Hey Sup Forums I found a coin in the river. It heavy as fuck and looks like it could be worth something

Hey Sup Forums I found a coin in the river. It heavy as fuck and looks like it could be worth something.
Can anyone give me more information on this coin?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaler
acsearch.info/search.html?term=1525 Joachimsthal &category=2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1¤cy=usd&order=0
vcoins.com/en/stores/coin_kingdom_llc/181/product/bohemia_famous_schlick_thaler_1520_official_restrike_1967_unc_toned/333844/Default.aspx
cointalk.com/threads/plz-help-identifide-this-coin.151416/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its a chuck e cheese token you cunt

what area do you live in

bump for interest

NIGGA

I live in the north east of the united states.

bump

bump for interest

since that's where the colonies where first set up the coin will be real old. it might be currency used from around that time or it itself from an earlier point gathered for a collection

Hi, I'm Rick Harrison, and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, "Big Hoss." Everything in here has a story and a price. One thing I've learned after 21 years - you never know what is gonna come through that door.

Looks like something from Venice... dono about value.

Give you a dollar for it.

OP is now accepting paypal offers as gift or with 4% for the coin.

it might be dutch due to the lion. pretty sure they liked lions

seems to be about right.

If its a copper based alloy like cupronickel it would have a lot more corrosion for its years so its prob not that old. If its gold then its payday, but by the look of some of the tarnish thats prob not the case

this is now a good luck coin thread

It's Greek you dumb shits

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaler
"Dollar" comes from "thaler", which comes from "Joachimsthaler", a coin from Joachimsthale, or (Saint) Joachim's Valley.

So "dollar" 's root word is ultimately "valley".

I'm getting a lot of different opinions.. can anyone give me some definite info?

its a Thaler coin from the kingdom of bohemia

how is it greek

Bohemian Thaler.

It's a bohemian half-thaler, and probably around 500 years old, assuming it's authentic. It looks thick enough, and "heavy as fuck" is a pretty good sign. However, your obverse says REX:BOE which is weird; it's usually just BO. Plus I don't recognize the S and I flanking St. Jochim (dude holding the shield).

I doubt you found it in that good condition, in a river, though, unless someone kept it in good shape then ditched it recently, for whatever reason.

Assuming you're legit, just type in the letters around the edges to google, starting from the lion's head and going clockwise, and you'll find a bunch of similar ones.

Start here:
acsearch.info/search.html?term=1525 Joachimsthal &category=2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1¤cy=usd&order=0

and here:

You're looking for stuff that looks like this:
Obverse: Crowned lion rampant left
Obverse Legend: LVDOVICVS PRIM D GRACIA REX BO
Reverse: St. Jochim standing before shield
Reverse Legend: AR DOMI SLI ST E7 FRACO D BA

here is the front side and another link from wiki

vcoins.com/en/stores/coin_kingdom_llc/181/product/bohemia_famous_schlick_thaler_1520_official_restrike_1967_unc_toned/333844/Default.aspx

Fucking nice, OP.

Thanks, this information is useful. I was also thrown off by the condition of the coin.

this isnt an exact replica, I'm hoping what I found is worth something in the hundreds.

thanks.

thanks!

Following up on my own post, assuming it's authentic, it's worth anywhere between $25 and $1500, depending on how many of that particular minting are still around.

Either find auction records for that exact minting (has to be exact -- don't just find a similar looking one) or take it to a coin dealer / appraisal service (no, your local pawnbroker doesn't count).

OP it's one of these but might be an original with that color. They were made out of brass.

www.antiquanova.com/The-Schlick-counts-Half-Thaler-Bohemia-1520-fine-silver-replica-coin-d206.htm?tab=description

Fucking amazing find OP, I'm jelly.

Because when I want something appraised, my go to place for definitive answers is fucking Sup Forums. Not a coin store.

hey man b deserves some fun. you know theres some coin guru on b thats been waiting for something like this to pop up.

Question, OP:

Do the two sides match up, like on a modern coin (so, they're both "right side up" so to speak) or are they not aligned with eachother?

That's one quick and dirty way of seeing whether you have a replica or an original (or an above average replica)

Throw it back in the river. It's worthless.

can you elaborate on this? thanks.

What you have there fagit OP is a rare 18th century copper butt coin, closet faggots would carry 2 to 3 of those coin between their buttcheeks. QUITE rare indeed.

Close, but there are some details not quite right (The shape of the sleeves don't match, the font is more crowded on the replica, the lion's head doesn't have the same tilt)

Probably a different year, but damned close!

wowie, can't wait to kill myself : ^b )

Could you write out whatever it says on the coin?
And no it is not greek.

It's not a perfect system (because some replicas are better than others) but generally speaking if the "bottom" of one face of the coin doesn't match up perfectly with the "bottom" of the other face, it's more likely that your coin is authentic.

Now, with modern coins, they're struck by machines, but originally blanks were stamped by sitting them against a press and hitting them with a hammer. Even if you did both sides at once, the guy "striking the coins" wasn't likely to line up the two dies so that they would be oriented the same way (because he was minting thousands of the things and it would be impractical).

So, if the two faces on your coin aren't aligned with each other, it indicates that you have a coin made in the traditional way, not by a machine press (OR that you have a good replica, that took the original process into account, and deliberately offset the faces to make it more authentic).

An early thaler from Germany. A silver coin with St Joachim and a lion on the back.

I did my research using the inscription and know nothing about the coins.

Is far as exact year or if it's a replica I really don't know. This is a popular coin and there are many variants on the same theme. St Joachim with a shield and a lion on the back. Same inscription too. Could be anywhere from 250-500 years old.

But I'd take it to a few coin places and get it appraised (but know that any place that makes a living buying antiques will likely lowball you and possibly even tell you it's fake when it's not, best profits that way). Make sure you take it to a few diff people to get a consensus.

If dubs you must pooper pocket coin and then mouth it. Also pics

I would say that the two faces aren't aligned, thanks!

This is a roll thread now

Rolling

Scam!

No problem, dude,

This user found a good resource

But I don't agree with the conclusion.
1) why would a board game token / renaissance fair coin be in the middle east?
2) why would it be that thick?
3) why would it be that heavy? (heavy = metal = bullion value. Board game tokens are tin or aluminium.)
4) no one in that thread knows how to talk about coins properly.

So, those pics are great, and I'd suggest you use them if you're emailing coin dealers since they're clearer than yours and they have a measure visible, but I wouldn't discount the possibility that you have a genuine antique until you've had it properly appraised.

some more pics.

Balance it on the tip of your dick

congrats op it's worth a 1$

next thread.

Hi Rick
Do you have any copies of battletoads

Rerol

Rollin

Looks like a replica to me. The detailing is of a poor standard and the rim just seems to "new". It's a bit odd the edge doesn't have any reed in for a half thales.

Fuck I hate typing on a phone.