Any Alaska fags on currently...

any Alaska fags on currently? i'm currently thinking about moving to anchorage but i wanna hear what its like from people from there. Also i'm from Portland Oregon and I don't mind cold weather but I understand Alaska is much colder.

907 reporting in, what do you want to know?

self bump

like would you recommend someone going there also how icy are the roads there?

anchorage fag here. what are you looking to do in Alaska for work?

welding

Isn't it expensive as fuck to live in Alaska because there's no industry/production? Everything is imported. Califag here, don't know shit about Alaska but my impression is its full of cold white hicks who hunt game for survival and hunt game for recreation. No In-N-Out? No thanks fam.

I only recommend living up here if you want to be away from every one else also the roads are not that icy right now. The past 3 winters up here have been really mild. Never reaching below 0 in Anchorage.

cool, well you'll find a lot of work for welders here then. the oil industry is tanking at the moment, so I wouldn't try too hard to get into that field of work, but you can find a bunch of shit for welders on just craigslist alone.

as for living in Anchorage, I'm personally trying to get out of here. It's more like a necessity to live here, since most decent jobs are either here or in Fairbanks. As a welder you'd have options, so I'd try to get out to a smaller community like Homer.

Anchorage might be the "big city", but nobody who comes and stays in Alaska does so because of city life. Most people I know think about being in more outdoors accessible towns.

I can't imagine living in Alaska. What type of activity do you guys even have going on? Everything must be painful to do.. damn..

Also, roads are well maintained. Don't drive like a cunt and you should be fine.

>never reaching below zero
Fuck that lmao. Califag here if it gets below 50 degrees F i need to wear 2 sweaters and stay indoors

well that's good to hear

Drinking, fishing, camping, and hiking are some of the biggest activities. There's a reason that drinking is first on that list.

What's the internet speed and how are the isp's up there?

I do think i would prefer smaller towns and i searched up homer and it looks nice

If you want to be cold then go to Fairbanks / north pole or delta junction. Went to drop a load of machines up in delta 2years ago, mother dicker was -72f before the wind chill.

Yeah, I could see you guys drinking like crazy, something like the Russians do.

How about schools/colleges? How do you deal with the extreme cold?

dayum

what kind of fishing is popular in AK? what can you catch?

I used to follow this guy on tumblr who was from Kodiak and his nature pictures made me want to move there. But I'm from Florida so the cold would be hard on me.

Understand that a lot of the entertaimment there is outdoors, and some things may cost you a bit more than portland. Also, houses are expensive. Not sure about rent.

OP here lol damn I knew Alaska was cold but not that cold

For a single bedroom apt in Anchorage, be prepared to pay $1000+ a month

can you even go outside in that weather? holy shit

Now that's something I'd like to see. Someone from Florida moving to Alaska.. lol.

I'm at 34 mbps. I never hear anyone complain about speed, and I'm able to stream HD vids and play MMOs seamlessly.

It's a little more pricey up here. I think GCI and AT&T are the major ISPs here. I've been with GCI my whole life, and I think it's fine (even though a lot of people complain about it).

Homer's also cool because it's a fishing town with a tolerable hippie vibe.

The cold is easy to deal with in Anchorage. You obviously have to bundle up and prepare for cold af days, but it's not outrageous like Fairbanks. I have a beard and it rarely ever gathers frost on a cold day.

I would also say that east coast winters are more harsh than winters in Anchorage.

Not for long. Maybe a few minutes in medium winter gear. But you better have some north slope rated winter gear for that shit.

I have no idea how to deal with the cold. I put a hoodie on when it gets below 70°. But it's so beautiful there.

I thought housing was cheaper in Alaska

Interesting. What's so different in Fairbanks? Is it higher?

LMAO! Not in Anchorage

Yeah, I know what you mean. But damn, I can't imagine how it's to feel THAT kind of cold..

is it better anywhere else?

Yeah, it's more north. It gets real cold up there, but also really hot in the summer.

Summers are pretty steady high 60s. You'll acclimate to the weather though.

For perspective, my girlfriend and I are paying $1,300 for a 2 bedroom duplex.

For more affordable housing, start in eagle river and head north. The truly cheap shit starts in the valley. Wasilla / palmer

60s sound nice. My dog loves that weather and I get to wear comfy hoodies every day.

I'm from Portland also aside from the landscape Alaska fucking sucks I spent a few seasons up there the people up there are all fucking murderers and rapists there is no good pussy in the whole fucking state

I'd highly recommend you come to AK and do a little exploring. Gotta rent a car though, otherwise you'll be stuck in the city.

Pic related, it's a shot I took of McHugh creek just a few weeks ago. It's an easy drive from Anchorage.

Take me with you please

yea I don't know when but at some point I intend on going to Alaska for a bit to see whats it like a bit more.

STFU it's all ice and igloos

Keep your faggoty ass there, we don't want you.

Oil state
no money
no jobs
no benefits

STAY HOME

You forgot cold pussy to faggot

don't breathe through your mouth and you will be fine

Welfare faggot

>too

>scoff

But breathing through the nose hurts too. Like lots of needles.

Show up in May, it'll give you time to GTFO before you have to drive through Canadia in the winter.

Your going to show up, omg where is salmon.
LOL guise look what time it is your sun is broken
guise..guise when does it get dark
Not cool, HTF you sleep in this
YAY normal light cycle!
....dafuq....dark at 3?
BLACKNESS
WIND STORM WATCH OUT
POWERS OUT LOL
Why does it rain upward here?
This sucks I'm cold and sads
I miss home
Whur all da nice girls go?
Fucking college you dunce
leavin on a jet plane

Just stay home, you don't have the sack for this bullshit.

ever have ice in your lungs?

Yep... That about sums it up.

No but it sounds awful

No but had walking pneumonia about 6 times now

now that's a new pneumonia for me

OOOF

Let him in for minute, when he sees how much it costs for a SADS lamp and gets a load of what's waiting for him in the pussy department he will be walking on water to get the fuck out of here.

Or someone will beat his ass because he won't change his fucking plates and things the interstate laws apply to the Glenn. Or he'll drive like a douche and we'll find his scavenger picked bones in the spring time down some ravine. Or he'll wind up deciding to canoe around the hydro intake at Ekluta lake and the entire town (it's not much of a city) will drink his ball sweat since no one gives a fuck here.

There are rules, hope he reads the fucking manual before we get stuck with the tab to either airlift him to harborview or keep his corpse cold until his parents can ID the body LOL.

Jesus fucking fuck, saddle up your balls kid. The cake is a lie.

That sums it up nicely. Alaska, a nice place to visit, a solid place to go and work hard for a season, a shithole to call home.

The locals know. They gtfo when they can.