Let's talk about VR for a moment...

Let's talk about VR for a moment. I've taken quite a bit of marijuana's and want to try having a serious talk Sup Forums.

Sadly, I think none of the people reading this post, including myself writing it, will ever live to see the dawn of real VR, not this samsung gear and occulus bullshit. Honestly, the VR we have now is so rushed. We're not ready for VR and we won't be for a very long time, maybe never. I've had a little experience with some of the stuff we have now and it's basically just like looking at two tv's close up.

Now the nerve gear from SAO on the other hand has got some real thought put into it. It's described as what VR really should be. SAO is a piece of shit show but I still love the concept and Aincrad itself. Like, this shit is explained as a headset that connects to a certain part of your brain that controls your nerves, making any actions you try to do, occur in the game instead of real life. Actually something I never understood about that is how in the anime they talk about how the Nerve gear is some revolutionary piece of technology (which it obviously would be) and the only software to come out for it on release is a video game. Okay. Also, i'd be pumped about that flawless internet connection and infinite battery life just as much. This thing runs for years without bugging out. Do you think we'll ever get to that point in time where we can completely connect ourselves to the internet and really make it another part of our lives? If we got some SAO type game in real life, not gonna lie, it would destroy my life. I would probably just stop going outside altogether.

I like to think about stuff like this too OP.

In the near future there will be tech to connect the internet to our brains directly I'm sure. Our brains are incredibly good at deciphering information input, you can see that at many examples already. For blind people you can hook up a stereoscopic camera to earphones, and with time the brain will decipher audio information to visual info, and the blind guy will be able to see through his eyes.

So if something like this is possible, as soon as we figures out how to connect information streams directly to our neurons, I wouldn't see how you couldn't feel the internet directly, sense the weather forecast or the whatever it is you are interested in.. couple it with advanced A.I. and you'll get hyper intelligent humans that can know nearly anything anytime, thanks to being connected to the internet with their thoughts directly.

That isn't exactly VR, but I think it's the first step in this direction. For a complete immersive SAO type game, you'd have to undergo dramatic surgery probably even in the future, and connect all your nerve endings to the machine, I don't think you could simply plug in and out of it whenever you want to. It would probably be reserved for very few and not necessarily for the purpose of gaming.

But yeah, it would be neat wouldn't it, the ultimate escapist fantasy really..

Why wouldn't it be possible?
Also, how would you connect the nerves to a computer easily, not painfully, and be able to completely restore them?
It would be easier to detect muscle twitching.

We can only detect regions in which there's brain activity. We're decades, if not centuries from deciphering the rapidly changing neurons into something legible.

ITT FAGOTS

Someone hasn't seen Spiderman 2

Well OP you are definantly onto something but as stated by
We are a fair way of ever completing such a feet unless we have some huge break through it is unlikely this will happen and when it does it will be an absolute shit hole as what you stated many people will do the same thing this has been described in a book that i cannot remember a name to but its in a place where this has already happend and when your in that "Universe" Sort of like the matrix if you die there you die in real life. I do think that we will be able to bypass that restriction if we do invent this technology but to bypass that we first need to get there

You invalidated your entire opinion the moment you mentioned anime

VR still has a long way to go before it stops making people motion sick and the prices have to come down, but the 2016 tech is fun to play with if you can afford it (rift, vive, psvr)

I like you am a cyberphile.
The idea of cyber waifus and VR get me rock hard.
Holograms, neural to digital interfaces and advanced self learning AI are just a few things we for some reason think are outside the realm of capabilities.
The problem is not can we do it but who is going to pay for it. Companies, developers and engineers are more worried about whether a technology is marketable than is it a revolutionary technology.
Because of revolutions in popular media like SAO and Chobits we as a society are more and more interested in funding advanced technologies.
Right now Samsung has something called Fairy Lights that are holograms you can interact with. I believe they want to market them to phones in order to get more funding for more advanced holograms.
Real Dolls is now delving into software programming for an artificial companion.
Google made an AI named Tay and has a quantum computer.

We have realized as a society that these things are possible.
Now we have to find a way to make it profitable.

>Do you think we'll ever get to that point in time where we can completely connect to the internet and really make it another part of our lives?

Chill the fuck out, Lain

Actually, i'd be quite satisfied if someone just developed a massive mmo that caters to all ages and doesn't follow the same recycled mechanics as every other open world medieval game. SAO is full of all those unique items and skillsets for players to be able to do whatever they want and grow these completely unique characters. It's not like every other game that has that typical metal tier bullshit like iron, steel, mithril, gold etc. It doesn't even have to be VR. Just give us a good, original mmo that isn't filled with micro transactions and doesn't obviously scream "we care about your money more than your entertainment"

>ever
Can you explain that reference to me?

Also I kind of meant it like, we'll be able to fully connect. It's hard for me to word but mobile phones and computers are pretty much 50% of our lives right now (not literally). So to create something as flawless as the Nervegear would be like creating life. Because look at SAO. It's pretty much a second form of life.

>Chill the fuck out, Lain
I meant that^^^

It's from an anime called Serial Experiments Lain, it's basically about this girl named Lain who gets super interested in "the wired" (Virtual Reality internet on fucking steroids) because some weird shit happened and she starts investigating things and gets super obsessed and then more weird mind fucky shit haopens. Vague summary, but only because I think you'd like it and should check it out, it's a little dry and dark and kinda crpytic as fuck, but that's why i liked it, it fucked with me. I thought it was cool as hell.

I have not watched anime for like 2 years now. Ever since the end of Your Lie in April. But even before that I didn't watch a whole lot. Only a few gems. (Terror in Resonance, Hyouka, Free)

Its a pretty old anime. Just a little older than NGE I think? The old art style fits the mood pretty well.

Does this seem horrifying to anybody else?

What horrifying? Anime? Yes. It's destroyed the lives of many young boys and girls.

>checked

No the thought of ur will being vulnerable to a certain extent

>implying it's not already by social customs

Lol I'm even trying

ITT: Gets

Not even

Only if you let it baka be who you are just except the consequences for your actions

As long as they dont succeed in mapping brain activity and in finding a way to overwrite sensorial stimuli with artificial ones, true VR will never be achievable

Dude, this is VR.. You are living it right now.

Proof?

It wouldn´t be a good experience if you could prove it is fake, would it?

Why would you think we're in vr then faggot

okay well if i were to want to do true vr you're right i wouldnt want to prove it's fake. however!!! i would want a way for me to realize i can do whatever i want and enjoy the vr rather than walking around for 100years wasting my vr time. so how ?

so no one else responding wtf is this proof . it's not proof enough i need something to enjpy thos shitty thing!!!!! or i want out

Did you mean SOA? Because that was actually a real show