Where the fuck is Trap Rap going...

Where the fuck is Trap Rap going? It's been around in the mainstream for so long now and its flagship artists are yet to release a "magnum opus" of the genre, the closest obviously being like Imperial or Barter 6/Jeffery. If the "punk of hip-hop" comparisons are at all valid, then the genre is definitely moving into its post- phase right now. I have hope in Young Thug to release a great debut SA and push the genre's boundaries a little more since he seems to be the smartest and most creative of the crop, but literally all it takes is any unique independent artist to come out with a landmark project and combat the oversaturation

Thoughts?

the 'punk of hiphop' comparisons aren't at all valid

Yeah idk where this BS came from. I guess fair enough to call some of its roots the "punk of hip hop", but that was before everyone started calling it trap.

all that stuff already is post trap

trap is TI and jeezy etc, then waka/gucci brought it back and young thug made it gay

None of those albums you listed are trap

yea i'm skeptical as well (and it really doesn't matter aside from just helping to predict the genre's direction) but there have been some good points, like the foregoing of "classic" hip-hop conventions and its low skill ceiling. it's already mainstream as shit, and once it starts completely taking over top 40 there's prob going to be some budding underground movement focused on deconstructing it

the way you look at genres as rigidly defined and concrete things, as well as the career trajectory of artists and how things having cultural impact "works", borders on autism

spoiler: "classics" don't become classics until well after their release

also the "punk of hip hop" bullshit is dumb as fuck

can you explain how trying to predict things is autistic without sounding like a faggot

he can't

I am guessing it is related to the fact that just like punk music this so called trap music is based on the expression of aggression with no articulateness.

Rodeo is probably closer to a "magnum opus" of the genre than anything YT has done desu

from Sup Forums's posterboy, Anthony Mandingo

>its flagship artists are yet to release a "magnum opus" of the genre
there have been a good deal of songs like that, it's not album centric doofus. but there's still Flockaveli

He only said that about Lil Yachty though, hardly an indicator of Trap Rap as a whole

Trap's magnum opus is Flockaveli. I thought everyone knew this.

>yet to release a "magnum opus"

first 2 songs best 2 songs

>Karma
>not the best song

i just realised i still have no idea what trap is

i always thought it was that thing in shitty modern edm music where the beat builds up tempo and the pitch gets higher and higher and then there's a drop or something but apparently not if it's something to do with rap

then again i also still think of lady gaga as a 'current' artist so yea idk wtf i'm talking about

While I do love Flockavelli, I don't even associate modern trap with it. The lex luger sound isn't especially prevalent as far as I can tell.
Jeffery and Flockavelli aren't similar at all.

TI?Trap?What are you talking about?

The jeezy and TI stuff sounds different, it just Called Trap because it's about trappin'. More like proto-trap, Jeezy with the ad libs. Lex Luger is responsible for the sound

>my face whenever Sup Forums tries to discuss rap

y'all are worse than r/hiphopheads

DUDE GUNSHOT NOISES LMAO

Yeah this album is actually pretty good

ITT: mu knows nothing about "trap" music

ITT: Mew got into hip-hop last year and heard popular rap

>its flagship artists are yet to release a "magnum opus" of the genre, the closest obviously being like Imperial or Barter 6/Jeffery.
the closest are either DS2 or Rodeo and nothing else is even remotely fucking close
> If the "punk of hip-hop" comparisons are at all valid, then the genre is definitely moving into its post- phase right now.
if that's the case then this genre is a total joke as it managed to pass through its entire life cycle without a single great artist or album
>I have hope in Young Thug to release a great debut SA and push the genre's boundaries a little more since he seems to be the smartest and most creative of the crop
lol
>but literally all it takes is any unique independent artist to come out with a landmark project and combat the oversaturation
pretty much this. we must keep the faith. if future's New album taught us anything, though, it's that the old guard aren't going to do it.