I need some personal insight from someone who live or has lived in St. Louis...

I need some personal insight from someone who live or has lived in St. Louis. I will be moving here with limited resources ie. No Uhaul or car, just whatever baggage I can bring with me on the train. 21/M with decent food-service experience (dishwasher, cook, server, baker, meat cutter) all of which for more than a year. I figure with 4,000$ in my pocket I can find housing and income in at least a month. I'll need to be able to get to belleville IL occassionaly to visit my significant other, but I dont have car insurance so transportation will be somewhat of a hangup. Anyone with advice or anything please I feel like Im in over my head.

Self bump

Ask nelly

Why are you doing this if you're putting yourself over your head man?
I'll be going to school there next fall at the latest but I've always lived across the river in Illinois so I don't know much about living there.

Nice
Im not sure, I think deep down Im ready to grow and I need this change, I have loved a girl there for what seems like forever to me now, and I need to be where she is

If you don't have to move here don't do it. Illinois is much nicer but has gun laws and blah blah blah. You might just want to move to Belleville. Tons of cheap housing that has is nice.

Stay away from east and north st louis or you will be murdered. At least one person is shot and killed here literally every night.

Illinois gun laws aren't bad, lots of people I know have assault rifles

Any apartments you would recomend in belleville? Im on foot so getting to wherever work is (probably resturaunts) will be a thing

Also I dont really give a fuck about gun laws, I dont have guns, and everything Im bringing Im bringing in one trip probably in a large suitcase

Not OP, but I've been there done that. And you're absolutely right.

One thing you WILL have to own here is a car. Public transportation doesn't really exist here. Metro link just basically goes to 2 places, bus lines are about useless as well. There is no getting around without your own car as people will get tired of you bumming rides real quick.

North side and the metro east are war zones- stay the fuck away at all costs.
If your S.O. Lives in Belleville get her out of there quick, Belleville is just a suburb of east St. Louis, trust me. There is No job there worth staying on the east side for . Not for any reason

so whats the question

If you are white, thin, in shape and cute I have a friend that you could stay with.

She is going to school there. Is east belleville as bad?

No way really? I happen to be all of those things. Im listening

not having a car is doable, it just sucks when its cold. the metrolink does go to belleville, this guy doesnt know what hes talking about. belleville is an ok place to live. especially if she at SIU

What the fuck are you talking about? The Metrolink goes to several places and even goes into Illinois. There are busses that go almost anywhere on main streets here and in Illinois. I take the bus to work every morning and it gets me there.

Lindenwood

ok even better.

and yeah bus system is pretty good, they run on time and frequently on many routes. it just sucks being out in the cold at all.

where u moving from?

How cold? I was raised in Ohio

Very far away on the west coast

no lake effect here, so its probably slightly warmer dpending on region of ohio.

paranoid retard here. yes, there are bad parts of belleville, but holy crap, a war zone? and public trans can get you around pretty well. $78/mo gets you on metrolink, metro buses, and madison county, il buses. you'll be fine for a while. just try to find someone similar to yourself to get advice about long term living areas, ESPECIALLY if you're going to live in st louis proper. it's not as bad as many people make it out to be, but there definitely are bad areas to avoid.

Imagine waiting for an hour on a Sunday morning at 15 degrees because you missed your bus and there's nowhere to go inside to get out of the cold.

at least there's uber now. helps out with those situations.

Its not permenant, neither of us are natives so when she finishes school there will be no reason to stay

u staying with sig other until u find job/place?

ha! you got that right.

I wish.

Join the military. Go see the world. ST Louis is nice and all however you are selling yourself short.

Yeah I dont really care about the city its for a girl, bro. Joining the Military would be the drastic opposite

so just find a place in belleville with a month to month or short term lease and get a stupid job somewhere close to that. figure it out from there.

i'd concur. if your goal lies in belleville, just stay there. no point in staying in the city.

moving to new city is same routine no matter where it is. get any place and any job as quickly as possible without being locked into the place for a year lease and itll come naturally from there.

Thats sorta the plan, are you from the area? Anyone know of apartments close to resturaunts? I'm not opposed to public transportation if I have to but obviously Id rather just walk a couple blocks

Also any advice on how to get there, plane, train, greyhound, and what to bring. Im only bringing what I can take in the luggage

try to find something close to metrolink so u can just walk to the train and goto the city if u want. belleville nightlife is not horrible, but the city is alot more fun. dunno where u from, but st louis is probably more violent than youre used to. as long as you dont look like an easy target, youll be fine though :)

yes im from there, but left in my early 20s. family still there. bus/train or plane both have metrolink stations, so just walk to train. both those areas are super safe

That house near metrolink thing is genius! I don't think I come off as an easy target, but now Im considering getting a tattoo for good measure. Cause I know that makes you "harder"

walk to metrolink (train)* and it goes all over st louis, including to belleville. so you have nowhere to go when u first get there?

Skip out on St. Louis and move to Chicago. You can find studios on yhe north side for 600 everything included. More opportunity there 10x better place to live, and closer to your bitch.

belleville il is a st louis suburb. chicago is 300 miles away

Thats correct, Ill probably stay in hotels until I find a place
I think you are geographicaly confused

but yeah chicago is alot bigger and more fun. alot more expensive though. you can get a nice apartment for 600ish in st louis

Yeah i didnt know where the hell her city was. People from Chicago never go south or west of the city.

Bring your guns. Didn't read the thread, so I'm sure another STL native already said this. I don't care about your age, race, creed, gender or sexual orientation.
Roll strapped or don't roll

I live in Alton just across the bridge. I think you'd have a better chance coming here then wandering around one of the most dangerous cities in America. Plus Alton's closer to Belleville. PLUS just a trip across the bridge to Missouri is the cheapest booze and cigs you can find. And another thing, Alton is a restaurant city, they're the only things that keep it alive. So your food service experience would work out great here.

look for roommate situation on craigslist or something, so u dont drain all your money.

Lmfao

alton would be a pain in the ass with no car

u can carry gun in missouri but not illinois

The rest IL is irrelevant lol just corn fields and tiny towns.

haven't had a gun in 32 years. never needed one. you're just a pussy.

Never go to the horseshoe
You will be robbed, and/or raped/murdered

>Not from stl
Burbs don't count kiddo, how's Arnold treating you?

Lived in STL for 26 years, now living in SoCal.

Holy fucking shit, is the rent ever cheap in St. Louis. Seriously, it's one of the cheapest places to live in the country.

It's not a terrible place to live, just so long as you're not huge on culture. It has it's charms, though. Plenty of breweries and beer fanatics, decent bar scene. Easy to find drugs, if that's your thing. Not an overabundance of great restaurants, but there's no shortage of mediocre ones. You shouldn't have any trouble finding work.

With $4k on deck, you'll be able to get a place, but you're definitely going to need to buy a car with some. Luckily, there's a healthy market of cheap cars on craigslist.

yeah no gun necessary. just stay around wash u and slu when u in the city until u figure out good/bad areas. plenty of stupid rich kids for the nigs to rob lol

kek, actually still living in alton. what fucking restaurant is good in alton? seriously? the only thing that's worth a shit there is Mac's. everything else is garbage.

>Statistically one of the most dangerous cities in America every year
Google it Faggots

dont need to google shit says the guy living in socal.

i lived grand/gravois area for years with no car without a gun. i had to run a couple times when it appeared setting up for a robbery but never found trouble when i wasnt looking for it

> remains ungoogled

Lived there my entire life, until recently. I'm not sure I know a single person who doesn't want to get out. Have fun OP.

i got beat up by a st undercover cop at the pagaent one time, thats only thing that comes to mind though lol

>Had to run
>Needs no gun
Did you seriously post that? Or am I not getting your joke?

Yeah fuckin' tell me about it. And Mac's is the place to be. Elijah P's isn't too bad either.

no joke. whats not to get. where u from?

I almost posted STL crime stats, but what's the point? Find out for yourself op. Take a leisurely stroll through the city. Try not to blend in. You'll be fine.

I haven't been there yet. I've been on the west coast for about 3 years, and Mac's is the only place I go whenever I come home. I'll have to check out Elijah P's.

I don't run faggot. Same neighborhood. People get robbed here daily. I carry and have used a firearm to protect myself. If you don't need one, then don't carry one. But you are a liar if you say it's not dangerous. Keep running bitch, I'll stay strapped

whatever you gotta do to make up for your little dick i suppose

Lol you mad?
You better use your Nikes bro

no, you are obviously full of shit...

Am I? I live on river aux vases just off gravois. There are fatal shootings on the news every night. Niggers are out of control here. Guess you missed the Ferguson riots. But you admit that you ran away like a little bitch. You are part of the problem. Don't listen to this punk bitch op. If you're gonna live in STL(city not fucking burbs) you better own a gun. Unless you are a track star, like this faggot

yeah read the thread dumbass. you carried a gun when you were a kid? do you even walk anywhere besides dragging your 300 pound ass out of the basement to fuck your mother once a week? he has no need to live in city. he doesnt have a car. he doesnt have a gun.

Who the fuck are you talking to?