Tfw you grew up constantly reading Grimm fairy tales

>tfw you grew up constantly reading Grimm fairy tales
>Germany seemed like this mysterious, magical wonderland
>even now you can't help but wonder what lurks in the depths of the Black Forest

Southern Germany seems like the comfiest place on Earth. If a bit scary.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7M2DibKLs3k
youtu.be/wfUGtfpYzCM
youtube.com/watch?v=ehNGoyMf9kU&t=2952s
youtube.com/watch?v=UJH1dg51PoI
youtube.com/watch?v=DKnee0msTCA
youtube.com/watch?v=BIhrtqdi1EQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zqamJZ3Jiy4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwedentrunk
econotimes.com/Human-Life-Could-Be-Extended-Indefinitely-Study-Suggests-531409
smithsonianmag.com/innovation/have-scientists-found-way-to-actually-reduce-effects-aging-180961808/
arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/mouse-lifespan-heart-health-extended-by-common-chemical/
mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article24587203.html
blueba.de/Rundgang_Märchen.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bavaria best Germany

>even now you can't help but wonder what lurks in the depths of the Black Forest

Bavaria is really cool, it has the Neuschwanstein, it's my favourite castle in the whole world. It looks like its from a literal fairy tale.

I meant like Rumplestilskin or wolves.

Protipp: Visit Berchtesgaden is you ever go to Bavaria. Extremely comfy town, extremely nice surrounding. Kinda expensive though.

Arent eastern european fairytales just as interesting? Your mother should have read you hungarian tales too.

Iraqis and nigerians

t. Adolf

This. Southern Germany before the founding of Germany seems like the most romantic place.
youtu.be/7M2DibKLs3k

Where in Germany do I go to find women who haven't sucked Syrian cock?

The cemetery

kek

thread song

youtu.be/wfUGtfpYzCM

ayy

It's not Bavaria. Most of the stories originated in middle Germany around the Harz and the Brocken region and around Saxony. Lot's of poets came from there.

Looks beautiful, good taste user

>Arent eastern european fairytales just as interesting?
Mehhh. Sort of, but they're not really ours. We don't have many Hungarian fairytales, mostly just Slav ones we borrowed, and forgot they were Slav in the first place.
The most recognizable character is the Witch with the Iron Nose (Slavs call her Baba Yaga) and her magical castle that stands on a duck leg and spins. (originally chicken legs) In Hungary she's the mother of a dragon with 7 heads, who when he comes home will want to devour the adventurer. Though if he greets the Witch politely and respects her, she becomes a motherly figure and saves the hero or gives him good advice. Sometimes she's very evil though.

Other than that we have some tales about the King and his 3 daughters/sons (usually the smallest one is the smartest and protagonist), about Fae, or the Shepherd with eyes that twinkle like stars. That last one is definitely Hungarian I think.
I just think German fairy tales are more magical I guess.

this is the Hexentanzplatz from the Walpurgisnacht in Goethes stories.

This is what Wolfgang must've felt.

youtube.com/watch?v=ehNGoyMf9kU&t=2952s

youtube.com/watch?v=UJH1dg51PoI
Theres a bunch of stuff on you tube.

Wikipedia claims you have some uralic shaman influence in your folklore, you might want to look into 20th century folklorists/romantics. These often collected some quiet obscure tales of which just a few made it to popularity, the brother Grimm were also of this kind, there should be a hungarian equivalent whom might have collected some interesting stuff.
I remember watching cheesy DDRmade fairytale shows as a child, cozy af.

>ambient
nice, have this
youtube.com/watch?v=DKnee0msTCA
You like dungeonsynth?
youtube.com/watch?v=BIhrtqdi1EQ

Rumpelstielzchen actually came from Czechia. We have lots of shared fairytales and stories. Also, about Rübezahl the giant which I remember having a czech name too.

>I remember watching cheesy DDRmade fairytale shows as a child, cozy af
best fairytale cutie
youtube.com/watch?v=zqamJZ3Jiy4

Did you know that the Grimm fairy tales were heavy edited. Like, really heavily edited. The original Grimm fairy tales supposedly are orgies in gore and violence and horrible deaths happening to mostly children.

That looks a very ominous looking.

>Wikipedia claims you have some uralic shaman influence in your folklore
Some probably. Also a lot of Turkish stuff, Hungarians were living alongside them before 800 A.D. But we're mostly Slavs deeply in denial. We adopted our conquerors culture and language, but they went extinct, leaving with us their history and knowledge, but not their genetics. Did you know our word for blue - kék - kök is shared with Kazakhs? Even after 1500 years we separated from them. It's strange.

Anyway, our shamanic influence comes from adult stories not fairy tales. Like the tale of the White Stag and how it guided us - them - to Pannonia. The World Tree or Tree of Life that touches the sky it is so tall, the moon, sun and stars are in its boughs, and its roots are in the underworld.
Overall we seemed really fond of celestial motifs.

Read below the junipertree.
Includes infanticide, cannibalism of relatives and resurrection of the dead in return for sacrifiece.

>very fond of celestial signs
Heavenly trips confirm.
Id be focussed more on the heaven then the earth too if id came from a steppe flatland.

>implying you can divide fairy tales into German fairy tales and Slavic fairy tales
What the hell are you guys on about?
We're talking about folk stories that most probably predate all of our countries. Every sausage cunt has its share of spooky stories about forest-dwelling child-eating witches, aside from some local twists there isn't anything unique about them.

The Grimm brothers only collected old folktale and wrote them down back then, when not everybody could read or write.

I read a story, which got removed from their book. It was about a little sparrow, who saw his dog friend die. He got killed driven over from a horse carriage. Consequently the sparrow killed everybody and the last one by flying in his throad and killing the erpetrator from inside.

They didn't go extinct, it's still there. All 1% of it.

Are you trolling m8? I meant that someone saw a quick buck by toning down the violence and selling the books to children.

The Grimmbrothers only edited the version for the citydwelling buyers of their talebooks though, they also wrote a lot about it from an academic stance so it is not lost.

There are some "ur-myths" which differ and only blend sporadically, where it gets really fascinating is when you get into the linguistic aspect of it, compare the many stories as the academically minded folklorists did and discover hidden religious motives which survived in the subconciousness of the locals such as ancestor worship and some of the gods/local spirits in which people unironically believed in many parts of europe way into the 19th century were you got hillybillys in westphalia kneeling before certain bushes to apologise to the bushwoman with a short poem if they took some of the plant.

I know. Some Grimm stories were very dark even edited as they were. To date I'm still terrified of wolves, thanks to Red riding hood, and that goat mother and its 7 young kids.

Oh totally. Hungarians traveled across half a continent to go from living in steppes....and settle in another, smaller steppe. Simply genius.

But yeah, one advantage is the unobstructed view of the sky. Sometimes it's so close, you feel like if you reached out, you could touch it. That said, I kinda wish I lived in the mountains with lots of evergreen trees, like your German lands. Just for a little while. The neighbors' yard is always greener and all that, I guess.

I'm pretty sure there's at least 1% Asian genes even in everyone in Europe user. Or do you have any evidence to prove the contrary?

It was different times and it was considered normal in the past, they were not crazy. Just read some old literature and you find lots of these examples. Also, in the past you read scary stories for your children, so they behave and don't do bad things otherwise the crazy giant gets them in the forest and kills them.

>The original Grimm fairy tales supposedly are orgies in gore and violence and horrible deaths happening to mostly children.
I don't really get when and why that weird idea that children shouldn't be informed about death and violence became mainstream.
Anyone who spent more than a day taking care of a small child knows well that kids are fucking cruel and far less sensitive than adults. They can handle brutal stories without any problems.
I'd even say that, if anything, it's NOT telling a kid about nasty stuff that may have a bad influence on him.

Victorian morale of the small middleclass was extremely prude for a while to distinguish themselves maybe from the peasants who were still much differently.

>where it gets really fascinating is when you get into the linguistic aspect of it, compare the many stories as the academically minded folklorists did and discover hidden religious motives which survived in the subconciousness of the locals
This is something that fascinates me as well.
Recently I got my hands on picrel. It's an old compilation of folk stories some guy wrote down while wandering between backwater villages of Poland. The stories are often very simplistic or inconclusive, but there's some primal charm about them.

Most of the famous grimm tales where not of German origin anyway

>Also, in the past you read scary stories for your children, so they behave and don't do bad things otherwise the crazy giant gets them in the forest and kills them.

Nothing like permanently scarring your own children psychologically in the name of discipline am I right :^)

Anyway, most of those stories did impart wisdom to them. Don't wander into the forest. Don't stray from the path, if you do have to walk somewhere unattended. Wolves and strangers are dangerous. Be kind. Be humble. Try to think things through. And these are just off the top of my head.
Seems like common sense, but to kids these small bits of advice could be very helpful. And they remember stories much better than if their mother warns them about something like don't do this or that.

Well it depends on their age. Like I said, there's no point scarring them for life. I think people should warn them about these things, but do so with tact. Such as fairy tales.

Yep, they were stolen by German missionaries from the Ayogeepshun tribe in West Africa.

Germans don't have any culture this is why they had to take fairytales from other countries just liek how they had to copy French architecture in the 19th century so that they could pretend that they had an actual architectural legacy.

>scarring them for life
But my point is that brutal fairy tales can't scar them for life. A story is just a story.

Some of the ominous bits of German forests weren't even for kids, the Romans used to be terrified of the dark forest thinking there were mad barbarians who performed human sacrifice, witches, and demons in them
Not to mention they were only good fighters in open ground when they could utilize their formations, whereas in the winding paths in the forest they were a lot more vulnerable

>fairytales from other countries
>implying that what grannies tell their grandchildren has anything to do with made up lines on the map
nice meme

Its amazing just how fucking long such motives stick in peoples heads.
My homecity was founded by romans around 50 AD with a settlement being ther before who "adopted" a germanic tribe and created a germano-roman mix culture there with other peoples from abroad also inhabitating the city.
There was a well, which got a temple on top, it was christianised by making it a church very early around 500AD and then the area shifted back and forth during migrations and wars.
Still after all those years of immigration and emigration, cultural and religious change people said that you should be christened in that fucking well up into the 1920s for becoming truly a part of the city, with the water saying to be good for bearing children.
There was another story tied to the well, saying that the unborn souls would be guarded by the virgin mary.
Some kilometres away, in Hessen, there is a lake where the people believed that miss Holle would guard the unborn souls in the same way.
The youth used to go to the lake to sing certain songs at night which would grant good fortune and childbirth.
Miss Holle was likely some germanic godess.
This is over 2000 years of oral transmission of a story where a woman watches over your future child in a pond whose water is good for you. The same goes for many other things, espeacially in rural areas.

Nice meme as well, but this time I mean it in the actual sense of the word

Most of these stories come from the Harz mountains and the surrounding forests. The Harz always has been a mythical place where old shamans long before the age of christ met. It was the main hub of pagan folklore back then. And later they burned witches there.

Are you retarded?

They were, albeit many fairytales had general central european equivalents as they were not bound by geography but people.

>I'm pretty sure there's at least 1% Asian genes even in everyone in Europe user.

my23andme has no asian genes and I imagine the same is true for 90% of Europeans desu

We can only wonder how long and over how many generations the myth of Spurdo will prevail in the internet and if there will be internet memelogists in 500 years researching its origin.

>many fairytales had general central european equivalents as they were not bound by geography but people.
t h i s

Even the concept of collecting and writing down folk stories as fairytales where not initiated by the Germans. But by a Frenchman, Charles Perrault who wrote down little red riding hood, cinderella and the sleeping beauty. He did this 100 years before the Grimm brothers copied them.

What specific fairytale to you claim to be stolen?

also this

i love spooky medival stories aswell

Do turks have similar stories like these?

Not stolen, just copied, red riding hood, cinderella and little briar rose (sleeping beauty) where all written down by Charles Perrault 100 years before Grimm.

You seem to be joking, but you shouldn't be
picrel

While a part of the sources where french, the bulk were german. Collections include but are not limited to those of:
Hassenpflugs as hessian family.
Philipp Otto Runge a north german painter
Friederike Mannel Another Hessian

You have no idea. I'm digitalizing a newspaper from the 1900's at my workplace. I always imagined those people being stuck up weirdos, like you see them in the photos? But once you start reading about their thoughts and stories, it's remarkable how identical they were to us 100 years later. In fact, there are stories in that newspaper about the 1848 and earlier, so you feel that connection going back even further.
One thing I can summarize is that: nothing ever changes. Least of all people. They act the same regardless of the age they're in. In a way it's good, in a way it's bad. We've developed, but we aren't as different as we'd like to believe. I read stories 100 years old that people of our town still do. It's like, history is constantly repeating itself. Because people have short lives, and they forget. So certain patterns always re-emerge.

Anyway, to me, personally it was really strange, almost scary. Realizing that people 100 and 200 years ago were thinking exactly like we do, even if they weren't as advanced in tech. It made me realize just how fast time really flies.

No one cares about the Germen tales,it is the non German ones that got popular.

Where is your butthurt coming from mate?
Is it our fault that your country was stuck in the stone ages?

Also, pic related was found here on these places where old shamans told their stories. Is it now stolen from sweden?

>Anyway, to me, personally it was really strange, almost scary. Realizing that people 100 and 200 years ago were thinking exactly like we do
To me much scarier is that in a thousand years from now they'll probably still think and feel like we do

Neat!
Are you working in an archive?

Why scary tho?
It seems scarier to imagine them altered beyond recognition because they decided to become genetically engineered cyborgchimeras drifting through outerspace.

I agree. It just goes to show that trying to change the world is futile, because nothing ever goes differently. Same shit, different time.
On the other hand it's..nice. Feeling kinship with people before and after us. It's like we're all a big family. Fucked up and suffering from ADHD, but a family regardless.

>Why scary tho?
Because it makes me realize how miserably short human lifespan is

Yea.. that kinda sucks.
But you are still young right?

>Is it our fault that your country was stuck in the stone ages?

it is your fault that Europe became shit

>Is it now stolen from sweden?

Sweden is a frozen shithole, nothing good have come from here, aside from that time we made you Germs eat shit. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwedentrunk

You're luck my friend. In ~10 or 20 years we'll have cured aging.

econotimes.com/Human-Life-Could-Be-Extended-Indefinitely-Study-Suggests-531409

smithsonianmag.com/innovation/have-scientists-found-way-to-actually-reduce-effects-aging-180961808/

arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/mouse-lifespan-heart-health-extended-by-common-chemical/

>little red riding hood
>german

REEEEEEEE

I assume everyone here is 20-30 years old
Think about it, just 3 or 4 more rounds like the one you had so far and you will cease to exist. And that's only if you're lucky and won't get killed by something earlier.
>tfw you will be the last generation of humans with dead grandpas and grandmas

The tales simply represented the brutal reality of another age. In our comfortable times we forget just how brutalized and used to violence, disease, starvation and death medieval people probably were, and it's from those times most of these old stories stem.

Not linguistics, but archeologists during a road constroction project dig out a bend in the road and foound the remains of a bronze age farm. For 3000 years no one had lived in that spot. But custom passed on through millennia made people take an unneccessary turn.

Custom is a very powerful force.

I seriously count on scientists slowing down aging. For us Euros it'd mean our economy would stop falling apart because we wouldn't need to finance a growing number of pensioners anymore, nor rely on immigrants to boost our economy.

Plus I have no plans of growing old. They say Báthory Erzsébet used to bathe in the blood of virgins to remain forever young, and would you look at that, it turns out she was right all along.
I just need to catch a few Slovaks :^)

"The origins of Spurdo, a treatise on the ancient Finns and their contacts with the wider world"

Wasn't there some south German collages they up until early 20tj century still carved T-runes above the door to wars from thunder and evil?

In remote parts of Sweden they still had myths of "an old grey, one-eyed wanderer" almost into living memory. In some places even runes.

>mei Hitler hat uns nicht auf unsren Berg gelassen
Bauern, allesamt Bauern

>tfw always left the room when they would read fairytales in Kindergarten because it made me feel uncomfortable
I guess im a faggot

>Karl der Große
>french
Reeee

In north germany there was a village were people hung the cut out uterus of a butchered sow in a tree for the crows and uttered some rhime about a big guy called wod.
They stopped it in the 60s.

In Romania some guy actually digged out a dead body from his grave and struck a pile in his heart cause he thought he was a vampire
That was in 2011 or so

didnt he burned the heart and consumed the ash with his family too?

Actually he did
mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article24587203.html

Saxons were always bro-tier. That ritual sounds a lot like the midwinterblot at Uppsala, where they sacrificed to Oden by hanging animals(and people) from greed.

I find it especially cool with these small fragments of old pre-Christian religion.

Romanians hate vampires but love Vlad Dracula because of what he did to Turks. Funny.

There is a sort of amusement park where I live that is built in the garden of an old palace and everything is fairytale themed.
Like you'll sit on a boat and it will drive by replicas of scenes of fairy tales and then you'll enter the mouth of a whale and in there you will hear Geppetto and Pinnocchio talk.

And there's a cave where you enter and you'll see a sandnigger boy trapped amongst gold and jewels and if you rub on a lamp a genie will appear and tell him that he has three wishes.

It's pretty fucking great and I'm 24

>people in 2500 AD will be saying AYO HOL UP SO U BE SAYIN WE WUZ SOME MARINEZ N SHIET

>that word square
ROMA
O
M
A

Holy shit

>mfw reading up about her
Even if half of it is not true, Jesus Christ, what the fuck.

Sounds cool. How is it called?

It's not really that weird considering that it was an Irish writer that connected the myth of vampirism with Dracula. The myth was there a long time before him, and it's not like Dracula was the only one to impale his enemies. And I think you'd find plenty of medieval tortures and execution methods that make impaling seem pretty humanitarian by comparison.

Blühendes Barock in Ludwigsburg

blueba.de/Rundgang_Märchen.html