Horror

Comfy Horror Thread: Because I'm Sick of Game of Thrones Threads Edition

>good horror you've seen that you'd recommend others
>your opinion the genre and who does it well and who does not
>spoopy

occultcore is a pretty underrated subgenre

I think I saw that a while back. It's not a very new film, is it?

Currently watching pic related and it's pretty good.

Amazing concept and atmosphere in this movie.

Acting was a little hit or miss and the plot felt like National Treasure on crack.

Watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street last night. Fucking love the shot of Tina's body getting dragged through the school halls. I wish the atmosphere of the film was a little darker though, a few too many silly moments.

Favorite horror film is 28 days later but it feels so tired even saying so by now. Weeks was okay but felt like an "Aliens" sort of sequel. Lots of action/ military but way less atmosphere.

I'd recommend House of the Devil to people who haven't seen it, it's nothing great but it's sort of a throw back scary movie

>tfw kissed a girl for the first time seeing this in theatres

Unfortunately my luck with girls has long passed

Ah man, I couldn't agree more. I dragged friend through the first 3 movies and he's a firm believer in the series now.

And it's really weird you mentioned House of the Devil. I'm watching it right after Skeleton Key.

I'm in the mood for some old-school.

yep 1996.
this is another one I enjoy. idk I just like it when horror films are set in high school

Give me some atmospheric horror with no shitty jump scares

Horror movies are like a skeleton key to women's panties.

That being said, I really liked Grave Encounters. Rare to see time warp and reality distortion done this well in a horror movie.

Does anyone know of any horror films that do reality fucking as well as this?

Even though it's a really meme-y recommendation, this pretty much sums up The Babadook.

I just did. Final Prayer (or The Borderlands, depending on region) is practically jump-scare free. And that's pretty neat for a found-footage type of deal.

It has a few, but they kinda' earn 'em.

"the descent" was better, desu

>found-footage
DROPPED

The Babadook was horrorkino. I don't care what memelords say.

It was more claustrophobic, I'll give you that.

AASB did the supernatural element way better though.

Read House of Leaves my dude, I don't care if you've never read another book in your life it's worth it dude.

Grave Encounters is a good movie but it's got a lot played out "scary face" scares too.

I'm telling you though, please check out House of Leaves its really that good

I'm Terribly Overrated: The Movie

Why do you viral market this movie so much? Serious question, you've been spamming this shitty Borderlands movie constantly since it was released 2-3 years ago. Did you have something to do with the movie or are you really just that big of fan of straight-to-dvd found footage movies?

Another memed about movie but you should give it a shot, The Witch

Seen it, pretty slow burning but a good movie

You know, you sound like my nigger, because I really liked that book.

I don't know why this hasn't been made a movie yet.

I swear the director could just do a scene-by-scene from the book and it'd define horrorkino.

Congratulations on the excellent tastes. Fuck /lit/, I love that book.

The Witch

I have never made a thread about the movie before, and based on all the other images and movies I've posted ITT I kinda' don't feel like I'm shilling one movie more than any other.

I watched and LOVED that movie. Black Phillip did nothing wrong.

Every /hor/ror general thread has that movie in the OP pic.

Really? I'm OP and I'll admit that movie isn't AMAZING by any extent. It's just good if you happen to be in the mood for the found-footage crap.

I don't visit Sup Forums too often except to argue over why Sansa hasn't killed herself yet.

only good part of movies like this are the endings

the rest is happy days doing le job talky talk. fuck off.

I felt it ended too quickly on that note. They spent too much time jerking around in the church and too little time exploring what this otherworldy god was capable of.

The most interesting part of the movie was practically ignored.

I recently watched this.

Fuck what an abomination this was.

And to think I had faith that Hollywood could capture some of the magic of slendy.

Putting your faith in Jews

Zalgo > Slender

Yeah my mistake is clear to me now.

Holy fuck, no reference to the original lore, no reference to creepy trees and shit, no talk of interdimensional beings, no bleek faceless horror, no nods to the source material, no nothing.

Just one 2 hour fuck-up.

I have rarely felt I've wasted my time as effectively as when I sat through The Tall Man.

Why can't Lovecraft be converted into horrorkino?

Only a handful of movies even attempted and not ONE of them got it right.

Haven't seen the sequel, but this was pretty good.

A lot of potential but also a lot of potential to fuck up real bad considering all the layers. I think the first step would be a realization of the Navidson Record.

It would be hard to pull off but just imagining the scene where Navidson first enters the void gives me goose bumps.

Honestly it probably wouldn't work as a film, too good for the medium

Been meaning to get around to this one.

Where does the time go?

I never go on /lit/ but if they hate on House of Leaves it's clearly some contrarian shit

Literally just about a guy who's 6ft

Still infuriates me, as it was actually teased to be Hollywoods take on Slendercunt too.

They promised us tall and scary that kidnapped children who went into the woods and did all sorts of sick shit to them.

Instead we got this mediocre mess.

I'm still mad.

Don't hate it, hate all the praise it gets for being ground breaking, Sure it's novel and a half decent story but it's main pull is how it's presented.

>manlets will never understand the burden of too much puss

Hello fanservice.

Here's an unpopular opinion.

The first Silent Hill movie was actually not bad.

Come at me.

Everyone agrees it wasn't that bad but when it first came out it wasn't want we wanted.

I don't know, it was kinda' what I wanted. They paid homage to the fucked up town, the crazy cult, the mines, little winks to the games here and there.

Hell the fact that they contracted acrobats to walk around as some of the more twisted humanoid creatures was a neat idea.

The second one shat all over it and turned it into an action movie (God help us).

Just another clear-cut case of the director really not knowing what a people actually liked in the original.

I agree that it could have been done much, MUCH, better, but what we got didn't deserve all the shit people kicked up over it.

The second one deserves all the scorn you can come up with though.

Don't
It's pretty fucking bad

>little winks to the games here and there
That was the main problem i had with the movie. They just threw shit in from all over the franchise which didn't make any sense in regards to the story they were telling.
It's still a decent horror movie but not a great adaptation.

There's an evil mirror that causes someone's death, Kid gets blamed and put in an asylum
Years later Sister find mirror at auction and takes it to her house, tells brother to come round, They record the mirror to see it do spooky shit, It does and they die through their own failures; The story is told from two perspectives, The past and the present, it switches between the two every 10-15 minutes

>House Of Leaves
My nigga. Great stuff.

I remember Danielewski saying something about it being a satire of literary criticism, and I always thought it could work well as a movie if it tried to do the same thing for film.

Thing is every time it's been shopped around to studios they just want to do a Paranormal Activity ripoff of the Navidson Record.

Okay.

Did someone say spoopy

>my dude
Kys redditor

Jesus Christ that's horrific. Can you imagine actually having a skeleton inside you?

Fuck don't even say that man. I heard a story once saying skeletons were real.

That's what The Borderlands is called in the US? That was surprisingly good for found footage, the ending was messed up.

Anyhow, Lord of Illusions. People shit on it for some reason, possibly because they hated the casting for D'armour but I really like it.

Does the title keep changing ?

I thought it was titled the Borderlands.

Pretty comfy movie, same vein as Noroi the curse.

I was entertaining Senpai-san. Ending was a little queer because of the "power was inside me all along"

That's Wishmaster right?
Are the sequels worthwhile? Only ever watched the first one.

Two of the best I've seen lately are Pontypool and Yellow Brick Road.

>having a skeleton inside you

But then where would your organs go?

how beautiful

Halfway through the book.

It's not scary at all. The writing is different, each character having their own style or writing and specific errors or phrases they use. I guess that's nice.

Overall felt like it was overrated. I suppose it's one of those books where you either love it or hate it.

I'll just go read House on the borderlands.

Wishmaster 1&2 were great for really creative deaths.

2 is worthwhile, anything beyond that is total shit.

1 and 2 are incredibly entertaining. Are they good movies? Definitely not, but they're worth your time, made with love and with the purpose of entertaining you. The guy that plays the Djinn's human form is GOAT and the deaths are very creative. Wishmater 3 and 4 are trash, as in, boring as fuck. The deaths are lackluster and are all around a dull miserable time. Although 4 does have a hilarious out of nowhere decapitation scene. Worth watching that scene on Youtube desu.

Isn't good horror supposed to NOT be comfy

the dude who wrote martyrs (which is actual horrorkino, fuck people who think it's edgy) wrote this movie

such a disappointment

>did the supernatural element way better
Considering The Descent didn't have any supernatural elements whatsoever, that's not saying much.

Anyway, AASB had a great premise and setting, but they fucked it up hard. I don't know how you can have so little atmosphere in the fucking Paris catacombs. So much of it was color-by-numbers clichés. What a letdown.

You obviously haven't seen The Shining.

Dagon was actually a good interpretation of Shadow Over Innsmouth. Check it out if you've never seen it. Hot wincest too

Pontypool is the best.

If you've read the Inferno part of the divine comedy it gets slightly better because you can appreciate some of the references.

Stake Land getting a sequel

Frankenstein from last year is pretty good.

Agreed