Tell me, Sup Forums

Is there, in all honesty, any other prog album that even comes close?

Also, /prog/ general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FIGH4Sa12PQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yeah loads of stuff
most good period yes albums are a lot better than than. ctte, tales, relayer. i used to love genesis but they have shrunk on me a bit. decent tho

Selling England is one of my favourites and definitely in my top 3, but prog albums aren't a linear contest. You can hardly compare Selling England to Lark's Tongue or to Pawn Hearts.

Also, /prog/ related, something I found on Youtube two weeks ago:
youtube.com/watch?v=FIGH4Sa12PQ

No, this is the best desu

See, for me, it's been the other way around. I still love Yes, and Fragile/CTTE are still two of my favorite albums of all time.

But while Yes sounds great, it still feels completely inseparable from the time in which it was written (though not as bad as ELP).

Parts of Selling and TLLDOB still sound dated as fuck (any time Banks touches the Pro Soloist) but holy shit does the Collins/Rutherford/Hackett interplay sound so fresh it could have come from the past 10 years of indie sometimes.

The use of the chorus mellotron on Selling also sounds like something from a 90s symphonic metal band. Late PG-era Genesis just feels to me like it has a much broader sonic palette than anything else from that period, and they did most of it really, really well.

So yeah, I used to love Yes while thinking that Genesis was too artsy, too intellectual. Now it's flipped, and I can't get enough of old Genesis while Yes sounds increasingly shallow and I find myself listening to their poppier classic era stuff because tracks like Long Distance Runaround, Roundabout, and And You And I are much better at what they were trying to be than all of Close To The Edge or all of Relayer ever were.

fuck me this is naff

thats really interesting cause i feel totally the opposite. could just be do to with getting into Yes much earlier in my life and having more of a sentimental attachment to it.

but i think theres something about how genesis feel rooted in this very real-world sense of old-fashioned brutishness that makes it feel dated to me. as corny as the cosmic/spiritual/whatever themes of the yes stuff it feels timeless in its earnestness. also i just reckon the tunes are much better.

for the record i think ELP are total trash

This is a nice album promotin the preservation of European culture.

>fuck me this is naff
is that good or bad
I sent it to adrian belew and he replied saying he really liked it

properly awful imo

It's not even the best Genesis album.
I'd say it ranks in third after Foxtrot and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

that's a shit opinion senpai, but then again you also think Yes is better than Genesis so that figures

>while thinking that Genesis was too artsy, too intellectual.

>for the record i think ELP are total trash

Why? I know they became the poster child for all that was wrong with how the big prog acts reacted to the fast approaching 80s, but début to Brain Salad Surgery I feel they were legitimately one of the best prog acts of the era, only to dismissed by people who don't like prog or are embarrassed for liking prog because they bought into some outdated hegemony demonizing musicians that know music theory.

imo the lamb lies is their best album. way too long tho.

its been quite a few years since ive listened to them but i just never liked any of their tunes. maybe one day ill give them another chance.

OP here. You could write an entire longform about trying to determine whether Selling England By The Pound or The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is the better album and still get nowhere conclusive. They're both that good.

I try, user

nursery cryme is the best dingus

larks tongue far surpasssed it

More Fool Me is fantastic.
Fight me.

Foxtrot > A Trick of the Tail > SEBTP > Lamb

Foxtrot > A Trick of the Tail > SEBTP > Lamb > W&W > Nursery Cryme

When will they get the recognition they deserve?

There are a few superior prog albums but the guitar solo on Firth of Fifth is the best in the genre.

Okay Sup Forums I have about 3000 prog songs from the 1970s, what are some good progs albums from the 80s/90s/00s/10s

>80s
King Crimson - Discipline
Rush - Moving Pictures
Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card
Genesis - Duke
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

I have most of those, but I will check out Turn of a Friendly Card and Misplace Childhood

Define deserve.

Most old prog bands never really hit mainstream attention, Kansas at least got some radio play.

>when you realize there's a black dog behind him

Just kidding guys, this is the real best prog album

My only issue with this album has always been John Wetton on lead vocals. (coincidentally he died a few weeks ago)

I can't stand when singers go flat.

Abacab is a much better prog album than Duke though, BTW

>Ranking any post-PG prog Genesis above Foxtrot/SEBTP/TLLDOB
>Ever.

Let's be serious m8. A Trick of the Tail is decent as-is, but it's nothing compared to the highs of the classic Gabriel albums.

Meanwhile, I would argue that most of the post-PG, pre-Duke Genesis albums are the weakest stuff that the band ever produced.