Hey Sup Forums what do you guys think of the afterlife...

Hey Sup Forums what do you guys think of the afterlife? I had read this short book that you can find if you google "Truth Contest" It was a pretty interesting concept. Basically you just keep reincarnating until we hit a point where we get to be humans. Depending on what we do in this life we may transcend to a "heaven" like state where we are much less primal and chimp like. Basically we live peacefully and everything is awesome i guess you could say. If we are huge cocksucking niggers in this life we basically just start at the bottom of the foodchain again. Which in turn is millions of more years of predator/prey scenarios. Idk its a strange concept but i enjoyed the book at the time. Was actually decent.I tried to be spiritual and loving but have reverted back to my older ways... Whats Sup Forums take on what happens when we die? I do realize we can only speculate but id like some real opinions not just bullshit you die and thats it. There has to be something more, whether thats reincarnation into another human body or even we just transcend into a different dimension filled with strange geometrical shapes and sounds and weird shit. What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment
youtube.com/watch?v=MTFY0H4EZx4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As much as that is a cool idea, it seems that it emphasizes that humans are special. We're just another animal, just smart and complicated. I feel that if there's an afterlife, it will be something of great beauty, far beyond our understanding. I don't think there's any great being judging us and placing us accordingly in a specific afterlife. I think the king and the pawn both go in the same box after the game, if you know what I mean.

Wow dude thats fucking awesome. That makes a lot of sense and i have to agree. it is absolutely beyond our comprehension as just feeble minded primal beings. Its awesome that we are a little more advanced to where we can actually speculate on the topic and at the very least put together hypothesis. I do agree about that part wiht the king and the pawn. I think everything is connected and we are in like a machine that is just working together in perfect harmony. I dont really to much believe in an omniscient being either but maybe a creator or someone that programmed this huge machine is possible. I just dont see how we would exist any other way then some advanced life form that doesnt abide by the laws of time and space. There has to be something behind the scenes... Good post though man.

doesn't make much sense. I mean, what is "you" exactly that keeps reincarnating? It's not your memories or senses since we know these are tied to physical processes. I don't know what the entity you call yourself is, that is flying around and at some point, entering some combination of a sperm and egg, and slowly building up the basic faculties of a conscious creature over a timeline dependant on the species. And for some reason the loss of these faculties means 'you' once again fly around to hunt for another sperm and egg? what makes you think any of this is true?

Thats true i definitely think there is more to us then just our physical body. Our soul for lack of a better word is whats piloting our body. So we wouldnt remember our past lives when our body at the time got destroyed. So we probably endured all that prey and predator scenarios as a soul moving through lesser beings. Who else were the dinosaurs and all the animals? They all have souls in my opinion. They can all think to an extent. Maybe not exactly as we do but they definitely feel and have instincts. Those are souls. There is something piloting that meat sack. just like there is something piloting ours.
And there is something behind the scenes contributing to our collective subconscious as well i believe... Trans dimensional beings maybe. idk it sounds weird but i cant believe this is just from some random big bang in a universe that somehow just magically exist... Theres more to it i can almost garuntee that///

Thanks!

I feel like there's a connection among all existence. Living and non-living. I think the connection is what you would call "god' but it is not in the traditional sense. I think there is something more than us, but it is not as it has been depicted in common religion.

>like a machine that is just working together in perfect harmony

This resonates with me. I do not believe in objective "good" and "evil." I do not believe they exist as we understand them. Something happens and we try to apply our way of thinking to it, when really shit just happens.

I'm not gonna lie, I've made a lot of these opinions after doing a lot acid/shrooms and stuff. I don't think my opinions are absolute truths, it's just how I feel on the subject after spending a lot of time thinking about things

So in turn all the animals will eventually get a chance at being a human.. And then we will endure everything good and bad. So basically you might have a shitty life this time, but if you are a decent spiritual human being maybe next time you have a great life. Then that time you are an egotistical fucking prick and you treat people like shit. Then you end up in some third world nigger infested country. But you dont know any better and everyone is happy because they are greatful and you love your shitty life and try to be spiritual. Back good end of the spectrum. So its just balance. Balance dictates everything and you will experience everything in life good and bad. Weird concept i know but it does make some sort of sense at least to me.

That is a quote by a man called Henry Buckle, it originated at the turn of the last century.

Socrates may have said something like this but not in that fashion anywhere recorded.

So you wager that there are souls piloting meat sacks, and I wager that whatever soft stuff we have in our heads is capable of doing all of the piloting, meaning the soul isn't needed. Consider this, We understand completely how certain bacteria works, and we have this line of ever-increasingly complex creatures, from the billions of bacteria in your body, to micro-organisms, to bugs, to mice, to people. We know at the smallest creatures exactly how they work completely, and to suggest some kind of soul would be required at this point would be to suggest the soul does absolutely nothing, since every little action is accounted for. So you may or may not agree that bacteria have no soul. Then you have creatures in a gradient of complexity from there to people, and we understand them less and less as they get more complex. But there is good reason to think we may figure it all out, and the only place you could assert there is a soul, is where we have a complete understanding and faculties are missing and cannot be explained. Without this complete understanding, it's merely pondering for the existence of a soul (and to an extent, the lack thereof).

Yeah dude thats the only real logical observation that can be made in my opinion as well. I mean i doubt there is a god and devil. It was a perfect fear mongering tactic that has worked for fucking centuries but once you can stop beleiving in an omniscient christian gods cause of pascals wager you will be able to see the truth. that we are all connected like a perfect assembly line or machine. everything is perfect lol. its pretty awesome :)

>Whats Sup Forums take on what happens when we die?
I've thought about this for a while. Here's a summation:

I think that brain death results in a staged loss of perception where your ability to comprehend things as you do now diminishes rapidly over a short period of time. By the end of it I think it's unlikely that you have any sense of self or awareness beyond the absolute most basic, primal senses that are processed in the oldest parts of the brain (the brain stem). Given that there's no oxygen being circulated that will run out first in areas of lowest blood volume, which is the outer areas of the brain. The middle bits and the brain stem have higher blood volume so those will "live" longer in those few last seconds of life.

Judging by dudes like pic related (Carlos Rodriguez), who are basically happy all the time regardless, I think the experience is not likely to be a bad one. By default, when you can't process input, it seems you don't give a shit about it. By the time all the parts of your brain have stopped functioning there's nothing left to give a shit with.

As for your soul... you'd best pick a priest and ask them about that, there's all sorts of interesting stories.

its just hard for me to believe that this was all just purely based off of chance.. Our atmosphere is perfect to harbor life and its just hard for me to believe the big bang happened and set up these circumstances where all of this crazy shit going on would be possible. to me thats almost as crazy as believing in a all powereful god and a evil devil fighting over the physical world.

Just like bliss or peacefulness?

Everything IS perfect. Everything is as it is, which is exactly how it's supposed to be.

I agree good sir. Everything is synchronized in perfect harmony. That only leaves one question though for me. Why is there so much suffering in this life? Are we just trying to test our wills as humans and see how well we do with it? Then take that experience to the spiritual realm? Or why? I dont know why theres so much suffering in life. I know theres good to but what is the reason that there is a balance between "good" and "evil". Are we preparing ourselves for the afterlife?

Real MinDS CRate

Well as much as you think it's extremely unlikely, consider how many extremely unlikely events occur all of the time. We have trillion upon trillions of possible plants in the universe that could grant us these "perfect conditions". The atmosphere doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be close enough. it actually has some variance in density/the stuff in it depending on time and where you are on the earth, and we are fairly adaptable not to notice.

If you roll a 1million sided die a billion times, you are likely to roll the number 1million a few times. There are so many candidates for a planet like ours it's pretty much inevitable we would get conditions like this a lot of times throughout the universe.

Life could be more ubiquitous than you think. We simply lack the data on how easy it is for life to spring up because we haven't really sampled any other planets except a bit from mars.

Life developed here to suit the environment. The environment came first, then life happened. Amino acids form long peptides all by themselves with the right conditions. You need light, water and energy as heat. Those peptides stick together and form complex proteins, the start of evolution.

If the Earth was slightly different the life that would grow on it would have matched that environment. If the conditions of Earth did not provide the basic requirements for peptides to spontaneously form (which they do) then life wouldn't have started.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

Life is complex, but complex does not mean ordered. Everything in life, complex as it is, serves to increase the entropy of the universe.

Here: youtube.com/watch?v=MTFY0H4EZx4

> trillions of possible planets*
woops

It's not surprising that there is life in the Universe, given it's scope. We just happen to be the only life that we know of.

I think the afterlife is a bunch of shit ancient people made up because they either couldn't handle or couldn't conceive of ceasing to exist.

every matter is made of atoms, as far as we know, so are we. the principle of conversation of energy tells us that our body doesnt "end", we just change our state of aggregation. so its fair to say, that there is an afterlife for "our" atoms...everything beyond that is pure speculation....

Put it this way: you don't even have the ability to tell the difference between bad and good when that part of your brain has died.

It's bliss beyond what you comprehend now because you can comprehend bliss in comparison to... not bliss.

I've done a lot of research on this for many years now. I plan on publishing it some time... hopefully before I die of course, otherwise I'll probably forget.

Modern religion: a way to get a day off.

Picture this... you're a slave thousands of years ago being worked every day. You get shit for lunch, shit for dinner and shit on directly. Your life is shit. But, if you work on the sabbath, the holy day, you go to hell! That's worse than shit! The only thing you've got to look forward to is that when you're dead you get heaven... if you follow the rules. So you follow the damn rules! Fuck this pharoah, I'm not building any stinking pyramid on the sabbath or I'll live this shit life for nothing! Kill me, IDGAF! I'll go to heaven and shit on you!

Of course the people controlling the religion gain great power in the number of people who follow it, but don't pay attention to that! It's all about God or something! Rise up against your shitty masters and follow God! Tithes go in the tithe box btw.

Organised religion is basically the first trade union.

There is so much suffering. I don't know why, but I would imagine it's just a part of the deal. I think it ties back to the fact that we are animals in nature. We perceive this suffering as evil, when really it is just the way things are. Does the gazelle question his suffering while the lioness gorges herself on his still living body?

I understand that i dont think science shouldnt coexist with spirituality or religion, but my thing is how did the universe even get here? And if your answer is "well the big bang of course" Who or what the fuck made that happen. Energy is not created or destroyed only transfered. So how did any of this get "created" Cause technically we are just energy at a sub atomic level right? I just think there are variables that have not been included in the situation that a huge bang just exploded and created the universe... I believe that variable is the creator or what most people call "god" There is something that does not comply with time and space. That thing created us...

Yes this has to be true dude thats what im saying to some extent

Science can't answer those questions which is why I suggested you ask a priest of any description. One is likely to have an answer you like, there's plenty to choose from.

I pay attention to problems within my ability to solve. If there is one thing I know, just one, it's that my abilities are critically limited even more than I can understand myself, and that in and of itself is a huge and unsurpassable limit.

I doubt I'd recognise God even if he introduced himself, it's beyond my comprehension.

> I understand that i dont think science shouldnt coexist with spirituality or religion
I'm not saying this.

> but my thing is how did the universe even get here?

The big bang is the earliest event we know of (know being the most likely theory based on excellent evidence). We actually don't know how it happened. Where we don't know something, we state we don't know. The big bang isn't the answer, it's the earliest event we know of. We don't have an answer, and quite frankly neither do you.

so the questions remain: is our mind made of atoms? are "we" more than atoms? is everything more than atoms? when everything is made of atoms, isnt everything "connected"?

So its beyond our comprehension so the only thing to do now is just try to live a fulfilled life and be happy or what? Why are we fucking here? lol i know those are questions nobody really has the answers to for sure but i will not stop asking until i find an answer that makes sense enough to put my mind at ease and make me feel ok,.. I dont feel ok this stuff fucks with me everyday. Im sure it does you guys as well but its just a huge mind fuck...

I don't think you'll find the meaning of life on Sup Forums but I've been wrong before. Maybe you'll find a meaning you like. Good luck.

Yeah thanks dude... Good luck to you as well.

> So its beyond our comprehension
No it's not beyond out comprehension, we just haven't figured it out yet. I'm just not tempted to insert an answer where we don't have one yet.

> Why are we fucking here?
You've missed a question you've assumed the answer to before you have decided to ask this question. You should first ask "Why is there a reason to be here? why is a purpose necessary? Is a purpose necessary?" You've persumed a purpose is necessary, that there even is a "why" before you've asked the question.

I agree with this.

To me, "you" is a collection of your memories, and your reputation that you built for yourself. Even if your "soul" enters another human being, your memories don't go with you, and your reputation doesn't either. So even if we did reincarnate, it wouldn't matter at all in the long run.
Personally, I believe you just die and nothing special happens. Sorry, but this is what I truely believe. Your memories are gone and the only thing you leave in this world are your reputation and your bones; your reputation slowly fades away and your bones, if not preserved properly, will decompose as well.

Just read Camus/Sartre/Nietzsche and fuck off and let me masturbate dweeb.

Yeah we are just little energy particles. I guess thats what everything is. Energy parts to the same puzzle. We just think subjectively as individuals so thats almost impossible to comprehend that we are all connected. Not just that whole we are human so we must be connected. No we are actually fucking connected like neurons in a brain firing simultaneously. I cant even comprehend that with my little peanut brain lol...

i dont think its "true" as in matching our observation for infinitely more time, even as we learn to watch our universe more closely.
but i do admit, its an interesthing thought experiment worth investigating further.

to me, death is the end. but depending on the species, your character and achievements may live on in other people/animals.

i am prety sure the original context is not european, but asian religions.

yep.

>it emphasizes that humans are special. We're just another animal
i have read it in that way before, but if you formulate the concept a little more universal, it points into a completely other direction.
its about the question how do we step up from "just human" and become MORE evolved.

i think the main distinction between humans and other animals is that we can amass a virtually infinite amount of knowledge and preserve it through generations.
no other species on the planet can do that.

now imagine a species that can not only do that, but even more. some other trait that distinguises that specias as much from as as we have set ourselves apart from even from the most advances predators living on the planet.

>hiroshima is faggot, file size limits suck

OP here.
That last part is what gets me... We are more evolved and i believe we can go further but there has to be other beings that are transdimensional and dont have to exist in our timeline right? Why else hgave we not found alien life? The only reason is that they arent in this dimension. Nothing to find in this universe except earth and us humans because thats how it was designed...

judging by how hugely popular a man called jesus of nazareth is... he hasnt lost a tiny bit of his enormous reputation during about 2000 years, rather contrary.
gotta agree with christians on one thing here, if anyone, that dude is the one human closest to truly "reincarnating", though not as christians believe it happened.
( typed that again, missing words)

nice. thats what i always tried to get: the mimikry of nature, cause the known universe looks like neurons in a big brain...nice to know, that there are similar thinking people...

OP here
Have you looked at fibonaccis sequence? That is one thing that points me to believing there is a universal architect that put his thumbprint in all this randomness. Maybe tried to show us that we are not random and this is by intelligent design. The other one for me is language. Thats a big enough indicator that we have tapped into some sort of collective subconscious. We just inherently know what to call things. I guess we could have developed that trait but its just weird to me how perfectly everything flows and i can type this shit to you guys and you all can understand....

>Why else have we not found alien life?
i am going with a realist answer on this one though

life in this universe is a thing that doesnt happen a lot, let alone HIGHLY developed.
i mean, we are like 100 milestones away from just coplex molecules, that has got to be something super-duper-mega-ultra rare.

you dont even have to go transdimensional/lizard people/alternate reality/grandfather paradox crazy here. i think just finding a better form of organizing our lifes together, thats enough to get one step further.
i kind of feel like the current internets is the prototype of the next step of major development.

oh and i do think we are soon gonna find life in the universe. within like 15 years we can send off probes at 30% light speed, which means we finally can map all nearby solar systems within reasonable timespans (years, not millenias)

That is an excellent point, actually.
Jesus hasn't "died" because he still has that immense popularity with millions of followers worldwide. The only way he was remembered is because we passed on those memories and his reputation both in writing and vocally, by going to church or worshiping him as you see fit.
I don't want to sound mean, but if you were to die in your sleep tonight, how long would it be until everyone that knows you forgets about you? How long would you be remembered?
There are some cultures that recognize two deaths: one where you physically die, and one where you are no longer remembered. Jesus has not yet reached this "second death" as he is remembered. If we have a nuclear war and wipe each other out, who will be around to remember Jesus of Nazareth or to worship him? At that moment, there will no longer be and humans on earth, and most bibles will undoubtedly be destroyed, and Jesus will "die" and nothing will matter anymore.

>We just inherently know what to call things.
Having teached disabled children to learn to speak. I dont think so. We learn that shit.

Yes, we do have developed a special region in our brain that is extremely good at that (so good even modern supercomputers cannot perform that task this well).

But no, languages are usually just crappy, the only reason we still use thos our parents have teaches us is that computer science has not progressed far ebough to be able to figure out how to design higher languages.
>[in Computer Science, languages are able to describe all that our current computers can do, and then some, but still not nearly as much as brains can do]

kill yourself and find out