Anyone here have experience with the drug Neurontin/Gabapentin?

Anyone here have experience with the drug Neurontin/Gabapentin?
What would you say about your experience?

Why are you taking it? If it's for psychiatric reasons, don't do it. It works by slowing your brain down, thus decreasing your symptoms. It's like a weak antipsychotic, basically, but really not worth it and just dumb to use. Psychiatrists who prescribe it are idiots.
>inb4 but they're doctors
Psychiatry is disgustingly stupid as a whole, then you have idiot psychiatrists on top of that.

That's... no.

I have tons of experience with it. I'm prescribed 3x300mg per day for pain. Gabapentin tolerance builds fast, so taking it daily isn't advised. If you're taking it for a high, it's a great high. You'll want to take around 1000mg over the course of a couple of hours, with soda or preferably red bull or another energy drink. It makes you have this pleasent near-drunken feeling without the severe dehydration, hangover, and stupidity of alcohol. Combining with weed can cause hallucinations. Combining with alcohol intensifies the effects of both, in my experience even just a small sip of alcohol while I'm high on gabapentin blasts me off into drunk-and-hallucinatory-land. I recommend going to erowid and reading trip reports for gabapentin.

All of that said, taking it regularly can and does produce psychotic episodes. I've heard from many people things like, "I believed I could hear radio frequencies through the walls." For me, I get very emotional if I take it too often, to the point where I might break dowm sobbing thinking the whole world is out to get me.

Was semi-average for my nerve pain and kinda helped me get to sleep.

Overall not terribly effective at blocking nerve pain, especially when compared with stuff like hydrocodone and oxycontin

what the fuck are you stupid

Nope, why do you ask?

op here,

i have a fair amount of experience with gaba but i have never stacked it
does this work well?

Are you only taking it to get high?

just experimenting, yes sir.

Ahh, Neurontin.

When I was a teen I used to suffer from night epilepsy, atleast that's what they told me. So I used to take 300mg a day I think (it's a long time ago).

Medication-wise I don't think it used to effect me all that much. It's great for recreational use though. I used to take it on weekends and drink beer & smoke weed with it. It used to fuck me up big time. Makes you drowsy and kind of drunk. The biggest dose I took was about 3000mg. Couldn't walk after that and I was really stoned. In retrospect it was a very stupid thing to do but it was fun.

Have fun but be very careful when combining with other stuff.

Oh and it gives you a great euphoria and makes you care about pretty much nothing.

Doc gave it to me for back pain. It didn't do shit.

Yeah, its interesting
Microdosing, I.e. taking it at prescribed doses, reduces anxiety and makes me a genuinely more pleasant person
Recreational use, >3g at no tolerance, is euphoric, slight stoning, makes me lose inhibition and a lot like alcohol to me. The bad part of gabapentin is tolerance builds rapidly, where I have double my dose every other day to get where I want to be.

hey, been on gabapentin for nearly 6 months now
I started at 300mg a day, 100mg in the morning, afternoon, and bed. I'm up to 1800mg a day, 600mg x3. I've found myself needing more and more, and I'll frequently redose during the day if I'm able to.
what this user said is correct
although I haven't had psychotic episodes on it, I've definitely taken it in a recreational capacity and have experimented with it. high doses with caffeine (and a small dose of benzo) are amazing. smoking weed while on gabapentin blows though, I took a few puffs off of a joint and was up all night, sitting up in bed, unable to pull my headphones off because I was terrified of the silent darkness I was sitting in.
alcohol with gabapentin sent me to the hospital.

I take it for bipolar disorder along with trazadone at night for sleep/mood stability and ativan as needed for anxiety. the next time I see my doctor, I'm going to ask for a different medication. but I don't know what else there is that can help. SSRIs don't work, SNRIs don't work either. I don't want my gabapentin tolerance to skyrocket.

Antipsychotic is next.

should I ask for a specific antipsychotic?

OP here
im bi polar too, i take lithium. research it some.

Depends on who you are and what your circumstances are, and even then it's just guess work. You'll probably get something like Seroquel/quetiapine or Risperdal/risperidone, or maybe even Abilify/aripiprazole. Idk which you'll like more.

I've taken seroquel before and it worked really well but a doctor took me off of it and put me on gabapentin

have taken risperdal once, when I was a kid. not a story I want to get into lol

Did that doctor give you a reason?

Please, story time?

I was video chatting with a chick who was drunk, and took several (I think 200mg) Neurontin capsules.

She got shitfaced. All she could do was lie her head down on the table, and just try to maintain.

If you're taking Neurontin to party, and you're drinking, do use caution with your dosing.

risperdal is bad stuff, i was on it and had to take another drug called cogentin so that i wouldnt have a dystonic reaction, which is the worst thing in the world.

I take Gabapentin for neuropathy in my left hand. I don't like it. It doesn't make me drowsy, just....sluggish.

Gabapentin (and, even moreso, SNRI and tricyclic antidepressants) have been shown to be superior to narcotic pain meds in neuropathic pain (including fibromyalgia) in multiple double-blinded clinical trials.

i don't really remember what he said exactly but it was something like "we don't start people off on seroquel and there are studies showing brain damage from using it so here's something different"

it's not even that exciting but
>be 13
>doctor prescribes adderall for every day use and risperdal as needed for severe anger management issues
>had a rough day at school
>violent outburst at home
>throwing chairs, punching holes in walls, etc
>step-dad is a trained martial artist
>puts me in a hold with one arm
>forces risperdal down my throat with his free hand
>calm within 10 minutes
>sit on couch
>only thing I remember is watching gone in 60 seconds as I blacked out

>believing that shit

I take it gabapentin/neurontin daily for severe neurological pain caused by a chronic auto-immune disorder.

The short version: It helps me. A lot. I wouldn't be able to get out of bed each day if I wasn't taking it.

I've been on doses ranging from 100mg to 2400 mg a day, but generally take 1800mg/day (3x 600mg/day).

Most people feel and act a bit dimwitted on it; it really slows down your thought processes, but if you need it, you need it. It also stimulates your appetite constantly. Most people who take it regularly gain a lot of weight on it and it's the number one reason why most people stop taking it.

In addition to auto-immune disorders (I'm lucky enough to have more than one) I also have some orthopedic problems from injuries and I have arthritis. As a result of all this, I'm in continuous pain. I really mean CONTINUOUS. 24/7 for the past 20 years. So I also take a lot of oxycodone daily for the really severe intermittent pains that I get. But for the constant background pain, nothing has helped like gabapentin.

Excatly this
But it will fick with your liver if you take too much

Gross oversimplification incoming:

Risperidone: tried/true, but high risk of dystonia and other side effects
Quetiapine: can be pretty sedating for some people
Olanzapine: a personal favorite, kind of half-way between risperidone and quetiapine
Aripiprazole: newer, well-tolerated, but some experts feel it is less effective

Overall, efficacy is similar between all of them, and there's no good way to predict which med will work best for certain people.

Just be open with your doctor and maybe tell him/her which side effects you're most concerned about.

Olanzapine makes people OBESE, has it done that to you yet?

it did that to me when i was like 15

Not sure what it did for me but I couldn't shut the fuck up.

That's why I take 3x600mg daily instead of the prescribed 4x600mg daily. I imagine that this dosage, combined with all my other meds, my liver is going to shut down one of these days, but at the moment I need to stay functional and if I lower my dosage any more than where I am, the pain is too high for me to be able to operate, day to day.

you guys are a bunch a pussies.

I've only taken gaba twice both times were 3,000+mg, I don't see how that could be the highest of doses that you've taken?

Makes me wonder how much Vicodin or Xanax would it take to get you fucked up.

ive taken absurd amounts. i dont even want to admit...
>upwards of 10,000mg

I should've specified, I'm a medfag, so I'm talking about prescribing, not personally taking. Though, yeah, olanzapine does cause a lot of weight gain (though, so do pretty much all antipsychotics).

This is stupid, though technically, it would take an insane amount of gabapentin to actually be lethal

Oh, so what reason would you have to care about the weight gain? Lol