He was a decent songwriter who turned grunge into pop. Nothing more

He was a decent songwriter who turned grunge into pop. Nothing more.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QilNVTZx5CI
youtube.com/watch?v=QD0D7IuriWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-WedEkDQltA
youtube.com/watch?v=eGqBM_r932s
diffuser.fm/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-grunge/
youtube.com/watch?v=FhKJgqxNDD8
youtube.com/watch?v=RhJKCW2_w3k
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Nicki Minaj
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=soulja boy
youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
youtube.com/watch?v=ZiTFp3vUxkg
youtube.com/watch?v=TjE896B2QUE
youtube.com/watch?v=k8t45eCC0zM
youtube.com/watch?v=z-PdV61Z8Mg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Though it sucked, I am glad Thom Yorke left that shitty grunge aesthetic after releasing Pablo Honey

i know rite

iggy pop was a really ecletic guy

he tried to fix what he had done in their 3rd release, but the damage was done. the genre was destroyed.

grunge thom best thom

He wasn't even always a decent songwriter. some of their early shit was bland.

In terms of personality, blowout, You and the other meme song besides creep were the only good songs on PH and My Iron Lung is the worst song on The Bends

Is there a more over-rated band?

I like Nirvana, they were a good band.

Rip Kurt.

He was a melodic genius and you're all mad that it's undeniably true.

You can even hear come as you are in your head right now.

>Kurt sucks at guitar!
>"can you play come as you are and sing it at the same time? It's actually really difficult"
>"I could if I practiced it for weeks!!"

talented, yes. over-rated, FUCK YES

WEll he turned pop into grunge as was apparent with his david bowie cover

Some great songs in there though no doubt about it.

>Smells Like Teen Spirit (partly a Pixies rip off but still incredible)
>Come As You Are (partly a Damned/Killing Joke rip off but still great)
>Heart Shaped Box
>Serve the Servants
>You Know You're Right

Yeah, that's not Three of a Perfect Pair:
youtu.be/QilNVTZx5CI

>"this thing is hard"
>"yeah well this thing is harder! therefore that first thing isn't hard even a little bit!"
doesn't really work like that

what the fuck is this garbage

a-melodic caterwauling over a casio synth-guitar arpeggio preset?

here's a song that actually makes one feel emotions without all the technical frippery

youtube.com/watch?v=QD0D7IuriWQ

And how did grunge work out? It returned music back to its infancy and there were even more mediocre bands getting signed; just as punk did in the late 70's.(Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Puddle of Mud, Creed, Pearl Jam) Not to mention that most of those bands were trying to cash in on a growing trend, just as record label executives were. I'm not saying that every band should be on the level of Allan Holdsworth or any number of jazz bands, but punk and grunge didn't to music any favors. Post-punk certainly did.
The same applies to:
And if by "technical frippery" you mean something that hasn't been done before, I don't even know what to say. Three of a Perfect Pair may not be their best album, but that song is certainly the one worth listening to from the said album.

>implying breed isnt their best song

>Smashing Pumpkins
>Alice in Chains
>mediocre

Any arguments? No? Just as I thoght.

smells like teen spirit is actually a boston rip off

>And how did grunge work out?
Fine? How is the fate of a genre reflective on a songwriter that wrote songs in a three-piece rock band? Kurt is responsible for shitty radio and Pearl Jam because he wrote honest songs? Hot analysis.

>And if by "technical frippery" you mean something that hasn't been done before, I don't even know what to say.
I mean instrumentation that is boring and uses accidentals and unusual runs to stand out and "be different" rather than express an honest feeling or communicate an ineffable idea. Technical wankery to look impressive on paper but when you listen it just sounds like shit and you feel nothing.

Songs don't need to reinvent anything to be original and good. They just need to be honest and they resonate easily.
youtube.com/watch?v=-WedEkDQltA

thought*

Please post the song it "rips off" so I can listen and take note of how it sounds nothing alike and maybe shares a chord sequence at best.

>um ayckchually the chord progression is the same which means everything else doesn't count including melody, lyrics, and vocal delivery which are obviously the most important element of memorable music but ayyy let's just downplay that :^)

I don't see any arguments on your part as to why two critically acclaimed and widely-loved bands both known for helping to define the 90s alternative sound are comparable to shit like Creed and Puddle of Mudd.

dude i love the feeling when the guitar parts have different rhythms than the vocals. did he actually play it like that live?

yeah the song is More than a feeling, which he was trying to play when he wrote the chords with thier rhythm to the point where you can hear bootlegs in which kurt sings more than a feeling as a goof during nirvana concerts before playing that song

youtube.com/watch?v=eGqBM_r932s

This riff is deceptively hard to play while singing the main melody at the same time.

>He was a melodic genius

Melodic genius is not praise that should be handed out like candy. He wrote catchy melodies, yes, but it was over simplistic chord progressions played as power chords. He was a good melodic songwriter, nothing more.

ew

Bends thom is best thom

>Kurt is responsible for shitty radio and Pearl Jam because he wrote honest songs?
Where did I say this? What I said was:
>Not to mention that most of those bands were trying to cash in on a growing trend, just as record label executives were.
I mean, lets hear it from the horse's mouth:
diffuser.fm/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-grunge/
>I mean instrumentation that is boring and uses accidentals and unusual runs to stand out and "be different" rather than express an honest feeling or communicate an ineffable idea. Technical wankery to look impressive on paper but when you listen it just sounds like shit and you feel nothing.
We aren't talking about Dragonforce, Yngwie Malmsteen or Michael Angelo Batio here. King Crimson doesn't make you feel anything? I can understand that you may not like them as a band, but saying that their music doesn't evoke any feelings and that it's all meaningless wank is asinine.
youtube.com/watch?v=FhKJgqxNDD8
youtube.com/watch?v=RhJKCW2_w3k

ITT: revelations made 30 years ago

>it happened in the past so it must never be mentioned again
what is history

>I don't see any arguments on your part as to why two critically acclaimed and widely-loved bands both known for helping to define the 90s alternative sound are comparable to shit like Creed and Puddle of Mudd.
Well, according to Christgau, rock n' roll animal, Nicki Minaj and Soulja Boy received critical acclaim.
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=Nicki Minaj
robertchristgau.com/get_artist.php?name=soulja boy

youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I
>mfw shit like this exists but people wail on Kurt for a song whose final product sounds NOTHING AT ALL like the song it supposedly "rips off"

here is a nice example of how these two songs can retain their identity even when mashed together, you can easily tell which bit is used from which song and how they are essentially so different that the mashup almost doesn't even work as well as you think it would.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZiTFp3vUxkg

Nirvana was fucking great.

>Melodic genius is not praise that should be handed out like candy.
I agree.
> He wrote catchy melodies
Consistently and with ease. The genius IS their simplicity.
>but it was over simplistic chord progressions played as power chords.
This has nothing to do with melody, since it is the harmony. Notice I didn't call him a "harmonic genius", which is a title I would give to someone like Brian Wilson or Paul McCartney.

>He was a melodic genius and you're all mad that it's undeniably true.
Well, writing catchy melodies can be considered a virtue, all right I'll give you that.
>You can even hear come as you are in your head right now.
Isn't something that you always wonder how it got written, how could've someone possibly heard the melody even more intriguing?
These are some of the songs that I'm impressed by.
youtube.com/watch?v=TjE896B2QUE
youtube.com/watch?v=k8t45eCC0zM

im not sure what you are trying to say but the it's a well know fact about smells like teen spirit coming from more than a feeling. No one thinks they are the same song but the autor of the song is on record about the where it came from. he was literally trying to play more than a feeling when he wrote the main riff

Someone is really mad in this thread.
Nirvana was fucking great. There is no getting away from that. Chill.

>These are some of the songs that I'm impressed by.
And why? Because no one could've even dreamed of these chord voicings, these melodies and most of his songs aren't tied to a particular time. And wouldn't you agree that most grunge bands had an ubiquitous sound after a while? Just as hair metal bands had to release a ballad to push their careers forward.

I guess my point is that I really don't care about Grunge as a whole but merely Kurt's contribution to it, as I find it to be the most authentic and pure in intention. I do like Billy Corgan's music, but I would argue that you can hear him "painting by numbers" a lot more than you can with Kurt. Either way, I don't care about Grunge because discussing genres has always been boring to me and I also don't care much about how songwriter's dictate music trends, since the derivative trends are always "chasing the dragon" as it were.
>King Crimson doesn't make you feel anything?
Moonchild is brilliant (along with that entire album). But I didn't care for the song you posted initially.

It also sounds like Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. Evidently, according to Kurt's journals the band was considering scrapping the song because it sounded too much like Godzilla.

The song that I've always thought it resembled was Gouge Away by the Pixies. Though they're in different keys etc etc the verse of both songs bear a strong resemblance.

>Either way, I don't care about Grunge because discussing genres has always been boring to me and I also don't care much about how songwriter's dictate music trends, since the derivative trends are always "chasing the dragon" as it were.
Just what I wanted to hear.
> But I didn't care for the song you posted initially.
And that's why I said that Three of a Perfect Pair (album) isn't one of their greatest achievments.

>it was over simplistic chord progressions played as power chords

And? That's kind of the fucking point of the genre.

>it's an over-simplistic piece of metal used to cut food. i like my knives complicated.

Yeah, I know you're just blowharding that shit to try and sound clever, but you're a moron, nothing more.

>im not sure what you are trying to say but the it's a well know fact about smells like teen spirit coming from more than a feeling.
Let me elaborate with a question. Can you define what "comes from" means? Saying a song "comes from" another song because it has a similar main riff or chord progression is to me so reductive an observation that you might as well not say anything at all. There is so much more to writing a successful song and creating a GENRE DEFINING, "voice of a generation" type sound than a singular riff. So much more is conveyed in energy, timbre, instrumentation, lyric, VOCAL melody and feel that saying "all those things came from More than a Feeling!" to me is just nonsensical. As we can hear in that mashup, the songs are so radically different in timbre, feel, and main melody that it's almost not worth mentioning the similarity.

Compared to something like that 4 chord mashup or something like this, where the songs almost sound like perfect continuations of each other.
youtube.com/watch?v=z-PdV61Z8Mg