Press F to pay respects

Press F to pay respects

The age of good tv is dead.

>generic historically inaccurate time period drama cancelled

You should be happy networks are moving away from this trash.

>Terence Winter
>generic

Kill yourself.

this was a cliched bore, David Simon's bringing the golden age back, followed by Milch

I think you wanted to post a picture of person of interest

>le sex and drugs and rock and roll meme

Lel

Taxi Driver wasn't generic, but Wolf of Wallstreet was
>but muh unique creative input..
Idgaf lad

>I've never watched Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos

F
Goodbye Olivia Cockburn's hairy bush.

The two hour series premiere of Vinyl was so boring I didn't bother to continue.

Olivia "Box Office Blight" Wilde at work

Same. Not boring like "nothing happens" but boring like, "i've seen all these scenes, plot beats, and characters before but in better hands, i'm good"

Vinyl is the biggest abomination of all time. Argue me. You can't!

I am now not going to start watching this show after the posts in this thread.

Most of the people ITT haven't even seen the show. Anyone saying it is boring is 15 and likely couldnt even make it through Mad Men or the Sopranos.

>Comparing Vinyl to Mad Men and Sopranos

Even Terrance Winter thinks the show sucks.

That was a merkin, and I didn't even watch the show.

She talked about it in an interview, it was.

Everyone saying this was "too smart" for most people must be lying out their ass. I can't think of a more generic execution of a generic premise. I watched only 2 episodes but not a single thing surprised or interested me in it

The great parts of The Sopranos was all Chase, and BE was great at times but never lived up to it's potential

This, plus I have no interest in "rawk and roll!1!" culture to begin with

Fuck this shit, that show was actually decent besides the gangster subplots.

>Even Terrance Winter thinks the show sucks.
Kek

What did he say?

I thought the same and I hoped s2 would have been so much better now that crap was finally over.

This show sucked you (F)aggot

Damn that's crazy. Didn't they sink a ton of money in season 1?

I liked it but it was average and it costed a shit ton of money.

>Vinyl
>good tv

I really wanted to like it and I didn't. Winter is a fantastic writer and he knows period pieces but holy fuck what a shot in the dark this show was.

One redeemable episode- the one where Richie goes on the bender for a week, surrounded by just utter mediocrity. I watched every episode and I barely remember any of the characters. I love Cannavale, I love Winter, fuck I even love Ken Marino who had a bit part in this, I wanted to like it, I really did, but it was just completely forgettable.

cmon it was fun, i dont know... as a musician myself it seems even more interesting.

But it sucked..

Garbage show. The only good hbo shows from the last 5 years are The Leftovers and Enlightened.

It wasn't good. I know that much.

But that's not Person of Interest or Penny Dreadful

Upwards of 100 million

Veep and Silicon Valley are good, for the most part

Veep

I do miss Enlightened though.

>Sup Forums memes
wow it is true what they say about the infiltration of Sup Forums by Sup Forums fags

I thought it got renewed for a second season?
If not, that kind of sucks. It had its flaws but had a lot of potential if they had gotten things off the ground faster. They had so many subplots up in the air at once that it was too slow to make you want to tune in every week.

Is Veep actually good? Was thinking of checking it out eventually.

Did the show really cost that much jc.

I've seen a few episodes here and there and enjoyed it, it's on my list to see in full. Definitely not as sharp as The Thick of It though

It did get renewed, then cancelled.

>They had so many subplots up in the air at once that it was too slow to make you want to tune in every week.
Boardwalk Empire suffered from the same thing in the later seasons, though it's premise was a bit more gripping from the outset.

>The Leftovers

Thats the worst show HBO has made in years. You have awful taste.

It's not as sharp, or well-written, or have as good as a cast of characters, but it's still the best comedy on American TV in the past very long time.

It definitely has earned those fuckton of Emmys

i love seeing marrige problems in shows
there is nothing i would rather watch than two people shout and bitch at each other, cry, fight over the kids and be resentful
this is especially great if it happens in the first season without really fleshing out their relationship first, other than through flashbacks of them hooking up in a public restroom and being jealous

>The age of good tv is dead.

It really is, a lot of people feel the golden age of television has been over for awhile but Vinyl's cancellation in my opinion really solidifies the end. Vinyl like most great drama series had a flawed but brilliant first season and I was really looking forward to how the story and the kino would unfold over time. My main fear is that without this show out there leading by example there will be nothing to challenge it. Imagine if The Sopranos or Mad Men were cancelled in their first seasons and shows like Breaking Pleb, Boardwalk Empire, and Vinyl didn't exist. That's the timeline we're unfortunately stepping into now and because of HBO's brash and frankly stupid decision there is no going back.

funniest thing on television

especially this season, it's been really fantastic

The blonde girl was qt

No brother, Vinyl's failure means the surface-level influence of golden age tv is no longer working as a substitute for its true value. You don't replicate the success of Sopranos by having a show about gangsters and you don't replicate the success of Mad Men by having a period show.

Not remotely true user.

Of the three Davids, Simon is the only one who's done shit lately. Show Me a Hero was GOAT. Milch has succumbed to Shawn Ryan syndrome and David Chase ain't do shit never except that one movie. Which is ok, because David Chase has given enough of his time and effort to the tv machine and we should all be grateful to him forever.

Good. That show was garbage and the 70s meme of sex, drugs, and rock and roll are dead. Good riddance.

The show wasn't about gangsters that was a sub plot and literally every amazing show on television was a period piece from The Sopranos to Rome.

I had genuine fun watching this with my friend both stoned out of our mind. I was looking forward to s2.
Maybe it helped that we actually liked the music.

Based taste, user.

The music was amazing. Only under 20 faggots didn't like it.

>The Sopranos
>period piece

It was a late 90s to early 2000s period piece that was also created and aired during that time, if that's what you mean lol.

Anyways, the top 3 shows of all time were Sopranos, The Shield, and Mad Men in that order. exactly one of those was a period piece.

Is it the first time HBO actually fires a showrunner? They always seemed attached to respecting a show's identity and personality, even if it meant shit audiences or lackluster reviews. Golden age HBO wouldn't have pulled something like this. True Blood or In Treatment changed showrunners at some point but those were mutual decisions.

Winter was always a mediocre writer and never should have been a showrunner, his role on The Sopranos was always to handle the hothead gangster shit and comedy but alll the character depth, narrative structure or thematic meaning came from Chase. That's why BE was just a pulp cartoon with one-note characters and cliché situations but fun violence and banter. Wolf of Wall Street proved he should do comedies, not dramas.

>TD S2 was a fucking mess, still pleasant pulpy crime but with obvious issues
>The Rock "we want the Entourage audience" vanity show
>Game of shit for normies and fantasy neckbeards
>a fucking Lindelof show
>Lena Dunham
>now they're doing a Westworld ("scifi" trash) remake by Nolan brother (hack)
>Simon and Milch struggling to get projects off the ground and keeping them on the air, David taking five years to make a new Curb season

Remember when it still had Sopranos, Wire, Rome and Deadwood, all at the same time?

What I'm gonna say is controversial but their best shows in a while was The Newsroom, even with all its flaws, Sorkin is still an amazing writer, which HBO is seriously running out of. The golden age ended with Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom and Justified. The scene of Nucky discovering Television was a neat way of ending it.

The Sopranos is a period piece of 2000s gansters, Mad Men was obviously a period piece and The Shield? What are you 12? The Wire is clearly the 3rd in the trinity and its arguably a period piece on being a cop at the onset of when they started using technology heavily.

So tv is dead because the show you imagined Vinyl to be doesn't exist? We can say any show cancelled in it's first season would be a masterpiece later on, you're speaking out of your ass. Mulvaney would have been the next Seinfeld if only those jerks didn't cancel it

Vinyl was the most derivative "HBO" drama ever. Anti-hero protagonist, excessive sex/violence/swearing/drugs, a too big cast to pad out runtimes, lack of a traditional/concrete arc established by the first season. It did nothing unique and the only reason you're calling it some lost masterpiece is because it reminds you of the template for actual masterpieces.

>without this show leading by example there will be nothing to challenge it
What in the world are you talking about? If anything this will make people challenge the status quo, because audiences clearly didn't care for it

>brash and stupid
It was obscenely expensive, nobody watched it and few people seemed to really like it. It was a completely sound decision

>its a straight edge faggot was triggered episode

breaking bad solidified the end of good tv
the early seasons were pretty good, but over time it started to rely on cliffhangers or dramatic reveals at the end of each episode
every episode felt like it needed to leave you in suspense of what is coming next episode so you are guaranteed tune in next week
shows like the walking dead and game of thrones are doing the same thing
it's clever, people talk about it with their friends, at work and on the internet
>have you seen the latest episode? i can't believe that happened
it cheapens the show
slow burners are fizzling out it seems
not that vinyl was great example of that, but it hit all the premium tv checkmarks and maybe that was it's downfall

The only other show currently airing that came close was the Knick and Clive tanked that.

>The Sopranos is a period piece of 2000s gansters

Justified was always better than Breaking Bad and it ended after BrBa

10/10 post

kek

Are you retarded or something? It was a gangster show set in the 2000s. Gangsters today do not operate like that. In 50 years they wont operate like that. Its a period piece because the setting and costumes are accurate to that time period and the way an organization operated back then. Today things are very different from how they were in early 2000s.

Milch is a shit writer that can't actually finish scripts. He's an irresponsible dickhead and thinking any of his TV series can last any serious amount of time is setting yourself up for disappointment. He's the GRRM of TV.

David Simon is the only true master.

No, it wasn't. As much as I like Justified and Breaking bad, and as much as I think that Breaking Bad is extremely overrated, Justified was never better than Breaking bad.

Procedural with villain for every season is bad for a quality TV.

>now they're doing a Westworld ("scifi" trash) remake by Nolan brother (hack)
>a fucking Lindelof show

I appreciate where you're coming from but not when you dismiss things outright because of the names involved. I could just as easily say "a fucking Sorkin show" and it would mean as little. Westworld isn't even out yet

The offhand dismissals of The Leftovers bothers me more than anything on this board. Everyone bitches about how boring tv in general and HBO in specific is, and The Leftovers is probably the most unique drama on tv regardless of what you think of the quality. It's not an anti-hero drama, or a cliffhanger show, or a procedural, or a raunchy comedy, or a weak social satire. It's completely it's own thing, and that's the kind of material you should want on tv. Even if you dislike it it's a interesting failure and not a cynical product to get ratings

By your definition, anything set in 2016 is a period piece then.

The HBO men realized Terence Winter was another Kurt Sutter and Vinyl would be his Bastard Executioner. That said, they fucked up by attempting to continue the show without him instead of just canceling right away. Vinyl was the tattered flag of HBO's glory days, the inferior grandchild of The Sopranos, and by bungling its cancellation so badly HBO has shown us their hand. As if the constantly worsening Game of Thrones wasn't enough to see that. Hopefully they don't fuck with Lindelof on Leftovers, which is actually great and could have been the herald of a new HBO renaissance if they weren't so busy turning themselves into every other TV channel.

Fucking hell. I loved this show. God fucking damnit

Leftovers is literally a nothing show with no plot centered around drama of characters that aren't even interesting. You have bad taste.

Agreed. The Leftovers will never be popular on this board because it's similar to Six Feet Under. It's largely genreless and extremely character driven.

HOLY TRIUMVIRATE TIER
The Sopranos
Deadwood
The Wire

AMAZING TIER
Generation Kill
John from Cincinnati

GREAT TIER
Oz early seasons
Rome
Six Feet Under
True Detective S1
Carnivale
Band of Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
Luck
Show Me A Hero

GOOD TIER
Treme
In Treatment
The Pacific
True Detective S2
John Adams
Vinyl
The Corner
From the Earth to the Moon

MEH TIER
Big Love
Oz later seasons

SHIT TIER
True Blood
GoT

Leftovers is already set to end after season 3 next year, but on Lindelof's terms so it should stay as good as it's been

If it uses things accurate to today and focuses on a very specific aspect of our society then yes it is.

Things that make Sopranos a period piece are very little use of the internet, use of pay phones, the empasis on the fact that the Italian mob doesn't even follow it's own rules anymore, things like that. If it was just a show set in the 2000s it wouldn't be. The fact that it is entirely centered around how gangsters operated during that time makes it so.

You're a Milch dicksucker and Band of Brothers is quite possibly one of the best things ever put on television.

you are one of the most retarded posters i've seen on here.

Move True Blood to Guilty Pleasure Tier desu.

>GOT - shit-tier

Faggot, the first four season were absolutely amazing. The last two are horrible, and probably the final too, but to put it in shit-tier? Plain contrarianism

>Carnivale not in amazing
>Show me a Hero not in amazing
>The pacific not in great or above
>Oz not in Good-tier for at least the first 3 seasons with Adebisi.

Shit list, mate.

>Deadwood
>Over Gen Kill

Wew lad

>keep watching scenes from Boardwalk Empire final season
>Dat opening in the last episode
>dat last dance with margaret
>dat grownup meyer and lucky taking over
>dat nucky discovering television
>dat nucky losing everything
>feel bad again
>open news today
>vinyl cancelled
>fucking day ruined even more

Man just fuck your stupid zombies and dragons and fuck your normie fucking fantasy shit. Vinyl was a good show and had a lot of premise.

Yeah, it's way fucking better than Generation Kill. And Generation Kill is GREAT.

>Boardwalk Empire
>Great

It went to absolute shit after the second season. Dat fucking taste.

A show exploring its own time period is not a period piece. A show that deliberately selects a time period from the past and chooses to explore that time period is a period piece.

Whats the difference?

How can you have any love for Vinyl when that show is the reason the final season of BE skipped over the fucking st. valentines day massacre

I suck Milch cock by choice and with aplomb.

Jimmyfags will never learn.

>HOLY TRIUMVIRATE TIER
>The Sopranos
>Deadwood
>The Wire
Absolutely.

this
i don't get how it can be on the same level as the sopranos or the wire either
it was carried by the main actor so hard, plus it got cancelled before there was any conclusion to the story

I disagree but I can't argue with those advanced dubs.

Because I knew that Vinyl was the last show to come from the influence of The Sopranos.

And now there is not going to be ANY show like The Sopranos, BE or Mad Men...

Sopranos was ''carried'' by a singular actor just as much as Deadwood.

As someone said The Knick but Clive tanked it cause ratings were shit and he wanted out.

What do you get out of being so cynical about a whole medium because one mediocre derivative show got cancelled? Why do you want every show to live in the shadow of one masterpiece instead of pushing for people to try new things? TV can be more than anti-heroes with large casts

>show centered around a single character's psychology
>show about a growing community of an ensemble cast

hmm you're right, no difference there. Gandolfini totally "carried" The Sopranos!

Wrong.

Steven Van Zandt and Tony Sirico were the absolute best supporting cast you could ask for.

>a show set in the decade it was made is a period piece

Did you even read what you wrote?

>there will never be a show influenced by Sopranos ever again inn existence for eternity because Vinyl got cancelled

>bringing up those instead of Edie Falco

Good show. Shame it's cancelled.