Rolling Stone's 11 Best Movies of 2016 So Far!

>"This year's pickings are, well, slimmer. Amid the furor over the degrees of suckitude in Batman v Superman, the lack of laughs delivered by Kevin Hart in Ride Along 2 and Central Intelligence, and the franchise fatigue brought on by Alice Through the Looking Glass, X-Men: Apocalypse, Zoolander 2, The Huntsman: Winter's War, and The Divergent Series: Allegiant, a few goodies did manage to poke through the sludge. Here's the best of 2016 so far:"

Captain America: Civil War
Deadpool
De Palma
Everybody Wants Some
The Fits
Hail, Caesar
The Jungle Book
Love & Friendship
Sing Street
The Witch
Zootopia
rollingstone.com/movies/news/11-best-movies-of-2016-so-far-20160621?page=4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l9dEZ0hRlF4
fandor.com/keyframe/the-best-films-of-2016-so-far
youtube.com/watch?v=TqTo_r6WAoE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They were all shit though

>The Witch
>Zootopia
>Hail, Caesar

Worth watching, but so far it's been a pretty weak year for movies. Naturally, I blame capeshit

Disgusting list. All terrible soulless Hollywood flicks, where's the art?

They got Hail, Caesar and Everybody Wants Some right. Everything else on that list is shit.

Marvel and Disney won.

ayy what a bunch of plebs

>Marvel 2
>DC 0

Sounds about right.

>Deadpool
so glad they leaked the test footage

Indeed

>"Captain America: Civil War
The year's best popcorn flick to date is one of the few films of 2016 to break the sequel jinx. The Russo brothers, Joe and Anthony, actually know how to get us caught up in the feud between the Cap (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr,) and bring in Marvel's Avengers — only the Hulk and Thor are MIA — to take sides. Lesson to Hollywood suits only in it for milking a franchise: If you build the damn thing right, they will come."

Damn right

>Talks about franchise fatigue
>Lists Civil Bore on the top of their list

Just fucking kill me aleady

Marvel wins DCuck

Rolling Stone's 11 Best Movies of 2016
>Captain America: Civil War
>Deadpool
>De Palma
>Everybody Wants Some
>The Fits
>Hail, Caesar
>The Jungle Book
>Love & Friendship
>Sing Street
>The Witch
>Zootopia

Truly the greatest of times.. what an era

youtube.com/watch?v=l9dEZ0hRlF4

now the cover of rolling stones
aint the cover of rolling stones

Amerifats are literally unable to see anything beyond their borders

Fucking figures this would be the music of choice for a DCuck.

Slit your wrists faggot.

Nice Guys is better than Zootopia on all levels, but its a solid list of good movies.

Kill yourself nigger. Fuck you and your mom. I hope you get raped by an african in a mouse costume. Hope all the kikes in Disney collectively jizz on your face and you drown from their hot boiling mayonnaise going in through your neck and blocking your lungs so that your last act on earth is gurgling semen from the sweaty balls of wrinkly old jews. You deserve to be beheaded by the cartel, but not before getting buttfucked by a horse and a Sumo wrestler simultaneously. Your dad can watch. He wont be allowed to join in though because then you might start actually enjoying it cause its one of your favorite past times- getting railed on the ass by your dad. Fuck you.

Most of the DC & Marvel movies are complete shit.

I loved reading the comics, but the movies are just awful.

Holy fuck

Are they serious with this?

>no Green Room

Civil War
Dead Pool
Jungle Book
Zootopia

All pretty solid in my opinion.

fandor.com/keyframe/the-best-films-of-2016-so-far

The patrician version.

No Home Movie
Hail, Caesar
Demon
Neon Bull
The Measure of a Man
Everybody Wants Some!!
The Wailing
Knight of Cups
De Palme

So, how many have you seen?

What an infinitely better list

>First two movies on the list are capeshit

Discarded.

The first half of every year suck.

It's a dumping ground for films studios have no faith in or Oscar bait that wasn't quite good enough peppered with the occasional big blockbuster until i June there's a deluge of summer blockbusters.

Second half of the year as we get towards the end and films that consider themselves Oscar contenders get released we see a better selection but even considering that, 2016 has been total shit for films.

I haven't seen one movie in cinemas this year. There's been nothing released I believe is worth my money.

When the fuck can I see De Palma?

it's a "Sup Forums acts like it's better than mainstream movies, yet they're the only thing that's ever discussed on Sup Forums" episode

>The Witch
>Everybody Wants Some

2/10 is something I guess

>Captain America: Civil War

How do we stop disney bros?

the attempts at art get released in the autumn these days. I'm hoping we'll at least get a well-cast attempt at Chekov's the Seagull before the year is out.

Stop audiences going to their movies. That would require another studio to produce something better which at this point seems unlikely. They don't make anything exceptional but they don't make duds either. They are going to dominate this year's box office.

Zootopia, Dory, Jungle Book, Civil War and Rogue One.

Couple others that might do well too.

Foreign films come to American markets several months, often even a year after their premiere in Europe

It' things like this that make you realize just how little power Sup Forums has over the outside world.

How worthless do you feel Sup Forums?

War with China desu. They'll reflexively ban any and all American media, and without Chink money propping them up they'll have to make movies for western audiences again, who are growing increasingly tired of endless sequels and reboots.

u should know thats meant to be greentexted u fag

>Knight of Cups
Wew lad. I hope this isn't a list of good movies.

Pleb, KoC may just be Malick's best. It's amazing

it's a list of movies from someone who doesn't care much if films are dramatically engaging, but buys into the idea of film as a visual rather than a storytelling form.

in other words a hipster

I won't deny that it might be one his best, since the bar is so damn low.

Malick has never made a bad film.

Did you not find Knightof Cups to be dramatically engaging? I found it painfully beautiful, a really emotional experience.

>Malik
>Film

Choose one. The last 30 minutes of Tree of Life had me audibly keking

>The Wailing
I want to see this film badly

There's so much more to film than narrative. Go watch a play if you just want a story; cinema is a visual medium that can manipulate time, color, shape, and motion. Ignoring this ability makes for sterile movies that are fucking boring to watch.

Your pea-sized brain didn't know how to handle it so you started laughing like a chimp. It's a common reaction among children and the mentally retarded to ideas and concepts that are so out of their depth that they seem incoherent

>Implying plays are merely narratives

KILL YOURSELF

Yeah the profundity of ham-fisted imagery overlayed on melodramatic music was lost on me.

pic related is where I completely lost it

>he uses the film/movie dichotomy
I know I'm dealing with a memester or a retard, but I won't be rude like the other guy. I'll say ToL was very moving to me, and I understand it won't appeal to every viewer, but to be completely unappreciative of everything Malick tries to do takes a very closed mind

>ham fisted imagery
I bet you haven't even scratched the surface of his visual story telling. What did you think of the use of the Sun in the context of water based settings?

Don't put words in mouth, that's not what I implied at all. I implied they usually place greater importance on narrative than films and lack the ability to manipulate image on a comparable level, not that narrative is the only trait they're known for.

>muh plato
>muh divine truth
overused and repetitive.

Overused where? When capeshit gets put on a best of anything list, it shows a clear lack of any complexity, or even an attempt at philosophy. Surely you'd rather sit through a perceived Malick failure than the bland movies that are mainstream now. Talk about repetitive.

Where is it that you see the ideas of Plato used so often in film? Please, I'd love to know

>melodrama is bad
>simple images are bad
a) You don't even know what film you're talking about. You've posted an image from Knight of Cups when the discussion topic was clearly The Tree of Life
b) You clearly don't understand the significance of the image you've posted, but you're whining about how obvious it was (while providing no explanation)

You may be trolling, but you're also a pseud, and you know it

We can definitely agree on our contempt for cape shit. But Plato/the Sun is a metaphor that's been used in film (and literature and theater and art etc.) forever. Which is fine, it's an important metaphor, but it was overdone and stale in ToL. In film the first that comes to mind is Blade Runner. In literature, The Stranger.

It's in Tree of Life senpai. Like the last fifteen minutes. And as for what it means, I have no idea. Some of the images felt ham-fisted, while others just misplaced.

Shit year

Alright, I can see that. What would you like to see in philosophical films? I feel Malick didn't just have "sun imagery". The use of tarot cards was very prominent and added another layer entirely. One shot that stands out was the Sun card sinking in the pool. Someone who has done more research could provide a much more compelling argument, but there's this repeated theme of ascending vs descending, and some ambiguity as to where water falls in the metaphor for lack a better word. Often times, as the main character drowns in the glamour of his lifestyle, we see things fall through water. But at the same time, he frequently returns to beaches. It's not clear that water is and indicator of good or bad. Sorry, I know those thoughts are jumbled, but I don't find those concepts common or shallow. Any films you'd recommend that handle similar concepts more effectively in your opinion?

Retard, your file name is literally "Knight of Cups Trailer". And you claim the ideas are ham fisted, yet you admit to not understanding them? Shit, put some thought into it. Malick is very smart and meticulous, he doesn't put in shots for the sake of looking pretty or just seeming deep. They do have a meaning, a purpose in his visual story.

>rollingstone

Literally could not give a flying fuck

Malick was a Heidegger scholar, so he's obviously a very smart guy who knows his stuff. In terms of films that deal with the "big" questions like ToL tries to do, 2001 A Space Odyssey is the best in my opinion. There you have a completely different angle though, with more Nietzschean themes than Malick's Christian spin.

This

>all that >HURR FATIGUE
>lists Civil War first

dumb Disney shills/ plebs with shit taste

So the Alice movie falls under franchise fatigue but the what, 14th, 15th Marvel movie doesn't?

I actually really like the new DC logo

The image is from ToL, but it was linked to an article about Knight of Cups, which is confusing so that's my bad. But it's in ToL. I'm sure Malik has a reason and wasn't just throwing shit in there. But if you watch the whole 30 minute sequence that ends the film, it just feels corny

Looks like a high school logo

And Sup Forums complains about console wars. This board is cancer

OK

Here, at 7:16
youtube.com/watch?v=TqTo_r6WAoE

>>Captain America: Civil War

You know, my bad, I do remember that shot from ToL now. But I definitely don't find the sequence cheesy. If anything, it's grown on me over the rewatches. Malick is extremely sincere, and as I allowed myself to be sucked in by the film, I saw the beauty of the end. When you're speaking so bluntly about topics as huge as love and spirituality, even the idea of eternity, it's hard not to seem "cheesy". But if you can put aside this stigma that has been placed on the exposed and vulnerable honesty that Malick expresses, it's a very powerful moment

Is this marvel vs dc shitposting ironic?

triggered pleb

It might just be a personal taste thing. But if you haven't seen 2001, give it a go senpai

kill yourself Sup Forums child

>manchild trying to upset people

just dogshit

>he thinks i like DC
Sup Forums is fucking retarded holy shit

>Having all this shit saved

I think you need to reevaluate your life, man

please just go back

Oh are you ? I thought it was two different people. Of course I've seen 2001, it's phenomenal. But on a imagery level, I just don't see how it compares. Everything in KoC matters, from the chapters to the women in them, each shot of water or palm trees, besides the fact I found the editing to be extremely reminiscent of memory or a dream, each shot comes at an important time and deals with "solar" symbolism, whatever that means to you. Beyond the concepts of the sun and moon, and what they stand for, we see a picking apart of not only the rich, empty lifestyle we see on the surface level, but the concepts of hedonism and masculinity. Many movies asks big questions, but KoC asks very specific questions, and does its best to answer. Nothing about this film do I see as overdone or not impressive

>something better

LMAO

But seriously, I meant how do we stop the obvious dominion they have over critics?

>IM3
>79%
>That high of a rating

That can't be correct. Did you shoop this?

Holy shit that was embarrasing

what do you think you're accomplishing? i doubt it's what you've convinced yourself.