Physical Media Appreciation

What does Sup Forums have in physical media?

Cds, Vinyl, Tapes, softly carved rocks?

Rate each others' stock pile and media of choice.

I have a collection of ever growing old school to modern hardcore EDM, ranging from 1992-2016

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/user/Doomguy_id/collection
discogs.com/user/oneyedreaper/collection
series200.bandcamp.com/album/human-story-3
discogs.com/user/mkwch/collection
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

simply the best collection that i have ever seen

i collect cds but unfortunately i'm not at home home where like 90% of them are but i have like 10 cds in this house

thanks!

what kind of music do you collect?

>that hardcore heaven 4 compilation
nice

That's a pretty hardcore collection you got there.

I mainly collect CDs nowadays, Vinyl is cool but I don't feel like damaging them on a shitty 40$ all-in-one player. Pic related is my haul from a trip into Chicago I took this weekend.

How much was all that?

Everything besides EL&P, Inferno OST, and King Crimson was a dollar, the other 3 bumped it up to nearly 35 bucks though.

Do you usually try to pick and pull from actual stores or do you also use sites like discogs?

bump

guess Sup Forums doesn't really like keeping physical media around
shame

Nice

I like buying CDs and vinyl, only started buying physical again last year after being away from it in 2009 when I sold what few CDs I owned. I go for vinyl as priority but if something isn't available / is too expensive / is a dud pressing / some other thing I don't like on ye olde wax then I buy the CD instead.

cbf taking a pic but here's what I have so far
discogs.com/user/Doomguy_id/collection

Cassette has to be THE hipster format. Vinyl at least has some advantages over CD. I can't think of a good reason why tapes have come back other than >muh aesthetic

I wish I had a picture here but I've got about 500 CDs. I really like having a physical copy of all my stuff.

I also have a few records for some of my favorite albums, a few limited edition prints, and a few for things that don't have CD versions. Probably 25 in total.

Fidelity

What sort of fidelity? Low fidelity? It's not like you can't make an album sound lo-fi on CD or vinyl

cassette is really the worst of both worlds. I can't understand either why it is still a thing.

>small artwork (sometimes even cropped)
>worse sound quality
>you can select a single track without rewinding or fast forwarding
>degrades and wears over time

It's like collecting vhs when dvds and blu-rays are available.

Yep, agreed. CDs made cassettes totally obsolete in my mind. Much like VHS, I don't begrudge someone for buying something niche or rare that is ONLY on cassette, but choosing to buy cassette over CD or vinyl seems downright stupid.

B-but.... but they're cool :(

vinyl albums look cool, and I say that as an avid cd buyer. They have a big ass glossy cover art and sometimes they are pressed in cool colors.
But fuckings cassette? It's a small piece of plastic with a tiny cover on the front of the case.

>W-well sometimes the p-plastic is different colors too...

t. cassette cuck

here's my discogs.com
discogs.com/user/oneyedreaper/collection
I've been collection for like 10 years. I'm kinda addicted to buying cds.
I bought like 45 last weekend.

Here's some recent stuff I've gotten, also I just ordered 3 Lush CDs on Discogs. I also have about 20 full LPs and a ton of random Drum n Bass / Techno / Hip Hop singles. I've been buying CDs lately more though

Been collecting CDs for around 2 years now. I think its a decent sized collection.

You guys are pretty lucky

The music and Cds that I go after to buy are usually 10-35€ a piece. Having niche taste sucks

I have a part-time job, which gives me some freedom but I don't get enough to get out of my parent's house after paying for college and public transportation stuff, so I generally am free to spend that bit of money of stuff I like, that's all.

That Asobi Seksu album is one of my all time favs, good taste user.

Yeah I just skip stuff thats expensive usually, it is lucky a lot of stuff I like has cheap CDs. goji-sanpun cost me $40 to import but besides that I haven't spent over $10 on a CD since they were the main method of music distrobution

I feel badly coming into these threads and seeing people pay high prices for CDs. Buy used, you'll hardly ever pay more than 5 dollars per CD

I buy used CDs that are from the early 90s and I still end up paying more than 10€ a CD ($10.59).

Everynow and again I'll find a steal at 4-6€ but then the condition is kind of worn and I like to the presentation of my cds to be nice if possible.

>Vinyl at least has some advantages over CD.
Vinyl has zero advantages over CD, period. Believing otherwise is idiocy.

1. you get a bigger cover art

Monetary value.
and a bigger album art.
But I only do cds, myself.

2- it gets way more hipster pussy than CD

Well, that's just wrong. A big part of the reason I like buying physical copies at all is the artwork, and I think vinyl is the undisputed king of that. Not having to worry about an album just dying on the shelf from disc rot is also quite nice (even though it is of course quite rare and doesn't stop me buying CDs).

Also in some circumstances the vinyl version of an album may sound better than the CD due the mastering that was used for the vinyl. I don't think vinyl is inherently a better sounding format, it's just that in some cases the vinyl genuinely sounds better than the CD release and vice versa, so just faithfully buying the 1 format all the time is a bad move.

Alright, I'll give that to you. I'll rephrase it as vinyl has no advantages over CD regarding sound quality.

>Monetary value
Depends on the record and where you buy it, honestly. You can pick up something like a used copy of ITCOTKC for $0.50 one place and $20 another place. New vinyl pressings are mostly just chasing that hipster dollar though, so they're more expensive than what they could be.

>in some circumstances the vinyl version of an album may sound better than the CD due the mastering that was used for the vinyl.
This is true. I'm talking about people who prefer vinyl because "it sounds warmer" or "has more depth" or "it's so much better" when that is patently untrue. Vinyl has many limitations to it as a storage medium that CDs don't have.

To me vinyl is just a different way to listen to music, so I'll buy them on occasion just for the experience of dropping a needle.

Try looking through rummage sales, thrift stores and stuff. I also recommend you try looking for some other record stores.

Well the "warmth" thing technically is true to my knowledge because (layman understanding here, take it with a grain of salt) there is some inherent distortion in the bass on vinyl that gives it that sound. Technically that's objectively inaccurate but there's nothing wrong with subjectively preferring that sound. It's pretty comparable to why some people like tubes over solid state for amplification.

Regarding depth, to my knowledge to digitally extract all the musical information on a vinyl it's a substantially higher bitrate and bitdepth than a CD. I don't have any opinion on the merits of higher bitrate or bitdepth, though I think CDs sound just fine.

One of my favourite things about CD is just being able to fit 1h14m of music regardless of type on to a single CD. I avoid some albums on vinyl that have to spread the music over too many discs that it becomes inconvenient to listen. A double LP is fine, but for example, BoC Geogaddi I opted for CD because that's a single CD album that is a triple LP on vinyl. Too many disc changes and flips for my liking.

Record stores and such local to me don't carry the music that I like lmao
I would have to take a long ass road trip to the netherlands to get their discount bins lol

>New vinyl pressings are mostly just chasing that hipster dollar though, so they're more expensive than what they could be.

I don't know about this. Yeah some probably are overpriced but vinyl is going to be substantially more expensive than CD for a number of reasons. They've always been more expensive to make, period. Add to that the increased shipping costs due to their much larger size and weight, and to my knowledge there's a legit shortage of pressing plants now so there are waiting lines which prob drives things up a bit more. And then on top of that consider economies of scale. They're not going to be as cheap since they don't make anywhere near as many as they do CDs.

All of those factors add up, and when you account for inflation and actually shop around for good deals online, they're really not that much more expensive than they used to be in many cases.

>Vinyl has zero advantages over CD

Better master is many times found on vinyl, and will probably always be so since the original master tape might be degraded to the point where a "remaster" won't improve things and/or not financially sensible to remaster.

New vinyl pressings were an incredibly fringe market until a few years ago when hipsters started demanding them. So yes, the current vinyl market is chasing that hipster dollar.

See >to my knowledge to digitally extract all the musical information on a vinyl it's a substantially higher bitrate and bitdepth than a CD.
The bitrate and bit depth are rather irrelevant when vinyl is limited to only around 75 decibels of dynamic range compared to a CD's 90 and the fact that stereo sound on vinyl is only achieved through cutting at a 45 degree angle, which is inferior to the mono cutting method of side to side. There's also the fact that vinyl records have difficulty handling lots of treble, meaning songs with high amounts of treble need to be placed near the beginning of the record in order to prevent stylus runoff. Bass levels are also an issue since high bass levels can cause the stylus to leave the record.

These are all problems that CDs do not have. The only time a CD will ever sound worse than a vinyl record is if the mastering and mixing is shit, but that's not an issue with the format, that's an issue with the people doing the mixing.

Just curious, do you CD buyers actually play the CDs each time you want to listen or just rip them to your computer?

I rip and keep the cd safe.

I normally rip them to my computer to keep them nice

Used to collect CDs, don't really anymore unless it's a cool find.
Main focus is vinyl.
Got a couple cassettes as well, but I'll only grab it if its a cool find or the only format available.

Play them each time.

lmao

Hoo baby

I bought the clear vinyl
series200.bandcamp.com/album/human-story-3

Lots of CDs.

Too many CDs.

Shitty lighting in here, though, so I can never get good pictures of much.

holy shit i had no idea about this
thank you user

also since when did oesb start releasing shit again!?

Kinda depends on what you want to buy; I'm a used CD/thrift store hound, but a big portion of what I want to buy is not cheap or easy to find.

Found some really great shit in thrift stores, though.

:(

no clue. Glad I could inform you of it, get it soon since the first 100 get a bonus item in addition to the extra CD they're throwing it. Such a steal.

I collect Vinyl and Cassettes mainly, though if I find something neat on CD I buy that too.

Rate my recent buys

when did it go on sale and how do you know if you're first 100?

>picture disc

0/10

Don't worry, user, I like the Ruins and King Crimson CDs.

>george thorogood
>$7

why not just look in literally the first dollar record bin you come across

It went on sale January 24; no clue how many people have bought it, but considering James Ferraro's status, and the fact that so few people knew of this particular release, then I'd say the chance of getting the bonus item is still good.

I hate this new artwork

I prefer it over the original.

Because every single one near me doesn't have that specific album

Heck I find great stuff, just takes some looking and some luck. I found Labyrinth by David Bowie on CD for 6 bucks, sells on discogs for an average of 50. I've found Holy Money by Swans for 10, which sells for 60. Also found some cool stuff in Goodwills and such for a dollar; The Great Annihilator, Dark Side Of The Moon, The White Album. Just gotta look constantly

I've managed to find stuff like Body Lovers, Nomeansno, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Astronautalus, John Coltrane,Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, etc in thrift stores; I feel you there.

However, I'm not gonna find my Boris or Emptyset or This Heat or Rudimentary Peni or whatever in thrift stores--or at the very least I haven't in the decade or so I've been going.

then look for it next time you go
shit like that turns up pretty easily

or you know, pay $1.50 for it on discogs, it's your money to waste

Here's my collection

>metallica cd
>4 eminem cds
>deadmau5 cd
>mambo no 5 cd
>3 tyler the creator cds

dude i know i feel like this has to be a joke or an image from a cringe thread or something

Nope, just posted it I don't get how it's cringe... None of those artists are bad, the deadmau and mambo are my buddies and fun. Chill l m a o

well the fact that like 1 out of every 5 pieces of physical music media you own are eminem is a good start

Here my poupper with some of my collection of records and this old shit audio Technica turntable that I haven't used in ages

very nice my friend

i have that same cult leader hoodie lol
it's very comfy

bump

i have 355 cds

bump

i collected CDs for a long time as a teen. I'd been transitioning to vinyl over the past 7 or so years because i figured if im going to buy something physical, i want the actual soundwave impressions instead of digital files on a disc. CDs seem kind of half-assed as far as physicality goes. I'm in the process of downsizing my CD collection now, to rare/signed/emotionally significant ones

here's my vinyl collection
discogs.com/user/mkwch/collection

i collect vinyl, but i cant say i really hear a difference in quality between it and cd. not to mention i have a lot of more recent releases that were obviously mixed and mastered digitally, and had digital listening in mind during the process.
i like vinyl for the experience i guess. the fact that you can't just press a button and start listening to it, can't skip or search through tracks, can't take the listening with you while you go do other things. it really forces the experience of "listening to an album" on you. i get why a lot of people don't really care about this, but it's something i enjoy

Both, will mostly play them on a CD player though

I've been collecting CD's a lot lately. Mostly just any stuff I like. Usually in thrift shops and some record stores.

cont, more detail

>I mainly collect CDs nowadays
Where the fuck do I find people that buy CDs? Everyone I know is a retard that collects tapes and vinyl.

>Cassette has to be THE hipster format.
No, that's reel to reel tape.

Good taste my dude.

I still buy CDs, but why would you do that, CDs are uncool

bump

Tapes are a HiFi format.

A well recorded Chrome tape played on a nice Nakamichi deck will BTFO digital any day.

CD has zero advantages over flac.

im visiting my friends/family in a different city atm so i dont have my whole collection, but i brought these 4 CDs with me

>I'll rephrase it as vinyl has no advantages over CD regarding sound quality.

Also not entirely true. Remasters of old albums tend to suffer in fidelity due to the loudness wars, so when it comes to pre '80s albums, you're better off with an OG/early vinyl record than a digital remaster.

artwork

Record sleeves are great for breaking up ganja and rolling desu

The only one I'm not fully satisfied with is the Flume album. Bought it because a friend likes them so much. Got a bunch more coming in the next week or two also