Things that instantly kill your immersion in movies/shows

>be watching a present-day flick
>character's phone rumbles
>he checks it.
>a bubble pops up on-screen showing the text.

This is the worst. A cardinal sin. I would rather not know what the text was, and leave it to interpretation than find out that way.

Funny I show a video yesterday that was saying something along the lines that it was the best thing ever to show messages in cinema.

I'm with you OP-not-a-faggot-this-time.

>what do you think this is, a movie?/that shit only happens in movies
>it's a fucking movie

With that dialogue it's probably a flick

>hang up cellphone
>dialtone

What the fuck does that image have to do with the OP, you crossboarding cuck?

my waifu. Has everything I love in a woman.

Not anymore it looks like

its better than blowing up the screen and giving the camera 10 seconds for the audience to read it

although it's better when the message illlicits a response and the writer uses the irony of not knowing to make the protag unpredictable

>American film
>cuts to scene taking place in Russia/France/Germany or some other country
>characters speaking to each other in their native language
>suddenly switch to English for no fucking reason

fuck off

>Character is in a situation that could be solved with a phonecall
>"I don't have reception!"

Who is that?

>Funny I show a video yesterday that was saying something along the lines that it was the best thing ever to show messages in cinema.

That's retarded

News articles and personal letters have been captured on screen for audiences to read directly since silence films. Even after audio, a lot of movies wouldn't narrate messages shown on screen, and sometimes that shit would drag on too long.

Which kind of makes OP's complaint retarded too. Unless he didn't like paper and ink on screen either. I myself prefer narration and showing shit that's actually interesting.

That's a natural way of doing things though

Subtitles are nothing like listening to words you understand. You're almost tone deaf listening to a foreign language.

But they have to let the audience know characters aren't actually speaking english, so they start out with the foreign language.

It doesn't seem natural to me at all. I'm fine with either them sticking to subtitles or just having them speak English with accents, but starting with the former and then switching to the latter is immersion breaking.

>But they have to let the audience know characters aren't actually speaking english, so they start out with the foreign language.
Why? Hollywood has been using the "just give them accents" ploy since sound was invented, audiences are used to it. There's no need to start out with subtitles.

whenever these kind of transitions happen

this is the worst, it literally looks like windows movie maker&babbys first home movie i can't believe star wars uses these unironically

dude, star wars is from 77
movie maker wasn't in anyone's wildest SF dreams and transitions like that were never ever seen before.
Now it can't be justified by anything but "muh style" but you can't say
>i can't believe star wars uses these unironically

>i can't believe star wars uses these unironically
Totes! Gag me with a spoon! Upvoted! When i got a Microsoft Surface in 2nd grade the first thing I did was remake star wars!

i know i know i considered it but they used these in the prequels too and maybe even TFA too so imo it's a valid point

They are legitimate as Star Wars pioneered it. "muh style" applies to anything not Star Wars. But really for SW it would be bad if it was NOT used as it's part of its DNA.