Finland should prioritise that people learn Swedish above learning english

Finland should prioritise that people learn Swedish above learning english

Debate me

Other urls found in this thread:

hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005077568.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

russian above any language because russian isn't language

But English is cool

The consensus is that Sweden is, at increasing speed, degenerating.

But really we should change Swedish to Nynorsk&Bokmål in our schools.

English ruins culture and makes everything less varied, Finland should focus on keeping relations with neighbors with historic ties

You shouldn't at all do that retard. You can easily understand most of bokmål if you know swedish. And it's also the language you have historical and cultural ties with (fenno-swedes)

You'd still understand swedish AND have way easier time understanding danish, I suppose.

I don't know, reading danish is perfectly understandable for a native swede as well. It's just learning how they pronounce their words which is hard, you could probably learn that relatively easy whatever language you speak

Also: historical ties and fennoswedes

日本語 above learning Swedish, English, or Russian-go.

>Let's all learn an overly complicated, extremely hard language we share no cultural ties to whatsoever
Great idea, Burger!

kys weeb

I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to it. My uncle moved to Copenhagen ten years ago and he caught up with it really quickly with just his swedish, and we'r not even a swedish speaking family.

That said, I don't understand most of the thing the danish actors are saying in the Bron, for example. Maybe if I rewind and hear it two-three times, but that wouldn't do in a social setting.

Ewww

Swedish is a useless micro language spoken by barely 10 million people whereas English is a world language; therefore we should prioritise the latter over the former as in this increasingly globalized world to remain competitive we have to look into the future instead of clinging onto the past.

Sweden should prioritize that people learn Arabic above learning Swedish, for tolerance and welcoming reasons, also it will be the language of future Sweden

>japan
>hard
KEK!!!!!!!!!!

>therefore we should prioritise the latter over the former as in this increasingly globalized world to remain competitive we have to look into the future instead of clinging onto the past.

That's bullshit tho, since pretty much everyone can already speak english. Nordic countries are all small countries with world class education and people with know-how to be leading players in many fields worldwide.

Co-operation is pretty much essential, and common language would make us much tighter group as a whole. Yea, everyone surely speaks good english, but knowledge in one of the scandi-languages would open many doors for Finland.

And I'm not even from swedish speaking family.

Meanwhile in reality: Sweden suffers from a massive shortage of teachers and is recruiting all teachers they can get from Finland, as long as their Swedish is at last passable

hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005077568.html

>but knowledge in one of the scandi-languages would open many doors for Finland.

That's just bullshit, stop defedning this so intensely. We already speak english in the nordic council instead of said nordic languages even though we know it. Absolutely annoyingly pathetic argument for trying to legitimize and historical relic which just takes away teaching hours which could be used to teach something much more essential.

Everyone should prioritize teaching english over anything, that way everyone can communicate.

>learn Swedish
Why tho? It's useless outside of the tiny Swedish enclaves (that probably speak passable Finnish anyway). We both speak English well so there's no reason to have yet another language in the mix.

Furthermore, why should they bother learning Swedish when we don't learn Finnish?

Japanese is like the most straight foward shit ever. They speak like cavemen. It's so different from everything else unlike most languages in europe which all have similarities.

Never understood butthurt towards swedish in schools to be quite honest, so little effort, so much to gain. Do you think those people in nordic council from Denmark, Norway and Sweden (maybe even from Iceland, who probably can speak danish) speak english among themselves?

I bet you'r one of those true-finns who constantly moan about taxpayers money.

Gay marriage is becoming legal on March 1st in Finland. Isn't that enough for the Swedes?

Another baseless "argument" with an personal attack attached to it.

Well i'll entertain you for this once with an actual argument

>Do you think those people in nordic council from Denmark, Norway and Sweden (maybe even from Iceland, who probably can speak danish) speak english among themselves?

Yes, it's universally an easier language and the representatives speak with the language that creates the least misunderstandings, which would be definitely english.

>I bet you'r one of those true-finns who constantly moan about taxpayers money.

Never voted for them. But what comes to my argument about mandatory swedish still stands, it's borderline useless. The only realistic argument you could throw at me would be the historical connection and i hope we can agree that's just hopeless semantics.

Swedish is a dumb pointless language the same way Romansch is. Business is done in English, there are more English speakers, English is simpler, Swedish is a dying language, German is more useful than Swedish, Fennoswedes are cunts, Finland isn't anyone's bitch, etc etc.

>Yes, it's universally an easier language and the representatives speak with the language that creates the least misunderstandings, which would be definitely english.

>universally an easier language

Heh, what? Probably holds truth if you didn't bother to do your swedish homework or attend classes. It's actually really casual language PLUS you get to understand norwegian along the way, with some added danish as well.

>The only realistic argument you could throw at me would be the historical connection and i hope we can agree that's just hopeless semantics.

Your the one going on and on about ''historical semantics'', I merely stated that if we want to boost our economy inte future we need stronger co-operation with other Nordic countries, and knowing a scandi-language tightens our relations with them.

You putting so much emphaszising on the importance of one micro-language amongst others when english is available and taught at much earlier age added the consumption of english media too. So i think i have the upper hand when talking about which language is universally more useful.

The thing is, we don't need to learn to understand these scandi micro languages when english exists. Now you're just trying to create strawmans and clinging to "But it's useful in this magical scenario where we'd need to communicate with some other language than english because it would make the other member's of this said nordic co-operation more relatable."
> I merely stated that if we want to boost our economy inte future we need stronger co-operation with other Nordic countries

Yes and english is the go-to language of said countries even when communicating with each other. I am really suspicious about your standings in this. Probably just a troll fishing for (you)s but might be a actual fennoswedes tbqh.

So what's your justification for speaking Finnish? I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that learning Swedish is fairly pointless, but your argument is a slippery slope.

>So what's your justification for speaking Finnish?

Our own indigeneous state language? Merely even just it gives us enough legitimacy to stay sovereign.

But English is much more useful, as you said. You're putting too much emphasize on micro languages and your emotional connection to it.

Yea, Swedes, Norwegians, Danes and Icelanders do speak english, but speaking with them in their mother tongue (tunnekieli) is always a massive advantage.

You sound like your not very well versed in social relationships, but picture this if you will: you have an are of approximately 30 million inhabitants with world-class education, country brand, political stability, equality and welfare. That's a good platform to grow into big players league by any standards. Only an utter idiot would want to downplay that.

I think i just gave you an legitimate reason laddie. Read my post again. There was no emotional semantics in it.

>Yea, Swedes, Norwegians, Danes and Icelanders do speak english, but speaking with them in their mother tongue (tunnekieli) is always a massive advantage.

Why not have them learn finnish then? Huh?

b-but, Swedish is useless language.

If the Swedish person I am talking to can't understand English, the next Swedish person can.

I think the Finnish language is also useless to a Swedish person in Finland, in a same way.

Been there, seen it, done that. And you have experienced it too. You simply can't argue with this.

>another thread that will be filled with kangs and shit