Warcraft

What do i need to know about Warcraft lore prior to seeing this? All I've heard from people not into Warcraft is how confused they were.

Other urls found in this thread:

wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Hand_of_Gul'dan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Orcs dindu nuffin.

Orcs are pig humans, not deformed elves....

I went blind and had no problem. Just pay attention.

GREEN MAGIC BAD
BLUE MAGIC GOOD

No point of watching it if you are not a fan already desu

I don't know much about the lore but here's what I did know going into it.

>Orcs are known as The Horde, their planet Draenor has been sucked dry by Fel magic
>Fel magic is basically sacrifice-based magic, and it corrupts the shit out of the user
>Gul'Dan is a wizard(?) orc that's opening a portal to the human world (more specifically the land known as Azeroth) through something called the Dark Portal
>Garona is a half-human orc that fights alongside the humans in the initial battles, because she can speak English for...some weird fucking reason.
>There's heroes on both sides of the battle. Orcs aren't all bad and Humans aren't all good. Durotan in particular is probably the realest nigga out there

I wasn't into the games but the movie was good. Shit dialogue mostly but wasn't lost.

Alright, seems like any other movie, i guess most of the casual audience is confused by anything fantasy nowadays. Thanks for the info anons.

This.

NO WAY WE GET A SEQUEL

-Dalaran is the capital of the Kiron Tor mages, they're disgustingly neutral and ambivolent to conflicts that dont' directly endanger them
-Khadgar, a young mage, is kicked out/excommunicated from the city prior to the events of the film
-They never explain it in-movie, but "the fel", in the context of the movie is demonic in nature. All green orcs have drinken demonic blood "the fel", and are both compelled to serve their demonic masters, and are compelled to be more evil and destructive then they otherwise would be. It takes an iron will to resist a the corruption of fel energy, which few posses.
-When the portals between Draenor(the Orcs homeworld, I don't think they ever name it in the movie) and Azeroth is closed, it is far easier to resist the corruption and influence of demons. As long as they remain open, evil fel energies will spill into Azeroth unchecked
-The Seven Kingdoms constantly mentioned in the movie become The Alliance, one of the two most powerful factions in the world for 4+ decades to come. In the film, they are unified and are rightly portrayed as a bunch of bickering kingdoms. The Alliance proper doesn't manifest under the very end of the movie, and the conflict is centered primarily over the southernost ravaged Kingdom of Stormwind, and it's territories
-There are unseen forces on both sides wanting this invasion to happen
-Garona is the offspring of Orc and Draenei, explaining her smaller appearance (See Pic related). At the time of this movie a faction of the Draenei race is being enslaved by the fel Orcs in a ravaged region of Draenor
-The baby orc----Go'el---- that appears throughout the movie spends the next 3-4 decades becoming one of the many heroes in Azeroth, during the many conflicts and wars following this movie

Nothing if you go into the theater without already deciding that you don't understand the story.

>for...some weird fucking reason.
you didnt pay attention. she specifically answers that question in the movie

nothing you wrote was necessary to know before watching the movie.

>What do i need to know about Warcraft lore prior to seeing this?
nothing, all that's important is explained
>All I've heard from people not into Warcraft is how confused they were.
those people must be retards to be quite honest with you, because the movie sets up everything just fine

Good movie but I had 2 problems:

The universal logo at the beginning should have been azeroth

Why is dalaran floating exactly? Shouldn't it be in alterac where it was until it gets moved to northrend?

>Garona is the offspring of Orc and Draenei
In the movie canon she's actually an offspring of Medivh and an Orc mother.
I'm sorry user ...

Ohh.....

OP here. Even if it wasn't "necessary" thanks for the extra lore, i love that kind of stuff.

Nothing. Its perfectly understandable to anyone who isnt a dimwit.

I fucking hate WoW. But I loved this movie.

>why is Dalaran floating
>why is Doomhammer Frostwolf
>why is Garona an offspring of Medivh and an Orc mother
>why is Sargeras, demons and Legion never mentioned
>why is Aegwynn inside the Alodi cube
>why didn't Khadgar age
>why is Lothar and Llane so young
>why is Garona Lothar's love interest
>why is Garona suddenly not brainwashed
>why did Duncan "I'm such a Warcraft fan" Jones change so many pointless things? or did he just not fucking read the books or something?

So this movie failed in the box office right?
no sequel?

fucking video game fags

it made back its budget from china alone, you fucking pleb. expect 7 more movies, faggot

I don't disagree but they literally say gul'dan was talking to someone whose voice was like flame and ash or something, pretty obviously sargeras to anyone paying attention.

The movie had potential, but the second Bowies son decided to make it separate canon with its own books/comics and changed half the story for literally zero reason it was clear it's gonna be shit.
I almost walked out of theatre when Gul'dan ressurected Go'el.

>so many pointless things
exactly, nobody gives a fuck. you want a 3h30 long movie that follow every single plot to the letter? too bad, it will never happen. that shit doesnt sell and you wouldnt even have a movie.

You're right. But zero explanation as to why did Medivh suddenly became evil except for "lol fel magic amirite". He was fucking possessed by Sargeras his entire life. In the movie it looks like he's such a fucking pleb he can't deal with a little fel.

Eh I suppose, I just assumed he was hiding it and that's why no one had seen him for 6 years, but that's probably because I already knew medivh's story going in.

tell me exactly how you would fit that plot, with background story for sargeras and aegwynn, into a 2h movie. you need to realize that normal people dont have extensive knowledge of the universe and it would take a whole movie just to explain the relationship between sargeras and medivh. hollywood doesnt catter to nerds, and im glad it doesnt. if it did, nobody would see that movie. so accept the minor differences that literally every single adaptation has, and move on

I meant pointless as in there was no reason to change them. Of course you have to omit osme things otherwise the movie would be 5 hours long, but when you change stuff just for the sake of changing it thinking "wow, my changed story is so much better, the original sucked" when you could have easily kept it as it was originally and it wouldn't extend the movies length or anything. He literally changed things based on nothing. Not shortening the movie, not making it more coherent, nothing. He just changed shit because he thought his version is better or that it looks "epic".

>tell me exactly how you would fit that plot, with background story for sargeras and aegwynn, into a 2h movie
The same as fucking Fellowship of the Ring did it. The same as any fucking movie set in a fictional universe does it. Just have some basic exposition that sets up the movie in the beginning.
LotR did it, Star Wars did it, why couldn't Warcraft?
Or they could have just set up Sargeras at the end for the next movie, but explain Medivh somehow.

What would you want to see in the sequel that we probably won't get?

No, it was required to streamline it even more. It was the right decision.
King Llane and Lothar shoudl've been combined and make a new characterer... King Llane.
Make him more of a warrior who doesnt know how to rule, but in the end of the movie learns from his sons death the need of many and sacrifices himself.
Biggest flaw in Warcraft was the lack of human protagonist. You never really knew or learned their motives other than "i must protect the humans", thats why Orcs felt more 'human' and it was interesting to see what Durotan does. He has motive and endgame and so does Gul'dan.
Medivh, Lothar, Khadgar and rest of humans felt like puppets with no real development or goal. You could cut all the human stuff out and it would still work in a way.
I really wanted to like the movie and i did in the first third, it nailed everything perfectly. However, middle act and ending was dull as fuck and reminded me of Phantom Menace. It was just chaos.

Shit that actually happened in universe. This movie should have ended with Stormwind getting rekt by the Orcs and people running away to form the Alliance of Lordaeron. What was this shit ending for fucks sake.

They did setup the next movie with go'el at the end, unless you thought thrall wouldn't be a central character in anything Chris Metzen touches.

>Titans go around and create worlds
>One titan, Sargeras, says fuck it and goes evil
>Invade azeroth because they have some special magic well
>Nightelves kick his ass, their society splinters in night elves and high elves who sail away
>over 9000 years later demons show up all over azeroth
>humans who learned magic from the high elves form a group who fights against demons
>one of the demons is so strong that one member says he needs the power of all the other dudes to go super sayan
>he defeats that demon and calls himself guardian
>a successor of that guy is called Aegwyn
>she gets tricked by Sargeras and her child has a bit of his soul inside him or whatever
>That child is Medivh who is the guardian when warcraft takes place
>Meanwhile Sargeras has corrupted the orcs who slaughtered the Draenai, a species of elf goats
>Some shit happens, their planet goes full europe
>Sargeras makes Medivh to open a portal to let the orcs in, so they can finish what he couldn't do over 9000 years ago

If you don't understand something in the movie it's 99% because of corruption
t. metzen

Go'el won't fucking do shit until the end of warcraft 2. Holy shit please I hope they won't fuck up, they didn't shit on too many things here, they can stil redeem themselves.

I have some bad news for you about the current state of Warcraft lore...

I know about current Warcraft lore, it doesn't matter whether it's good or bad, I just want the movie to follow it, not create separate canon just for the movies. Why would you even do such a thing?

Current stat of Warcraft lore is that they revised it with Chronicle and everything that comes out now is definitely canon and shouldn't retcon anything or be retconned later. They finally started to care.

>What do i need to know about Warcraft lore prior to seeing this?

You have to read the WarCraft: Durotan novel, WarCraft: The Official Movie Novelization, and WarCraft: Bonds of Brotherhood.

The lore has been slightly altered from the original warcraft lore.

You need to know about the history of the Frostwolf Clan, formation of the Horde, Kingdom of Azeroth, and the Kirin Torr

>not one mention of Ner'zhul

DROPPED

Don't be fooled, user. Blue magic is a gateway drug that leads to green magic.

He was in the movie though. Grom, Ner'zhul and Kilrogg were all among the orcs, but they had no fucking lines and were never mentioned despite being fucking Warchiefs. Holy shit I hope Duncan Jones kills himself.

We were never going to get a big-budget wide-release movie that was 100% faithful to Warcraft 1 and 2. I hate to break it to you but the average Warcraft fan today has only ever played WoW and they made the movie as such. Orcs being noble savages, muh corruption etc. To be honest I was surprised that the movie had as much accuracy as it did, which isn't a lot.

>Grom, Ner'zhul and Kilrogg were all among the orcs,

Gonna need a source to back this one up bro. I did not see him in the film.

Yeah I thought it was weird that they bothered to animate kargath, grom etc. despite them being literally extras

"Go'el is the key to all this" - Chris Metzen

The real question is, how many characters are still Metzen. Because in the games, most of the NPCs who are worth anything at all are Metzen.

only the weak will succumb

Just like Medivh in this movie.

Sounds like warlock talk to me.

That's not Ner'zhul, already been confirmed not to be him.

Ner'zhul painted a white skull on his head and he won't just be just some guy in a fight. The guy was literally the pope of the Orcs prior the formation of the horde. He rarely did actual fighting.

The fact we didn't see or hear of Ner'zhul confirms my theory he's been cut and Gul'dan will take his place as the Lich King.

what the fuck is there to be confused about

they all make their disposition pretty clear

>I fucking hate WoW. But I loved this movie.
did you play/like the rts games tho?

nerzhul wasnt in it mate.
thats not him you retarded nig

Why would they specifically cut Ner'zhul yet have fucking kargath in a non-speaking role? I literally think they just looked at pictures of orcs and used whichever ones looked coolest.

Its the only thing that makes sense unless there's many scenes with the other warchiefs on the cutting room floor.

>Gul'dan will take his place as the Lich King.
please dont

>Why would they specifically cut Ner'zhul yet have fucking kargath in a non-speaking role?

Because he's WAY to fucking important to:

1.) Not be there on Azeroth ("we will bring our STRONGEST warriors" - Gul'dan)

2.) Not be mentioned at all in both the film, and the novel.

Source? All the orcs were generic except Kargath, Grom, Kilrogg and this guy. Why would he not be Ner'zhul?

nerzhul does exactly fuck all in the first war and we only see him in the expansion of warcraft 2. He's on fucking draenor as the leader of the orcs there. We see draenor for all of 5 minutes at most in the movie. If he's cut and guldan becomes the lich king we riot
>how you want your warcraft movie senpai?
JUST FUCK MY LORE UP BAKA

Stranglethorn confirmed for canon. How long till WE WUZ THE KINGS appear on screen?

>nerzhul does exactly fuck all in the first war and we only see him in the expansion of warcraft 2.

Games and novel lore = / = movie lore

Draenor is not dying in the games.

Trolls were actually cut from the movie, they are in the special edition.

Didn't Bowie Jr. send some tweets saying there wasn't a director's cut or special edition or anything?

>Trolls were actually cut

>ogres cut
>rape of stormwind cut
>hand of Kil'jaeden cut
>exile of the Kingdom of Azeroth cut
>blood of mannoroth cut

JUST FUCK MY LORE UP BRO

>Didn't Bowie Jr. send some tweets saying there wasn't a director's cut or special edition or anything?

If that's true, we fucking riot.

>Games and novel lore = / = movie lore
it's not 1:1 but you're retarded if you don't think they're close. It's not like it's completely different story

Read this instead. And then decide to go see the movie

>hand of Kil'jaeden
whats that?

>It's not like it's completely different story
See

Its true.

WE RIOT

I want to put my seed in Draka's belly.

Gul'dan did nothing wrong.

From what I've been hearing and seeing, it's a massive pile of shit.

>whats that?
Sorry I mean Hand of Gul'dan and it's this:

wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Hand_of_Gul'dan

>Gul'dan did nothing wrong.

Same with Doomhammer. Fucking traitor Duortan.

No ner'zul did nothing wrong and was a pretty sympathetic character. Gul'dan from the sounds of this (and the game lore too) is just an edgelord.

You understand they have retconned so much stuff in the 'path'? Either it follows truly the 'original' WC2 and WC3 or it makes own CU, wich i will gladly take as stated in;

>thinking trolls did literally ANYTHING in the first war
cool we have faggots who never played any of the warcraft games in a warcraft thread

>Gul'dan from the sounds of this (and the game lore too) is just an edgelord.

Gul'dan literally saved the main hero's (Thrall) life. If anything he's the savior of the universe of this storyline.

>mannoroth and kiljaeden
weren't mentioned the first war, they're obviously the driving force behind it but they don't need to be mentioned for an intro movie. There's too much lore and characters to cover for one film.

>trolls
who cares

>azeroth getting fucked and stormwind sacking will happen in the opening scene of the sequel

Fuck green jesus. Garrosh did nothing wrong.

>be destroyer of worlds
>save the savior
POTTERY

>new dimension created by clash of void and light energies
>this dimension is the wow universe
>void gods cannot enter the universe
>watch on as universe gives birth to the titans who are hatched from planets like chicks from eggs
>void gods discover that they can enter the universe if they are able to corrupt the titans while they are still babies in the planets
>void gods are able to send the old gods into the universe in order to corrupt as many worlds as possible in the hopes of creating corrupted titans
>sargeras discovers this and realizes that a corrupted titan would be unstoppable
>sargeras goes to the world (mardum) he imprisoned the demons on and makes a pact with them to destroy the universe in order to prevent the void gods from conquering it
>(the universe will automatically begin anew over time because of natural clash of void and dark energies)
>demons agree to join sargeras as the burning legion
>sargeras shatters mardum, becoming transformed by shit tons of fel magic released from the planet...the demons are now freed to follow sargeras
>sargeras tells the titans of his plan, the titans disagree and attack sargeras, sargeras kills them all because he is roided out as fuck now (a void corrupted titan would still far outmatch fel-infused sargeras)
>azeroth is discovered to be the planetary egg that hosts perhaps the most powerful titan ever
>the old gods begin the work
>sargeras launches numerous attempts to destroy azeroth but is soundly defeated each time by the old god corrupted machines of the titans (aka humans, elves, gnomes, tauren, etc.)
>modern warcraft story occurs sometime later

>Thrall didn't cheat during the Makgora, he can totally use shaman magic!
>Gul'dan uses soul magic
>Orcs start screaming cheater

Duncan btfo all Thrall supporters

Ner'zhul was pretty red pilled on most issues.

Basically the Horde was the allies of world war I, and the Legion was the bankers on wallstreet who were funding them. Ner'zhul simplying said "fuck you guys" and started doing his own shit.

Even as the Lich King, he played all of his card right and manged to ensure the Legion's defeat at the same time leaving himself free of demon control.

Gul'dan has a huge dick...

>nothing about the Dragon aspects

With spikes...

>gul'dan literally delivers thrall
>saves his life, is clearly proud of the newborn
>not angry at all at durotan/draka for bringing a baby to war
>gave garona memento of her dead mom
>was going to fight it out with durotan fairly before he realized it would take too long and the portal was more important

Blackhand
>regretful of the orcs changing
>was going to sudoku for failing them
>shows mercy and lets draka leave with her son

Neither of them did anything wrong.

Jesus christ, really?
When did metzen come up with that?

It's all part of the new expansion and the WoW Chronicle book that ties in with the expansion.

HAHAHAHA JUST KIDDING WE ACTUALLY STARCRAFT 2 NOW

When they realized they needed an even bigger bad guy to milk the game out even longer.

Also don't think Metzen is top lore guy anymore, Thrall is a useless emo now.

Now is the time of Illidan, the CHOSEN ONE OF THE LIGHT.

if you watched the movie instead of being a retard autismo nigger you'd realize they pretty much confirm guldan was corrupted by the fel but originally probably really did just want to save his people this based on the fact of what he did for garona, saving thrall and what not