Be me, Sociology class

>be me, Sociology class
>professor lectures class about how rape victims have more dramatic PTSD than veterans
>explanation: "rape victims have to face the world they were assaulted every day, and face that fear everyday. Whereas a veteran comes home from the horror that lies overseas, and while he may have PTSD from the war, it's not as severe because unlike the rape victim, he is no longer in that environment.."

Thoughts?

Ridiculous, people overseas see people die. Also that's his opinion and not a fact.

I agree with that, but at the same time; the rape victim may feel she was at threat to die much like a soldier felt like he was going to die, contributing to the PTSD? I agree fully that seeing your friend die or be blown to pieces is much more traumatizing than having someone rape you -- but at the same time, the fact is that the rape victim is facing the environment that he/she was brought to that level that creates PTSD, therefore has more of a dramatic feeling of it?

My teacher said "according to studies", as if it was a fact.. I'm interested into finding out if it is really a fact?

I have a comparison you might find interesting. I've had people argue, whats worse, a drug addiction, or a sex/food addiction. You can argue a heroin addiction is so much stronger then a sex/food addiction. But the problem with a sex/food addiction, is that it's something you can't "abstain" from, you have to constantly monitor and chip away at it. So in the same sense. I think ware is much worse then being raped, but the girls have to be in those enviorments where it could happen or trigger her everyday.

wtf you expect from a fucking sociology teacher??? sage

Wha a compelling argument coming from those who weren't talking with a comrade one second only to watch him die the next before snapping to cover to save your own life.

>to save their own lives
Fuck my grammar.

>be in sociology class
>professor asks two muslim women why their culture kills themselves and think its a good thing.
>kek.jpg
>asks me why im inherently racist.
>fuck you nigger
>sociologists are the most liberal and racist fucks ever

this

My thoughts are why are you studying something so useless?

PTSD has nothing to do with facing the thing that gave you PTSD in the first place.

The thing you have to understand is that 99% of people who talk about PTSD learned everything they know about it from Rambo.

People who suffer from actual PTSD suffer from it's effect constantly, not just when they're "triggered".

I would say rape victims develop a stronger anxiety towards social situations. How as veterans could be happy at home and just snap due to the dramatic experiences they have went through. I've watched documentaries and the things they say they've seen happen to their friends and so on, it's crazy.

The rape victim is still in a world that contains rape, while the war veteran is still in a world that contains war.

Why is a sociology teacher talking about psychology? PTSD is a mental health issue, not a behavior. Sociology is the scientific study of human behavior. It studies what people do, not really why. This teacher is a failure for teaching stuff outside the subject.

not OP, but my sociology professor talks about shit unrelated to sociology frequently. He's also a social justice studies and black world studies professor, so I could see him speaking about mental illness, specifically in a social context.

I don't think you can put down someone else with ptsd and say it's not worse than someone else.
Unless it's fake liberal shit.

i didnt know what i wanted to study. i thought i wanted to be a cop/swat/etc.. so sociology is required for the degree . wasn't until i took a few journalism classes i realized i wanted to be a journalist.

i was really taken aback when he said this.. there's a few army vets in our class, too. i have a long line of army vets in my family, as well. regardless, i feel he makes a compelling argument, or it wasnt really an argument per se.. he said it was a fact according to some research

This, combined with the fact that the rape victim has to continue living in the world in which it happened. The world they thought was safe, but now think isn't safe.

A soldier can leave the battlefield; rape victim has to re-assess their world to feel safe again.

Misunderstands PTSD completely. To a sufferer, there is no refuge, regardless of where they are. It's bullshit that veterans just "come home" and aren't in that environment any more. They bring the environment back with them.
They have flashbacks and episodes so vivid they truly believe they are back in that warzone, and even though they're "back home", they find no peace, which you could argue is even more torturous.

The fundamental effect of PTSD is that it makes your mind and body really believe that you are back in that traumatising environment and situation. Doesn't matter how far you go, your trauma, memories and experiences are still with you.

That's the thing though, PTSD pretty much means the soldier never left the battlefield.

Besides anyone who thinks their world is safe and then gets ptsd over the fact that they found out that's no longer the case is pretty weak minded in the first place.

>Sociology class

And you fucking millenials will be crying about all your student loan debt and wonder why you can't get a job any better than pumping coffee at Starbucks.

For fuck's sake, kid. Change your major from "Blame Whitey" to something that will have some value in a the job market of the modern world.

What research, how would that even be qualified or quantified? I mean from what you've said, his reasoning is because vets "come back home" but rape victims are already home, which shows incredibly limited understanding of PTSD.

Soldiers don't usually develop PTSD until they return home. It's POST Traumatic Stress disorder for crying out loud, clue's in the name. It manifests after their war is over, and it makes their life the battlefield.

Your actually wrong, psychology is the study of human behavior and mind. Sociology is the study of the development, structure, and functioning of human society.

so explain how a sociologist is qualified to talk about PTSD?

>be an undergrad shit for brains
>your professor says something
>"well, I know better than him because hurrr hurr hur"

well i mean PTSD is PTSD, why the fuck is anyone trying to make a metal disorder a competition in the goddamn first place, that's problem number 1. The second thing is that it really matters on how each case happened right? I mean if you got locked in some basement and your stepdad was doing that for a few years, then ya that's some war level shit. But like a soldier has probably seen little kids brains splattered on his boots or personally disemboweled another human for survival, so i would say it most cases it's probably not as severe a situation.

>be retard on Sup Forums
>lmao dude people with an agenda are ALWAYS right cos they studied something for a few years
>dude weed lmao

By that logic, the only place the person who was raped would be upset is around the area they were raped. Unless your Prof. is talking about how she felt safe in the place she was raped, and now she can't feel safe anywhere. In the latter case, your Prof. has a point. However, yet again, people who go to war see some truly horrific shit that the rape victim couldn't even imagine. Fucking hard ass topic to wrap your head around.

in your mind the rape victim is a 'she' and the solider is a 'he'. interesting.

Well I wouldn't exactly say worse but I would say the same because PTSD is the same no matter what triggers it. It sucks ass.

I am a sociology major in addition to my main major in economics. Sociology programs provide training in such research topics as instrument development, data collection, data analysis, and reporting. The skills that are learned through a degree in sociology are very complementary to any business-oriented degree.

but what if someone put a penis inside him without his consent?

that's dumb. that's like saying all cases of cancer are the same. or all physical pain is the same. people can be upset or traumatized at different levels.

>Thoughts?
I think it's a pretty stupid thing to say. I've been around war veterans with PTSD and reminding them they aren't in anymore wouldn't have helped.

They have a serious disconnect with reality, you will find the constantly securing rooms/checking doors/casing exits because they are stuck in "war mode"

Your sociology professor is probably a cunt.

There are different kinds of cancer (breast cancer, testicle cancer) and it has different stages that they can catch it at. That's why cases of cancer are different you dipshit. And physical pain? What a broad thing you fucking bafoon. PTSD is just your mind being fucked and scarred. You feel like shit and relive it and it fucking sucks. Bottom line is all PTSD blows. Don't fucking talk like you know about it if you don't fucking know shit.

I can kinda agree with that. Veterans 100% no what they are signing up for, women don't asked to be raped.

>tfw this thread made me want to listen to Eminem's "Like Toy Soldiers"

Tell him to cite those studies. People say "studies have shown" all the time, but they never know what those studies are, who did the studies, or where those studies were conducted, or what the criteria were. Call him on his bullshit.

Most reported rapes are of female. Most soldiers are men. There's nothing unusual or interesting about making assumptions based on statistics. You sound like a snarky sjw. There's nothing interesting about that either.

I wasn't arguing with your point, I was just clarifying the definition of Psychology and Sociology.

That's retarded. If you're paranoid as fuck after rape, that's understandable. But saying veterans are done facing that trauma once they're home is idiotic, unless everyone who got fucked up by Vietnam (read: most of the soldiers there) was just faking the stress, paranoia, drug addiction, and extreme psychological illness following their service. Anything in society could trigger a veteran's PTSD, be it a car backfiring to a simple reminder of a room he was in during urban combat, or a person looking like somebody who he either fought alongside or against, and if you don't let your professor know he's full of shit, you're a spineless pussy not worth the words I'm giving to you.

that's laughable

didn't they find that a lot of studies done in the social sciences weren't reproducible?