Writes a few sentences about five or so songs from an album

>writes a few sentences about five or so songs from an album
>says these songs would have made a great EP
>dismisses the rest of the album as filler without even listening to it
>gives a 6.5 or something

why the actual fuck does anyone take this hack seriously?

We don't.

>/thread

>Ratings: 10=best album ever; 9=rock masterpiece; 8=buy it now; 7=buy it eventually; 6=buy it if you are a fan

5 or 6 great songs out of several seems like enough to check out the album imo

Only one worth taking seriously.

What album are you even talking about? Do you actually care about discussing music?

>doesn't even invest any time looking into context of the album

>makes purposely unfounded callous statements or knowingly acts like an asshole

>shits on artists because they become popular, hence "gaining him more attention"

>doesn't listen to a lot of albums more than once, or even finishes them.

>shoehorns any allusion to his beatles hate obsession/rant in his reviews

>claims to have won "several international awards" and "most professional analysis of the career of pop group the Beatles ever written" with no evidence

>strokes his own ego and flaunts his "achievements"

Nobody can take him seriously as a music critic, he's purely doing this for himself

If you're asking seriously why people take him seriously, it's because he's incredibly knowledgeable about music. His reviews are incredibly biased and questionable, but he knows more than possibly anyone else about the history of rock/jazz music and has written an incredible amount about it so people listen to him.

That sounds like something that he would say about himself

If there's any bias, he's biased towards music that's innovative and pushes rock music's boundaries.

Sure, he has a few evident flaws, but he also has the better taste amongs all the major music critics.
He can sound pretentious, and many of his reviews are far from being flawless, but he's right at least 90% of the times.
He also used to be better when he was younger and wrote in italian only.

>he knows more than possibly anyone else about the history ...jazz music
see this sort of claim makes me think he's a fraud. I don't doubt that he's familiar with a bit rock music but his fucking understanding and appreciation of jazz is a fucking travesty.

I find it kinda suspicious that he's listened to like probably thousands or tens of thousands of albums, wrote dozens of books, wrote dozens of essays, read thousands of books, watched thousands of movies, traveled the world, etc...

A pop album with 3 or 4 good songs (usually the singles) and a lot of mediocre ones?
That's really something unheard of!
This must be because he's a hack that obviously hasn't listened the album in its entirety!

>doesn't listen to a lot of albums more than once, or even finishes them
Source?

"I often read reviews of albums by major artists (this pretty much only happens with major artists) that ask the reader to listen "several times" to the album: at first, it may sound like the album is mediocre, but, upon repeated listening, one is supposed to realize that it is actually a great album. I have nothing to object to the method. I simply wonder if those same critics use the same method when judging the album of a less publicized artist, or if they just toss the album in the garbage can after not even finishing the first listen; because, if you listen to every album over and over again, it is likely that you'll fall in love with pretty much any piece of music ever recorded."

It seems heavily implied that he does that

...You took "he doesn't finish albums" from something he had to say, something extremely fucking valid, about other critics? Are you mad? It doesn't even matter if he listens to an album once, or 10 times. What matters is what he wrote about it and what your response to what he wrote about it is.

Dude is kinda old.
I'm a lot younger than him, but I listened to a LOT of albums, not as many as him, but still in the order of the 10 thousands, without even putting music on 24/7.
Maybe Scaruffi is also one of those super hyperactive dudes who only sleep 3 hours per night and try doing something productive every second of his free time.
Nobody can really know.

Here's how you get a Scaruffi 8 or more:
>be female
>whine about rape and other lefty woes

Okay, but I have the right to criticise about what he has to say, I'm questioning the basis of his arguments if he doesn't finish the album or listens to it once. I'm not asking him to listen to albums "several times" but you can develop an entirely different level of understanding or opinion with even a second listen.

>>says these songs would have made a great EP
I can count the times he has said that on one hand.
>>dismisses the rest of be album as filler without even listening to it.
Err, no.

>Okay, but I have the right to criticise about what he has to say

Fuckin' ay. Go for it.

> I'm questioning the basis of his arguments if he doesn't finish the album or listens to it once

But you don't know if he does or not, so there's no point bitching about it. It's time better spent criticizing the things he's actually said about an album.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Scaruffi is not that left-leaning (he's even against gay marriage) and doesn't pander to SJWs, especially in his music reviews. Have you read his review of the Anohni album?

Being against gay marriage doesn't make you not a leftist, it just makes you Italian. Even Communists in Italy hate faggots.

When did this happen?

>more than possibly anyone else
you do realize there are people who spend their whole lives studying this shit right?

You're right he is doing this purely for himself, but that's just the point of his website. Just take it however you want to but know his first.

Also in order to appreciate music context helps, but what Scaruffi does is separate from that, he rates the value of the music from a vacuum (in line with his own values of what makes good music, of course).

yes, because of the catholic faith. Even many communists or far-left voters in Italy are religious.
But Scaruffi is a non-believer and generally hates organized religions.

Lisa Germano's discography. Most female singer-songwriters in his 7.5/8s

doesn't he not support gay marriage because he can't fuck 12 year olds?

He gives high ratings to noisy, masculine, culturally conservative stuff like Butthole Surfers too, which is like, exactly the opposite.

How about you try describing the big picture artistic impact of your favorite meme-rap or flavor of the month indie album in the larger musical tradition.

God, plebs get angry when they're insecure.

what the fuck? this implies the exact opposite of that.

he is saying that people should spend more time with challenging albums instead of forcing themselves to like pop albums, basically.

He reviewed a 4 hour hip hop instrumental album and detailed a long response to almost every track. Then gave it a very good review. To suggest he is flippant after he reviwed an obscure opus is disgustingly off base. Grow up. OP is an idiot. Shut up and let the man live. He works in AI and obviously contributes to society in ways most of this board never will.

worse than scaruffi in every possible way. arguably the worst critic of anything of all time.

Filth is a hoot! B+
(He actually said this)

sjws are the autist's bogeyman, they're really not that much of a thing irl

Xgau isn't a critic, he's just a professional troll.

You're thinking of p4k idiot

>i use my own scale-weighting to appear contrarian even though my 6/10s are essentially the same 8/10's that everyone is giving

>Scaruffi hears an album
>creates a well-written, honest critique of an album

>Christgau hears an album
>spends a week thinking of a shitty quip then spends another week thinking of what emoji best represents his shitty quip

Nah, p4k is liberal, not left-wing. Didn't you see how quickly they railed against M.I.A. when she actually started espousing left-wing views (see: MAYA)?