This is the biggest battlescene anyone's done since the silent era, in technical terms...

This is the biggest battlescene anyone's done since the silent era, in technical terms ... It's not what you're used to seeing. I don't know when someone last did a kino with a gorillion extras and a bunch of horses in a real environment. It is an escalation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A
youtube.com/watch?v=exI45AnLBRc
youtu.be/pPls2qEMs_k?t=11m37s
youtube.com/watch?v=AQXdzdEx0h4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go to the general and stop shitting up the board

That's a big battle

too bad it was 80% cgi and looked like a video game

For you.

What is Lord of the Rings for 500 Alex!

I thought it was done quite well, predictable but yea its time the Starks had a win and you guys nitpick the shit out of every episode anyway regardless of what happens.

>biggest battle scene since the silent era.

youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

are you fags even trying?

Waterloo had literally thousands of extras.

Rome had a pretty big budget, I really like their battle of Philippi

youtube.com/watch?v=exI45AnLBRc

fuck that must have been expensive to film

Nothing will ever beat Lord of the Rings in terms of epic battles.

But this GoT ep was excellent.

>Birthday cake
>In ancient Rome
What did he mean by this?

Biggest battle on television you fucking fag

1/10 made me reply

where did the giant piles of bodies come from?

Good battles but not as much blood and gruesomeness

You haven't watched any Polish historic movie, then.
Those fucks have the castles, the fields, the horses, the armors, the props - everything. They don't even need to do CGI (most of the time).
Just look up movies like Vienna, Knights of The Teutonic Order, etc.

Yeah, Sup Forums is totally not a contrarian pos

4 jews

Battles aren't supposed to look like fun and awesome! They're grisly, weird, tragic, and disgusting displays of humanities' tragic character. They're dirty. The opening scene of Lincoln for instance was a perfect example. GoT battle of bastards got battles right, even if they weren't as EPIC as LOTR or grand. They got it right.

Skip to youtu.be/pPls2qEMs_k?t=11m37s

11:37 if it isnt there already.

>GoT battle of bastards got battles right
>what is sending heavy/shielded infantry out first
>what is flanking your enemy with cavalry
>all the arrows from the volleys missing Jon fucking Snow

Yep, they got it right.
My eyes were bleeding at how little went into the tactics and how everything had a "charge" button attached from beginning to end.

Double team phalanx, one guy holds shield other one shanks with spear.

>pottery

>the inexplicable mound of dead bodies
Holy shit this show has become the worst thing ever. How many times can you jump the shark

This shit is worse than 300. At least 300 was self-aware of how ridiculous and stupid it is

Jon Snow already had a battle plan, he acted on emotion, and stupidly. I thought this was obvious? His plan was to have the Boltons charge their center and to have trenches around their flanks. They were expecting their center to buckle kind of like at the battle of cannae and I think the plan was to have them surrounded.

They couldn't flank them with shitty cav numbers anyway, its hard to flank when you're outnumbered. If you're talking about the boltons cavalry how were they supposed to flank when they cavalry already charging them?

when the Stark calvary was already charging them*

I sure am glad that the Good Guys beat the Bad Guys in the epic battle, it's the sort of thing I love about the show so much.

well people would eventually stop watching the show if the good guys got their shit kicked in all the time

Bro, 300 was fucking awesome. Are you deficient in testosterone or something?

>"Since the silent era"
>is clearly wrong about this
>"CONTRARIANS!!!!!"

No it's just facts. This isn't even a matter of opinion.

Yeah, Sup Forums is totally not a plebbit pos

youtube.com/watch?v=AQXdzdEx0h4
>The shooting of the battle itself began on 25
August 1963 – its 151st anniversary by the Julian Calendar. 13,500 soldiers and 1,500 horsemen substituted for the historical armies. Several reports in the Western press have put the number of soldiers who participated at 120,000; however, in an interview to National Geographic in 1986, when asked "did he really use 120,000 soldiers for the battle of Borodino?", Bondarchuk answered: "that is exaggeration, all I had was 12,000

>He didn't like 300

fag detected

Sup Forums is totally not a plebbit pos
>Sup Forums is not plebbit.

pHAHAHAEHAHAHAHAHAHA

you triggered m8?

>Gets triggered when wrong
>call others triggered
ok

>Double team phalanx
Christ that sounds retarded, I don't watch the show but why couldn't they go with some type of Saxon shield wall? Are they being stupid on porpoise?

>Biggest battle on television since the silent television era

>I can't read: the post

Jon Snow's plan was to rush the fuck out of that shit.
He wasn't even able to tell Davos "shoot under any circumstance" or at least something like a plan B. Instead of giving him instructions, he gave Davos the "charge" button.

>sending archers that didn't shoot even one arrow into melee
Was that his plan?

>His plan was to have the Boltons charge their center and to have trenches around their flanks
What center? What trenches?
You literally just saw two cavalry units charging at each other without any forethought, and every other type of unit following into the meatgrinder.
Literally no plan.
Like I said - one of them would send an obligatory line of infantry with pikes and take down the enemy cavalry, then start flanking the shit out of that.

>They couldn't flank them with shitty cav numbers anyway, its hard to flank when you're outnumbered
I was talking about Bolton.

>If you're talking about the boltons cavalry how were they supposed to flank when they cavalry already charging them
By sending infantry first and watching the situation.

Video is blocked.

I secretly love 300 but I am ashamed to admit it.

It's pretty shitty 2bh

I don't think you watched the episode correctly. The plan before the battle was exactly how I outlined it in my post. When Bolton psychologically manipulated him into trying to save his brother, there was no choice but for his army to charge with him. Tactically it was ridiculous, and it was a bad move, but again, like I said, he remitted his previous plans given the emotional butthurt he was in.

>>sending archers that didn't shoot even one arrow into melee
>Was that his plan?
They were already in battle and shooting arrows pointlessly into your own ranks like Bolton wasn't going to cut it for them. They just charged to help their comrades. Davos and Snow had an abstract plan already detailed on paper before the battle, but shit just went awry.

They are just retarded, im at the point where i watch this only for memes

>gets triggered for being called triggered
>call others triggered
Its like triggerception. See how this works, champ?

Of all the things I enjoyed about Rome, Marc Antony in this scene was not one of them. Its not true that you just "let the battle happen, time to get some brunch". You'd be issuing orders through your commanders in a courier chain, and I would've enjoyed seeing Antony and Octavian showing their skills.

This was the most awesome TV episode battle I have seen. 1 single episode that looked like it was made for a high budget movie. There was so much attention to detail and so much going on. It filled every frame with something interesting and different.

This.

>Charge most valuable part of army head on into the combat
>Mow them down with own archers
>Keep part of army most suitable for dealing with Calvary in reserve until the convenient wall of corpses.

Pottery.

It is retarded. Hoplite formations didn't have tower shields, because the combatants wouldn't be able to fucking see, especially with the person carrying the shield not having the fucking pike.

But it wasn't a hoplite formation, it was an abstract shield wall/roman strategy thing that wouldn't work, because the second you got past the spear points, everyone is so blind you can just keep killing people behind a shield and the spears become useless. Those tower shields were so comically large, there's no way anyone could see to defend themselves.

>hi I'm 12 the post

>The plan before the battle was exactly how I outlined it in my post
Wait, wait, wait... the plan was to lure out the enemy that had more units that were better equipped, better trained and were better organised into a battle in an open field?
Literally what?
And anyone wonders why the Starks are near fucking extinct?

>there was no choice but for his army to charge with him
I was not talking about Jon's army.
Ramsay is not enough of a stupid fuck to send cavalry against cavalry. He had pavise-equipped units with spears/pikes. You send that against cavalry, while covering archer units that shoot down the front lines of the cavalry. Jesus Christ, that's just basic stuff.

>They were already in battle and shooting arrows pointlessly into your own ranks like Bolton wasn't going to cut it for them
They had several opportunities to utilise their archers.
>during the charge, when they could've sent the arrows as far as possible, not putting Jon at risk
>during the first clash, obviously as far as possible, avoiding probably 99% of their own units
>when the initial meatgrinder phase came to and end
Also
>sending archers into melee
Literally just a waste of good soldiers.

>Davos and Snow had an abstract plan already detailed on paper before the battle
I imagine the plan involved charging everything right away?

I'm just sitting here cringing at you guys applying modern or medieval tactics to what is clearly supposed to be an anglo-saxon/briton setting. This was pretty accurate to tactics, guys, minus the part of Ramsay not sitting in his castle and withstanding a seige.

I don't know why I bother

bondarchuk's Waterloo has like 5 times the amount of battle participants.

>anglo-saxon/briton setting
Oh, I didn't know the bastards had extra chromosomes and hooked teeth.

>All the armchair medieval tacticians in this thread

thank god you're not in control of people

It's as if you don't remember this scene at all

I'll give you $50 for it.

>yeah guys
>so we got those stones
>and we will do this and that
>uh
>wait
>what are we going to do again?
>ah, we need more troops
>so will this work at all or nah?
>anyway, who cares?
>plot armor ftw

Literally.
They had no fucking plan.

>thank god someone that puts actual thought into strategy isn't in control of people

Really, thank God.

You could say that to whoever plans out GoT's battles too.

And fucking GRRM.

Just stop watching the show jesus christ, do yourself a favor. Oh wait you want to watch it for the "memes."

That's right lmao.

Even a retard would be able to see that there were no tactics involved in that whole battle.

hold on second everybody.

is this bane in the picture there?

contrary to the armchair medieval tacticians on the show?

it would have been nice to see something a bit more reasonable

i know ramsay mowed down his own troops because they still haven't finished showing us how bad a guy he is

i know jon had to let family and honour get in the way of doing the smart thing because hes a stark

i know wun wun had to die because hes too op

but shit man, the bastards both did their best to lose this battle
>what is not throwing away your advantage
>what is not charging head on into anything
>what the fuck is that pike/shield wall thing

Arrows

>Oh wait you want to watch it for the "memes."
And what's wrong with that? The fight scenes are shit and historically inaccurate, the battle scenes are shit and historically inaccurate (although I got a boner when the Vale cavalry came in), and the characters got so deformed from what they've originally been, that it's not worth taking seriously, especially with the "stronk wymyn" theme going on right now.

And the books have better bantz.

>That's right lmao.
Hear, hear, the "Jon Snow had a plan" guy is talking!

You aren't an armchair tactician if you're just writing fantasy battle schlock where the good guys are led by a resurrected warrior chosen by god or whatever that is clearly built around being dramatic.

You're an armchair tactician when you sit around dissecting battle strategy in fantasy battles while using untested logic and theorycraft picked up maybe from cursory reading of historical battles.

Ah, I'm glad you made up a definition by yourself, good to know what user defines as armchair tactician.

0/10 go back to r3ddit

Not him but explain some shit. Literally no one in this thread is doing that.

it was a good battle

sometimes they went a bit too much on the shaky side but overall i think it was good

jon trapped under those people was fucking claustrophobic

>tactics: 4/10
>feel of the thing : 10/10
>violence and gore 10/10
>the way it was shot 10/10

I think it was great, not as good as the one where they fight at the Wall but good nonetheless.

It's clearly a pejorative term, despite what you want to believe. You would call every fantasy and sci-fi writer an "armchair _____" with whatever material they're writing about, but you don't.

It warms my heart to see someone as naive or as autistic as you who thinks arguing semantics works in conversational settings.

I rate that battle meatgrinder/10.
No tactics involved. It's like you'd throw a bunch of chicken into a meatgrinder.
Same shit.

nobodys gonna feed your shitty autistic 0/10 troll just go back to r3ddit

might as well just fucking lotr eagle post with how low level these redditor "discussions" are.

>the pile of bodies stacking 8 feet high

Fucking despised Ramsey but what a hell of a character and battle...

good to know your heart is warmed by being pretentious in a dead thread lol

The Lord of Light is with Jon

>while using untested logic and theorycraft picked up maybe from cursory reading of historical battles

Jesus Christ, motherfucker, you just have to read up on the battle of Grunwald to get the idea that:
>cavalry distracting and flanking opponent = good
>cavalry destroying archery units first = good
>long wooden rods with metal attached to them are good against cavalry
>cavalry against cavalry is a bad idea, unless you have heavy cavalry

This is not untested logic and theorycraft. It's literally written on pages of history books and sealed in centuries-old documents.

>ask for an explanation
>lel r3bbit hahah

So you can't give any you fucking sperg, can you?

>being pretentious
>thinking the people writing paragraphs about stuff they don't know about are retarded
>lol

And you're still responding.

>le why didnt the eagles just lift rickon up and drop him in jonnyboytbhs arms

make a good post for once and maybe someone will actually respond.

fucking entitled redditor.

still trying way too hard

I told you I'm not him.
He said And you said What were the tactics involved lad? Explain and I'll listen

>that jpg

watch this scene again

>it's another "I'm detached and above this" post with a reaction image despite repeated responses

Start throwing around the word "bait" next.

>>What were the tactics involved lad?

lol what a lil guy, rewatch it and actually pay attention this time instead of filling out captchas and crying cause you dont know whats going on.

1/10 for getting me to respond. now go back to r3ddit kiddo

Im not even the guy your arguing with, but really man try watching the episode before weighing in on this stuff.

dont feed the redditors

They never come into play during the fight scene. The entire battle was
>cavalry charge head to head
>Bolton arrow volleys
>then the wildlings and Davos charge
>then the rest of the Boltons
>somehow nobody noticed the schiltrons on their left and right literally surrounding them

It was mediocre. The battle was good but the tactics were fucking retarded

>what were the tactics involved
I explained
>they never come into play
that was the fucking point, Jon acted like a retard

So you agree that the battle was just one ugly idiotic clusterfuck with barely TW series-tier tactics?

I mean I liked it, but both commanders were retarded

>Ramsay not having reinforcements
>not having a small scouting force to see if the Starks don't try to send a couple hundred good men to take winterfell while he's fighting them in the field
>that would have noticed the huge ass cavalry troop coming to destroy him

only a redditor would save this picture

this latest invasion is fucking garbage, I would rather the mexican autist posting about justing

It was feeding into Sansa acting like she knew what she was talking about
>YOU DON'T KNOW HIM
>obviously she's right and Sansa looks smugly

When infact it should have been like
>YOU DON'T KNOW HIM
>everything plays out completely fine because Ramsey shouldn't be a military strategist, and is obviously the one that isn't able to keep his head on straight

>So you agree that the battle was just one ugly idiotic clusterfuck with barely TW series-tier tactics?
No no the battle was fine, the tactics were not. The battle was done correctly because they were trying to show that Snow fucked up. Your arguments were more like the fact that people who produced the show didn't know how to show a battle with tactics at all. Which is stupid, the point was that they had a plan and then Snow fucked it up. If you did any research on the show, you'd know that they did their research.