This might be an autistic question...

This might be an autistic question, but is it considered rude to place the money on the counter when paying for something?

Awhile ago, I was at a 7/11, and I put the money on the counter, and the girl who was working there just glared at me for like 30 seconds. I thought she didn't see the money, so I told her the money's on the counter, and she just sticks out her hand and says in an annoyed voice, "Yeah, but my hand's right here." I was dumbfounded because the money was literally inches from her hand. Maybe I could sort of see that reaction if there were a bunch of change, but how hard is it to pick up a bill? I ran into this same girl again recently, and the same thing happened. I was thinking, "This girl has to be psychotic.Is she screwing with me or just crazy?" I didn't say anything, but I sort of rolled my eyes and gave her an odd look. Anyway, I looked it up later, and apparently, there are cashiers who consider this rude, which makes me feel like I'm from another planet. Why would this be rude? It takes like an extra half a second. There's no thought that goes into when people do this. At least not for me. I probably hand it the person half the time, and the other half set it on the counter. It's not meant as some kind of snub. What do you guys think? This is baffling to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wRpDG2cWHVc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's rude when you then hold out your hand and expect the change to be handed to you

Fuck that, people gets offended by everything nowadays. Better avoid conflict and just say sorry, i didn't think that would offend you here you go.

she's just a tard trying to make an excuse to why her job is so "shitty" when in reality its not very

I don't understand why, though. If they put it on the counter, I wouldn't think it was a big deal. I guess I would notice it if they saw my hand and did it anyway, but I'm pretty socially awkward, so I tend to look down a lot and not make a huge amount of eye contact. It would be pretty easy for me to not notice someone sticking out their hand occasionally. It just seems like such a trivial thing to make a fuss out of, and to imagine that there's some sort of rudeness or malice hidden in there seems crazy to me.

Even if it were considered preferable to hand it to the person (which okay fine, I guess I'll make it a point to do that now), wouldn't you at least agree that it's odd to bring it up to the customer like they did something to insult you somehow?

Ever try picking a lot of change up off a flat surface? It's a pain in the ass.

you patriarchal bastard, can't hand the young lady your ill gotten gain? you make me sick.

In japan many stores have trays to place money in and to receive change back. Also its customary to give bills with both hands and receive them back with both hands.

Your story the girl just seems like a dumb cunt

She responded like an asshole but yes it is rude or strange to most people if you do this in US or UK. In other places, for example Italy, it's normal to place money down.

And yes it is an autistic question and I assume you are.

whatever a cashier might think about it, it's rude and unacceptable of her to bitch about it. she can not like it, but she should just take the damn money from the counter.

fuck her. she works for you, not vice versa.

Perhaps it is rude, but if you're running a 7/11 cash register for a living, you should just be happy someone is willing to look your plebeian ass in the eyes when they talk to you.

You didn't do nothing here.

Minimum wage employees need to stop assumin that they hold a higher social standing than they actually do.

I didn't say that, so I now I think your attempting some new argument b8.

If they have their hand out and you put it on the counter, it's rude if you then hold your hand out for the change and expect it in your hand.

If you.expect it to be put in your hand, you should reasonably assume others would also.

Where do you live? I've literally never put the cash in someone's hand in my life. No one would expect you to. That would be weird. You put the money on the counter.

pay with your card faggot, then you never have to touch filthy cashiers

this.

it's like the Redbull complaining.

Do cashiers not understand that most people put literally zero thought in these interactions? I've literally never heard someone tell me this is rude, so how am I supposed to know? And no, I don't think it's common sense that someone who would consider it an inconvenience to pick a bill up from the counter that is literally inches away from their hand.

As for expecting them to hand it to me, like I said, I don't expect it. I only stick out my hand because every time I've been in the store, the cashier has handed my money to me. What am I supposed to do, just ignore their extended hand because I didn't hand them my money? Wouldn't that be even more rude? They could easily set the money on the counter if they wanted. I wouldn't say anything, and I wouldn't consider it rude.

You're making it sound like I saw her hand and deliberately ignored it and sat the money down. As far as I know, she didn't have her hand out either time, but like I said, I tend to look down most of the time, so I might not have seen it.

But okay, fine, it's not a big deal. In the future, I'll make sure not do this. I still say it's odd that anyone could consider this rude, though.

and then other cashiers wear latex gloves so they don't have to touch your filthy hands or money

so fuck 'em

Definitely argument b8.

I said it's rude IF you expect it in your hand.

OP is a faggot

OP is always faggot

>always

Baltimore.

Yeah, I do it a lot, too, and before now, I've never heard anyone say anything or give me any indication that they considered it rude.

It's not even a germ thing. I'm fine touching other people's hands. It's just one of those things I've always done for literally no reason other than it never occurred to me that it was wrong.

Why wouldn't you just hand the cashier the money though? Are you afraid of your clean jewish skin coming in contact with anyone outside of your bloodline?

Was about to mention the exact same thing, in Japan they think it's weird if you don't put the money in the tray

Where I live it is considered polite to pass the money to cashier's and for them to hand the change back. Maybe where you live people eat sand or do things differently.

Why is it argument b8?

>I said it's rude IF you expect it in your hand.

I don't. I merely take it from them when they hand it to me, or if I stick my hand out preemptively (I put so little thought in this stuff who knows exactly what I do?), I only do it because they always hand it to you, so that's what I do out of instinct. It has nothing to do with feeling entitled to be handed my change. Like I said, if they didn't hand it to me, I wouldn't care.

Also sometimes cashiers are dicks. Whatever

Cashier here, if people set the money on the counter than I just do the same with their change
I don't consider it rude at all
Also some muslim women won't/can't touch men so they will insist on their change being set on the counter
Sounds like this girl needs some cock

There wasn't any change. And while I'll admit, I probably have put change on the counter as well in the past, in both of these incidents, I paid with bills. Is it that difficult to pick up a bill from a flat surface? They easily do it when they're getting it out of the register. How much more difficult is it to do the same for the money on the counter?

As someone who worked as a cashier for a while, I'm gonna speak anecdotally. I never worked in a 7/11, but I did work as a front end supervisor at a high volume retail chain.

It's not so much that it's rude, as much as it's just like, "really?" If I tell you how much it's going to be, and I've bent down to grab a bag to put your stuff in, or have momentarily turned around to push something down our frontend counter so it can be sorted, and I turn my attention back to you and the cash is on the counter, that's not a big deal. I was unavailable, and it'd be rude of me to expect you to just stand there with the cash in your hand, waiting for me. So you put it on the counter, totally cool. But if I say how much it's gonna be, put my hand out to accept your cash, and you put it on the counter, then yeah, that's kind of rude. Remember: you could replace "cashier" with "emotional punching bag" and the job description would be almost identical. That's nothing to do with it being a shitty job, and being in an area like mine, there's not too much better out there for a recent college grad, sadly. So it's just kind of this gesture that's interpreted to be dehumanizing, borderline mechanizing of me as a person, because you can't even hand me the money. I've been screamed at, spit at, cursed at. I've had money/change as well as product thrown at me. I've had people blatantly and smugly lie to my face knowing that corporate policy won't let me do anything. There was this crazy black woman who would scream about how all white people wear wigs to hide their horns and would curse at children. And with that as a daily event, you drop your money on the counter instead of my outstretched hand? It's kinda disparaging. It's nothing more than an incredulous, exasperated "really?"

The reason why you don't think it's rude is because you're socially retarded. You're probably one of those people that gets on his phone and dicks around when someone is talking to him.

Guess 7/11 workers must be like vampires, you know, that one rule that says they can't come in your house without your invitation, well, guess this must be "workers can't accept money unless you give it willingly in their hands".

As a person who sometimes cashes people out at my job, I'll say that it isn't rude, but sometimes confusing. Her reaction was way more rude and uncalled for of course, but I sometimes feel weird picking up the cash off the counter. The reason being that a lot of people will put cash on the counter as they're counting it out, and sometimes stop (getting distracted by talking to me, looking at their phone, etc) and I don't know if they want me to take it, or if they still need to grab more.

One person did that to me, and then SHE got offended at me for taking it because she "wasn't ready" despite there being enough to cover the bill (she wanted to grab change so I wouldn't have to give her coins, but was looking at her phone so I thought she was done).

It just makes life easier to hand it to people so so that we both know you're ready.

I worked in a pizza place for a little bit and long story short it's perceived as a what to good to touch me are you that much better than me kinda thing

>there are cashiers who consider this rude
Did she blow you first? Because I could see her thinking it's rude to not hand her the money if you were on intimate terms. As long as you're being autistic, you should point that out to next cashier who complains about it.

Ha phone etiquette. That's a whole thing

Next time, just have exact change ready, put it on the counter, and when she does it, just keep saying "it's right there" until you get bored and then just walk away.

I can sympathize, but when someone does this, they likely aren't thinking about it at all. Maybe I'm just socially retarded, but the idea that this could be interpreted as a slight would have never occurred to me on my own. To the best of my knowledge, this isn't common knowledge as far as general etiquette like holding doors and saying "thank you" and "you're welcome". I probably hand the money to them half the time, and the other half put it on the counter. It has no bearing on the person who's at the register. It's just whatever pops into my head. I'm pretty much on autopilot whenever I pay for anything.

I do it all the time OP, Only 1 time has it ever given me an issue and funny enough it was at 7/11. Guess whos attitude lead to her having to pick up all the cookies, candy and nictone gum because thats just scandalous. She really fucking thought I'd pick up my money and put it in her hand when my phones in 1 hand and my wallets in the other. Picked up my money and knocked over all the food. No regrets,
Next day I go back there because ive been going there 20 years same chick, Tellms me to leave and i cant make a purchase. Leave 2 bucks infront of her and walk out with funions.
Next next day same shit but now the manger is there and the manger asks me what the issue is between the employee and me and I told her she disprects me everytime i walk in here and ive come here for 20 years and you know(To the manager)
Bitch still works there and everytime i see her I pay with change and put it on the counter.
Fuck bitches man.

I don't think so, she was probably just lazy as fuck. I make a point to avoid cashiers/salespeople that do this kind of shit, and think I'm inconveniencing them when I ask them to do their fucking job.
>need change for laundry
>ask for $20 to get change
>ask for $4 in quarters, not 20$, just 4$
>feeds me some bullshit about not having enough
>I can see there should be enough bar 2-3 quarters at most
>ask if she couls get some from a neighboring register that's 5 feet away
>"No"
>no explanation no "I'm sorry I can't" just "no"
>Say to her "More than your job's worth is it?"
>gets all uppity like it came out of nowhere
>leave
>never go back to the store again
It'a called the "service industry" these assholes don't know what service means

When someones paying for something and the place money on the counter the place it near them not in front of you. Fool.

Yah

>Le autism meme is epic

Did you set it down or throw it down all crumpeled up and yell the name of the cigarettes you want?

He is right though, get a card and you dont have to worry about cashiers bitching

As a manager with 20 years of retail experience I understand where the frustration comes from on part of the cashier. But life's to short to worry about that shit.

But if you put your money on the conveyor belt when im ringing up your alcohol purchase, guess where that money is going?

Down the crack and into the filthy dust collection tray caked in onion paper and three year old congealed milk.

Then ill pull the tray out and hand it to you to dig out.

on the conveyor belt is one thing, that's pretty fucking stupid but on a static counter?

Say that to a minimum wage workers face because I bet you wont.

Didn't I see this thread over the summer.

Their whole job is punching buttons, counting change, and being nice to strangers while on your feet for most of the day. Part of that niceness is handing people their change directly and touching a hand that couldve been anywhere in the process. If you just handed her bills then I think she was just having a bad day. If you payed with change or a card, then you're the cunt. Those things can be damn near impossible to pick up from a countertop if your fingernail game is on point.

I think she was a little cunty about it, but when I turn it around, I'd probably give a cashier a strange look if they put my change down on the counter in front of me, if only because I'm so used to them handing it to me. Had I just spent all day on my feet dealing with cunts then maybe I'd handle it a little poorly

Maybe you do, not the autismos that often come to my place of business though.

This makes sense.

its obvious youre socially awkward. yes its rude to do that. how would you feel if the cashier just placed your change on the table and waited for you to pick it up? humans arent vending machines dumbass

Judging by this thread, people who work in retail are paranoid and oversensitive as fuck. And pretty vindictive, too.

On a static counter I don't ive a shit. I just assume they're a retarded autistic spectrum cunt that doesnt have social skills and I feel bad for them.

I dont think it's rude.
As a cashier it's annoying, especially if you handed out coins but it's just a small misunderstanding. Tourists do this all the time.

>how would you feel if a cashier placed your change on the counter?
Thats exactly what I do when the customers do that to me.

It pisses them off.

She was probably just annoyed at you paying in cash. Get a bank account with a card like a normal adult.

>paying in plastic for dat dere 3% processing charge and $.50 flat transact fee

I'm a manager at a subway sandwich shop.. And if a customer lays money on the counter like that. I just set there change on the counter too. Nbd. But you should hear the sighs from my customers when I do that. Fuck off. To me it is rude. I get much thought doesn't go into it. But when you set your cash on the counter you didn't hear me sigh. So fuck off.

It was bills, and this has come up at least twice. Well, three times actually. One time I stuck out my hand for my change, and she looked at me and said, "You're a funny guy, aren't you?" And then she set the change on the counter. I don't remember if I put on the money on the counter or not that day. She might have been trying to get back at me.

Totally would.

You should really fuck with her head. Start paying in exact change

$7.31

Put the five on the counter
Put a one in her hand
Fold a one in half length wise then place it in her hand across the first one
Put the quarter on the counter
Move the five over the quarter
Tuck the penny underneath the top one
And balance the nickle on its edge on top of the five

Maybe you shouldn't be doing your grocery shopping at 7-11 to begin with. That's ghetto behavior

somebody butthurt

Go back there, do it all over again, but this time you say to her in your best sand monkey accent:"My religion forbids me from touching the hand of a strange woman"

Then just walk out with a broken hearted, "why does no one understand me" look on your face. Try to guilt this bitch into giving you a free slurpee

OP, i had someone bitch under their breath about this to me recently. didn't say anything. tbh, it's better to put it all on the counter, so if there is a dispute as to incorrect change, the camera picks it up. have heard of people haven't incorrect change rectified because of this. if i feel the need to give exact change, i put it on the counter, if they seem sketchy, i put it on the counter. fuck em.

>haven't
i meant "having"

Op, was the cashier black? I've only ever seen black people get offended by this. I think it's a cultural thing

Sounds like you just got a cunty cashier. She should shut the fuck up and do her job.

She was white.

why don't you just throw it at her like a stripper?

Leave it to Sup Forums to take it to a racial place.

if I have my money out and their hand is not, I am placing it on the counter. I don't give a fuck if that offends you because your are required to do your job and serve me as a customer.

If that ever happens again, call the manager and tell them the employee has some attitude, you might even get a discount.

Sometimes people act strangely, even to non-autists.
Most times we dismiss small things, or rationalize their behavior as 'being a cunt'.

Regardless of her expectations, your interaction was not out-of-the-norm.
Her response to you WAS.

Next time, call her autistic.

How old was the cashier?

I've been in customer service for four years, and manage a place of entertainment...that is fucking ridiculous. No, it's not rude. at all. I actually prefer it so I don't have to accidentally touch people's disgusting hands.

I'm terrible at judging age. Probably in her 20s.

I'm sitting here pissed off just thinking about it

Wouldn't the milk have completely dried into powder or like a film or something?

Good to hear that. Yeah, I can imagine a lot of people preferring doing it this way.

No, touching people is not something 10 dollars an hour covers. Any idiot would take their hand, put it flat on the coins, and then sweep the coins from the counter and into their other waiting hand. I hate you so much

Glad to know I'm not crazy being so annoyed by this. Yeah, in the future, I'll make it a point to hand the money to the cashier so I don't come across like a dick, but her reaction does still seem really odd and over the top to me.

And why should he? You don't go into Africa and poke an ape with a stick, so why would our own slovenly riffraff be any different?

>American minimum wage workers are proud of being monkeys.

sounds like she was a fucking cunt. shove your dick down her throat. if it's too short break her jaw so you can go deeper.

youtube.com/watch?v=wRpDG2cWHVc