>"I should watch Phantom Menace again, I might like it better this time"
>watch it
>just as dogshit as I remember
>time passes
>"I should watch Phantom Menace again, I might like it better this time"
>watch it
>just as dogshit as I remember
>time passes

This is an endless cycle that won't stop.

It could be worse, you could be one of those faggots who pretends to love the prequels and hates TFA just so they can pretend they're more substantial people by going against popular opinion.

Very true.

I prefer the prequels to TFA.

Prequels had amazing world building, TFA was a boring action romp.

I agree

Qui gon jin is a real ass dude tho

I've only been through that cycle once, but it's all true. Every word of it.

Before TFA was released last year, I decided to watch them all again. I was hoping the prequels weren't as bad as I remembered.

Unfortunately, they were much, much worse.

To some extent I agree - the prequels had unique, interesting worlds, and at the very least tried to do something different than just rehash the first movie all over again.

But The Force Awakens definitely beat the prequels in terms of characters, dialogue, and acting.

too bad star wars isn't a fucking documentary, so world building doesn't mean shit when your core story and characters are all garbage.

and most of the "world-building" the prequels contributed to the series was for the worse

>Prequels had amazing world building

What did he mean by this?

>But The Force Awakens definitely beat the prequels in terms of characters, dialogue, and acting.

Eh. Even though neither were really at the top of their game, I'd take Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor over Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

dude taxation of trade routes and senate hearings the jedi were a bunch of sex starved monks dude so deep it expanded the universe man

Pod racing was new and pretty fun. Also, getting to see the core worlds for once instead of the busted down fringe planets from the OT. Midi-chlorians were an obvious misstep, but they were still trying something new.

>The Phantom Menace
Mediocre movie that has some strengths in world building, Jar Jar kills any chance of it being higher than 5/10
>Attack of the Clones
Absolutely the worst Star Wars. Now we get a "film" that looks like it was shot on 30framespersecond video, with in your face horrid cgi that was obviously used on 85% of the sets being greenscreen. Atrocious writing, atrocious acting, despite great music and Ewan Mcgregor. It's like Mozart or a beautiful orchestra playing while someone takes a shit. 2/10 at best
>Revenge of the Sith
Or is it Revenge of the Shit? The best prequel, however it's flawed with bad moments of dialogue, cheesiness at times, and the cgi. This is the darkest film arguably, and finally something in the story happens. Ewan Mcgregor once again saves the day - 7/10
>A New Hope
Holy flying fuck this movie is amazing, where did it come from? Original at the time and changed movies forever, 8.5/10
>Empire Strikes Back
God exists, and this movie proves it. Considered one of the best films of all time. With strong beautiful setpieces, an awesome soundtrack, deep dark plot with a wide host of colorful characters, George hates this movie because he had the least participation in it, in other words, amazing - 9/10
>Return of the Jedi
Great scifi film with flaws thanks to the Ewoks and George's interference. Fun and more laidback than the previous two films of the OT - 8/10
>The Force Awakens
Or is it The Farce Awakens? Disney clearly has their mark all over this. The film is designed like a product. It is toned down by Star Wars standards, meant to appeal obviously to an even younger audience. SJW shit is rife throughout, and the story is a bit of a rehash of ANH, still, solid acting except from the Mary Sue lead, good action, despite being Marvel-esque, and at least somewhat of an attempt to a return to form of the OT - 7.5/10 fun, competent but forgettable

The prequels were an extension of the Star Wars saga by the man who originally created it. The Force Awakens is a soulless cash-grab of a film made by a Jew.
No matter how you feel about any of the films, this is the truth.

Agreed, though I feel TFA is more of a 6.5/10.

>muh jews
>muh george lucas was the sole creator of Star Wars!!!!

If you think George is the sole creative mind behind Star Wars you know absolutely nothing about the creation of the saga. George's original script was a fucking mess and the things you actually like about Star Wars were created by Gary Kurtz, Lawrence Kasdan, Gloria Katz, Wilard Hyuck, Marcia Lucas, Richard Chew, etc. Seriously, inform yourself, nigger.

People decided years ago that they were going to hate TFA on principle because muh evul corporate jews. These same idiots are the ones who believed George's lies that he was some kind of auteur fighting against the evil hollywood system and he was doing this for art, not money, even though a ton of George's creative decisions (ewoks, Jar Jar, sparing Han Solo in RotJ) were motivated by appealing to focus groups and selling toys.

>But The Force Awakens definitely beat the prequels in terms of characters, dialogue, and acting.
For any other film I would care, but for Star Wars, I couldn't give a shit.

The prequels offered shitty romance, shitty politics, shitty characters but I'd rather have all of those than whatever TFA offered.

TFA was a soulless corporate cashgrab banking on nostalgia.

I agree with your statements but I'd knock TPM and RotS down a point.

TFA felt too focus grouped for me

>TFA was a soulless corporate cashgrab banking on nostalgia.

Let's just ignore all the blatant nostalgia pandering in the prequels that didn't even make sense within its own context, and TFA was "soulless" and the prequels weren't, even though the prequels turned the Force, a mystical, otherworldly force that binds all life together and allows people to do great things if they believe...into a blood type, that if you don't have enough cells you're never going to do anything. THAT is soulless.

and again, you just decided years ago that you hated disney so you were going to hate TFA, don't pretend otherwise.

>TFA fans will legitimately defend this.

Your precious new trilogy is about to turn the force into a fucking tree, so fuck off.

>People decided years ago that they were going to hate TFA on principle because muh evul corporate jews

Nah, people decided after the movie came out that they'd hate it because it was a poorly disguised retread of a New Hope. The prequels were pretty awful, but to their credit they tried to be something new. The biggest trap the franchise had was just making the same thing over and over, and so they dared to break new ground.

TFA sucks because they took the coward's way out. And ultimately, it wasn't even a remake that was better than the original.

This happens to me with a lot of things.

I saw in 1999 when it came out in theatres. I was 12. I liked it.

Is it actually a good movie? I don't know all I can say it was good enough for me when I was 12.

>TFA sucks because they took the coward's way out. And ultimately, it wasn't even a remake that was better than the original.

Remakes are never better than the original, but this is still true.

>The prequels were pretty awful, but to their credit they tried to be something new. The biggest trap the franchise had was just making the same thing over and over, and so they dared to break new ground.

>C3PO shoved in for no reason
>R2D2 back for no reason
>dude Jango Fett is also a bounty hunter lmao
>Clones are a ripoff of storm troopers
>dude Baby Boba Fett lmao
>Republic ships are a ripoff of Imperial Star destroyers
>Naboo is earth
>Death Star plans in Attack of the Clones
>All Jedi wear Tatooine farmer robes
>Corisant is a ripoff of the city from Blade Runner
>dude Genonisis is Tatooine with rocks lmao
>dude Kamino is just Cloud City with water instead of clouds lmao
>dared to break new ground

The prequels swang for the fences and missed every time, TFA bunted and made it to first base but people treat it like a home run because the last batter never even had a hit.

>Clones are a ripoff of storm troopers
Because they eventually become storm troopers.
>Republic ships are a ripoff of Imperial Star destroyers
Because they eventually become Imperial Star destroyers.
>dude Genonisis is Tatooine with rocks lmao
Jakku is literally fucking Tatooine.

Try harder next time, friendo.

>Because they eventually become storm troopers.

Only some of them. Most stormtroopers are recruits.

>lists off the worst parts of the prequels which is where they tried to be too close to the originals
>doesn't realize that this only strengthens the argument that TFA was absolute shit because it's a damn near shot for shot remake

It's a phrase used by people who play video games to talk about movies. They mean to talk about the development of a setting. A good example of this done well would be the sequence of the entertainers at the tavern in the Seventh Seal. A bad example would be the random CGI garbage that Lucas threw on the screen in TPM.

Phantom Menace is actually the best of the prequels, people just don't know what to think and go along with Plinkett's narrative.

4>5>6>1>7>3>2

Even though the Phantom Menace is irredeemably awful, I did really like what they did with Tatooine. By showing more of the planet like the towns, street merchants, and of course, podracing, it felt much more like a real, lived-in world than it did originally. It almost became a place I'd like to live if it wasn't so dry and hot.

I like the prequels more, and I'm not memeing. I guess the fact that I grew up with them helps.

>because they become storm troopers
Dumbest fucking idea ever made by Lucas.
>hey you know all the tension that could be had by seeing the republic deal with the burden of sending its sons off to war? Let's get rid of that by making everyone a fucking clone with no personality
>oh yeah and everyone just goes to the opera and nothing affects anyone in the war because it's pretty much pointless to everyone in the story

Isn't the joke that your cycle is about you remaining as stupid as you were, rather than TPM being 'proven' to be bad?

Personally, I enjoyed Attack of the Clones and Return of the Sith. However, Phantom Menace is unwatchable. It's actually worse than TFA somehow.

At least Lucas is an actual director. J.J. Abrams sold his soul to the Jew after Super 8.

Would you mind explaining what you like so much about Phantom Menace?

episode one is the only decent star wars. fuck the old cheesy grandpa movies and episode 2 and 3 were pretty shit. i love star wars though

>Watching Game of Thrones last night
>men getting mowed down by the thousand
>jesus christ this is fucking awful, all of these people probably had wives and kids
>battle is tension-filled and leaves you on the edge of your seat

>Star Wars prequels
>CGI clone troopers who get blown up
>don't care because they're just computer generated troops and aren't even real people in-universe
>battles are boring as fuck

>nobody hated phantom menace until plinkett

kek why do people keep telling themselves that?

Revenge of the Sith was the best prequel by far and it still wasn't very good. Ep 1 has a decent movie trapped under all the shitty child acting and bad CGI characters

Not that user, but it gets annoying when I see people quote the Plinkett videos verbatim and act like they are the end-all-be-all critique of the prequels. I've actually seen people legitimately tell other people watching Star Wars for the first time to skip the prequels and watch the Plinkett videos instead.

As a film student I can confirm that my professors use the term "world-building" but never the phrase "the development of a setting". Stop being pretentious.

Most people think Attack of the Clones was garbage when it came out.

Yet when the modern reviewer goes back and watches it, they notice that it's hands down one of the greatest love stories in the history of science fiction/fantasy.

Hayden Christensen's Anakin has a certain charm to him. Yes he's slightly whiney and rather autistic at times, but that's what makes Anakin endearing. You realise that he is a stunted child, with strong emotional attachment issues as a result of being dragged away from his Mother early. The child was a dreamer on Tatooine, a fantasist if you will, and thus he remains through his years at the Jedi Academy. Padme remains the object of desire for him, fuelling him onto greatness . At the start of AOTC, we finally see him re-establish his relationship with her after all that time, and his fondness for her as a love interest is not reciprocated. We then see Anakin essentially battling on to try and be taken seriously by Padme, in the same way he has spent his life trying to be taken seriously by the Academy, by Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council, who all seem to constantly criticise him rather than take into serious consideration his ability and potential as an extremely gifted Padawan.

This clearly lays the foundation for Vader. He is constantly being held back by his lessers, and he finds that when he gives into his urges he is able to take what he wants, as opposed to having to be patient. In this context, his romantic scenes with Padme are for more effective. You're watching a man slowly transform into darthg Vader, consumed by lust, desire, and a justifiable need to rage against the establishment.

Add in all the wonderful lightsaber battles, the John Williams score etc and you have the making of a classic that will be remembered fondly in years to come. The new trilogy has absolutely none of this charm.

It's time people (especially SW fans) start to seriously re-evaluate Lucas' prequels.

>But at least the prequels did something new! At least they were ambitious and not just a remake of the OT! They may have been self-evidently total fucking garbage but at least they tried something new!
To be completely honest, only a total pleb would think anything in the prequels is that ambitious or original. I mean, you know there are other films out there than Star Wars, right? If you want to see something really interesting or avant-garde then you can scratch that itch with actual kino instead of a fucking kids' movie. It would be one thing if the prequels actually succeeded remotely in transcending their origins but I don't see how it's praiseworthy for a series to start playing with pleb-tier "deep" ideas if it just causes it to fall on its face. I'll take a competent, 21st century remake of Star Wars over a completely incompetent attempt to turn Star Wars into something it's not any day.

Everyone thought it was a good movie until release because MUH STAR WARS then a couple months later they all realized how terrible it was. I enjoyed the promotion behind it I guess but there are some things about it which aren't bad.

They were the original Storm Troopers. How long in between the prequels and the originals? That's suggesting that some of them are like 50 year old Troopers.

Let me correct you there OP.

>think phantom menace is dogshit
>time passes
>watch TFA
>"I should watch Phantom Menace, then I might appreciate how much better TFA is"
>watch it
>it's not so bad
>there's memorable characters, places, tech and stuff
>remember all the glorious video games it spawned
>remember my lego sith interceptor that is 50 times better than all the lego TFA crap that's out
>get that feeling of Star Wars
>start playing battlefront 2 as Republic Commando is downloading and I'm trying to find HD versions of the clone wars miniseries

There, ftfy

>naboo
>droidekas
>robots being used in armies
>coruscant
>the jedi temple
>the sith interceptor
>darth maul and his race
>actual sith
>the jedi council
>variety of races that aren't completely ridiculous (say what you will about gungans but the OT had literal squid-heads, rats on 2 legs and a dude with a melted candle for a face)
>pod-racing
>Tattooine

I can name at least 10 other things.

But first I want you to name ONE planet from TFA.

Go on, you faggot, try it. We both know you're going to open wikipedia.

Refute a single point I have made.

Pro tip: You cannot.

Go back to:

Star Trek: The Force Awakens in a girl for no explainable reason.

Can people explain how I can watch Phantom Menace more than once yet when it comes to The Force Awakens I found it a chore to get through and never want to view it again?

>But first I want you to name ONE planet from TFA.

Jakku.

You have shit taste and are probably mentally deficient. Sorry pal.

You're an idiot.

Oh yeh, Jakku is pretty easy.

But aside from Jakku no one but some shill or a faggot who adored TFA can name any planets.

Or anything that enriched the Star Wars universe in any way.

>But first I want you to name ONE planet from TFA.

Inb4 moving the goalposts with "except Jakku"

Clone Wars cartoon > TFA

Did anyone else really enjoy TFA until Kanjiklub? The entire movie took a nosedive at that point and never really recovered.

The only redeemable thing about the second and third acts is the lightsaber effects, I guess. Funny how Finn turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of this film.

I can name 3 planets from TPM immediately.

You can't.

For me it had a very Star Wars classic feel until they get on board the falcon, that's really what killed it for me. Finn's character was fine, Poe was great and Rey was decent until the running sequence with her and Finn then she became overly annoying and an expert in everything.

>tested stage actor who has played a lead before
>his character is the only one who had something like an arc
>surprising he turned out to be good at acting

my mind was blown

What does that prove besides the fact that you're a pathetic autist who knows too much movie trivia?

EPISODE 3 IS LITERALLY THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE OF ALL TIME

OLDFAGS/NEWSFAG THINKING THEY ARE COOL BY LIKING THE OLDER MOVIES ARE BLINDED BY THEIR LACK OF UNDERSTANDING FILM MAKING AND MAKE THESE DECISION BASED ON EMOTIONS, MUCH LIKE THE FALL OF ANAKIN AS SEEN IN EP3

BASICALLY IF YOU DON'T THINK EP3 IS THE BEST IN THE SERIES YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT STAR WARS AND DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT FILMMAKING

Yeah, the rathtars/Kanjiklub scene was pointless and had no reason to be there. To me, the worst thing in the entire movie was Starkiller Base with extremely thinly veiled Nazi parallels blowing up five planets that we had never heard of before which then gets brushed under the rug. It felt like an incredibly cheap way to do the Death Star but bigger.

>as a film student

I look forward to having you flip my burgers one day

Why did TFA introduce new planets, but never refer to them by name except jakku?

>rathtars/Kanjiklub scene was pointless and had no reason to be there

It was classic JJ Abrams pure fucking hackery

I enjoy all 7 movies

>God tier
ANH
ESB
>Great tier
ROTS
ROTJ
>Okay tier
TFA
>Bad tier
TPM
AOTC

Tatooine 2.0
Endor 2.0
Coruscant 2.0
Death Star/Hoth hybrid

And Ahch-To

plinket reviews are god tier though
here's some advice for anyone that wants real perspective on the prequels though: go watch reaction videos from 1999 after the nerds finally saw it. They were not happy.

everything that was developed seperate from lucas was better. If you charted his involvement against quality it would be an exponential decrease

I think they're all garbage.

Anything but pre-1997 original trilogy is shit-tier.

This game is going to be better than both TFA and nu-battlefront.

ok like this one guy saidSorry dude but throwing random shit together is not world building

>naboo
So what is their motivation, they are peaceful people, but why? They didn't even explain why they have such a jung leader.

>droidekas
random cgi robots used for selling toys

>robots being used in armies
wow, this is world building now? Again toys, also to make sure the movies will stay kiddie friendly. God forbid we would have got an an actual war between armies that mattered.

>coruscant
nothing is established about the people of the city. How do they live, what is their motivation? Is there any conflict at all? All i saw was random ships flying in lines all day

>the jedi temple
nice backstory we got on this one. I remember cgi backgrounds and a room where people in seats where talking

>the sith interceptor
is this a ship? Again nice "world-building"

>darth maul and his race
LMAO. What race? There is nothing about them in the prequels. The only thing i got was a scary looking dude with a facepaint. That didn't even had what 2 lines?

>actual sith
So. I don't really care how they call the evil dudes in this movies

>the jedi council
and managed to not do one of them remotely interesting

>variety of races that aren't completely ridiculous
yes for exaple the 4 aremed dude. Or the two headed announcer at the podrace. Again not world building you don't get any information or background on those. It is funny that the Gungans and the long neck people that build the clone army are the ones with the most background we got

>pod-racing
yes that one was kinda neat, to bad a little stupid kid can win those with space magic

>Tattooine
Yes, that one is right. Give you that

>millenials
>grow up with clone wars cartoons and shit
>say "prequels had some redeemable qualities and it's a meme to hate them" "it's an interesting era" "cool designs"
plz go away

Could you stop reddit formatting please

shut the fuck up about starwars

Don't forget to preorder at Gamestop™ for your exclusive character dlc!

> I hate star wars so much
> Time to click on a thread about Star Wars and post a comment

> Be Liam Neeson
> Appear in literally the only good Holocaust movie ever as the literal title hero
> Appear as the "protagonist" of the first Star Wars prequel, literally the most anticipated film of all time
> 10 years pass
> Career peaks thanks to fuckin Taken

>meme opinions
>everyone look at me
>am i cool yet

Think for yourself. Stop trying to impress anonymous faggots who unironically use the word "kino"

That's some brave positions right there, senpai. You sure are cocky posting the opinion that episode 4 and 5 are the best, and the prequels don't quite match up.

Scarface was better than Scarface

Doesn't Plinkett's next two reviews start with him saying the only thing he hated more than TPM were the next two prequels?

> As a film student
> Stop being pretentious

I hate sand

Cool thanks guys =D

How's that Restaurant busser job going? Still writing that script in Starbucks?

> Instantly moves the posts

The best part was that no one in the theater realized they blew up coruscant

Also the "science" behind the new super weapon is 100% fan fiction bullshit.

Pretty much exactly right.

Although I really enjoy certain parts of TPM because it really feels like a Star Wars movie.
This feeling was mostly non existent in the later films and not present at all in TFA

ROTS had the most "star warsy" feel of all the prequels.

Never forgive the fact that the stupid ewoks were supposed to be wookies

But Lucas wanted to sell toys

Funny how Wagner's criticism of Jewish art from 150 years ago is still true today.

What an idiot. You know they could've at least put in a mix of Wookies and Ewoks to make everyone sort of happy.

World building isn't about shoving information down your throat. It's about showing that there is a world behind the camera.

TFA is action piece after action piece. It's fucking boring m8.