ITT: Albums That Opened Your Eyes To Their Respective Genre

I always dismissed black metal and metal until I heard this shit
God damn it's so fucking good

it's basic-ass atmoblack but I'd be lying if I didn't say it did the same for me

the difference is that I was 13 when I got into it, instead of being a huge hipster douche in my 20s

I get that this album gets talked about a lot, probably a bit more than it should, especially on Sup Forums, but there is a reason for that. Filosofem captures such a dark and dream-like feeling like no other album I have ever heard, and probably ever will hear. The repetition is really truely hypnotic from the very first riff, the production is absolutely perfect for what it is, and every single riff is a classic black metal riff. There really is no other album that even approaches the atmosphere this album creates.

>it's basic-ass atmoblack
But you have to remember that it is also arguably the first atmoblack album, being recorded in 92 or 93.

I used to hate rap till i heard this. Now i really appreciate late 80s and early 90s hip hop

>Filosofem captures such a dark and dream-like feeling like no other album I have ever heard
>i've never listened to paysage d'hiver

>hate rap
>appreciate hip hop
what did he mean by this?

call it a normie pick, still stands as one of the best death metal albums of all time

>the difference is that i was 13 when i got into it, instead of being a hipster douche in my 20s

okay hipster

Death might be the Metallica of death metal in terms of popularity and influence, but luckily their discography is all gold.

>paysage d'hiver
not dream-like at all, that shit goes to Bergtatt

it's true though. if it was not for varg's fame for being a edgy faggot it would not be nearly as popular

It really does have fucking amazing atmosphere
I don't know how much this is helped for me by knowing Vikernes is actually into esoteric/Pagan shit, it makes it feel so 'authentic' for me (despite personally being pretty devoutly Christian). With some other black metal it seems like it's 'just an aesthetic' for the artist, and as a consequence isn't as sincere.

Damn dude are you me?

dude i was 16 chill out

actually, you know what fuck you man, it doesnt matter how fucking old i was or how fucking old you were you fucking asshole. honestly you call me a fucking hipster just because I make a thread about an album that i really fucking appreciate because it expanded mt horizons and made me want to listen to music i wouldve never dreamed of listening to before? Im a hipster for wanting to talk to people about their experiences with music that's special to them? Fuck you, you jaded prick

Are you still 16?

(you)

I only listened to it because it was Tolkien related and initially disliked it.

I let it sit for a few months, came back to it and fell in love with the whole thing. It branched out from there, and I started listening to lots of black metal (predominantly Burzum) and dungeon synth since the album combines both genres.

Nowadays I almost exclusively am listening to black metal, dungeon synth, black noise, dark ambient, etc.

keep projecting

lmao

This album opened my eyes to music

Welcomed me to good music when I was about 15