OK Sup Forums, when did WWII start?

OK Sup Forums, when did WWII start?
We have some pretty consistent end dates, but the beginning of the war is more open to interpretation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Polo_Bridge_Incident
warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/toilet-break-led-war-china-japan-1937.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

started 1912

wrong board, you'll get better answers there

thank dood

Indeed, there seems to be no good answer to that question. But is this really important ?

I just want some debate on it. It would be interesting to hear some other ideas on the issue.

>TFW don't see your thread there

>OK Sup Forums, when did WWII start?

#why do i smell moshe behind this post?

September 1, 1939.

1939, Nazi's poland invasion

I haven't been on /his/ long enough to start a new thread, apparently.

wrong
It started on the 3rd of September when Britain and France declared war on Germany

Invasion of Poland seems to be the common date. But the Japanese Invasion of Manchuria is another date that would make sense.

Well, here in Europe we say it started in 1939 with the invasion of Poland.
But the war became really worldwide with the attack of pearl harbor in 1941.
And moreover conflicts in Asia began in 1937 with the invasion of China (not to mention the first conflict over mandchouria)
So it's hard to find a compromise,

First direct declaration of war between the allies and axis. Makes sense.

>OK Sup Forums, when did WWII start?

7 july 1937

As far as I know the invasion of Poland (September 1939) is held to be the common date because it's the first time since WW1 a great power declared war on another great power- Britain declared war on Germany, France followed suit.

For those who say it started with the Japanese invasion of China, how broad do you categorize WW2 then? Is the Italian military intervention in Spain counted part of WW2? The Italian invasion of Albania and pacification of Ethiopia? The Soviet-Japanese Border War?

September 19th, 1931 with the invasion of Manchuria. Fighting in the area between the Chinese and Japanese lasted until the end of the war in 1945.

I've heard arguments for when Hitler came to power.

japan considers ww2 pacific theatre to be part of daitoa senso (大東亜戦争, great east asia war), which started in 1937, though this term was banned by GHQ because it downgrades america's relevancy.

I think this is what makes more sense. However don't you think the conflict between japan and china is politically different from the conflict between the axis et the rest of the world ?

Wasn't there a truth until the marco polo bridge incident ?

truce*

this
not to say that Nazi Gemany wasn't an incredibly reckless agressor, but they didn't really "start" the war.

>it downgrades america's relevancy
Lel I don't care. Call it what ever you like.

This is by far the most tame thread I've ever seen on Sup Forums

Should've started in 1938. Fucking frogs and bongs.

Poor Czechoslovakia.

This is true, but the Japanese already had control of most of Manchuria.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Polo_Bridge_Incident

Holy shit the Chinese losses. (all but four killed)

>However don't you think the conflict between japan and china is politically different from the conflict between the axis et the rest of the world ?

I do, but Sino-Japanese war of 1937 is still a part of WW2, regardless of it's political tone.

When big strong America joined the "war"
Imblying it's even a war until big strong America is in it lel

1919 -Treaty of Versailles

If the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War was the beginning of WWII, then WWII started because a Japanese soldier needing to take a piss.
warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/toilet-break-led-war-china-japan-1937.html

When the first human was born.

Taking a piss is serious business user.
Anyway Japanese military wanted the war ; this was just a pretext. In 1931 the mukden train incident was a false flag attack