GUIDE TO SWANS

Get in here ya'll

youtube.com/watch?v=Nz5Uet2o4w8

Posting again because I fucked up the link lel

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BQin5hFhMiH/?taken-by=swans_official
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Already watched it. Pretty good overview.

Yeah deep cuts is pretty good, always an enjoyable watch

I like this guy

Are you his friend that posts here occasionally?

yep - so it's not quite shilling!

I wouldn't even care if it was shilling. It's great content.

this is great, he's finally getting to the good shit

Those quads are the real good shit here

You are all too nice for this not to be shilling

subbed

Wow, never thought I'd enjoy watching someone on youtube talk about music

I love deep cuts. He is the second best reviewer. He needs more subscribers. Also he needs to make a collab with melon head

Watched this video a few minutes after it was uploaded, deep cuts deserves way more subscribers.

That was a pretty good watch, for whatever reason I was expecting him to drone on inaccuracies about the bands history, but he did a great job.

Listening to him talk about the "song writer" years, ie 1989-1995 made me realize how much I've grown out of those. I hadn't really put much thought into it, but I realized that when starting out those were some of the most pleasant records to listen to. But I haven't revisited them in so long, now I find myself either listening to Filth, Cop, Young God era stuff or SFTB and forward.

I've even largely mellowed out on Children of God, which I honestly never expected because I considered it their best for such a long time, but going back just isn't the same. It's still way ahead of White Light, Love of Life and Great Annihilator though. I still think it's an incredibly consistent record, a really well sequenced one and concise. So, while interest has waned, I think it'll still hold up in the long run.

The ones after that though, honestly they aren't great. They feel bloated and lack focus, the lyrics, at least to me, are not memorable in the slightest, I'll have to give an exception to TGA though, a handful of tracks on that one really do have some incredible lyrics. Musically they also leave a ton to be desired, gone is that punishing but cathartic repetition. Sure there are some traces of that, it's still Swans after all, and TGA is somewhat of a return to form, but still they've grown boring to me, I rarely revisit them and I doubt that'll ever change.

how can you guys fucking stand to watch this guy talk for 40mins?
rather just read his script

What's your favourite of the revival records?

But I'm already into Swans

so when is /moo/ gonna turn on this guy and pretend they never liked him?

When he shaves his head, gets thick rimmed glasses and makes a side channel that turns into him unironically talking about memes, which he puts more effort into than his normal videos.

To Be Kind, for sure. I think that is just what they needed, a riff centric transcendental epic like that. It feels like the antithesis of the No Wave years while still harnessing that same visceral punch you get from the immensely powerful cacophony of sound, large in thanks to to the percussion, which I think is incredible on the revival years, and in particular on TBK. It is hypnotic in the best way.

The only blow to this album is that I honestly do not care particularly much for the centerpiece, and I really wish I did. I think "Bring The Sun" is the weakest track on that album, The Seer was so much better and actually felt ambitious to me comparatively. Hearing Gira speak of that album and how it was the result of 30 years of cumulative work , I really feel that on that track, it is absolutely sprawling instrumentally, it has so much going on in it and it truly feels essential to that album. Whereas "Bring The Sun" doesn't convince me at all, it feels a little bit like "Well we had a 30 minute track on the last one, so we should do that again" I do think the "intro" to it is pretty damn great though, the guitars in particular are so god damn powerful, but after the 5 minute mark, feels like there is nothing left in store for me, an epic intro and then a song that fizzles out for 25 god damn minutes. "The Glowing Man" (Track) took the best parts of that song and molded it into something much better.

To Be Kind > The Seer >>> The Glowing Man >>>> MFWGMUARTTS

Gimme dat fuckin meme channel

gotta disagree about Bring the Sun, absolute belter of a track

Yeah, I know I'm the minority, I really wish I loved it, but I just don't.

Deep quads

He posted his first video here to ask for input and has been surprisingly receptive to criticism. So it's not really shilling, he just knows his audience and uses Sup Forums as a sort of sounding board.

Apparently Swans has a big announcement planned for next week, and they also made an instagram

instagram.com/p/BQin5hFhMiH/?taken-by=swans_official

it's tagged with #recordstoreday

Could they have a release planned for it? Possibly an EP?

probably the the great annihilator vinyl reissue

I think you're right, the instagram post they made after this was a promotional poster from 1995 for The Great Annihilator.

They need to do Soundtracks for the Blind