Why do people make music without learning Theory?

Why do people make music without learning Theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_system_of_ancient_Greece
youtu.be/_z0pxo96yiQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do people make music?

Because good music comes from the heart not the brain.

Because you're over thinking the concept of music like most fedora wearing assholes

Read a book

>muh intellect

*tip*

>without theory
>"Hey let's make truly creative music. There are no boundaries!"

>with theory
>"Dude what are you doing? Theory says you should play an Am7 chord, not a D6 chord."
>"B-but it sounds awesome"
>"not according to theory, asshole"

Your super le ironic meme picture doesn't refute anything. You need to know music theory to get anywhere as a musician.

listen to a record

i hope you're memeing

If you write something that sounds good without using music theory there was probably theory used regardless of you knowing it since you are copying previous musicians that come from a long line of tradition.

You're demonstrably wrong. Quit being a little cunt.

Sorry I'm so right, little layman

A lot of the best and most creative musicians in history, never learned music theory.

Case in point, pic related

cnce you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct you can do whatever you want

>theory
>overthinking
Year, only a fedora uses shit like chords or time signatures.

>without theory
>"Hey let's make truly creative music but not have the ability to communicate properly our ideas!"

tru dat

The thing is, it depends on what you mean by 'theory'. By simply copying chord charts and playing really basic shit you know at least a bit of theory. Technically though it isnt theory, so as long as you know what your doing and aren't as dumb as pig shit it doesnt matter

t. someone who bought into all the memes and actually has not read more than a Wikipedia page on music theory

this

thats becuse hendrix is the theory user

Chords and time signatures aren't really music theory. Both can be learned by just messing around and hearing what sounds good.

Music is all in the mind

my name is giovanni georgio

i hope this wasn't a sincere question to begin with. it's obvious many musicians have been extremely successful without having an expansive knowledge of music theory.

This is my understanding of it too I feel like it is an entirely different language

Because music doesn't have to be Mozart in order to be good

How are you gonna break the rules without rules?

Because it's 2017 and they want to make trap instead of jazz or classical

>Get an English major before writing a book

>You're demonstrably wrong. Quit being a little cunt.
Try auditioning for a jazz band then and let us know how that works out with for you.

this

Because music theory stems from ingenious, honest music

not everyone wants to play in a jazz band? I'm not that other guy, (there definitely is a value in learning some theory), but it really isn't necessary to know music theory to play the genres most people want to (surprise surprise: not everyone likes jazz).

I spend more of my time on /lit/ than I do on Sup Forums.

Explain, using a completely logical proof with premises and definitions that are absolutely irrefutable, how and why knowledge of theory is a necessity for making "good" music, using also a definition of "good" that is irrefutably correct.

Jazz is art music. Learning about how art music is made can only help with whatever else you want to make.

true, but it isn't necessary to make good music

Western music theory is simply a description of why music is good. The good music that it describes devloped out of centuries of increasing emotional, thematic, and harmonic complexity. When theorists wanted to know why the music they were listening to was so emotionally fulfilling, they "decoded" it. Music theory is the summation of what they learned.

I won't disagree with that. But personally I wouldn't be content with making good music on my own without learning how it could be constructed even better.

this

>it's old therefore it's good

>tfw been playing an instrument for months now and still don't know how to read sheet music

Music theory is so overrated. Chords, the way they move, the way you write them, is something unique to a lot of artists. And honestly anyone who is good will just figure out what sounds nice with some years of practice and experimentation. I can make an entire song without even knowing what key it's in (cuz all my synths are in different root keys) I just use my ears, and I'm doing fairly well for myself

Everything is an acquired ability. To say you need to learn music theory before making music is like saying you must take language classes before speaking that language, which clearly isn't true. But maybe I'm just full of shit and ancient, nomadic Greek muses plucking away on their lyre were just plebs who needed to study music theory.

There is music that men with music education make. For example, progressive rock is mix of classic music and rock. And music forms is in that stuff hard. Any second during listening Genesis, Jethro Tull brings something new

No relation to what I posted. The fact that the music was written before you were born and the fact that it is good do not affect each other. I didn't mention recent music because that was written after the development of music theory. Try a little harder next time.

>something unique to a lot of artists
But obviously some artists do this better than others. You literally cannot write better voice leading than what you find in Bach's chorales, or in a Charlie Parker improvisation. So why not study them?
>figure out what sounds nice with some years of practice
And if I told you you could halve that time and move on to other things, would you still say that it's overrated?
>I can make an entire song without even knowing what key it's in
There are artists that expertly move between keys to make music more elegant and they did it using their ears, and now we now how to teach it.

What is with Sup Forums's anti-intellectual attitude?

>just plebs who needed to study music theory
Except they literally did. Next.

>I wouldn't be content with making good music on my own without learning how it could be constructed even better
I'm the same way. It just seems that you were saying that nobody could make good music without knowing music theory.

This was my first post. That was someone else.

Except they literally didn't. Next.

huh. Well we ended a conversation we didn't even start.

At least we agree though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_system_of_ancient_Greece

because its fun and i stoned u fucking prick

I only can read tabs :^)

Adrian Belew also didn't know music theory and he wasn't able to read sheet music when he joined Zappa's band. And to Zappa's surprise, he wasn't able to give a name to exactly what he was playing, but he knew full well what he was doing. Here's an interview with him:
youtu.be/_z0pxo96yiQ

I just listened to Helter Skelter again. God damn, Paul is an absolute mad lad.

>Reading
>Learning stuff

guffaw

He's such a fantastic guitar player.

Hendrix definitely knew theory, he had been playing for years beforethe jimi hendrix experience, both in and out of bands

i hate this fucking "jimi didnt know theory meme"

>Westing youre time reading instead of listening music

>tfw you love music
>tfw you are learning theory

>asks why people make music without knowing theory
>posts one of the most celebrated songwriters of the 20th century who reached some of the greatest artistic and commercial achievements in recorded music with zero musical training or knowledge
>did so with his friend who also has zero musical training or knowledge