So why dont we use trebuchets to launch stuff into space? like if we get a trebuchet and make it huge...

So why dont we use trebuchets to launch stuff into space? like if we get a trebuchet and make it huge. like i mean big enough to send 100 kilos in to low earth orbit. with 9000 trebuchet launches we get one Iss. However we dont have to stop there. if we keep launching we can make the space station bigger and bigger with just the cost of the part and maintenance on trebuchet. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e6Y2uQn_wvc
youtu.be/6vKzCtkRMAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is what the government doesn't want you to know. We're on a list now and in 5 minutes the thread will be destroyed and the FBI will be at your door. run.

Fukin big rocket

Nigger what?

>get a trebuchet and make it huge

Torque on throwing beam overwhelms tensile strength of wood.

For Sup Forumstards: It would break.

We are way in the end game they cost too much gold op

what is we use carbon or something stronger?

because the only thing strong enough for a structure like that that is highly concentrated CP, and that shit's illegal

This why i come here.

environmentalists killed the idea, it needs too much wood

Do the math and youll know

fuck u islamfags infidels

im not an engineer tho

I don't think we'd make it out of wood, though.

there working on it, its called a space elevator

you guys just need to daisy chain the trebuchets

big trebuchet at the bottom throws a smaller trebuchet, which at its peak throws the payload into orbit

this

... overwhelms strength of all known materials.

If you had materials of sufficient strength, you could just build a space elevator instead.

Bich wut

Because of physics, user.

we make 1 really good one. From expensive shit.
Then launch small packages that wouldn't break out Trebuchet because it can handle it, like a wrestler caressing a babies mustache.

15:000 launches = ISS reinforced

Air resistance, dingus. Any trebuchet with enough acceleration to get the projectile out of the atmosphere would rip itself apart

We'll use a very light yet very strong arm, some metal or carbon fiber or something. And in the counterweight will have a downward explosive detonation to get the required velocity in the weight and thus the arm

this idea put something into orbit

The space elevator is nothing like a trebuchet.

/thread

fuck yeah. 'splosions

>if we make it huge
>if

The end of the arm would have to be traveling the speed of an object that would be in low earth orbit. Then you have to stop it before it comes slamming down on whoever is on the other end. seems like a good way to split the Earth in two.

You're an visionary user.

Stop it with the low quality bait. If this isn't bait and you are serious, then you need to take a few more years of schooling, at least get past 6th grade.

Because trebuchet is a horrendous font.

im crying someone screencap this

Not enough thrust to weight ratio, no gimbal or flight control, and the Gforces required would kill any astronauts onboard.

So no.

>OP's fw

That is why...
guys..
That is why... we make it SOOO HUGE, the trebuchet get's loaded on the ground but flings it's arm in space itself!

We skip the velocity and armosphere problems guys!

ey?

EY?

see filename

atmosphere*

not armosphere

Its as if you don't know the meaning of any of the words you just used.

Use the hardest metal diamonds

wut

The Donald Trump solution to space exploration.

these autism levels are increasing at an unprecedented rate

the "or something" is the problem here
the space elevator is exactly like this idea

>Today I will be interviewing a former NASA, SPaceX and Boeing employee who has been secretly working on a revolutionary way to send payload to space at a fraction of the actual price!
>OP shows up, this is hfw

yeah i forgot that this launching will probably alter the turning of the earth.
But besides that, solid idea imo

Hold on, you'll all calling OP retarded, but I can't actually see the structural problem with throwing tiny packages.
Just as a whip accelerates a tiny mass past the speed of sound without breaking, you could launch a tiny mass with a huge arm that gets thinner towards the end.

The atmosphere though, that's the problem.

do you know the equations to calculate how much mass (in the basket) it would take to lift even the arm of that trebuchet to apex? Holy shit man, this is unreasonable. Do the calc. Seriously. You might actually shit yourself laughing,

i am not OP, but i support him.

I made a pic on how we can defeat the atmosphere as you can see here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>defeat the atmosphere

Hang on a sec, I have few memes that are relevant to this thread

Okay dipshit. Let's set aside this won't work because it's fucking stupid and we all know it.

If you're just flinging something into orbit it's not going to work because you need a burn to equalize your orbit once you've reached the highest altitude of the ballistic arc from your launch. No matter how hard you through your object it will come back down unless you have a burn once you're out of the atmosphere.

Now if you cop out and say that's acceptable. Because you would need only a small amount of fuel to equalize your orbit compared to a traditional launch. I would say eat a dick OP, you're still retarded.

To launch an object in this fashion you need to apply all your delta v at the moment of launch, and sea level or pretty close, where your payload is exposed to the most dense part of the atmosphere. Your payload would burn up from friction long before making it out of the atmosphere.

TL;DR
You're so fucking stupid I think your parents may have been twins.

sounds good

what if we plug a dynamo to the rotating part and use the energy genareted to power the trebeuchet again

>this nigga

Do you even Archimedes at all?

Sounds like you're interviewing a nigger who can't hold a job.

dude you forgot that most of the arm will soon be in space anyway when launching.

There is no gravity in space, so only the beginning will cost some energy.

Which is actually pretty easy to solve because if you have such a huge Trebuchet you just make a huge bag for a basket, that will collect rain when it rains.
When it's full it will be havier then the arm which will auto-fling itself.

Nature will help out, shit doesn't even cost ya a fucking energy besides the threshold of building the Trebuchet!

Probably be more effective at that point to just build a space elevator or a giant magnetic rail gun to shoot things into space

okay so hear me out, what if we use a giant slingshot instead?

here, you uncultured swine

youtube.com/watch?v=e6Y2uQn_wvc

Or we could just use niggers. Like a lot of niggers

Atmosphere is always a problem if you go quickly, so a cheaper solution is go rise slowly, such as with a balloon. This can be used for light payloads, such as seen in the JPL testing for hypersonic parachutes. A balloon was used to lift it high enough that a single small motor could be used to bring the small craft into low Earth orbit.

Guys, what if we have a trebuchet trebuchets , trebuchets with smaller trbebuchets inside, each rotating with some torque and we let that add up. When it has enough torque, fling it

Let just assume you're not a fucking idiot for a moment.

Even if all your assumptions are right. SPOILER: they aren't. The energy costs of building the trebuchet would be more then the energy costs of a traditional launch. And then you have the energy costs of resetting the thing to a launch position when you want to send something else up. And how are you gonna do that faggot?

You still need thrust to keep the fucking cable up 100% of the time.

Let's just pretend anyone gave a fuck enough to click that link and move on with our lives.

Based user solved the problem.

>The energy costs of building the trebuchet would be more then the energy costs of a traditional launch
yeah, but this is re-usable. Once you have the initial infrastructure in place its practically free

No its not because you have to reset the fucking thing. And you have no way to do that.

The trebuchet is inherently unsuited for such a task. By design, it launches projectiles in an arc. Lurn2ballistics. Better ideas include maglev and space elevator built with diamond nanotubes.

A trebuchet is a bit... primitive.. but something like a massive rail gun pointed upwards would be a pretty interesting idea to execute =3

Ever dropped a bag of water on the ground? The bag full of rain will empty when hitting the earth, if there is anything left in it, just drain/unplug the plug that you build in the bag.
without counterweight the arm will drop to the ground.

Easy ass shit bro.

It doesnt have to stop.
you could even make a long arm with counter weight pointed up, start spinning it at high rps.
the release the object.
Just need a drone in space to pick up the package

Holy shit user

We dont need no stinking meatbags, just parts supples and fuel

To fix the breaking problem.. Why not just have a trebuchet launch a second trebuchet?

gay

*** Like a really tall one, that would function as far up in the sky as the metals would make the Elevator idea would work and at the end it would accelerate the objects the rest of the way.

Also it's not like the cost would be a little bit more then a normal launch. It would be the single most expensive thing ever build in terms of time, money, resources, and man power. Several orders of magnitude more costly then every launch ever done before combined.

dude its a trebuchet you just bend it back, look at the picture

>like a wrestler caressing a babies mustache
Oh god i lol'd

>Pic is OP

>this thread

>trebuchet powerful enough to launch something into orbit
>you just bend it back
user my sides. Mercy. Pls.

>Update
Aaaand why did we not build an elevator again?

because that costs energy (see the rain bag idea)
and an elevator? How'd you see that working? Any pic?

So your whole launch concept is to put the payload in the basket and then wait till it fucking rains enough to produce all your counter weight.

Then drain this giant magic bag and watch your gigantic monument to idiocy burn up on its uncontrolled re-entry?

Great fucking plan.

This

I am liking this idea

I built it nubZZZZ

Fucking easy, you just launch a space craft that can propel in to the orbit after reaching apax height.

>you are out of your element
>i played kerbal space engineers.
youtu.be/6vKzCtkRMAg

PS this file size is cramping my style

you can also drain it slowly for a soft comeback.
And at some places it rains so fucking much you don't have to worry about it.
1-2 launches a week easily FOR FREE. compared to the -how many a year?- from NASA?

Wouldn't it be simpler to build a trebuchet on the ISS? That way they can shoot us a diamond filament cable to haul up supplies.

Bullshit science guy, the Earth is flat

And then we can launch nukes around the world!

If even bullets shot in the air travel much faster and still come down, what hope is there for the lowly trebuchet?