Want to start a band

>want to start a band
>no friends
>everyone who already has a band already has a group around them, and I'd just be the 5th wheel
>plus everyone only plays shitty indie music

What am I supposed to do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4ky-DrP2-4k
clyp.it/w0kg3oqv
jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

desu?

Genre?

go solo

make music on your own?

Electronic post-hardcore.

I can't stand soloists, and I don't think I could stand being one. Being in a band makes the experience (and your music) better.

Listen to this guy. No use for a band anymore with today's technology.

>Bands suck.
>Everyone wants to be the leader.
>You will hate them in a month.

So, something like Crossfaith

well you should make some friends regardless of wanting to make music.

>Bands suck
Your taste is what sucks.

I'm not solo but if you can't find a band, it's an option

The band that I can best think of that represents what I'd like to sound like is youtu.be/4ky-DrP2-4k

No, I am not saying that bands that make music suck. I was generalizing that playing in groups and that the people that talent stands out carries the band. Hence, why i said that everyone wants to be a leader. Also, you probably listen to 21 pilots faggot.

Wait I dont understand

Whats wrong with having 5 people in a band?

Maybe he wants to make actual good music that requires some sort of school and not mediocre Soundcloud/Bandcamp tier ambient or noise.

FLStudio and Ableton were mistakes.

As a matter of fact I do.

>school

*skill

The fact that there are already 4 guys who know each other and are pals whereas I'm the odd man out socially.

rough day huh

Dude, I listen to NAILS, Nile, Pantera, Death, Arcade Fire, Joy Division, Peter Tosh, etc.

Do you not know how to make friends?

oh so youre autistic

None of those groups can be replicated with "today's technology."

DAWs aren't pixie dust.

That is why they are the past. It is time to anew of our genres and go.

>Wasn't saying guitar, bass, drums are expired.
>Saying recording software is the new thing.
>If you can play guitar you can:
>Play bass or drums=SOLO
>Also
>Nails is a modern band.

Dude, I am a classically trained Baritone (B.C) brass instrumentalist.

>Play bass or drums=SOLO

He won't be able to play bass or drums as well as someone who's dedicated themselves to the instrument.

"Gonna load up the Jaco, Stanley Clarke, Thundercat, Neal Peart plugins real quick!"

He can hire session musicians, though. But that's still sort of a band. And how about when he performs live?

No, I'm just not the most talented of musicians and have a lot to learn. If I'm trying to get better as a musician WHILE trying to prove myself as a competent band member, I want to at least be able to do it without established social circles in the group.

You don't have to have A Jaco, Lombardo, or John Pretucci to be considered good or make it. Fuck, a whole sub-genre was created because they could only play 3 power chords and in 4/4 or not and instrument at all like Sid Vicious.

So you should know that the tonality of DAW virtual instrument packages are shit, and will always be shit, no matter how good the tech gets, since any type of synthesized instrument has to be reliant on a amplifier and transducer. It's why Drum Machines sound like garbage compared to a real live drum kit (not that artificial drums can't work for certain types of music, but OP obviously wants to start a rock band, not a synthwave band).

Here's the questions if you're considering to decide to be in the band:

>Is it a hobby or your professional attribution you want?
>Are you good with sharing or adhering your ideas?
>Are you a dick?

An electronic synth band OP said.

>Fuck, a whole sub-genre was created because they could only play 3 power chords and in 4/4 or not and instrument at all like Sid Vicious.

But that genre's (punk) strength was its live performances.

Big part of rock in general is centered around live performance.

>Professional
>Yes
>No
Those are questions I didn't have to think twice on.

An electronic rock band.

Well, for me, making a band is hard to do. Most musicians that i played bashed my taste or wanted to play normie stuff like small minded shit like A7X. I wanted to play heavier shit and they wanted to be able to play better clubs. Fuck 'em.

This is why it's so hard. Why does nobody share my taste?

What do you hate so much about soloists?

That's definitely a big part of the battle, finding bandmates who gel with you. But if you find the right ones, they can take you and your music to another level, beyond what you can do individually.

But a lot of the problem is that "everyone wants to be leader," as you said. No one wants to do the "blue collar work" in a band anymore (your Ringos, Charlie Watts, John Entwhistles, etc).

That's the answer!
>Do it myself.

You might want to go the duo route. White Stripes, Ravonettes, Prinzhorn Dance School, etc.

Much easier to find one person who gels with you than 5. Then you just hire out the parts to session musicians who will "shut up and play."

>>no friends

if you stop being a weeaboo faggot problem solved

Fuck, I don't want watch anime or adhere to Japanese culture? Isn't that reason to be on this site to share ideas and things you like that you cant do with normal faggots?

that's not true, we still exist.
i want nothing to do with the lime light, i'm glad i'm stuck behind the drums.

The attention is on them rather than the music. Never heard a soloist where that wasn't the case. Plus I don't think I'd be able to shill out money every time I wanted to perform live.

>Never heard a soloist where that wasn't the case.

Why not be the first?

I wanna play solo shows but I can sing about as well as Jeff Mangum but I think I at least have spirit

you guys think I can do it?

Are you playing folk?

Then yes.

Okay, I like playing stuff like Elliott Smith and Sufjan so that's good.

Here's me playing "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" if you want to hear how I sound: clyp.it/w0kg3oqv

Have you tried transposing up or down to a more comfortable range?

Yeah, but I'm pitch-deaf to begin with so it doesn't really help. I'd probably be better off just working with someone else. Playing guitar, writing the lyrics, backing vocals etc.

How do you score on the tonedeaf test?

I've never taken it.

jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/

A lot of them were completely obvious, so I guess I'm not pitch-deaf. But when it comes to playing an instrument and singing, and singing in general, I just have such a hard time staying on tune. Like it's impossible for me not be slightly sharp or flat.

>be NYC
>literally the only option for me is if i found a band who needs a singer and at the same time wants to make weird sounding music that doesnt require a classically trained vocalist

>Like it's impossible for me not be slightly sharp or flat.

Well that's outside my knowledge at this point,[spoiler] as I have issues with this as well, [/spoiler] but you've got less to worry about than you initially thought. Shit, it's probably a breathing thing.

Hopefully you'll find some better advice. Oh, and take it easy.

Maybe you should properly train before becoming a musician?

Dont be a weeb, try talking to people

tfw i had most friends when i were a full on weeb and now when i went normie people just think im boring and rarely answer the phone

>it's impossible for me not be slightly sharp or flat.

do you have a mic? right click the speaker icon on your computer, click playback devices, double click your speakers, click the levels tab, and unmute your mic. you're now listening to yourself as your mic picks you up. this is what helped me with this.

m8 I've been playing guitar and singing off key for years. Believe it or not I was worse at one point.

The most fun I've ever had with music was playing it with my friends, the few times I had that opportunity. I just love playing and I want to follow that even if I'm trash