Which is the best second language to learn and why?

Which is the best second language to learn and why?

English, The majority of the western world speaks it.

Java or Python

rap. so you can relate to your 'son'

I was thinking spoken languages but I know the basics of both of those. I'm a little rusty though.

English if it's not your first language. If it is then... Nothing really. French perhaps? It's not really a requirement to learn anything other than English tbh.

Mandarin is my favorite to learn
It's pretty easy to learn to speak, but the writing system is so ancient that it hurts
Saying that you can speak Mandarin is pretty great on an application or resume, too, simply because of its reputation

like people complain about how it being a tonal language makes it hard but honestly it's a lot easier to pick up than you'd think

English is my first language so I was thinking Swedish. I've tried Spanish and don't like France.

Russian

Esperanto

This

linguist here, ridiculously hard for English speakers

easied one or traditional?

lel

Depends on your workingfield,aspirations in life,etc. Can you tell us something about it?

C >> Java

they're both logographic systems so who gives a damn any logography is memorization to the thousands of symbols so it's hard either way

The best languages are English, English, English, and maybe even English.

Orcish

Arabic.

You can anger and threaten the refugees by saying you fucked their mother in their native tongue and get them arrested.

C++

linguist again
Arabic is cool, it's got an interesting verbal root system, a relatively simple writing system - yeah, cool second language

>C
>almost the same as c++ except not as useful
>even using either for anything but writing drivers

Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish, in that order. Chinese, because 1.1 billion Mandarin speakers in the world. English, because widely accepted worldwide. Spanish because primary language of numerous countries.

I'm part of the Movie / Games industry and I might work in the US for a period of time during my life.
I know english and Norwegian, Should I pick up Spannish incase I live in a state with a lot of hispanics?

I'm studying engineering right now and hope to go in to the automotive field. Perhaps German (VW, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz) or Japanese (Toyota, Nissan, Subaru) would be better.

Italian. If you learn italian then you have the base for spanish, greek, and french. (Along with basic english.)

Spanish

If you live in US near the border than Spanish is a fantastic 2nd language to have on your resume

If you're from burgerland : Spanish
If you're from UK : American english

Native English speaker, fluent in Spanish bc parents. Taking a French college course. Too ez, once you get one of the romantic languages down the others are ez.

I'm from her majesties kingdom and I can desiphere Yank talk pretty well.

>Java

ignorant fool detected

I have no experience of speaking to both of native speakers, so can you tell me if is it hard for american understand UK speaker in common?

Wow, compelling argument.

English rules the world my nigga and therefore your command of it is what matters. So learn your ass up some Latin and Greek then learn French (as a spoken language) because many of the world's niggers, sand monkeys, spics and chinks speak that and you'll need to commonunibate with them authoritatively without getting down on their level (by showing them you wasted a lot of time learning their filthy ways)

First of all, learn to spell "Spanish" in English before you can consider learning the language, and secondly be prepared to work on the shittiest of shitty games, and getting fired a lot.

Depending on thickness of accent, it's really easy.

I'm not sure. You'll have to ask an American.

This is now a science shitposting thread:

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory concerning the electromagnetic, weak, and strong nuclear interactions, as well as classifying all the subatomic particles known. It was developed throughout the latter half of the 20th century, as a collaborative effort of scientists around the world.[1] The current formulation was finalized in the mid-1970s upon experimental confirmation of the existence of quarks. Since then, discoveries of the top quark (1995), the tau neutrino (2000), and the Higgs boson (2012) have given further credence to the Standard Model. Because of its success in explaining a wide variety of experimental results, the Standard Model is sometimes regarded as the "theory of almost everything".

Although the Standard Model is believed to be theoretically self-consistent[2] and has demonstrated huge and continued successes in providing experimental predictions, it does leave some phenomena unexplained and it falls short of being a complete theory of fundamental interactions. It does not incorporate the full theory of gravitation[3] as described by general relativity, or account for the accelerating expansion of the universe (as possibly described by dark energy). The model does not contain any viable dark matter particle that possesses all of the required properties deduced from observational cosmology. It also does not incorporate neutrino oscillations (and their non-zero masses).

I love those

A quark (/ˈkwɔːrk/ or /ˈkwɑːrk/) is an elementary particle and a fundamental constituent of matter. Quarks combine to form composite particles called hadrons, the most stable of which are protons and neutrons, the components of atomic nuclei.[1] Due to a phenomenon known as color confinement, quarks are never directly observed or found in isolation; they can be found only within hadrons, such as baryons (of which protons and neutrons are examples) and mesons.[2][3] For this reason, much of what is known about quarks has been drawn from observations of the hadrons themselves.

Quarks have various intrinsic properties, including electric charge, mass, color charge, and spin. Quarks are the only elementary particles in the Standard Model of particle physics to experience all four fundamental interactions, also known as fundamental forces (electromagnetism, gravitation, strong interaction, and weak interaction), as well as the only known particles whose electric charges are not integer multiples of the elementary charge.

There are six types of quarks, known as flavors: up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom.[4] Up and down quarks have the lowest masses of all quarks. The heavier quarks rapidly change into up and down quarks through a process of particle decay: the transformation from a higher mass state to a lower mass state. Because of this, up and down quarks are generally stable and the most common in the universe, whereas strange, charm, bottom, and top quarks can only be produced in high energy collisions (such as those involving cosmic rays and in particle accelerators). For every quark flavor there is a corresponding type of antiparticle, known as an antiquark, that differs from the quark only in that some of its properties have equal magnitude but opposite sign.

Dude, you might as well learn some spanish, since, like french, it's very similar to english. You listen to the mexicants speak and you laugh, but you never use the language in their presence.

praise the shitpost
The Higgs boson is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is the quantum excitation of the Higgs field,[6][7] a fundamental field of crucial importance to particle physics theory[7] first suspected to exist in the 1960s. Unlike other known fields such as the electromagnetic field, it takes a non-zero constant value almost everywhere. The question of the Higgs field's existence has been the last unverified part of the Standard Model of particle physics and, according to some, "the central problem in particle physics".[8][9]

The presence of this field, now believed to be confirmed, explains why some fundamental particles have mass when, based on the symmetries controlling their interactions, they should be massless. The existence of the Higgs field would also resolve several other long-standing puzzles, such as the reason for the weak force's extremely short range.

Although it is hypothesised that the Higgs field permeates the entire Universe, evidence for its existence has been very difficult to obtain. In principle, the Higgs field can be detected through its excitations, manifested as Higgs particles, but these are extremely difficult to produce and detect. The importance of this fundamental question led to a 40 year search, and the construction of one of the world's most expensive and complex experimental facilities to date, CERN's Large Hadron Collider,[10] in an attempt to create Higgs bosons and other particles for observation and study. On 4 July 2012, the discovery of a new particle with a mass between 125 and 127 GeV/c2 was announced; physicists suspected that it was the Higgs boson.

Hola amigo

Arrgh. That fucking alphabet. Seriously easier to just learn fucking Klingon.

>Which is the best second language to learn
>second language
>English

Looks like you don't speak English, friendo.

A neutron star is the collapsed core of a large star (10–29 solar masses). Neutron stars are the smallest and densest stars known to exist.[1] With a radius on the order of 10 km, they can, however, have a mass of about twice that of the Sun. They result from the supernova explosion of a massive star, combined with gravitational collapse, that compresses the core past the white dwarf star density to that of atomic nuclei. Most of the basic models for these objects imply that neutron stars are composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles with no net electrical charge and with slightly larger mass than protons. They are supported against further collapse by neutron degeneracy pressure, a phenomenon described by the Pauli exclusion principle. If the remnant has too great a density, something which occurs in excess of an upper limit of the size of neutron stars at 2-3 solar masses, it will continue collapsing to form a black hole.

Neutron stars that can be observed are very hot and typically have a surface temperature around 6×105 K.[2][3][4][5][a] They are so dense that a normal-sized matchbox containing neutron-star material would have a mass of approximately 13 million tonnes, or a 2.5 million m3 chunk of the Earth (a cube with edges of about 135 metres).[6][7] They have strong magnetic fields, between 108 and 1015 times that of Earth's. The gravitational field at the neutron star's surface is about 2×1011 times that of the Earth's.

Sanskrit, it'll get you SJW chicks.

A lepton is an elementary, half-integer spin (spin  1⁄2) particle that does not undergo strong interactions.[1] Two main classes of leptons exist: charged leptons (also known as the electron-like leptons), and neutral leptons (better known as neutrinos). Charged leptons can combine with other particles to form various composite particles such as atoms and positronium, while neutrinos rarely interact with anything, and are consequently rarely observed. The best known of all leptons is the electron.

There are six types of leptons, known as flavours, forming three generations.[2] The first generation is the electronic leptons, comprising the electron (
e−
) and electron neutrino (
ν
e); the second is the muonic leptons, comprising the muon (
μ−
) and muon neutrino (
ν
μ); and the third is the tauonic leptons, comprising the tau (
τ−
) and the tau neutrino (
ν
τ). Electrons have the least mass of all the charged leptons. The heavier muons and taus will rapidly change into electrons and neutrinos through a process of particle decay: the transformation from a higher mass state to a lower mass state. Thus electrons are stable and the most common charged lepton in the universe, whereas muons and taus can only be produced in high energy collisions (such as those involving cosmic rays and those carried out in particle accelerators).

Leptons have various intrinsic properties, including electric charge, spin, and mass. Unlike quarks however, leptons are not subject to the strong interaction, but they are subject to the other three fundamental interactions: gravitation, electromagnetism (excluding neutrinos, which are electrically neutral), and the weak interaction.

A black hole is a region of spacetime exhibiting such strong gravitational effects that nothing—not even particles and electromagnetic radiation such as light—can escape from inside it.[1] The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform spacetime to form a black hole.[2][3] The boundary of the region from which no escape is possible is called the event horizon. Although crossing the event horizon has enormous effect on the fate of the object crossing it, it appears to have no locally detectable features. In many ways a black hole acts like an ideal black body, as it reflects no light.[4][5] Moreover, quantum field theory in curved spacetime predicts that event horizons emit Hawking radiation, with the same spectrum as a black body of a temperature inversely proportional to its mass. This temperature is on the order of billionths of a kelvin for black holes of stellar mass, making it essentially impossible to observe.

Objects whose gravitational fields are too strong for light to escape were first considered in the 18th century by John Michell and Pierre-Simon Laplace. The first modern solution of general relativity that would characterize a black hole was found by Karl Schwarzschild in 1916, although its interpretation as a region of space from which nothing can escape was first published by David Finkelstein in 1958. Black holes were long considered a mathematical curiosity; it was during the 1960s that theoretical work showed they were a generic prediction of general relativity. The discovery of neutron stars sparked interest in gravitationally collapsed compact objects as a possible astrophysical reality.

nobody is this retarded.
oh well, here goes: some people are not born in the usa.

>first half of thread
>second half of thread

General relativity (GR, also known as the general theory of relativity or GTR) is the geometric theory of gravitation published by Albert Einstein in 1915[2] and the current description of gravitation in modern physics. General relativity generalizes special relativity and Newton's law of universal gravitation, providing a unified description of gravity as a geometric property of space and time, or spacetime. In particular, the curvature of spacetime is directly related to the energy and momentum of whatever matter and radiation are present. The relation is specified by the Einstein field equations, a system of partial differential equations.

Some predictions of general relativity differ significantly from those of classical physics, especially concerning the passage of time, the geometry of space, the motion of bodies in free fall, and the propagation of light. Examples of such differences include gravitational time dilation, gravitational lensing, the gravitational redshift of light, and the gravitational time delay. The predictions of general relativity have been confirmed in all observations and experiments to date. Although general relativity is not the only relativistic theory of gravity, it is the simplest theory that is consistent with experimental data. However, unanswered questions remain, the most fundamental being how general relativity can be reconciled with the laws of quantum physics to produce a complete and self-consistent theory of quantum gravity.

For jobs in major computer industries, or foreign industrial practices
Japanese, Korean, or Mandarin

German is good, and it will help if you find a career where you're immersed in working within the companies you mention. Keep in mind the executives that you would deal with probably speak English better than you'll ever speak German. I'm not as familiar with the Japanese, but in my experience, their English is wanting. So that might be more useful. Also, Japanese is far more alien, so even a smattering of knowledge should help you get oriented (so to speak) more quickly if you end up going there. German's relatively close to English, and you should be able to learn it almost by osmosis if you go there. Chinese is of course good because of the market potential, but they don't engineer - they steal designs.

She needs more makeup. Can still see the bumps in her skin. Try wallboard paste.

Oooo... a moderator wannbe!

English if it's not your first langue.
Mandarin Chinese if English is your first langue.

Why?
Because English is current universal. Everybody speaks it. And if world goes the way it does Mandarin will be next universal langue.

Whatever you do don't learn french. It is the shittiest of langues and french are assholes anyway.

russian or chinese, so we can communicate with our future overlords

english cuz It's easy as fuck and you can communicate almost everywhere

agreed. dont do ruski
tried russian as my 6th and no sir ee did that go well

cool language no doubt

think PRACTICAL
learn spanish because it can get you paid more in burgerland USA. anything else and you will lose the language quickly (go a couple years without usage and youll basically forget everything)

oh and START WITH PIMSLEUR
don't rosetta
don't duolingo
don't anime you fuckin weeb
buy it and thank me later

English or Japanese/Chinese. The reason for this is their foundations are completely different so it really gives you a new perspective on how language could be done. It also makes you hate them both because each got things so right, and so very, very wrong.

I fucking hate Russian.

Im a native english speaker, i've perfected russian language and im currently learning japanese. Will learn german afterwards, and then...we'll see.

А вообще, русский очень страшно звучит. Им только друзей пугать. Может быть Россия захватит мир, вот тогда пригодится.

No, though we use different words for things. Flashlight vs torch, turn signal vs indicator, etc. But unless you are retarded it's pretty easy (and neat, imo) to figure out.