What's Sup Forums brewing?

What's Sup Forums brewing?

Resent

I'm interested in this. What should I buy to get started?

plums and honey

I used to make grape wine when I was a broke highschooler. I actually pullled some copper tube for distil project tonight its weird you made a thread about it. Thinkin about bourb or white L mash.

What are you brewing? Mead?

Depends on what you want to brew. I'm currently brewing 3 batches of mead which is stupid easy to make, but you can do wine or beer at home pretty easy. Most brewing will require at the very least a carboy (the glass jar) and an airlock.

I like jenkem too

Jenkem for my enemies

How long have you had that mead sitting around? j/w.

Plums n honey does sound good.

Yup, started with just a straight mead, then tasted it and decided it really needed fruit, so I added strawberries, blueberries and pomegranate.

I don't enjoy mead, I've always found it too sweet. I'd prefer to brew beer.

For a second there

Started Sept 19th, added fruit Oct 24the and I'll probably bottle here in a week or two. This is a short mead so I should have a final product in 4-6 weeks.

huh, ive never really thought about this, does it actually taste decent? how long does it take to brew?

Are there any advantages to short storage to long term storage making the quality better?

It looks sweet. literally.

Everyone has their tastes. You can make a bitter mead by just adding less honey, but if you want to go the beer route, that's fine too. The big thing is yeast. Different yeast will have different alcohol tolerances and conditions to grow. This will also effect brew time. For beer you need hops and malt (which acts as the sugar for the yeast if I'm not mistaken, not 100% because I've never actually done beer). You will also need to boil your water and malt (which isnt necessary with mead). The big thing is use organic and local shit.

I tasted it before the fruit, and it tasted like orange peel (not oranges) and was really bitter. Think of mead as wine, if it is stored correctly, and aged, it will get better. A big thing is clarity. If you rack it (transfer out of dead shit in carboys) it will start to clear up to the point where you should be able to read a book through the carboy. Other than that, taste may improve with age, but I wanted to try this short mead out and Im not disappointed, just need to add more honey next time.

depends on what you make. I brewing mead, which can take a month to 3 years depending on what you want out of it. things like yeast and how much sugar the yeast can feed on determines your % alcohol and how quick it will be done.

Yeah my graoe wines I used to make I was all about the clarity.

Honey sounds delicious. Im trying to come up with a mash for liq. Id like to work around the dark rum area

What yeast did you end up using for the mean project?

Im not super sure about distilling yet. Every few months, people ask about distilled mead and everyone flips shit over wasting it so I dont know if I will ever venture into it.

Wyest 1388, its meant for belgian strong ale, but it was recommended for the recipe I was using.