Guess what, it's another Nine Inch Nails thread since now it's cool to like them

The most underrrated NIN song
youtube.com/watch?v=gDQjbWMQWhY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9Y3-Av2Sw
youtube.com/watch?v=9kzqnGMBHRw
youtube.com/watch?v=RkT-aMgZvQI
youtube.com/watch?v=SPuVy65V1uQ&t=2053s
youtube.com/watch?v=bn496_tgqIk
youtube.com/watch?v=AipYaev9DVI
youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g
youtube.com/watch?v=rIsAazPVnFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=y7fsHtkNU7w
youtube.com/watch?v=rwc-amI7AmE
youtube.com/watch?v=FJTzc3zrIrw
youtube.com/watch?v=g6YWTjc8Sp8
youtube.com/watch?v=l-GwX5x1cio
itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.0ba858f0-c8ca-11e6-aad1-cedaf9b5f6ce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The most underrrated NIN song
youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9Y3-Av2Sw

This one is also real nice

not necessarily within the NIN discography, but definitely overall The Fragile is such an underrated album

Probably my second favourite NIN song, right behind Reptile

trent dressed like a fag = cool music
trent dressed like a normie = not so cool music

GOD IS DEAD AND NO ONE CARES

I don't get some of Trent's lyrics. I get it's a concept album but he still could have done that without being that edgy.

good choice

my choices:

youtube.com/watch?v=9kzqnGMBHRw

and

youtube.com/watch?v=RkT-aMgZvQI

But I also think, that since most people who like nin, really like nin, there are no really underrated songs, at least not by fans.

Yeah, fortunately there's not a lot of people who just like Closer nowadays. Some of songs are more underlooked than overrated really.

This. Plus the statement isnt even true

Purest Feeling album is fucking rad.

youtube.com/watch?v=SPuVy65V1uQ&t=2053s

Mr. Self Destruct is a Nietzsche quoting edge master who gets his ass handed to him when God is killed. By Closer everything is falling apart.

And you have to remember that while this sort of sentiment is common now, this was kind of the first mainstream exposure to this sort of sentiment in music.

The Fragile- Where Is Everybody
Things Fall Apart- The Frail (Remix)
Pretty Hate Machine- The Only Time

So So True

youtube.com/watch?v=bn496_tgqIk

you are all wrong, this is the most underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=AipYaev9DVI

Depression Core Nails

I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally
Lights In The Sky
While I'm Still Here

Lights In The Sky is a great song.

>*record scratch*

tfw this was written after Aaliyah was killed and it was written after it came out she was trying to set up a collaboration with him because she adored The Fragile and his earlier work, to the point where she begged the MTV producers to introduce Nine Inch Nails when they were playing at the MTV music awards.

Mr.Self Destruct and "The Protagonist" are seperate living in the same body.

After God is killed, Mr. Self Destruct starts taking him apart, Mr. Self Destruct is the mechanical, evil side of him, the protagonist is humanity which starts vanishing more and more.

The Downward Spiral has a story?

Who's looking forward to their new album this year?

After 'Not The Actual Events' its gonna be great!

The time some drunk German kept screaming at Trent to play Head Like a Hole in the middle of Hurt.

youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g

>Some crazy manic violent spastic character is suppose to express himself eloquently and poetically

as long as it's more on the "dear world" and "burning bright" style of things...

the others are kinda like the 00s era, which isn't bad, but just not new/fresh

>Hesitation Marks Demo #82
>new/fresh

Dear World is literally Disappointed with a handful of Came Back Haunted samples

Burning Bright and The Thought Of You were my favorites on there.

>Thought

Totally.

Mr. Self Destruct, the track, is an intro to the album, it foreshadows certain events in the album. Imagine it being music intro for a movie.

Piggy is the start of the story, protagonist loses something that meant everything to him, a person, a girl, leaving him to freely fall into his destruction without anything to stop him, hence "Nothing can stop me now".

He seeks some sort of help and is introduced to God in Heresy, he finds out about God and is disgusted by him and aims to take him down, throughout the album he is now attempting to take control of his own life and destroy anything that may control him.

March Of The Pigs is him battling goverment due to the reasons mentioned above.

Closer is him seeking relief in drugs and sex giving him a sense of some control

Ruiner is him killing and winning over God, the line "Nothing can stop me now" returns with a different meaning now, nothing can stop him from controlling, he is the new God, literal one? Up to you.

In The Becoming, his humanity starts falling apart, the "machine" (mr. self destruct) is cathing up with him, you can imagine Mr. Self Destruct to be either a second personality of his or depression personifized.

I Do Not Want This is the protagonist and Mr.Self Destruct arguing, the protagonist trying to hold his huamnity together.

He loses his shit and loses, therefore in Big Man With A Gun he rapes or kills someone and becomes absolutely beyond help at this point

In Warm Place he rests, perhaps he is doing drugs, but he is also potetionally coming to temrs what has happened, only for the glimpse of hope vanish as he realizes what has actually happened, Eraser hits in, he starts begging people to kill him, to destroy the machine which he has lost all control over...
(pt1)

helo this is Tront

pls dont post picturs of me were i look old its not very nice

thank u

in Reptile he wants to feel like in Closer. But the feeling of any satisfaction or control is gone, the prostitute is nothing but mechanical to him, sex doesn't seem adventurous anymore, it seems gross to him and it does not make the feeling of lonelines or despair go away.

In The Downward Spiral, the voice makes him commit or imagine suicide. Up to your imagination.

In Hurt, he is either showing us his humant after death thoughts, or he has suvived a suicide, or he has simply succumbed to self-harm. Either way, this song has a lot of acceptance to it, sumps up everything what he has done.
(pt2/final)

I'd say Dear World has much more to it that the rest of Hesitation Marks, there is no sense of restraint as it was in Hesitation Marks (which was the point of the record) it is much more complex both lyrically, vocally and instrumentally, it goes to much more places and there are no fucking claps
(Thank fuck, I love Hesitation Marks, but Disappointed's claps ruined that track for me).

chin up, tront

hi trontposter

That was great. I will never see this album the same. The only thing I've ever heard like that was the Marilyn Manson albums Holy Wood, Mechanical Animals, and Antichrist Superstar.

hey com on moonson and i got back together and were makign a new album

its gona be very good ull see

you tell em propa m8

Besides Copy of a, nothing on HM uses a looping 16 step sequence as the main focus of the track, especially with that much swing on it.

Honestly, what other NIN tracks use that much swing?

You've been visited by Maise the loyal Dogey. Good luck, long life and averting a terrible death for your pupper will be averted if you post:"Good Girl Maise!"

Note that almost all NIN albums have a story, it is never a simple collection of songs, never was, there is always at least a theme going throughout the entire records

The Fragile can be seen as a sequel to The Downward Spiral where the protagonist literally is trying to put his life back together, he starts at the bottom (Somewhat Damaged) and tries to improve it from there only to fall back (Ripe, with decay).

Note that The Fragile has another instances of "Nothing can stop me now" again, but they're a little different

>We're In This Together
"None of them can stop us now
>La Mer
(In French)
"Nothing can stop me now"
With_Teeth is pretty much concept album about Trent getting sober. It also once again references the "Nothing Can Stop Me Now" line in "Sunspots" and also references The Fragile in "Love Is Not Enough

Year Zero's an obvious one. It is own thing

I always felt like that majority of NIN discography is one journey that has yet reach its end yet, Not The Actual Events seem to be an answer to the Hesitation Mark's ending of "Black Noise"

>SLAVE SCREAMS, HE THINKS HE KNOWS WHAT HE WANTS

I guess ill just have to listen to them in order again instead of picking my favorites and just playing them. I guess the meaning of Where Is Everybody is obvious now.

Find My Way was written as a response to Heresy. Trent was starting to feel nostalgia for the days when he was writing The Downward Spiral, and it scared the shit out of him, hence Hesitation Marks was written.

How is She's Gone Away 00s era? I can hear litle bit of Reptile in there, but I cannot say it isn't anything new, it feels much more sinister than any track that has any connection to it.

The Fragile is also much more of an honest album for Trent, The Downward Spiral did have a lot of honesty to it, but in The Fragile, the protagonist of the album is without a doubt Trent himself. Just listen to this and tell me how you now hear "La Mer" and "Great Below"

youtube.com/watch?v=rIsAazPVnFQ

>About 10 years ago or so I locked myself away in a house on the ocean, and I tried to... well, I said I was trying to write some music. Some of which wound up on The Fragile. But what I was really doing was trying to kill myself. And the whole time I was away by myself, I managed to write one song, which is this song. So when I play it I feel pretty weird about it, because it takes me back to a pretty dark and awful time in my life. It’s weird to think how different things are now.I’m still alive, I haven’t died yet. And I’m afraid to go back to that place because it feels kind of haunting to me, but I’m going to go back. I’m going to get married there.

Find My Way also directly references I Do Not Want This, keep in mind that in TDS, in the album he "killed" God and took his place, here, he is begging for his help, forgivness and mercy. Looking back how none of that paid off, he is being much more honest in that album overall. It is no concidence that...

>Hesitation Marks has the same ammount of tracks as The Downard Spiral

>The Eater Of Dreams = I am the end of all your dreams (from Mr. Self Destruct)

> Runninng: I had a friend who I think knew me, didn't seem to be able to make him stay..
>Hurt: What have I become, my sweetest friend? Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

There are much more references to TDS throughout, almost seeming like a man attempting to walk away from those acts only for them to come back and haunt him, Black Noise's ending is creepy as fuck, is it death? The fact Not The Actual Events is the next in discography does not hold nice implications.

I always really respected both of those songs, but I always liked the songs like The Big Come Down, Where Is Everybody, Into The Void, and We're In This Together.That is still my favorite album to this day, but i overlooked it's meaning so much.

What do you think fucked The Fragile over on initial release? Was it the length? Was it that Reznor chose The Day The World Went Away over The Big Comedown or anything else for that matter?

(not hating on TDTWWA, one of my favorites especially this rendition, just an odd choice to introduce The Fragile on Radio )

youtube.com/watch?v=y7fsHtkNU7w

Even the most radio friendly songs on the Fragile weren't really destined to be hits desu. They just don't have the hooks.
And the ones that came close like We're in this Together is like 7 mins long with all this instrumental stuff going on.
An album like that was never going to be a commercial success, it could only do so based on the hype from The Downward Spiral, but a 5 year gap was just too long, the music landscape changed too much in that time.

Is this an underrated song?
youtube.com/watch?v=rwc-amI7AmE

uh huh

what is that pic from?

ID Magizine 1999

I think this is around the point where the coke and booze was really starting to show itself.

>influences: Loneliness

hi tront

did those idem jerks finally let you in the idem club?

I always think of the Fragile as the protagonist from TDS's journey through purgatory (disc 1) and hell (disc 2) after killing himself. My friend and I came up with an entire storyline at one point but I can't be fucked to remember it now.

ywn teach him how to kiss... him.

you*

>a shut in when not on tour

dare I say he's /ourguy/?

>How is She's Gone Away 00s era?
The deep picked bass and pounding drums really sound like something that could come from With Teeth (think of the title track for example). It's definitely more somber and has a much denser atmosphere though, sorta like something from The Fragile.

it gave me a How To Destroy Angels vibe. Speaking of which, will Atticus be going on tour, does that me an end of an era with Alejandro, or will Reznor be a absolute mad man and have them both playing

Posting some cool wallpaper and bumb

moar?

Not but will contribute

Lately the abbreviation of Nine Inch Nails, NIN is making me cringe a little. Anyone else feel that way? Like, I just refer to Nine Inch Nails as Trent Reznor.

It makes me cringe, but due to different reasons, I am a literal autist who is bad at hiding stuff he is obessed with, NIN has been my obession for years, every time I want to talk about them I feel like my friends just think "here goes the sperg again"

just listen to closer, everything else is just hilarious

This is what some plebs actually believe

some of his stuff literally makes me laugh when im feelin down

Honestly I feel the same. My friends were listening to Black Metal and encouraging me to listen to it at every oppertunity. I liked Nine Inch Nails and Industrial music in general. So I went with the flow and pretended I wasn't listening to nails on a chalkboard. Only ever discussed the music I liked in that era to my high school gf, whom I converted to Nine Inch Nails by showing her the original Hurt and the David Bowie and Reznor 1995 live version.

Now I feel the abbreviation is something teens would use and it just feels derivative of the Reznor legacy. I can appreciate why he uses the name still, not wanting it to be a solo artist and all though.

>I liked in that era to my high school gf, whom I converted to Nine Inch Nails by showing her the original Hurt and the David Bowie and Reznor 1995 live version.

Lucky, last time I was listening to NIN while playing For Honor and she decided to watch my stream I got a message from her which basically went like "Your music is so awful, love. :C", in he end, it's fine of course, just kind of a shame much people don't share my hobbies.

I don't have much of people to talk about NIN, just anons and other people online. And I feel like there is so much to discuss, from the music itself, to Trent himself, to the temesa nd stories hidden within each album, you can talk about some of his albums for weeks just due to how deeply layered it is and how many themes there are within.

It seems like for plebs and normies in general almost all of NIN discography is very unaccesible, just small ammount of muffle that is present on Hurt confuses them and makes them miss the point.

Shouldn't you be lifting Tront?

Plus did you play Angel in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'm pretty sure you did.

Here are my personal best nin songs of all time currently
>Head Like A Hole
>Terrible Lie
>Sin
>Happiness In Slavery
>Mr. Self Destruct
>The Becoming
>Ruiner
>A Warm Place
>Eraser
>Reptile
>Hurt
>Somewhat Damaged
>The Day The World Went Away
>The Wretched
>Just Like You Imagined
>Even Deeper
>La Mer
>The Great Below
>Please
>The Way Out Is Through
>10 Miles High
>The Big Come Down
>Adrift And At Peace
>And All That Could Have Been
>Leaving Hope
>All The Love In The World
>You Know What You Are
>Sunspots
>The Line Begins To Blur
>Beside You In Time
>Right Where It Belongs
>Vessel
>My Violent Heart
>The Warning
>In This Twilight
>Zero Sum
>Demon Seed
>Copy Of A
>Various Methods Of Escape
>I Would For You
>In Two
>While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
>Branches/Bones
>Dear World
>She's Gone Away
>The Idea Of You
>Burning Bright (Field On Fire)

>no tracks from Still
come on, son.
youtube.com/watch?v=FJTzc3zrIrw
youtube.com/watch?v=g6YWTjc8Sp8

I plead oversight. My bad

How did Trent manage to age so well compared to Manson? It's like night and day

Let's see

>Gave up upon drugs and booze entirely
>Worked out
>Matured and moved on with his life
>Found some sort of happiness
>Managed to stay relevant for decades.

Meanwhile Marilyn is still high refusing to move forward both in musical point and in his life.

Once Trent will pass he will be right up there with Bowie.

Superior version of That's What I Get.

I love Purest Feeling for that version alone.

>the most underrated
that's not The Art of Self-Destruction pt 1

Holy shit, I love that track

youtube.com/watch?v=l-GwX5x1cio

This leave me misty-eyed at times.

Shit's powerful.

The new EP is so powerful and impresses ke with each listen

I mean he's and edgy prick so why not?

Now it's Trent and Atticus Ross so saying Trent Reznor isn't really correct if you don't want to refer to his older stuff.

he used to be, then he grew up

This. Still is the ultimate depression core.

Hows the fragile underrated, its perfectly rated nowdays by fans and critics

>two

He is still shy and insecure apparently, this is something he says through decades, I recommend listening to his interview of Apple.

itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.0ba858f0-c8ca-11e6-aad1-cedaf9b5f6ce

He is still ourguy deep inside. I wouldn't call him a normie.

It's ya boy Valentines Day Trent

He knew the exact moment when he body would no longer be able to maintain itself at its current course and cleaned up and got jacked as part of his distraction replacement.

Manson stayed sober in his youth, then got into drugs and booze when he was older.