I am not American

I am not American.
So i dont quite know how your election system works.

But every where i hear that Hilldog got the most votes.
Yet, Trump still won because of some electoral college or something?
What the hell does this mean?
Please enlighten me Americans.

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2012/11/defending_the_electoral_college.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump.

I want to know about this too and am too lazy to Google it read boring pages. TL;DR it for me.

The people don't decide the president; the votes are basically a suggestion for your state's electoral college on who to vote for, and the number of votes for each state is based on population

The public doesn't get to choose the president
The electoral college does. Our votes are something like suggestions from each state

This. It sounds crazy but it means even small states have an influence on the election, otherwise every candidate would just tour New York and California and ignore the rest of America.

But this sounds crazy.
So the college decides for a whole state?
And when you say college. You mean college like a school??

Every state has so many "votes" based upon population. So small states have 2-5 votes while big areas like California have 55. Trump won more states so he ended up winning the electoral college. We are a republic anyone that thinks we are a democracy are idiots. He won major states that were usually liberal to win this election. Her main supporters are in NY and cali, both high density population of black and inner city poor people. That's a big majority of her voters. She won if I remember right only 18 of the 50 states. Only 3 of those actually had much votes. Cali at 55 outweighs half the U.S

It's more like a committee
Don't ask me why it's called a college because I don't know

And all you do is screaming ''MUH FREEDOM'' at people.

This is ironic, regardless of which faggots sits on the thron- I mean presidental seat.

Ah okay i see.
Sounds a bit crazy. But i guess it makes sence.
Thanks for the replies.

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

If we actually let our citizens decide the president, to explain it simply, our country is comprised more of under-informed, lazy people who would rather turn the tv on and form an opinion based on what they see and hear rather than do actual research and form their own opinion. Hence why the electoral college (which by the way is comprised of people that each state picks themselves) can go with the popular vote in their state, or go against it. TL;DR IF WE LET THE RETARDS THAT ARE EASILY PERSUADED BY MEDIA VOTE, WE WOULD BE FUCKED

Popular vote is total vote count.

To understand the electoral college you must understand that the USA is a very big place, and different states have different industries are cultures. Electoral college is set up to make sure a population dense voting bloc like Texas or California can't screw over non-population dense places like Alaska. Electoral college is a balance against democracy of the mob.

Everyone here is idiots easy explination and I'm not even American
each state has an electoral number the number is based on population so for example Cali has 55 electoral number vs Florida's 29 Hillary got the most votes but failed to get the electoral number required to be president which 270 which means Donald trump won more states

Because we as Americans have accepted the fact that we don't have the right to elect our officials. So instead, a group of pretty much unidentified people tell us who we need as president. Isn't America great?

Are people so retarded they pretend this never happened before? People forget bush vs gore already

The biggest problem with this system is so many people do not get accurate representation. I believe the fix to this would be to get rid of the winner take all system and split the votes of each state based upon the % of each candidate. Like Florida was split 51%-49% I think those 20 something votes should be split between both candidates to make it more accurate and fair

This guy is right

/thread

This.

Everyone is saying shillary deserves to win because she got less than 1% more of the popular vote than trump. Big fuckin whoop. Bush had like 4% less pop vote and still won.

This is what happens when a fresh generation of public schooled teens get the right to vote after growing up almost exclusively under Obama and not knowing two shits about actual political process.

>Not American
Fucking faggot sucks Muslim cocks
Kek

If anyone is truly interested in why we have an electoral college, read this article. Yes, it's lengthy.

slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2012/11/defending_the_electoral_college.html

youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

If we make elections by votes practically the faggots in new york and california will decide for the entire country every time.

But aren't they the majority? Isn't that the point of democracy?

The problem again then becomes you only tour/cater to population dense areas. I would say break it up by the house districts (although you'd still have to figure out how to deal with gerrymandering crap).

The US isn't a democracy though. It's a republic.

well. there a big problem there, when people live in in big cities the tendency is to adapt to the same way of thinking this will create a union of persons with the same ideals crush and control those in other places that dont share the same ideas creating conflict and civil war.
It is like Mexico will vote for the rights of Texas, texas would be like those faggots dont even live here and they are deciding for us.

ho my bad here is the reply

proportionate reprsentation is something people here in teh UK have been pushing for for a long time, but our 'democracy' (and yours too it seems) is geared towards a one party majority and not a plurality of parties having to compromise.

The electoral college is a system that gives it's votes based on how the population voted, it isn't a suggestion. If you win the popular vote of a state, you win the electoral votes from that state.
The number of Electoral votes a state gets is based on how many members that state has in the House of Representatives, which in turn is based on the population.

Why is this what we use in America?
Fuck if i know, im still pissed i can't vote from my phone.
Crazy ain't it? And it still has more freedom than any other country in the world, dark times man.

So people in California are less important than people in Alaska?

To be fair, id call us a "Democratic Republic".

Yes and no
Alaska only had 3 votes in electoral.
So if you vote red in alaska your vote.matters. if you vote red in Cali you wasted your vote as it won't be red.

Basically popular vote at the state level- win the state, win the electoral votes for the state.

Typically that's how it is, though in some occasions the electoral college decides regardless of what the popular vote says

That is what we are, too.many think we are a democracy which is much different than a democratic republic. Lots of people are protesting and getting violent over the fact they can't accept that we are a republic from them being uninformed and ignorant. This is why if we went off popular vote we would be screwed.

When you vote in a presidential election you are voting for who you want your state's electorate votes to go to. Thus the popular vote means nothing

this is the correct answer

The US is huge, with many disparate populations and sub-cultures

We have these huge cities that have their own sub-culture; then we have these small rural towns with their own ideas

Overheard a couple snotty college kids talking yesterday(calif). They were under the delusion wisconsin determined the election (despite trump's landslide, including former blue states). "who the fuck cares what people in wisconsin think" both had a little derisive giggle in their arrogance.

THAT is why we have the electoral college

It is not the first time this has happened, America is not a democracy. It is as simple as that.

Okay, dumbass, but under the current system the vote of some hick in Wyoming matters more than a normal person's vote.

i dont know if this is a joke or if you seriously are rearded...

Definition of a Republic: A republic (from Latin: res publica) is a sovereign state or country[1] which is organized with a form of government in which power resides in elected individuals representing the citizen body.

Definition aof a Democracy: Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία, Dēmokratia literally "rule of the commoners"), in modern usage, is a system of government in which the citizens exercise power directly or elect representatives from among themselves to form a governing body, such as a parliament.

And this is why Trump won. contrasts like "Some hick in Wyoming" and "a normal person". That'd be like referring to all the fluffy-heart brigade as cop-killers.

a republic is by definition a democracy

You're proving my point

Arrogant cultural elitists in densely populated cities tend to have similar views, making the density of votes from that region outweigh differing opinions from other sub-cultures around the nation that might be more sparsely populated

I live in LA, by the way... I just know how important that every voice is heard

The votes aren't even all in yet and cnn projects trump will also win the popular vote.

That's called .. Get this...

The popular vote.

Learn to math

Bump for interest

The number of people per Congressman is uneven from state to state.
Each state gets one electoral college vote per Congressman
Some people are not represented as heavily as others despite all having but one vote.

Oh boyo I just pick up litter. I wish I knew how it worked

Representative Democracy.
I actually paid attention in school.

Google, "Electoral College" nigger

>And it still has more freedom than any other country in the world

Its weird that people believe that, but I dont suppose you travel much

You talking about this picture?
It's because they excluded several states that went red.

When this country firat started we had low literacy rates therefore used an electoral college to select the president.

We havent changed it because we r retarded.

End of story.

Your definition proved what he said...

The electoral was made to stop mob rule

Definitely

3 days ago like 90% of the country was in agreement that the electoral system is shit and needs to be removed. Today only like 50% agree I think.

We want whats best for the country, but most people only experience themselves. Thats why in my opinion the electoral college still matters.