Star Trek

I've never watched any Star Trek, where do I start? Is it even worth getting into?

Other urls found in this thread:

picturesup.typepad.com/pictures-up/2010/08/my-favorite-star-trek-movie.html
ign.com/articles/2003/11/13/review-of-master-and-commander-the-far-side-of-the-world
trekbbs.com/threads/master-commander-and-star-trek.34813/
slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2003/11/naval_gazing.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gFq-37a7pk0&list=PLdazttmHDXbtgTLOANiP6vhZSxsvOLWEf
youtu.be/jfLze1zqsgQ?t=2m49s
startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html
thevideo.me/ihww64qzjg77
youtube.com/watch?v=jtmbzJNPsaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IiV40RFhpv8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should watch "THE BESTS" of the original series, then skip over Season 1 of TNG. You're golden.

Also, no, it isn't worth it.

Start with the last episode of enterprise and then work your way backwards

Jesus fucking Christ.

You're a goddamn monster.

No, do it chronilogically like Metal Gear.

Enterprise, Star Trek, the Star Trek movies, Next Gen, Deep Space Nine/Voyager? (Were they going on at the same time?) then all the Next Gen movies.

Start with season 2 TNG, skip any Wesley episodes.

Watch DS9, it's bretty good throughout.

Skip Voyager except for maybe the Doctor episodes and screenshots of 7-o-9 to fap to.

I actually ironically really enjoyed 'Enterprise'. I had some definite growing pains and a godawful themesong, but it was mostly fun and breathed some humanity back into the increasingly sterile Star Trek world. The first episode kicking off with a future redneck blowing away a Klington with a plasma shotgun was pure gold. Also, T'pol's clothes after she made the switch out of her brown catsuit were GOAT.

The problem with your analogy is that MGS is best taken in release-order. Twists and themes presented in one game are expounded on in the following game, and this flows naturally, regardless of the chronology. Playing them along their own time-line is going to be a fucking jumbled mess with tonal shifts all over the goddamn map from game to game.

That being said, Enterprise is best left in the dustbin of history. Not even it's best episodes are worth the fucking time it'll take to nod-off during them.

It's been a long road, getting from there to here.

>hating the theme song

But user, it's been a long road. Gettin' from there to here.

As someone who only finally started watching Trek because of the JJ movies finally piquing my interest, yes it's worth getting in to. Some of the early seasons of each series are really hit or miss but they all hold up really well. Start with the original series and watch all that shit. TNG, DS9, Voyager all the way through.

Honestly though you can probably skip enterprise. It's only ever okay at best.

>Is it even worth getting into?
you'll get the references and be able to post in the endless st threads here!

Watch everything, starting with TOS.

What to expect:
The Original Series gets worse after the first two years
The Next Generation gets better after the first two years
Deep Space Nine gets better after the first two years
Voyager gets better after the first three years
Enterprise gets better after the first two years

DS9 starts in the sixth year of TNG. The writing staff split up, with the good half going to DS9 and the bad half staying with TNG and then moving on to VOY after TNG ends. Because of this, DS9 is mostly good (with occasional bouts of pure garbage) and VOY is mostly mediocre (with occasional bouts of pure gold). Then all the good writers leave when VOY ends, and ENT has *only* the bad writers until they start hiring some fresh blood in the third season.

The movies are not as important as the television shows. Less than half of the movies are good, unless you count Galaxy Quest and Master & Commander as Star Trek movies (some people do). Watch them all though, except for the new shit.

what's with the episode order there?

The episodes were produced in one order but aired in another order.

why? the show would continually get better and better.

I guessed that but why would anyone care about the production order? The tos copy I have is named by airing order, that mean I have a pleb copy or something?

i want my own starship

>that mean I have a pleb copy or something?
Yes.

Production order means starting with WNMHGB and The Corbomite Maneuver, both of which are top-tier Trekinemas, guaranteed to ensure that any person watching them becomes a lifelong fan.

Air order means watching a fucking salt vampire put the audience to sleep.

Just watch the episodes with Q.

>Who Mourns For Adonis
>Bad

What a fag list.

It's "Who Mourns for Adonais?", not "Adonis". Turn in your card, you are not allowed to post in any Star Trek thread for the next 30 days.

this is pretty damn spot on

Will yet another Trek thread die?
God I hope so.

Start the two hour episode where Picard sees 5 lights.

I'll just take a look see at those digitals.

We can save it with forced memes.

>Yes, yes, well done, Starfleet Academy Class of 2258, well done. You all deserve your promotions from Cadets to Ensigns.
>HOWEVER

This episode always reminds me of that French song..

"Farrah Shaka, Farra Shaka, When Walls FELL!"
(WHEN WALLS FELL!)
"Darmok and Jilaaad"
(Darmok and Jilaaad!)
At tin AGRA
(At tin AGRA)

[repeat x3]

>you're all about to get killed in the next five minutes by FIRE EVERYTHING!

I'm sorry, sir, I didn't hear you, how much should we fire?

Post it!

(you know the pic, with people running)

What are some Star Trek plotholes and continuity errors?

I have never heard of Galaxy Quest or Master and Commander being thought of as Trek movies, so gonna need a source on that.

Biggest of them all is the Voyager pilot.
The premise of the entire show is flawed because Janeway's decision is made on the assumption that she is saving a race called the Ocampa but somehow all of the writers completely forgot that they wrote into the story that the Ocampa would lose power received from their Caretaker in five years and essentially have no place to go.
So her decision to destroy the array meant nothing and she stranded her crew having presumably forgotten that it wouldn't have mattered what she did with the array since the Ocampa were doomed.

ah, well kahn was originally an indian sikh played by a mexican...

Daily reminder

>Master and Commander
Just going through Google and giving you the first links that I see:

picturesup.typepad.com/pictures-up/2010/08/my-favorite-star-trek-movie.html
ign.com/articles/2003/11/13/review-of-master-and-commander-the-far-side-of-the-world
trekbbs.com/threads/master-commander-and-star-trek.34813/
slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2003/11/naval_gazing.html

>Galaxy Quest
You must live under a rock if you didn't know that Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek movie.

What do the flies represent? Novel writers?

Hornblower is also pretty good Trek

Additionally, every Ocampa female can only birth ONE child in their entire lifetime.

Not all children will be female, so every generation produces a smaller number of potential mothers than the prior generation.

With every generation, there will be fewer and fewer Ocampa, until finally there are zero.

The Voyager writers are so stupid that they wrote a race which literally underbreeds until extinction without realizing it.

The Ocampa were fucked with or without the Caretaker.

Not only that, in order to achieve full puberty, a parent must rub the child's feet during a specifically narrow window when they begin their reproductive growth or they may also never be able to have a child.

>be born Ocampa
>living the impossible life

It really sucks that timers don't exist in the future. If they did, Janeway could have attached timers to torpedoes and set them to blow up the Caretaker's Array *after* it sent Voyager home. But timers don't exist, so she couldn't do that.

Oh well.

Maybe they were a designer species intentionally retarded to prevent them from burning the entire quadrant down

>ywn rub kes's feet
triple dubs of suffering

EIther Start with TOS or TNG.
Both series are the stating points for their respective era's

Viewing order for Kirk era be TOS>The animated series> Movies.

Viewing order for Picard Era be TNG>DS9>Movies

Voyager, Enterprise, and the Abrams films are optional viewing.

Maybe there was a fetishist on the Voyager writing staff.

>Kes: Body matures faster than mind
>7 of 9: Body matures faster than mind
>Naomi Wildman: Body matures faster than mind
You can't tell me that this was a coincidence.

youtube.com/watch?v=gFq-37a7pk0&list=PLdazttmHDXbtgTLOANiP6vhZSxsvOLWEf

these videos point out some funny ones

Everytime you think Voyager gets too much criticism, this is all you need to remind you of how oblivious the writers were to their own fetid scripts.

I don't even know how Enterprise was picked up after seeing that Nielsen chart.

this, but i highly recommend starting with TNG. you could find TOS a bit dry if youre not into older shows

Garak may or may not have had relations to a varying degree with Ziyal.

There was definitely something going on, if small and unfurled.

That piece of art behind Miles looks like the Joy Division cover from Unknown Pleasures.

people give voyager too much shit imo, on the whole it was pretty good before the later seasons when they had way too many borg episodes and relationship drama episodes

there are some absolute 10/10 episodes in there too, like The Thaw

After hearing Bryan Fuller talk about how the head writers on Voyager didn't even like Star Trek, it's clear that Voyager didn't get enough shit.

I agree on stand-alone episodes, I just find it amazing that they weren't proof reading drafts and saying "Well wait, what about the Ocampa?" or that basic reproductive math just slipped through their skulls when deciding they could only have 1 kid.
It makes you wonder if it was intentional it's so egregious.

who cares what the writers thought? That alone has no impact on the show's quality, rewatching it as an adult I felt it was a pretty good sci-fi retelling of the odyssey.

was it ever said that they had genders in the same way humans do? Just because they have one kid and then die doesn't mean every Ocampa can't get pregnant. Though I agree its a bit silly.

Thanks for the links. I know that Galaxy Quest is a parody of Trek especially at the beggining as a slap to Shatner's ego and treatment of fans; but at best that is a movie that is tangential as are things like Trekkies and The Five Captains.

Ater going through the articles dealing with MaC the main idea and consensus is that Trek is a Hornblower in space. I can see that,also Wrath of Kahn =Moby Dick and Balance of Terror=The Enemy Below and some parts of Run Silent,Run Deep.

I can see your points I just don't agree with them.

As for living under a rock pretty close it is a basement level apartment (no,not my mom's ) and since being on this chan since '06 I am probably on the spectrum somewhere for mental illness. I rarely see things that are thoughtful on Sup Forums anymore so simply wanted to engage in discussion.No need for any level of salinity friend.

tl;dr I can see what your saying just don't wholly agree.

>The Thaw

Michael McKean was nothing less than perfect as Fear.

its probably my favorite episode of any trek

Maybe "Data's Day" from TNG is the best episode to start with if you've never seen any.

You've really never seen any?

>was it ever said that they had genders in the same way humans do?

No, but there was never any ambiguity thrust into the mix either about the Ocampa. They made Kes into voodoo telepathy prodigy as well and that god awful reprise with her was painful to watch. Another time loop episode that made no sense after the fact.

>who cares what the writers thought? That alone has no impact on the show's quality,
It has a HUGE impact on the show's quality.

When writers have no respect for a franchise, when they feel outright disdain for its audience, they aren't going to work hard on putting out a quality product. They're going to put out an inconsistent, directionless, half-assed product. Voyager could have been so much better if it was run by people who weren't ashamed of Star Trek, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

do time loops ever?

Well, sometimes I suppose.
But in that particular episode, she comes back to "save herself" but then they go out of their way to have Kes make a recording because somehow she's never going to remember what happened between the time she leaves Voyager and comes back for revenge... if you saw the episode you know what I'm talking about. It's like she just conveniently forgot all of that short or had selective amnesia.

The only fucking wesley episode worth skipping was the last one focused on him

>wesley wants to be in starfleet
>his entire fucking life was based around getting in to the academy
>convinces the most badass captain in starfleet to let him be an ensign on his ship
>gets to work with and be mentored with the literal best that starfleet has to offer
>gets academy credits for being a main member of the crew
>finally makes it in to the academy at the recommendation of Picard
>is doing fucking fantastic in the academy, save for a few minor hiccups involving peer pressure
>goes to visit the enterprise while the academy was on break
>suddenly turns in to a starfleet hating treehugger in a single week because of starfleet trying to save the earth's native american population who decided to resettle on a planet that was going to be fucked over by the cardassians, who were going to kill them all
>show writers realize that they made him too much of a cunt for no reason in a single episode so they decide to pull out an ancient plot point and turn wesley in to a literal god who can stop and manipulate time itself
>skip ahead to one of the TNG movies
>he's fucking gone back to starfleet with no explination as to why

>>is doing fucking fantastic in the academy, save for a few minor hiccups involving peer pressure
He killed a kid.

youtu.be/jfLze1zqsgQ?t=2m49s

>Want this model bad
>Suck shit at model construction/painting

Goddamn though the Polar Lights models are fucking sex.

Writers don't really matter that much

Imagine if it was Ron Moore, Bryan Fuller, Joe Menosky, and Rene Echevarria with occasional help from Piller, Berman, Taylor and Braga.

I feel like Braga did his best work when there was a team effort that forced him to consider carefully the canon and previous actions taken by characters. Then, Berman henpecks his boy after Michael Piller says fuck you guys and suddenly it's Borg this, Borg that, to the point of nausea and malaise.

Watch it all you fucking autist
>Season 2 of DS9 here.

Are you seriously suggesting that DS9 episodes are better than later TNG

I wonder why only Wil Wheaton and Garrett Wang explicitly announced undying hatred for Rick Berman. Did he ask for sexual favors or something?

Right, there's also direction:
>Where do I begin when it comes to answering what I thought were the missed opportunities on Voyager? I think it would be best if we go back to the beginning. When casting ended on Voyager, all the actors were invited by executive producer Rick Berman to attend a congratulatory luncheon. It was during this lunch that Berman informed us that he expected all actors portraying human roles to follow his decree. He told us that we were to underplay our human characters. He wanted our line delivery to be as military -- and subsequently devoid of emotion -- as possible, since this, in his opinion, was the only way to make the aliens look real.

>skip ahead to one of the TNG movies
>he's fucking gone back to starfleet with no explination as to why
Same with Worf. Retired from Starfleet? Official Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire? Just kidding. Didn't the director know?

Another fascinating tidbit about Star Trek direction:
>After the release and subsequent failure of Star Trek Nemesis at the box office, actors LeVar Burton and Marina Sirtis criticized Baird for not being knowledgeable about the Star Trek universe and for not even watching a single episode of Next Generation. Sirtis said that TNG was about the relationships of the crew, and Baird did not take that into account. Burton remarked on how, during the first six weeks of shooting Nemesis, Baird kept calling him "Laverne" and kept referring to his character as an alien. [1] [2] Production designer Herman Zimmerman described Baird as "a really good editor and as before we started shooting he was charming…as soon as cameras started rolling he became impossible to work with, nothing satisfied him". [3]

Did you ever watch TNG season 7?

>Parallels
>The Pegasus
>Lower Decks
>Thine Own Self
>Preemptive Strike
>All Good Things
The only good episodes.

The rest of the season belongs in the trash. Even Masaka and Korgano. Even cellular peptide cake with mint frosting.

Trash.

I liked that episode, its the only time in the whole show when they allowed Picard to be wrong and someone stands up to him.

This is literally the only correct way. And if you skip an episode, just give up.

startreklist.blogspot.com/2011/04/list-of-all-star-trek-episodes-sorted_05.html

DS9 was absolute shit though a good 85% of the time. Every single Sisko episode was shit. Every single Bajoran episode was shit. Every Keiko episode was shit. Every single "Odo tries to find his people" episode was shit. Pretty much the entire dominion war arc was absolute shit.

The only episodes worth watching out of DS9 were the ferengi episodes, the Bashir/O'Brien episodes, the klingon episodes, the garrick episodes, and most of the cardassian centered episodes, especially those with Dukat. The one Sisko episode that wasn't shit was the one where he was rubber banding through time and was tied to Jake.

I mean if we go strictly by like, plot and writing then yes maybe DS9 had some more interesting things going on. But if we're judging it as a whole, matured TNG was still a better show than DS9 at that time and maybe any time. DS9 suffered from some of its characters and was great for others

Garrett Wang is pretty well known for speaking very openly about what a clusterfuck working on Voyager was and his experiences with other pretentious fuckwit actors.

Garrett Wang is a fan favourite because of it and how down to earth he is, I've seen numerous fans say how Garret came over and spoke to them for like half an hour and shit in his own time.

Wil Wheaton I think is a bit the same, pretty open to talk about the shit that went down, giving some back for how shit his character was.

You don't say? Any information about Jeri Ryan and President Obama?

This

Brannon Braga wanted Year of Hell to last a full season, but Rick Berman wouldn't let him.

Also, consider the following:
>Ron Moore joined Voyager for season 6
>Moore left Voyager because Berman & Braga wouldn't let him do anything
>Moore rebooted Battlestar Galactica with his leftover ideas from Voyager
>Battlestar Galactica had two perfect years before sliding into shit
>Voyager had two years left when Moore joined
Ron Moore could have made Voyager s6 and s7 into pure perfection if he had only been given the freedom.

Imagine the bleak realism of BSG's situation... but with the optimism of Star Trek, the enlightened humanity that strives to continue bettering itself, the irrepressible urge to explore and understand the universe, and the eternal drive to meet and befriend all life we can find.

What point are you trying to make here?

Is there a limit on the number of times that a quote is allowed to be posted? If so, I apologize for posting without your permission.

Janeway killed a Tuvix on purpose, just because she wanted to get Tuvok back, even though he wanted to remain how he was. She also erased ~20 years of history just because.

Wesley killed someone on accident and showed remorse and was willing to accept his punishment. Janeway never lived up to any of her fuckups.

Wang was a fucking fantastic dude for putting up with all the shit he was thrown during VOY and is still a fantastic dude to this day.

>Constantly shit on throughout VOY
>His dream was to direct a single episode of star trek, something that every main character's actor has done, but was denied that just because the producers hated him
>The only reason he wasn't killed off the show was because he won a most handsome man thing in a magazine
>Loved Jeri and Kate like family, even though they hated eachother and actually broke out in tears over how much it hurt him to see them fight
>Is a fucking bro at conventions and loves to talk openly about trek, and is an actual trek fan

It's universally agreed that the TNG movies are all absolute shit.

Was Picard wrong?

>Natives decide to fuck off to another planet because HURR DURR STOLE MUH LAND CAN'T STEAL MUH RELIGIOUS PLANET
>Planet is involved in a treaty with the Cardassians
>Cardassians want to reclaim the planet
>Threaten to kill or enslave anyone who remains on it
>Picard is sent to get them the fuck out and save the culture since pretty much every single native american lives on this planet now
>They refuse to leave because MUH RELIGION
>Wesley would rather see them all die or be enslaved than give up their land
>Basically a rehash of an earlier episode where Data needs to evacuate the thriving remnants of a crashed colony ship or be obliterated by aliens
>Entire point of this episode was to shit on the american colonists for stealing the native american's land

>What point are you trying to make here?
That the stale regurgitation of the sole anti-Voyager poster is ruining star trek threads

apology accepted, PROVISIONALLY

don't let it happen again

>there's only one anti-Voyager poster
You are being dishonest.

If you want to end this conversation, then this is a fine place to end it, because your dishonesty has made me lose all respect I had for you.

>ds9
>shit

WEW
E
W

Yes, yes, well done, mon capitan, well done.

HOWEVER

first contact was alright, even though it ruined the concept of the borg by adding the borg queen (or had that already been introduced?)

When they're first introduced in "Q Who" they were so much cooler as a totally leaderless collective with all minds linked up to the point that the individual no longer has any real meaning and all decisions large and small are made by the mind of the many. It was so rare in star trek for them to come up with an alien race that truly was unknowably alien, rather than just SPACE ROMANS or somesuch. The experience of being a member of the borg collective (as it was originally shown) is something that is impossible to understand without participating in it, and I really liked that.

But then they had to go fuck it up and add a leader to the hive mind because it makes a better villain for the movie than a nebulous consciousness, relegating the individual borg members to being mindless drones. Those who are assimilated are mere appendages of the queen, rather than their minds being incorporated into a new type of being.

>Was Picard wrong?
I think so, forcibly removing people from their homes against their will because of a treaty they had no say in is at the very least morally questionable. Doubly so given the disturbing historical parallels it had.

Can you name me any good episodes from the ones I said were shit? Any bad ones from the ones I said were good?

Take a second to remember how shit DS9 actually was for the most part.

Remember when the Bajorans blew up the school for giving a neutral education for multiple species instead of a religious one meant for bajorans?

Remember when a group of less than 10 farmers fucked over the entire economy of Bajor for an entire year just because they wanted to keep a piece of farm equipment that wouldn't even feed the local province for a year? While that same piece of farm equipment could have fed the entire planet AND produce enough food to establish Bajor's first planetary export since the cardassian occupation?

Remember when the same group of farmers decided to overthrow the entire bajoran government and replace it's leader with one of the leaders of the rebellion with no political experience just because they didn't like the current leader? The same leader who was actually making them a member of the galactic community again and was putting them on the path of success, even if it meant hurting some feelings along the way? Remember how that worked out and how Bajor got royally assfucked under the new leadership and got set back to the same disarray it was in right after the occupation ended?

And shit, that was just about bajorans. Don't get me started on Sisko episodes, or the trainwreck that was the dominion arc.

Don't forget that Picard didn't want to relocate them at first but only did so after he was convinced there was no other safe way to do so. The native people gave zero shits that them not moving to a new planet in the same sector with near identical conditions as the one they were on would start a war between the federation and cardassia. Picard even prevented the cardys from murdering the entire population after wesley started a riot and made them attack cardassian site surveyors.

>Remember when the Bajorans blew up the school for giving a neutral education for multiple species instead of a religious one meant for bajorans?
Yeah, that was a good episode. Even Keiko was great in it.

Like, can you not enjoy an episode if there are people in it that you disagree with?

I've never watched an episode of star trek. These series ranking threads are always interesting though and I have no idea why.

sounds like a pretty accurate representation of Palestinians to me

watch some startrek user, its good

thevideo.me/ihww64qzjg77

No excuses now.

>Take a second to remember how shit DS9 actually was for the most part.
it was a space station. no comie exploration like next generation or womanizing like the original

it was literally like a space truck stop in the middle of no where. i dont blame the writers or the cast. i blame the guy who pitched the idea to the network

and yet it's the best star trek

never watched star trek?

well give this a watch, and see if it seems like its your thing

2 of my favorite episodes
youtube.com/watch?v=jtmbzJNPsaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IiV40RFhpv8

It was a shit episode not because I disagreed with the message, but because it was the start of a chain of shit episodes involving Keiko, and no one was punished for their actions because the entire Bajoran plot was overall a clusterfuck of frustration and they had plot armor that made it so that no matter what they did wrong, no one was punished for it and it always tried to make them to be the ones in the right, even when it was clear that wasn't the case.

DS9's biggest flaw was that it's main arcs and story lines were all absolute shit.

The subplots were the best episodes, and so were the ones focusing on minor main cast members or the interactions between main cast members.

>Ferengi episodes
>Bashir/Garrack
>Bashir/O'Brien
>Klingons
>Dax
>Garrack/Dukat
>Cardassian Occupation not focused on Bajorans
>Cardassians not involving Bajor

And so on.

>tfw O'Brien chose Keiko's cheating ass over the loyal, fertile Cardassian waifu scientist
;_;7

>it's bad because it's not a simplistic children's story where the bad guys are always punished at the end
I have to stop talking with you because I'm laughing too hard.

Go watch some superhero movies instead maybe?