Joy Division vs New Order Thread

Joy Division vs New Order
Discuss

Never listened to New Order, where should I start?

New Order hands down.

Necking yourself will get you eternal fan worship, yet you never get to cash in on it.

Movement is most like Joy Division. Then listen to Power, Corruption and Lies which is more their own thing and is the better album

New Order by far.

New Order, any day

New Order is good. Joy Division sucks. There is a reason so many posers wear the notorious Unknown Pleasures tee

Joy divisions are the better band
New order are for reactionaries that hate to say they like the more popular band (though new order are still good)

Who was in the wrong here?

Who's the New Order of the 21st Century?

The other one

Both unique sounds, should be able to appreciate these on their own terms you fucking plebs

no, there can be only one

I'd say New Order, Closer is undoubtedly better than anything New Order released, though in terms of sheer quantity it can't be debated - New Order have released several enjoyable, highly acclaimed albums (Movement, PC&L, Lowlife, Brotherhood and Technique) as opposed to two. Sumner's lyricism is an enormous step down from Curtis' though it fits the bill for what they're trying to do.

In terms of instrumentals, New Order is far more varied and all-around superior although Joy Division does have better atmosphere. Its kind of like comparing Captain Beefheart to Frank Zappa in many ways - one produced unarguably better albums though the other produces far more and maintained great quality throughout.

New Order

bro new order is so much more popular irl

Their sound is more pop but do you see people wearing new order tshirts? Do you hear people talk about new order? I don't, just joy division

are you kidding me?
my local radio station plays blue monday at least once a day.
the jd shirt is better than the New order shirt.

I don't listen to the radio so I don't know about airplay but judging from how much people talk about each of them JD are more popular where I am

what people?
the five people you vaguely know?
blue monday is the best-selling 12" single of all time.

stop talking to wannabe goth kids.

I can assure you I don't know anybody that has much of an interest in music but even people who aren't that interested know who joy division are. New order was more popular at the time which is why they sold so much but now their popularity pails in comparison to JD

This. New Order was more successful but Joy Division are now iconic.

I have a question for dudes who know more about this than i do: I really really liked Movement, but every other album by New Order moves further and further away from what Movement did. Senses for example is honestly one of my favourite songs of all time, and they never did anything like it again. Is there any other band, or maybe some unreleased tracks that anyone knows of that might be similar to Movement or early New Order?

My biggest peeve with New Order is that to me, they sounded more and more poppy as time went on, the songs had more of a traditional structure, the singing went from trying to copy Ian (which sounded really fucking good) to doing something of their own, which is obviously more respectable as they definitely should do their own music rather than just trying to live up to their past, but i really liked what they did with Movement and want to hear more.

A certain ratio do something like this
Try the album 'to each...'

'to each...' isn't turning up anything for me. You mean New Order or some other band?

Never mind, i thought you meant "a certain ratio" was a certain ratio of people who listen to New Order or Joy division think like me. I'll check them out

I like them both, but New Order solely because there's more

JOY DIVISION = BETTER

Joy Division, no doubt

Foo Fighters

Original band does something original, becomes really popular, leading creative force dies, original band breaks up, new band keeps some of the elements that made them popular but eventually turn into a boring and somewhat tame version of what they used to be.

Yeah you're pretty much spot on

>implying people that wear joy division shirts knows the band

I like Joy Division, but New Order is significantly more interesting to me because I can't think of any other band that was more emblematic of music in the 1980s.

They went from post-punk, to to Hi-NRG, to synthpop, and then acid house.

>there is a reason

It's an incredibly good design?

Musically? Idk, LCD Soundsystem, maybe?

Definitely LCD Soundsystem