So I've been thinking about playing the yugioh tcg, I've been reading the rules and I think I'm somewhat familiar them...

So I've been thinking about playing the yugioh tcg, I've been reading the rules and I think I'm somewhat familiar them. What do you think Sup Forums? Is this a fun card game to get into?

Game is cancerous, way to hard to understand, outdated and not fun. Play MTG instead. Or even Hearthstone or Duelyst if you're into online gaming.

Used to be fun. Now it's a power creep bullshit fest.

Just find people to play gen 1 & 2 cards with. Everything after that is complex bullshit.

It is fun, but many of the players turn me off from the game with their playing styles: their field is a mess with the cards all over the place, they fiddle with their cards and shake their legs with anxiousness while you play, they used annoying unofficial lingo like "bounce" and other stuff. But it is fun with the right people.

What about getting together with a few friends and learning together? I just wanna have some fun with the guys.

Find some homies to play with. Competitive scene is a joke tbh. Casual play is where it's at. Make some dope ass decks with any cards you want, who cares about the banlist. Kick back with beers and that's a solid night.

It doesn't seem too hard?

Exactly. that's all I want to do. Is get together with some buddies and have a good night.

Yeah, that could be really fun. Also, you would not have to focus on having the best deck. What I mean is that you and your friends could go old school for the sake of fun and agree to use cards that existed prior to 2011 or some random year instead of worrying about keeping your deck up-to-date. I miss the days when there were no Pendulum cards, orXYZ monsters, or even Synchro monsters haha

I recommend using YGOPRO (hopefully you use windows or linux). Its got the whole yugioh card database on there. You can test out different archetypes and decks until you find stuff you like. There's AI mode, local LAN and even online multiplayer. Then you can go get your favourite shit irl.

This might sound cliche, but 1000 Dragon holy shit, my favorite fusion card from back in the day. I remember reading the yu-gi-oh! Manga and how it introduced the 1000 Dragon. Time wizard's effect had the chance to speed up time, and would make baby Dragon grow up. So cool. Joey beat mai that way, it also aged her Harpy ladies lmao.. ah all the rule breaking in the manga.. and anime lol.

The thing is cards' effects in YGO aren't picked in a list of simple and precisely defined abilities named by an often clear keyword like it is in Hearthstone (Deathrattle, Divine Shield, Charge, Taunt) or MTG (Flying, Flash, Trample, Hexproof).

Basically almost each card has a unique effect and such diversity often leads to situations where really precise and obscure rules are to be followed, to avoid the misunderstundings that can come with such a lack of clear and easy rules. If you really wanna play well, you'll have to learn spell speeds, the difference between an effect's activation and resolution, or the difference between a card being destroyed, tributed or sent to the graveyard and the precise order in which the different effect involved in a battle are to be resolved.

But really, it's not as hard as it seems. Jusr take the time to read the little rulebook you get with most of the premade decks and you'll be good to go, there's no need to be as knowledgeable as an official tournament referee if you want to play with your friends.

Note that I haven't been playing YGO for years now, and I haven't really played MTG, so I might be talking about things I don't know as well as I think I know.
And as someone else said, play only with cards from generation 1, 2 )and I'd add 3 but be careful), new archetypes are shitty and you don't need to add pendulum cards and XYZ shitto a game already rich and complex enough.
But as someone who loved that game, I can only encourage you to do as says and have your fun.

haha yeah
I remember being confused when I would read the card effects because they were not what the television show said. Also, how Flame Swordsman was actually a fusion card in real life, but Joey would always treat him like a regular monster on the field.

I run a Ghostrick deck, waddup.

Honestly even the new mechanics are not as bad as "oldschool" players make them out to be. Once you've got the basic idea down then it becomes second nature. I wouldn't suggest forcing yourself into only playing cards before 20XX. Just pick up some backs/starter deck and have fun with some friends.

I haven't seen any Yu-Gi-Oh cards since 3rd grade. My best friend had a ziplock bag packed with cards. Those were the days.

I already read the rule book lol. But aren't gen 1 and 2 cards expensive?

Depeneds on condition, but now they're useless in-game.

They might indeed be harder to find. Some online shops that specialize in card games can sell some of the old packs though.

it depends on the rarity. some could be reprints at somewhat low prices

They reprinted the really useful ones in new packs like the Battlepacks, that could really help you to gather nice old cards.

I have been in the YGO community for a while and personally OP it is expensive to first get into. On top of that tournaments are completely cancerous. It is more or less who can get the biggest thing out the fastest and is power creep bullshittery. That being said it is genuinely fun to play on things like duelist network or with a bunch of friends in real life and try out new things.