Sincerely and objectively explain to me how someone who doesn't play an instrument...

Sincerely and objectively explain to me how someone who doesn't play an instrument, barely writes songs and samples other more talented musician's songs is a musical genius.

When did it become cool (on here especially; the supposed paragons of good taste) to take hip hop seriously as a form of music? Why is actual instrumental talent completely marginalised in the current climate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=na9Xtf9Hjdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cuz he made millions doing it

you cant. the man is an egotistical, media hungry, falsely worshipped asshole. believe me, ive tried to enjoy his music, but i just cant

>Doesn't play an instrument.
An MPC and Samplers are technically instruments.

>barely writes song
He writes all of his own shit. For better or for worse.

>samples other more talented musician's songs
If they were so much more talented than him, then why don't they do what he does a recreate the success? if it's apparent so easy?

>Why is actual instrumental talent completely marginalized in the current climate?
Because anybody can play a fucking instrument. Anybody can pick up a guitar and make a song that 17 people listen to on Soundcloud.

Kanye more has vision and you can play instruments for years and still be unambitious musically and commercially.

>Success= Talent
Yeah alright mate
>Anybody can play an instrument
Obviously not him. If it's so easy why doesn't he do it? Also what vision does he have? Sampling other people's music and making more generic hip hop is not revolutionary.

Sounds like you're just talking out of your ass.

If you actually worked with samples and sampling before, you wouldn't be so fast to dismiss it as just "taking someone else's music"

Plus, Kanye is known for adding a lot more instrumentation to the material he samples unlike a lot of producers who just copy and paste.
youtube.com/watch?v=na9Xtf9Hjdk

I can play instruments but I can't sample.

He can play a keyboard and is fantastic with a MPC. On top of that are the skills of sampling and arrangement, as well as vocal production and direction for himself and his features, and all told, Kanye possess various skills in music creation that marks his songs as uniquely his own.

Kanye started off by producing for Jay Z, not a nobody before he released his debut. He's a producer, a musician, before being a rapper.

He was always a rapper first, according to the mtv interview.

OP: "waaaahhhh i want music to be solely about talent and not the end product, waaaaaahhhhh bring instruments back waaaaah"

lol true

As a fan of his body of work in general, I have never considered him a genius. He's just a man who happens to make good works every now and then.

It's not about how many people go into it: It's about the outcome of the album. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

>He was always a rapper first
Kanye's fooling himself.

Kanye plays piano, he used to be a session musician or something, there are recordings of him performing.

He wrote and produced every song on his debut album, the majority of songs on his second album, and he has songwriting/production credits on almost every song on every other album he has made, and of course he raps/sings on every song on ALL of his albums.

The argument of sampling "more talented" musicians is certainly valid but it doesn't invalidate sampling in general, sampling has been a thing in music long before hip-hop. Rock and electronic musicians were using samples as far back as the early 70s. Funny how nobody complained about it until hip-hop became a thing.

There is certainly a difference between lazy sampling and what Kanye does. Kanye doesn't just copy and paste something, he generally manipulates the pitch and tempo of the things he samples, as well as chopping them up and re-arranging them, and also reversing some sections or putting them through various filters such as vocoders.

>play notes on a synthesizer in the studio and program it meticulously for the perfect sound
>"NOT A MUSICIAN"
>play block chords on piano and a simple riff on the right hand
>"I didn't know you were a musician!"
Nigga come on

authenticity is embarrassing
sentimentality is for losers
youve got to forfeit to the zeitgeist lest you reveal yourself to be out of touch which, as defined by the zeitgeist, is embarrassing and being embarrassed is worse than death
just suck it up and accept that he's good -- you want to be with it don't you?

I don't agree 100% but for some reason I really like this post

It's forceful and direct.

I don't have a problem with sampling as long as it's done legally and with permission. Artists who don't go out to seek permission from other artists to sample their work are, at least in that one regard, horrible people. Him sampling 21st Century Schizoid Man without trying to make any sort of contact with Robert Fripp or DGM Live is sickening to me. You want to sample, fine, but do it properly.

To be fair, Fripp deserves that treatment.

It mocks people who appeal to popularity when it comes to discussing Kanye's talents.

No artist deserves to have their work used directly by someone else for monetary gain without the artist's permission, it really doesn't matter what your personal opinion on the artist is.

Am i a sick person for pirating?

>this is what moralfags actually believe

I don't encourage pirating but there's a difference between a popular artist sampling someone else without permission and a person who pirates privately. At any rate, you're not a sick person. Neither is Kanye. The behaviour is sickening but it's not a black and white world where one aspect of a person colours his entire being.

>When did it become cool (on here especially; the supposed paragons of good taste) to take hip hop seriously as a form of music?
>Being this pleb

why?

pro tip : jew gold.

Dude's the equivalent of a film director who's also one of the actors and executive producers of the film he directs. Him and the other vocalists he gets are his actors. The team of songwriters are his cameramen. All his music producers are the special effects guys. And all his record engineers are like the equivalent of his editors if he were a director.

Who would you say is a true artist?

Is acapella not music because it doesnt contain instruments or do consider the voice an instrument, because if so than yes Kanye is a musician.
If you dont want to call Kanye a musician thats fine but he is atleast a composer.

Ps. He does write his own stuff
Pps. You dont have to play an instruments to be a musical genius. Like I said he is a composer.