I'm seeing Pete Silberman at a living room show with 20 other people in March

I'm seeing Pete Silberman at a living room show with 20 other people in March.

What shows are coming up for you fucks?

Damn lucky. I wanted to go but I spent my trip from bumfuck nowhere to Illinois to see AJJ (and hung out with friends, but I would have done that if I'd seen Peter Silberman).

I'm seeing Jeff Rosenstock next month, and then I'm heading to Portland sometime this spring, where I'll see either Xiu Xiu or Mitski (lemme know what your experience has been if you've seen either live). After that, I might take a bus to Colorado this summer and see Ween. I may also be going to New England this summer/fall, and will be looking into the schedule there when it gets closer.

It's an expensive life to like live music but live in flyover country, but thankfully I like to travel.

I saw Elliot Smith in a living room once. True story.

That's awesome. Do you remember what year? Was he personable with the audience?

It was about a year before Good Will Hunting came out. When he was still on KRS. Prob about '96. He was great. Went out to dinner with him afterwards. Not fun to be around. Sulky and a vicious alcoholic.

Awesome. Never have seen either live before. I guess it's still possible to see AJJ, so it'll probably happen eventually.

I actually have seen The Antlers at a very tiny show a couple years ago when they randomly got invited to play an art museum opening at a local university last minute, and posted the free show on their website and Facebook feed.

I was one of maybe about 30 people at that show too, and Pete actually dedicated that show to me, so I'll see if he has an recollection of me if I mention I was the one dude actually standing at the stage when they started at that show.

Based on the past 2 times I've met him, he'll probably not remember but feel really awkward/bad that he doesn't remember.

>He was great. Went out to dinner with him afterwards. Not fun to be around. Sulky and a vicious alcoholic.

Shit, I would have gotten along swimmingly with Elliot Smith...

No you wouldn't have. He was difficult to be around. Not a fun drunk.

Yeah,. He did seem like he'd be a huge asshole

He was.

you imply I am a fun drunk, and easy to be around when drinking.

I know my own kind, and know how to just commiserate... actually it's kind of comforting to know the kind of depressive hole I've entered drinking to his music would play out much like drinking with him would have,

Beach House at the end of March. Bought two tickets in the hopes that I'll meet a girl between now and then that I can go with but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Good luck

I mean. I only meant him once. Seemed like he was the drink alone type.

Not surprised later when I heard he died. Though I don't believe he committed suicide.

you're talking to a dude who is currently drinking alone on a Tuesday... trust me, I know exactly what you mean when you are describing how an amazing show turned into a sad/awkward dinner.

I'm not saying he and I would have had a blast... we would have done our thing... we'd have shared a drink we call (self-imposed) loneliness.

Thanks dude

No. Most of the people I knew at the time drank everyday. We weren't squares.

He was taking it to a whole another level. HEAVY drinker.

Local bands at a few shows
Reverend Horton Heat and some other bands I like in March

I might be going to see Brian Wilson do Pet Sounds in April, but I feel like it's just going to make me sad and disappointed

yeah but I bet you guys drank every day together. You weren't over 30 and polishing off low-tier whiskey handles after work all alone in addition to your social drinking when you put the happy fun time face for your friends and loved ones.

cont'd....

I'm not talking about daily or not... I mean that mentality where you used to be a fun, sociable person... but the alcohol hits that point and you wind up sucking all the fun out of the room, even if that better part of you is cringing for yourself in the moment, but fuck it, sweet mother's milk is washing over your senses and you're just giving in and drowning once again. Waking up to a pain of unsurmountable regret which overshadows any physical hangover.

I know what you mean by a shitty, "wow I'm worried about this dude" (even from seasoned drinkers) drunk... because I became that dude.

This isn't some contest, I don't mean it that way... I just always felt kindred to Elliot Smith, even moreso since crossing over, and you just helped confirm my suspicions about him. I'm not trying to defend him, or trying to sound edgy... I'm just trying to let you know, I'm really not playing up how bad I've gotten in the past year or so.

Nah, dude. We were all drunks and druggies to some extent.

I guess it's ironic because I don't think he killed himself, but he drank like someone who was trying to kill himself.

Like a non-Hollywood version of Nick Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

Dude I drank a fifth of vodka every day for years. I get it.

Yeah, also sorry, it kind of fell into rambling at then end.... whiskey does that.