Hey, Sup Forums

Hey, Sup Forums

I'd love to know what video games you have played that felt like pieces of art, whether they were visually or emotionally provocative or expressive. Can you share what about the game struck you?

All games welcome, as long as they were moving in some way. Please, let's not throw shit; we all know this is a totally subjective thing. I just want to know what captures people's hearts.

tl;dr Can we have a profound vidja thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-kT5SDifCU
youtube.com/watch?v=OkvVr6n1cGk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lisa the painful

At first, I found this game to be a fun puzzler with an intellectual wrapper, but, as I played it, I felt as though my initial impressions were backwards: it was rather a philosophical game with a puzzler wrapper.

I was particularly struck by the emotions of the characters with whom you interact: how Elohim begins as a benign though authoritarian presence, but is pleading for his life at the end of it all, for instance. Or how the serpent is so quick-tongued, but deeply unsatisfied with the logical inconsistencies it sees in the world.

I enjoyed how the cold, academic logic game could not help but be tied up in senses of purpose, truth, duty, and all the emotions we feel towards those things.

>Lisa the painful
I don't know anything about it. What was your experience like playing it?

It is an indie RPG which tells a depressing story which showcases the worst humanity can offer. The soundtrack is fantastic and the gameplay is solid.

youtube.com/watch?v=1-kT5SDifCU

I'll trow out another one: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

When the initial goal was to simply get off the island was presented, there was no mention of the nature of the wind fish's dream, and how everything would disappear. It made completing the game totally heartbreaking, as you worked to effectively eradicate all the characters and places you had come to know and love over the course of the game. Even the nightmares feard what would become of them.

You saved the world, only to realize the world you saved never existed.

Bioshock

The bioshock series was great.

I haven't played this, but have heard that it's supposed to be amazing. What's it's deal?

Kentucky route zero

Witcher 3 is the best game i've ever played and i think there isnt other better then it to me and tbh none ever will be.

Also i like TES: Oblivion very much.

Max Payne.

i was contemplating buying this game today because its on sale, also i live in Kentucky so i feel like i have an obligation to buy it. Should i do it?

The beginners guide

Yes. Great storytelling through narrative and environment. I think it is especially effective if you're from the South and understand how bizarre this place can be (SC/VA here). I don't think you'd regret it.

How does this compare to the Stanley Parable?

Journey, not just visually but for its emotional bordering on spiritual response. I don't say that lightly - I'm not prone to finding anything 'spiritual' - that game is one of the very few exceptions.

The Demon souls and dark souls 1. Best rpgs ever made imo

Soulblazer, SNES. I remember watching my dad playing it. As an adult I found it at the local game shop, Game Zone, and finally beat it.

Story of recreating a world as an angel sent down by a god.

Not the person who posted that, but will give insight. More abstract, more personal and open ended in its feeling. Obvious that it's the same developer, but I think closes in on struggle and the difficulties/absurdity of creation moreso than TSP.

Ugh, I want to play this so bad. It looks fucking amazing.

The fucking music and narrative, combined with refined gameplay.

The last of us the whole game hit me right in the feels

Thoroughly meh til infinite

is this mostly spoopy, or does it get deep?

Talos Principle was truly amazing

inb4 soopr gay

Did you play Road to Gehenna?

It gets very deep. I highly recommend you play it. It's only real spoopy near the beginning, I think- no jump scares or anything like that, just... haunting.

Great game. Remember having a friend over and allowing them to use my PC for gaming shortly after it released, which I had never really done before. They overwrote my save and proceeded to tell me all about the shit i hadn't played yet. My frustration was beyond words.

I legit teared up at this.

Firewatch....for a game with little to no real gameplay the story is amazing and the art style done really well

yo, that game hit me hard. i remember finishing it one night, and then just sitting in the dark in my bed and processing.

also pic related

same, A Bird Story just wasnt as hard hitting as To The Moon for me. Still a good game and worth the play.

Seconded. The devs talked about how the voice actors for the two main characters recorded the dialogue over the phone without ever meeting one another, and their comfort and interplay with one another becoming more comfortable as they did their takes. I thought that added a really cool unintentional level of intimacy to the game, among its other just really well done production.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - at least the first few hours. The ending was bloody pseudo-intellectual guff unfortunatley.

I've pretty much dropped off the video game scene since maybe 2010. What's this?

Never heard of this one. What's the premise?

To the Moon. Fantastic story with little to no gameplay.

This game is garbage.

To the Moon

It's an interactive novel, really, about changing a dying man's memories to make him think he achieved his dream. It hits on romantic love, mental health, reality. It also has a gorgeous soundtrack.

8-bit game made by some japanese (maybe... some kind of asian) guy, its about these two scientist in a science fiction realm whos jobs are to help a dying person live there one wish (in there dream realm). and the mans one wish is to go to the moon.

Didn't think it was garbage, but didn't understand the hype.

youtube.com/watch?v=OkvVr6n1cGk

Okay, so i never bought this because it was expensive as hell and everyone was fangirling over it when it came out. What is it that makes people cream their jeans about this game? Is it worth getting just to experience it?

Form the games homepage "The year is 1989.

You are a man named Henry who has retreated from your messy life to work as a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness. Perched atop a mountain, it's your job to find smoke and keep the wilderness safe.

An especially hot, dry summer has everyone on edge. Your supervisor, a woman named Delilah, is available to you at all times over a small, handheld radio—and is your only contact with the world you've left behind.

But when something strange draws you out of your lookout tower and into the world below, you'll explore a wild and unknown environment, facing questions and making interpersonal choices that can build or destroy the only meaningful relationship you have."

Every convo you have with her shapes future convos.

and who could forget the beautiful sound track plating throughout the game.

Assassins Creed: Black Flag

It was the saddest game ever. To watch all his friends die and his wife die. How the game traverses through several years. It's heart breaking

Shit, that sounds legit.

The ending and story in general makes no sense, the shooting is unsatisfying, enemies are bullet sponges, the vigors are almost functionally identical, "wait a minute, that card", I can go on.

Great atmosphere, and they really tried to go for something big, as far as the story goes.
Ive always wanted a job like this, is it possible? Just be in isolation for months at a time being able to do whatever i want. How does someone get this kind of job?

witcher 3 is fantastic DLC too

Not really what I'd consider an artsy game, but "The Beginners Guide" is a game that made me feel really strong emotions, that I can't even think of how to describe in words. I don't think the game is supposed to even do that, but it did for me.

i recently bought this on sale, and am excited to try it out. what should i be prepared for?

This. I realized what was actually going on on my second playthrough. I was 8 or 9, I think. That was heavy shit for a child with an imagination that could build worlds and process second- and third-order+ effects. It still remains my favorite TLoZ even though it's so damn depressing.

Twenty four shells, by the way.

I liked the Walking Dead series. Part 3 should be out soon.

In all honesty, it's probably best to go in not knowing anything other than what the steam store page tells you.

That's what I'll do, then.

Spec Ops: The Line - Generic third person shooter turns into one hell of a mind fuck.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - Dark, disturbing, decent voice acting (Harlan Ellison as AM is both hammy and fitting), and a great example of point and click adventure games in the 90s.

came here to post this
not particularly fond of max payne though

/thread

Still trying to get through Witcher I off-and-on again. It's good, I just keep getting wrapped up in other projects/games.

The beginners guide.

The neckbeard special: Metal gear rising revengeance and twilight princess.

I would like to live in this world.

For some reason, I found this game totally engrossing. I think it was a combination of the mystical setting and being totally alone in the game world. Just exploring these landscapes figuring out what to do. I played it as a kid and just wanted to climb through my monitor into he game.

Anybody else play this one?

This guy gets it

Yup! Obduction is really good too

MGS3 is always my go-to answer for this kind of question. I'm glad Bloodborne is getting the recognition it deserves already.

In terms of recent games, I'd say Furi. It does some of the same things Dark Souls 1 did. Indirect story telling methods, a choice between morally ambiguous endings, memorable npcs who are also characterized indirectly.

Also featuring an amazing soundtrack, and I don't even like techno/electronic music normally

I really appreciated the witness despite a lot of the negative feedback it got (mainly for the price)
But aside from it looking gorgeous, the game was very carefully designed in a way that made you look at the environment differently. A lot of the game is kinda #deep, but aside from that I enjoyed every minute of time I spent playing that game, even if I was just solving the same type of puzzle 500 times

Yeah, Cyan has always made great games. One of the first PC games I ever got was Myst. Sure it was an over glorified slide show, but it was one hell of a ride at the time.

Holy shit I remember this game. It gets pretty deep later on once shit gets more fucked up and you realize what is happening.

I read the book series; never played the games until I got the original Myst. Math/numerical relationships not being my strong suit resulted in me getting stuck absurdly early. I'll revisit it later, though.

Ori is by a fucking landslide the most visually incredible game. On top of that it's the best metroidvania ever made. 15/10

chrono trigger, it is by far my favorite rpg on the snes. Don't get me wrong Final fantasy six or three was great, but there is a certain charm that chrono trigger has that'll never be matched, at least to me.

>"I AM GON-ZA-REZ-U"
>"I AM BIG"
>"I AM STRONG"

Came here to post this. That feeling I got when I first saw another player far off in the distance of this huge landscape and trying to catch up with them was amazing. It's like there is finally someone else in the world and I am calling for them, but they can't hear me. I'm always right behind them and they don't even know it.

Or when I'm sliding down a mountain and another player slides right past me and doesn't even stop.

It's like I was never there at all.

>Flower was pretty good too

Both Metro games. Fucking amazing. If you play on survival ranger hardcore they are truly pieces of art. They will scare the shit out if you and at the same time make you appreciate the resilience of the human race.

I think Life is Strange definitely belongs here - as far as the episodic "X will remember this" style that's been cropping up lately, it's the best of them all IMO. It gets meme'd sometimes but it is a legitimately moving game.

Papers, Please is a really simple game but also I found it to be profoundly moving in its own way as you're forced to be a part of an inhuman machine and ruin people's lives, or express sympathy and risk your own termination.

I would also say Pillars of Eternity is a beautiful game, the crew behind that knew exactly what they were doing and it hit me hard, being such a huge BG1 and BG2 fan. Just it being their spiritual successor to the BG series was good enough for me. That's more of a personal one, but still.

Everyone saying To The Moon is absolutely correct - if you're trying to define what the perfect blend of "Game" and "Art" is, you're probably looking for To The Moon.

All of these pale in comparison to the Witcher 3, though. That entire product is a masterclass in emotional, engaging storytelling and profoundly realized characters and character arcs. I legitimately think Wild Hunt is, if maybe not THE greatest, one of the greatest games ever made, no exaggeration.

Just some of my opinions.

Also meant to add that "the future" part of the game I liked a lot. Advanced, yet everything's broken and fallen to shit. I'd race the robotcarman any day.

On the subject of FF... I've been playing a lot of FFXIV: ARR recently. When I came back to the game and jumped on my Magitek Armor mount, it was instant fucking goosebumps.

And for another... Anyone else remember this?

i expect to get shit for this, but Undertale pretty much rocked me to my core. it's been 6 months since i played it and i still get emotional over it.

Do I need to even say anything? This is a masterpiece in my opinion. Unfortunately a story I've loved since the beginning will probably never get to continue or end.

personally didnt really like bioshock infinite, but it wasnt bad either, but I'll just talk about the first one, I'ts got a really good story that makes you make meaningful decisions, has a nice twist, and is well put together. the game itself is kinda scary at points and is really intense at others, is really fun in terms of an fps and has an absolutely wonderful progression system and you can really choose the way you play but yeah its great

I agree with you here. I would sometimes go back to houses and talk to people in them hoping they would be glad to see me

>tfw playing in Russian
>tfw playing the Reich mission in German

"ThE RIght MaN in tHE WroNG place can make alL the DIFferENCe in The WORld."

I loved it too. The fan base makes me ashamed to say it though. My favorite part was the music. But I really did not want to go on YouTube scroll down and read cringey comments from fourteen year olds so I just caved and bought the sound track. This is one of the few games that actually had me crying at the end. What a ride. Too bad the people who claimed to love it ruined it.

Journey. Probably the best piece of artistic expression I've ever experienced.

Uncharted series.

Yeah, they're really more of interactive movies than games, given they're extremely linear and not much happens aside from move from A to B, gunfight, repeat. But god damn, they are cinematic as fuck and I fucking love Nathan Drake and his entire story. When I finished 4, I was depressed, even though it was maybe one of the best experiences I've had with a game in my life.

kek I have been playing this lately, but I forget where the hell to go when they're dropping bombs on me in the street when I meet up with the cop again. Haven't been arsed to look it up.

The Witcher 1 is the least essential one in the series. 2 is really good and 3 is amazing.

There's a lot of mind-breaking. Expecially in infinite. If you haven't, I highly recommend playing them. I know there's a bundle with all three and the dlc. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but prepare to have your entire perception of reality flipped on its head.

Wind Waker. Loved every aspect of it. Game play, artwork, story line, music. Everything was perfect.

only one of two games to ever make me cry, the other being Mother 3. i also bought the soundtrack too, hahah.

i'm really deep into the fanbase myself, and i can say those of us level-headed fans loathe the "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BAD TIME HAHAH" kids. i feel like it's the same in other fandoms: vocal minority destroying the credibility of the silent majority, yadda yadda, have adorable goatchild to make up for my ranting.

I loved it too. Gonna play it again on my days off