I was renting an apartment on a monthly basis without a signed lease...

I was renting an apartment on a monthly basis without a signed lease, I left it this month and asked for my security deposit back but now the landlord is saying I have to find someone else or she's keeping the security deposit which was 200 dollars... Am I entitled to getting my deposit back? I left the apartment in perfect condition and even cleaned it properly and had always paid on time. What should I do?

Tldr: shitty landlord is holding my security deposit ransom.

You aren't entitled to shit, you didn't sign a lease agreement. Dummy.

Rule number 1 kiddo - you never get security deposits back.

I have the receipt of the security deposit still though, is that not worth anything?

Even if you find somebody, she can still keep your money. You basically gave a stranger 200 for no reason. Good job retard. Glhf gg. Next time, create a legal agreement.

You have no lease, it is worth nothing

Where u live? There are rules against landlords withholding a deposit where i live. Is there a tenants union or regulator you could speak to?

Shit man, I'm.just going to go smash the apartment then

Possible, does it state the conditions of your agreement? If not its only your word against hers. GLhf.

You had no agreement. You ain't getting shit back dumbfuck.

I have gotten every one I have had back

I'm in Montreal and there is a union or whatever for renters and landlords

try calling Warren G. he's in charge of the regulatory committee.

Well ask them for advice rather than retards on an Micronesian Papermache image board

$200 security deposit? that's not even worth the aggravation. just take a piss in the closet or someone. deflate one of her tires.

Well don't vandalise sombody else property. That's not going to get you anywhere. You can leave a steamy dump and rotten food. Maybe a few dints in some walls. Nothing that looks of "intended destruction" ya'll mean?

This is why you sign a lease user.

Before you leave, set up a mold colony in a closet. Now leave.
Have fun, knowing that it'll cost way more than $200 to fix that nonsense.

This

It's a bigger fuck up for the landlord to not have you sign a lease. You could even stay there and stop paying rent. They would have to legally evict you. Even without a lease. If it's obvious that you have been living there then police can't throw you out. Just live rent free for 2 months. She has to give 30 days notice and then the process to evict is another 30. Or. just break 500 worth of stuff. Doubt they would want to even go to small claims court for that.

What? Does your jurisdiction have like a rental act or something where all this is set out. You probably have some rights stemming from this act but if you signed something that can be waived I'm guessing. If you didn't sign shit and the laws wherever you live say you should get your deposit back then you get your deposit back

OP do this, it's really cheap to do. Maybe black mold so the entire place is fucked.

This, it's not even enough to worry about over small claims court. Learn from your mistakes. Don't find someone to move in, just so she can profit even more, let her keep the $200 and find some stupid childish way to get back at her like popping tires (wait a few weeks) or fuck the apt up beyond sight.. like pour milk in every crack of that house that last day you're there.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

This is what she said... Wtf do i say

well obviously her mom is the decision maker. so basically she was doing what she that she could do, but not she realizes she's prob wrong and will ask her mom, so she's shifting responsibility. she was probably going to try and pocket the money.

Ya I'm going to call the board of renting or whatever in my city and then threaten her. I'm also not going to return the keys til this is settled.

skip the 'threaten her' part. it's not warranted at this time, and will just cause problems. it's better to try to stay on decent terms until the matter is sorted unless you want your mother to die in her sleep tonight, but it's totally your call. that's just what I would do.

200 isn't worth the time to deal with when it comes to renting
just leave and be glad they're not trying to charge you for replacement carpets or some shit
if you fight them over the money, they might find something else to charge you for

It was a shithole and its literally perfect condition the way I left it. Plus as other people said neither of us actually has grounds to stand on since there's no lease

You're in Montreal, and the law is that even if there isn't a formal lease, by living there, and paying rent, you are still entitled to all of the laws, and regulations protecting Tennant's. Don't listen to any of these fucking idiots, they're talking out of their ass, contact the Tennant board, explain the situation, they side with the Tennant 9/10 times.

bitching and moaning over $200?

This landlord is a dumb ass. Stretch out your stay without pay as long as possible, save up as much money as you can. Leave that duche bag holding a bill well over $200.

You can go to court for anything, but will it be worth the cost? Should take 2-3 days to make that money back for most people with a job.

I didn't give a months warning, and the verbal agreement was no fixed time. I'm reading on the Regis de lodgement site right now that even in verbal agreements the landlord is suppose to write it on paper.
I'm going to call the Regis on Monday. What do you think will happen?