ITT: Plebian red flags. If these apply to you, then you might be a pleb

ITT: Plebian red flags. If these apply to you, then you might be a pleb.

>can't into lo-fi music
>not listening to older albums, or all of your favourite albums came out in the last 5-10 years
>not listening to full albums (skipping/deleting tracks, downloading singles)
>going to Coachella
>caring about Grammys or any other kind of music awards in any way, shape, or form
>can't into harsh/screamed/yelled vocals
>only listening to metal and being an elitist
>not buying physical media
>listening to the radio (classical and college radio are fine, depending on the stations)
>enjoying meme rap on any level including ironically
>thinking classical music is "boring"
>thinking classic rock is the best music ever
>caring about technicality in music
>only listening to music in English
>can't into instrumental music
>listening to rap/hip-hop more than other genres
>listening to EDM outside of clubs
>going to EDM clubs

If only one of these apply to me, what Ca i consider myself?

>Prefering later Mars Volta over at the drive in
>Prefering at the drive in over early Mars Volta
>hail to the thief top 3
>amnesiac bottom 3
>GRIMES
>R
>I
>M
>E
>S

Depends. Which one was it?

>being a reactionary that dismisses entire genres

>caring about technicality in music

how is this pleb

Aside from EDM, which is literally intended to be background music for drunk normies grinding on each other, which entire genre(s) did I dismiss?

Not saying you. I was saying that was a red flag if someone did that

>has a tattoo of a music note or clef, especially on the wrist or behind the ear
>"(artist) changed my life!"

Caring about technicality.
Can't you admire the rythmical sense something must've taken to record?

starting threads about plebeian red flags

If you're some kind of progressive rock fan who puts technical guitar wankery over mood and atmosphere, and as a result, you can't enjoy simple music like punk or ambient music or black metal because they're too repetitive, not technical enough, or not tight enough for you, you're probably a pleb. Art isn't always about technique or musical virtuosity.

>technicality
>memerap
o no

What'd you do Viper?

Ahh, that makes sense.

You're not a pleb. You're fine. I was mostly talking about progfags who can only enjoy music that involves wankery, and can't appreciate simple music that creates a mood or atmosphere because it isn't technical enough for them.

>implying shit like Lil Yatchy isn't memerap

Buying compilation albums is pretty pleb.

what are you talking about? I was just listing pleb crimes that I'm at least somewhat guilty of.

I think the only one that actually applies to me is
>enjoying meme rap on any level including ironically
But that is entirely dependent on what you consider meme rap.

Depends on the compilation. Obviously best of comps are pleb as fuck, but ep comps and whatnot are ok.

My bad user. I thought you were implying that "memerap" isn't a thing.

Usually prog fans enjoy psychedelic and jazz records as well, as the two genres share alot with prog stylistically. Whats considered "technical wankery" is subjective, and personally I believe that many (prog, jazz, primitivist, etc) records are technically impressive whilst having impeccable mood and atmosphere.

Shunning music because it's simple isn't something I'd recommend though, so I see where you are coming from.

There are plenty of artists who's definitive works are comps. Some have their work exclusively on v/a (various artist) comps.

This is the worst board on this forsaken site.

It's insane.

Did too many of OP's red flags apply to you?

Technicality can definitely be appreciated though. But it shouldn't dictate the kind of music you listen to.

>considering songs over 4 minutes "long"

>genre that isn't noise
>shoegaze or black metal or something
>"user, this is just noise."

Bedlam in Goliath is their best album you idiot.

that would be Frances The Mute

>not listening to full albums (skipping/deleting tracks, downloading singles)
>listening to EDM outside of clubs
>going to EDM clubs
hi

Hell no.
That's their 3rd best.
Amputechture is their 2nd if you were wondering.

Looks like someone really cares about how much other people care about the Grammys

Not pleb, feels pretty good

>person claims to have downloaded an artist's "full discography"
>they only downloaded studio albums, and didn't include EPs, demos, B-sides, or non-album songles

>listening to rap/hip-hop more than other genres

In what way is this bad? I would understand if you're a normie who thinks Chance the Rapper or Drake are musical geniuses.

Unless you mean that as an equivalent of the guy who says dadrock is the supreme genre.

>using earbuds instead of headphones

what are "preferences". just because someone might like things you don't doesn't automatically make them a pleb. and i'm talking about the things you listed along the lines of "going to edm clubs" or "enjoying meme rap on any level including ironically"

while on the subject what is the actual definition of meme rap? it seems like no body really knows and just uses this term to describe popular rap music they don't like, and if that's the case that's extremely retarded

add
>using pleb

Why is listening to the full album not pleb?

I'm not going to lie. I enjoy some hip-hop every now and then, but it generally has lower standards of quality than other genres and the subject matter is usually stupid/juvenile at best. Not always, but usually. If most of what you listen to is hip-hop, you're probably a pleb.
I enjoy big budget hollywood blockbuster films every now and then, but they're not good. If you mostly watch shit like Transformers and superhero movies, you probably don't know anything about film.

If you're actually off-put by stuff like Sonic Youth's Providence or Radiohead's Fitter Happier. Not really that hard of a thing to listen to.

>Thinks the worst track on Loveless is Touched
>Thinks the worst track on Spiderland is For Dinner

idunno man, Ive listened to a good chunk of hip hop but im not a pleb

I actually agree with both of these.

Seems reasonable. I'm guilty of that but mostly because I use it as background music, unless is something I REALLY dig.

My dude you know it's important to at least know what mainstream music about, right?

then you are plebberino

This sounds like a 15 year old that just got into music

Why? Unless you work at a record store, what's the point?

>he doesn't have deloused in his top 3

No, I'm saying that neither of those statements are wrong. I agree with them.

then you are plebberino

not listening to albums in one sitting.

I know of people who will stop an album 2-3 songs in because theyre bored and need to do something else.

Sorry I skipped Utica Quarry, Nighttime. I will never be part of your elitist faggot club.

>he thinks interlude tracks should be held to the same standard as regular tracks

this

Not when I think said interludes are actually better than some tracks. For example, I think the worst song on Loveless is Sometimes because that sounds like a bog standard JAMC tribute on an album where nearly every other song sounds like the logical endgame to Psychocandy. Even Touched is more interesting with its distortion fuckery and it hardly overstays its welcome. With For Dinner, I just think it's a nice instrumental. Spiderland has no bad songs but I prefer For Dinner to Nosferatu Man.

Hey, i don't do any of this, almost. I usually listen to albums fully, but there are some that have some tracks that are complete shit and need to be skipped.

o shit i thought you meant you agreed that those were the worst tracks, not that you agreed that that is a pleb opinion
my bad

Okay OP, I'll bite

>lo-fi doom metal is the shit man
>rarely listen to full albums
>i like to "collect" mix up all my jams and then some
>don't go out often
>never watched any music awards
>Lord Mantis' vocals are fucking rabid, i dunno
>heh used to be a metalhead
>no money, vinyls are cool though
>radio ain't so bad, browse that shit
>I'M IN LOVE WITH THE COCOA
>classical music is beautiful, Gustav Holst ftw
>true that OP
>just "caring about" or you mean like prog elitists?
>gotta love me some mongolian throat singing
>instrumental music is the best
>hip-hop only when I'm with friends, sadly it's what they listen to the most, all good fun though
>EDM is neat, don't be so grumpy OP

And you forgot another one:

>thinking you're sophisticated because you listen to Tool or other mainstream "deep shit" I kek everytime.

It's okay, I could've articulated that better.

>can't into harsh/screamed/yelled vocals
stopped reading here

don't mind me

But he's right. It's little more than a vocal texture, useful in the right context like any other sound.

>listens to music from after 1900

I love radiohead but I think Fitter Happier is a stupid song and I skip it every time when I listen to OK Computer

but music started in 1910

>tfw you will never be so patrician as to listen exclusively to proto-music

Damn...

literally none of these apply to me, am I tru/mu/?

But are you off-put by it? Like, finding it so "weird" as to be unlistenable? I'm talking the kind of people who don't even consider those tracks to be music, because they actually exist. Those idiots are the plebs.

I don't find it "weird" I guess, but I just don't enjoy it and I think the commentary it puts fourth is a little immature and kinda lame. I think it ruins an otherwise perfect album, and is the main reason I think Kid A > OK Computer

So long as you at least get it then you're fine. Not liking it is different from what I'm proposing.

>rates Kid A higher than Amnesiac

you sound like a judgmental fag

Amnesiac is probably the better collection of songs but I think Kid A is a better album experience, if that makes any sense. Kid A had a sense of cohesion and atmosphere that Amnesiac doesn't quite have, not to mention novelty on its side. Amnesiac wins out song for song but it also feels like a clear refinement of Kid A's "let's go in balls deep and change our sound" approach.

that describes everyone in Sup Forums tho