Do you prefer autechre's earlier, more beat centered era or their later more abstract and experimental era?

do you prefer autechre's earlier, more beat centered era or their later more abstract and experimental era?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=12M8FOdGt4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Ev9i403emXI
youtube.com/watch?v=QLXzSefzVWU
youtube.com/watch?v=tZWDeNG1V5A
youtube.com/watch?v=yW52K3u8sMc
youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1QZJNqaIE
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oKvRJqTTx7q5XD4aaqsNrfygPadTFrskEGmMZOgOEVs/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/832665034308227072
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Personally I prefer their later, more abstract stuff but I often go back to their '90s, more traditionally IDM stuff. Both are good stuff, despite their changes in style over time they remained consistently great which is admirable in a 20+ year career.

so where do I start with them? They've put quite a lot of stuff and from what I've heard the albums are very different in sound.

I'd legit start with Incunabula and go through their discog chronologically, including EPs. Their work is very consistent in quality, but going through it chronologically makes it easier to get a handle on how their style changes over time and makes it click more easily, in my experience.

So far, the mid-90's input.

elseq to be totally honest. It's their masterwork

I love elseq 1-5 but it has a couple of moments where the tracks just drag on too much for their own good IMO. Still probably my favorite release of theirs in 10 years.

90s Ae: its lit
2000s Ae: wew Confield but over all ehhhh
2010s Ae: *chef finger-kiss* muah now thats the stuff

lp5 tho

actually not one of my favourites tb h. much prefer ep7.

my favourite Autechre tracks are from their whole career

>Bike
>Goz Quarter
>Pen Expers
>Feed1

I like them both

>2000s Ae: wew Confield but over all ehhhh
Quaristice wasn't very strong, but Draft and Untilted tho....

but Quaristice is one of my favourite Autechre albums

I'll probably be the opposite of Sup Forums and say their earlier stuff. I like their more abstract stuff, but it gets old trying to justify it to others who claim it's "just noise".

Plus Amber is probably my favorite from them, and that came out during their less experimental phase.

It has a couple of sick bangers but also a bunch of stuff I don't feel very strongly about 2bh

listen again maybe

I guess, I don't hate it but it doesn't stand up to their other '00s stuff for me.

i mean, i def still like that era, but for my tastes its def their weakest. just little things. draft is alright but is it just me or is the sequencing sorta fucked? like all the tracks are p nice (apart from "theme...") but it doesn't really take off until the second half. dunno.

never liked gantz graf ep as much as other ppl either. quaristice (the album) is, again, "fine" but the two accompanying eps are lush. like those a ton.

untilted is my least fav ae probably. lcc, pro radii, and iera are ace but there's a rigidity there that really puts me off and it has my least fav production of theres - v compressed, super dry, practically no low-end.

t.bh I find the accompanying EPs to Quaristice stronger than than the album itself. Good shit.

Aah man I used to be all over Untiltd. Not so much anymore but I stil like it tons. No love for Sublimit though?

post favourite Autechre tracks

>Pen Expers
>Goz Quarter
>YJY UX
>Dropp
>Krib
>The Plc
>Feed1
>known(1)
>Pro Radii
>Second Scepe
>Clipper

really like the first 7 minutes and the last 3 of sublimit, but everything in between feels a bit superfluous. why i get impatient there but not from r+s's complete aural wank sessions from elseq i'll never completely understand. the universe is truly a mystery.

lol then don't try and justify it to people

The real problem with elseq is that they didn't do anything like pic related to celebrate it. Also the part where elseq 2 & 3 exist.

>known(1)
uuuuh ye

elseq 3 is the best part tho wtf man

Exai is the pinnacle of Autechre.
Prove me wrong.

Later more abstracted stuff but it's always nice to throw on amber or even Lego feet

Chronological is the best way. They have such an incredible progression. One of my favorite discographies of any artist.

Ae_live is better. The best, actually.

Some of the sounds in runrepik, which are also in spaces how V, also showed up during the Oversteps tour. I wonder how much of Exai came from there.

I want them to come back to the U.S. so badly

Some of their best chunes right there m8

The only eh track on elseq 2-3 is chimer 1-5-1. The rest is top notch.

Interestingly I thought the 20+ minuite tracks were kinda eh too but it's like the longer you listen to them the more sense they make. elyc6 0nset falls beatifully apart, eastre is lush as fuck drone and mesh cinereaL evolves into some lovely chord progressions

i need the new soundboards and more new music and also another ask autechre anything k thanks

Guess what turns 20 tomorrow, lads?

Also if it ain't in your top 5 Autechre albums then what is wrong with you

calbruc

>The only eh track on elseq 2-3 is chimer 1-5-1
agree. what the hell is up with that track? i don't get the appeal at all.

draft 7.30 best album

I don't understand how anyone could have this opinion

pleb

I mean it's good but like a quarter of the tracks are rather unremarkable by their standards imo

I'd genuinely love to hear your case for it

You guys would love Coil if you don't already. Known(1) is like Sean and Robs love letter to them.

Can't into drone?

that's okay, It's my fave anyway.

2bhg I think a lot of Ae fans are at the very least familiar w/ Coil. Shame that the collab never went anywhere, funny that it was because they basically had too much respect for each other's material and felt that they couldn't add anything to it that would improve it.

I lost all respect for them after they scammed their fans.

I appreciate their new work more (Oversteps is my favorite album of theirs), but find myself listening to their early stuff way, way more. Garbagemx is probably my favorite single Autechre track.

Ae/Viper collab when

what?
if they did more collabs I could honestly see it assuming Viper could get his shit together long enough to work with them these days.

how in the actual fuck is quaristice, their most pleb and adhd riddled release, "weirder" than confield

Realistically speaking, I could see them collabing with Danny Brown since they're now on the same label. I could imagine it sounding something like this, but even better:
youtube.com/watch?v=12M8FOdGt4Y

They sorta collabed with Sensational which is close enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ev9i403emXI

I'm a fan and I wasn't scammed.
Just don't be a fucking idiot and stop buying music like a retard. Just download it, faggot.win/win

draft 7.30 had some good tracks like v-proc, surripere, and, uh....

well shit

>what?
Charging fans $55 for basically useless 24-bit wav digital files is opportunistic and indefensible.

I did torrent it. It's still a scumbag move. It could be Warp/Bleep's doing but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd really like to ask them for their reasoning.

top 5 in order

confield > elseq > oversteps > tri repetae > lp5

I usually get yelled at when I say that I don't like chiastic slide but in all honestly it, to me, is their most forgettable. it's not bad by any means but I can't recall a single track

the label scammed you, not autechre

Xylin Room
IV VV IV VV VIII
6IE.CR
Reniform Puls

>Charging fans $55 for basically useless 24-bit wav digital files
aka
>i don't have the gear to listen to 24-bit wav properly wah wah wah

I bet you downloaded a transcode willingly just so you could report the guy who uploaded it

I will give you reniform puls
but nah it's not their best
I actually prefer untilted above draft 7.30
however I WILL say that the stretch from confield to untilted is the best in their discography

I agree, tri rep has similar sound design but it's more melodically interesting so chiastic seems lacking in comparison. Recury tho

Exai>Amber>Tri Rep>Elseq>Confield

the pricing is almost certainly warp's design. autechre are one of their more popular acts but they don't have THAT much social capital, c'mon.

i honestly just want them to break with warp - i got bad vibes reading that ra interview. like the whole point of the ae_store was to release music right away but warp made them do promotion anyway. they're way too bureaucratic and corporatist for what ae want to do.

Untilted sounds so dated tho. Some of the shit on Draft - particularly the trappy sounding stuff - sounds so relevant today while Untilted sounds like 2005/second-wave idm.

The live shows from that era were much better than the album itself.

I don't usually try, but I've been in a situation where I've had to twice.

in order roughly: Nuane, Overand, artov chain, eastre, Laughing Quarter, Outpt, known(1), Windwind, Dial, Garbagemx36, Tapr, Gnit, Nil

Alright, so I'm completely new to Autechre. I really like weird/complex rhythms and mostly listen to hip hop. What album would suit me best?

Chiastic Slide and Draft 7.30 are their most hip-hopish releases

+ EP7, Envane, and Exai

>bladelores
>Rae
>Leterel
>IO
>Lentic Catachresis
>Yuop
>recks on

What does everyone love about Oversteps? It's probably my least favorite of theirs but I hear people talk a lot about how it's actually a masterpiece

>Drane
>LCC
>Uviol
>Reniform Puls
>Fleure
>pendulu hv moda

Don't do what I did and start with Elseq1-5, it's gonna be way too much

thanks lads

all about dat counterpoint

nice quad quads

youtube.com/watch?v=QLXzSefzVWU

>artov chain
This track is underrated af

youtube.com/watch?v=tZWDeNG1V5A

:'(

Cichli

irlite (get 0)
Drane2
Laughing Quarter
os veix3
Krib
Garbagemx36
Sublimit

i always thought the same but now its probably my favourite ae album

It's a really challenging album to listen to, and that makes it fun. You basically have to act like a detective in order to figure out what direction a song is going entirely by yourself. qplay is a great example of this. It only comes together at the last 30 seconds.
youtube.com/watch?v=yW52K3u8sMc

it's aged pretty well imo

Anything other than Exai, Draft 7.30 or elseq is wrong.

Confield

I like it a lot because even though it's more melodic than their other post-EP7 output, it's also pretty interesting because it's as if they applied their ideas for rhythmic fuckery to melody and synthesis. As a result you get these really cool bizarre chord progressions and fucked up jittery counterpoint, I think it's a really cool take on what ae usually does.

krib is the qtest track

Post underrated tracks.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1QZJNqaIE

Was the album cover on Exai a real code? I tried scanning it and nothing happend

Not a code, it just says "Exai"

it's a mankey

>Want them to break Warp
This. Honestly would love to see them hope onto Lee Gamble's new label.

Exai was released 2013-03-04
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oKvRJqTTx7q5XD4aaqsNrfygPadTFrskEGmMZOgOEVs/edit#gid=0

It also says Exai if you look at it right. And it's also a koala.

Sean is a better husbando than Rob and this is not up for debate

what was the deleted tweet?
twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/832665034308227072

who cares abt fantano he prob just hated it

why doesn't he choose better sounds

who?

autechere

he's deaf

he's gay

>It also says Exai if you look at it right
How do you look at it?

Also that spreadsheet is fucking ridiculous. Dudes have some kind of sense of humor.

computers don't have ears