ITT: all style, no substance

ITT: all style, no substance

Style is the new substance. Welcome to 2017.

Is this the hot opinion thread?

Prince actually could play like 100000 different instruments and was the only nigger to be smart enough to own the rights to his music and not sell it off to some jew

Theres nothing wrong with style over substance.

Substance is a vague overarching concept that people use to make them feel good about their choices.

Style has now eclipsed substance as the primary clasp for intellect within art mediums.

2 of the 3 artists in this image are dead.
Can you guess which ones?
The answer may shock you.

Rihanna and rap?

I hope its not Bowie :(

>Rihanna
That's VERY clearly Alicia Keys, silly.

:(

Most forms of popular music outside of metal if we are to be honest. Post-modernism as a whole has allowed style over substance to run rampant, unfortunately even in the art music and experimental music circles as well to a certain extent. The metal genre generally though, understanding the advantages and limitations of popular music, chooses to work on optimizing the advantages of popular music. It's why the genre also gets a lot of hate, people focus mainly on its non-serious attempt at style yet rarely ever its beautiful attempts at substance.

Nu male garbage metal doesn't count though.

Tupac and Hitler?

Lefteye and Bowie. Dave Chapelle is still alive

Beyonce would have won more Grammys if she died.

the so called "nu male garbage metal" tho, is a breath of fresh air for the genre, which thrives on purism and bigotry, never really innovating itself or evolving

correct on 3/4

you're right, blackstar sucked

that goes for prince but not bowie. not to talk down on prince, because he was an incredible showman and a solid songwriter. the thing is prince was a performer first and musician second whereas bowie was the opposite

you've got it reversed

Metal is definitely style over substance. A lot of metal is about having an image that fits into whatever genre you're making, be it black metal, power metal, death metal, etc. You're right that a good chunk of metal isn't serious in this regard but I don't think that really matters as the style is what a lot of fans cling to and participate in. There's also plenty of metal bands that are completely serious in their adherence to the style.

>BLACKED star*

>mediums
Is this part of the bait? If so, bravo

You clearly haven't listened to Bowie. Just because an artist cares about the visual aspect, doesn't mean they abandon the musical aspect. Beyonce and Prince are shit though.

racist

>Beyoncé
You're not wrong.

Lauryn Hill and Chuck Berry?

in fact hes not wrong in all 3 cases

Not many artists have songs that pack a punch like Rock n' Roll Suicide, Station to Station, Sound & Vision, Heroes, Ashes to Ashes, and that's just listing Bowie's big ones. Bowie has lots of style, sometimes overdoing it, but to call him all style no substance is completely retarded.

>Prince
>No substance
You dumb cracker

kys

Not many artists have songs that pack a punch like Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Flawless, Countdown, Sorry, and that's just listing Beyonce's big ones. Beyonce has lots of style, sometimes overdoing it, but to call her all style no substance is completely retarded.

I never argued that Beyonce doesn't have style. I never listened to her music beyond Single Ladies, which is a nice song. I doubt any of those songs have the strength of Bowie's greatest though.

Fuck off cunt

this, prince is the exception here

you probably have a terrible taste in the art mediums

>and was the only nigger to be smart enough to own the rights to his music and not sell it off to some jew
Yeah and now almost nobody under 30 even knows his fucking music
good job lad

you're just obsessed with bowie's style and image

his music never had much substance, in fact he's the beyonce of his time

>he just doesn't have any substance, shut up
Explain this. Explain how the songs I listed are all style no substance. Explain how they're just style.

>caring about millennials

different guy, but putting shut up there implying his intentions in green text is pretty pathetic. Ofc Bowie has some substance but it's only style that makes him

it's just boring pop rock of that time, he never made anything legitimately interesting, he was only following music trends just like any other pop star ever did

those songs are generally nice, but saying they have much substance is retarded. he was a smart guy, and a master of creating the cool image, and you're just deluded by it

The millenial generation is about 30 years old right now.
Total non-response, so why did you even bother? You're doing the same thing as him, you're saying it's all style, or rather "it's only style that makes him", without being able to explain it.
What I mean with adding "shut up" is to show that he responds to me doubting the claim that Bowie is all style no substance by just saying nu-uh, he he's all style no substance. Saying literally nothing, just repeating the OP.

Again, you're not offering any explanation.
>following music trends
Heroes was following the music trends of the time? Hardly, with that Eno/Fripp combination. Rock n Roll suicide was following the trends of the time? He helmed that genre. Sound & Vision, following the trends of the time? In what way?

You're just saying general things, not explaining your point at all,and then calling me deluded.

>Again, you're not offering any explanation
can you read?
>it's just boring pop rock of that time
cool artsy glam rock with (or without) cool music videos is nothing special, and it was never special, i cant deny that those songs are well made, but that's really all, he was just another pop star following music trends as i said before

>Rock n Roll suicide
it's one of the least unique bowie songs among the least unique bowie songs, which makes me think your post is a joke

its weird that you didn't mention Lodger, it contains some of the weirdest bowie songs, and i can feel that he was trying to make something special, at least in a way those songs are combined