/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

lexicity.com/
context.reverso.net/translation/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
washington.kormany.hu/employment-opportunities
youtube.com/watch?v=KQz_fG_rQe8
tokipona.net/tp/janpije/okamasona.php
rowa.giso.de/languages/toki-pona/english/latex/toki-pona_english.txt
pastebin.com/i8KSkm4i
pastebin.com/ADXBtcAA
quizlet.com/Kokok123
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We need a pastebin I guess.

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

context.reverso.net/translation/
>Another website like tatoeba, Context Reverso (also has a Firefox extension!)

I think Rosetta Stone may have something like that but I'm not sure.

How do I learn German? I've downloaded the German Learning Package, but I don't know where to start. Seems really impractical to study from those PDF files.

What would you lads recommend, what should I do and where to start? I know of that cool book Assimil Deutsch, but it's kind of expensive.

anyone here happen to know kanji?

Start with Pimsleur, listen to that on your commute or while playing vidya or watching sports or whenever.

Should I torrent that or something, seems to be a resource you pay for.

Any other tips, some good websiter perhaps?

Yes you should definitely torrent everything. Especially Pimsleur which is ridiculously expensive.

Also, Pimsleur seems similar to Rosetta Stone and it seems to be only for listening comprehension and for improving speech. Not a lot about grammar and such.

I think piratebay has the first 3 units for German which should be more than enough for you before you advance to a textbook.You can check out lingvist, memelingo and memrise for some free stuff try and use all of them if you can, sticking to a single resource is not a good idea.

Kinda, it's to give you a good understanding of basic stuff before you go deep.

Hello /lang/. How are you all?
Saluton /lang/, kiel vi fartas?
toki, linja /lang/ o. sina pilin seme?

Apparently, we have a Serbian translation of the Assimil German book, which is fucking awesome because it's like 35$ unlike the English version which is around 100$.

>tfw trying to find good resources for Bosnian-Croatian-Montenegrin-Serbian

I think I saw a website or two teaching Serbian, they seemed pretty good from a native speaker perspective.

halloj

merrrrhhhhaabbbbba

bmp

...what do you mean?
like...ALL the kanji?

I know ~500 or so subconsciously (as in, I can read that many)
Probably 350-400 conciously

anything you need to know/need help with?

...do I know you?
If you'd like, I can give you a couple of resources that have helped me for SerboCro

bnp

Jó éjszakát kívánok.

Hungarian is hard but fun to learn.

Teach me to Toki.

Put this on the sticky, there's a shitton of good stuff here, despite coming from tumblr:
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
Some of the rare/shite languages (African, -stan countries) only have Peace Corps materials, but resources are resources.

I'm learning Polish

I'm not

me neither
what would you like to know?
Memorise the 120 words
And then the grammar is pretty simple

"e" before the direct object.
"li" after a subject that isn't 'mi' (I/me) or 'sina' (you)
"la" after setting a context. e.g "tenpo kama la, sina kama sona e toki pona" ("In the future, you will learn Toki Pona. Lit. time come *la*, you come to know toki pona)
Adjectives come after the nouns.

That's about it. Congratulations. You've learned a new language

Yay.

Jó estét!!!

Hello fellow Hungarian learner
I wish I could be fluent in Hungarian and get a job at an embassy. 2 positions just opened

washington.kormany.hu/employment-opportunities

Plox share them anons

Nasılsın pezevenk?

just had an incredibly brilliant idea

in order to increase my listening comprehension, i'm going to watch videos meant for türks learning english

i-iyiyim

Wait, can you give a link to one of those videos?

i just searched "ingilizce" and this is the first one so i am watching it youtube.com/watch?v=KQz_fG_rQe8

Learning Italian. 4% fluency according to duolingo and have got up to lesson 13 pimsleur so pretty noob.

Contact me on kik:

throwmeouttoday

If you're also a noob italian learner and want to practice conversation.

Graziè Arrivederce

Well, might work I guess.

>Plox share them anons
go onto 8ch
go to the catalog of the board /pdfs/
find the language thread

there should be some in there

What verb tenses are used in Spain but not used in Latin America?

I not too sure if there are any which are used in one but not the other, however I believe some are used in different ways

For example, for something occured in the recent past, Spaniards tend to use haber + verb (e.g, Lo he enseñado)
Whereas a Latino might say Lo enseñé.

However this is only talking about the "recent past". If it occured 12 hours ago, it doesn't apply.
There are more examples but I can't quite remember them off the top of my head

>Lo enseñé
>Lo he enseñado
Could you give a example in a sentence?

>listen to that on your commute or while playing vidya or watching sports or whenever.

I must have a learning disability or something. I've been using Pimsleur for about 2 months and tried using it when I'm walking to work or when playing vidya and I CAN'T. It's impossible to pay attention or remember what is being said. The only way I can use Pimsleur is sat down at my computer with my complete focus on it.

Spain:
"¿Qué has enseñado a ese chico hace unos minutos?"
"He enseñado mi nuevo reloj"
(What did you show to that guy a few minutes ago? I showed him my new watch)

Latin America:
"¿Qué enseñaste a ese chico hace unos minutos?"
"Enseñé mi nuevo reloj"

So here the Latino speakers have used the preterito, and the Spaniard has used the present perfect tense (Not sure what this is called in Spanish).

Some native speakers will need to correct me, but I believe this is correct. Of course though, it all comes down to individual choice. Both are grammatically correct.
>with my complete focus on it.
I'm not sure what they advertise but this is the only way to learn a language. It's a massive mental task. It can't be done half-assed or subconsciously as some people claim

Thanks

jo napott

Yea obviously walking and driving it takes away from your focus, but metro, bus, ferry in shit like that it's a nice way.For vidya I guess it depends on how much you have to focus on the game.I can't focus on the thing if it's fps or whatever.But in chill mmos or rct it's easy to focus since you are not actively doing something most of the time.

Can some hungarian correct these sentences for me?

>talnulok nyevleket szabadidöban
I learn languages as a hobby.
>gondolom hogy magyar nyevl érdekes van
I think Hungarian is an interesting language

you'd probably wanna add le. "Le he enseñado", "Le enseñé"

From my understand the duplication of the indirect object pronoun isn't required

Not required but sounds more natural

>nyelveket tanulok a szabadidőmben
that literally means I study languages in my free time, if you specifically want to say as a hobby then you can say "hobbiból or hobbiként"

>Úgy gondolom (hogy) a magyar nyelv érdekes
>Szerintem a magyar nyelv érdekes

There's no copula (van) for third person subjects, except when expressing location or time

>Ez nagy. This is big
>Ez itt van. This is here
>A koncert ma van. The concert is today

Also it's nyelv not nyevl, don't know if typo, thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.

>tfw can't hear the differences between ш and щ or ы and и

The letter single yeah, but in a sentence.. what the fug rossija.

Add this goddamn think too the sticky, very valuable.

Meu deus, como assim conjugação não é usada, se ela existe é para ser usada oras, isso só demonstra teu conhecimento da lingua. Aliás tu já perguntou isso 10000x aqui... bah

I have an okay level at French but I really struggle with understanding francophones when they speak..
Any /frbro/ wants to talk to me?

Where do I find someone to practice English/Norwegian/German with?

bmp

Here are some lessons (ni li lipu pi kama sona):
tokipona.net/tp/janpije/okamasona.php

And here is a dictionary (ni li lipu pi nimi mute):
rowa.giso.de/languages/toki-pona/english/latex/toki-pona_english.txt

mi wile e ni: kama sona e toki pona li pona mute tawa sina!

bom

Acho que ele referiu-se às conjugações mais usadas em cada canto.

I just wanted to be done with it once I got to the final checkpoint. Now I can finally focus more on other resources

What the hell is an "nmi"?

I'm learning French and using some flashcards.

'mille' is listed as 'det,nm,nmi'. Determiner, masculine noun, ??

I'm still learning Polish

What do you do when you have those 2-3 days when, for whatever reason, you just feel mentally exhausted and know studying your language won't be as beneficial? In the last 2 days I have crawled through my textbook and exercises at snails pace and it was painful. Thinking about the language became very frustrating.

So I ended up studying nothing today at all and now I feel like I've made mistake. But what's the point of studying if you know you feel like shit and you would take anything in? I don't even feel burnt out, but just mentally unprepared.

Please help

get a nice 10 hours of sleep and do better tomorrow

Serb or Russian, lads? Now that I'm finished refreshing myself of my K-12 French classes, I want to move onto a Cyrillic language.

serb for the memes

Russian

nom masculin invariable maybe?
pic is from wiktionary

People also use the present perfect here, but only for things that happened in the past that have a direct influence on the present situation. But yeah you can still usually get away with preterito. but like if you want to ask a question like "have you seen that movie", you need to say "has visto" and not "viste"

Ok Sup Forums I need your help with something. I'm an English teacher here and I'm planning to do a presentation at a teachers' conference about how it's possible to start from day one speaking in the target language. Here's the think though, I only speak English and Spanish. What language would you recommend that I learn in order to give this presentation? It needs to be relatively easy for me, but sufficiently different so that native Spanish speakers will not be able to easily guess at words because they are cognates (some cognates are fine, just not like a shitload of them). I have like 10ish months to learn it, but I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to it daily. I also have really shitty internet access, so ideally something with good resources I can download and do offline.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

italian probably

I mean it doesn't have to be the easiest possible option. I want to prove that even without cognates you can teach it. If I teach a romance language then I'm afraid the teachers I give this to will just use the excuse "well it's easier to start then English, so that why you were able to do it"

you could do german (or any germanic language really) which should be somewhat easy because you know english already but the spanish speakers won't recognize the cognates

yeah but again, sort of the same problem. These teachers also speak English and will also recognize the cognates.

Coptic

türk

Do Chinese
It's piss easy to learn actually and due to Chinese pronunciation you won't recognize most loanwords even when you hear them

Good job user.

afrikaans

No, I said "Teach me", not link me.

Na verdade, eu só perguntei uma vez aqui, uma no /lat/ e outra no /esp/

Esperanto

what do you guys think of nuchnat and kekkish, Sup Forums's attempts to make an Sup Forumsernational shitposting conlang
> kekkish
pastebin.com/i8KSkm4i
> nuchnat
pastebin.com/ADXBtcAA
quizlet.com/Kokok123

1. Shitposting is still shitposting.

2. What is a "conlang"? Don't you mean "language"?

conlang is a constructed language like esperanto, elvish, dothraki or hebrew

if your autistic enough you could try learning nuchnat everything you need is in the pastebin and they'll have no idea what you're saying

Then why didn't you say that?

that's what everyone else calls it

Hey guys,

I'm an American studying abroad in Spain (ignore the flag, Im visiting switzerland for the weekend). Anyway, Ive took about 6 years of spanish in high school, and I feel quite adept at Spanish; by the end of my semester I think my spanish skills will be pretty good.

Anyway, I was thinking about learning another language. What would you guys suggest trying to learn? I want to learn something a little different from spanish, but not like, say, mandarin. Any suggestions?

i want quick tips about pronouncing turkish names.
for example, how do you pronounce the g in erdogan?

mandarin

you dont. but seeing how you're a foreigner, you can go with hard G. or make it softer and more.... ephemeral

How do you think European countries will respond to a lack of English language teachers post-Brexit? Although I don't do it now, when I taught in the past a large majority of the teachers were British. Plus the fact that many of these jobs are badly paid but desirable for parents in the European countries means that it may be harder to fill them through usual migration. Do you think they will offer sector specific free movement for jobs like this?

At what tier are we talking? I None of the high schools I went to had actual british people teaching english for example. (Or germans for german. We had this one french woman for french, but she quit after a year)

I think the whole "native speaker teaching" shtick holds up more for a language that isn't much spoken/taught there anyway, so they need to "rely" on native speakers to train the first few generations. (When I left highschool for example, they were just starting a russian course which had two native ruskis)

>The persian word "asl" means origin
COINCIDENCE? I THINK SO!

SURELY

it’s probably a voiced h

Irish

BUMP

Are you still here bruh