Why are so many European flags so lame and uninspired? Why not have a symbol of your country instead of a few lines?

Why are so many European flags so lame and uninspired? Why not have a symbol of your country instead of a few lines?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_counties_of_the_United_States#Louisiana,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuphar_lutea
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

romanian flag is the best flag in the world

We used to have a symbol but the second generation commies that took over the country after killing the first generation one didn't want to put it again because it was too monarchal.

Hey buddy I'll have you know Romania is my girlfriend

tricolours are literally the worst flag designs ever

For once, the Anglo is right.

The principles of designing a good flag:
>Keep it Simple: A flag, they say, should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory. Kids will have fun drawing Japan’s flag, but not so much fun with Turkmenistan’s elaborate carpet-like patterns.
>Use Meaningful Symbolism: A Star of David in Israel’s flag carries great meaning; however, the symbol of the rifle found on Mozambique’s flag may not be the most positive icon to represent a country.
>Use Two to Three Basic Colours: Most flags get this right. Clearly South Africa didn’t get this memo — it has six colours on its flag.
>No Lettering or Seals: Mexico has incorporated an extremely complicated seal into its flag — an eagle holding a serpent, perched atop a prickly pear cactus, atop a rock that hovers over a lake. Try drawing that, kids.
>Be Distinctive or Be Related: I understand why the Scandinavian flags are part of a family, but Australia and New Zealand’s flags are virtually identical.
Most European flags are good at this.

Your flag is awful though. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with lettering or seals. Kids don't necessarily have to be able to draw the flag

Our flag originated in the revolutions of 1848. It's said that it was adopted from the red and black uniforms with gold buttons that were worn by the resistance against Napoleon. The tricolor became a symbol of unification of the German states that had been separated for hundreds of years, for freedom and rights for the masses and for the democratic ideals of the revolution.
There's a version of the German flag with the coat of arms on it (golden with a black eagle), but it is only used by the government as well as stupid people and nazis.
What symbolism is behind your flag?

>romania
>european

It's three fucking lines, it looks embarrassing and I don't know how anyone could have pride in such a flag.

I don't like my flag either but it's still better than three lines

If every flag was as elaborated as the Venetian we'd now blab of how nice a minimalist flag would be.

first post best post

says Hungary

Because its modest.

>you should base a national symbol around whether or not kids can draw it

It's about being simplistic. Of course an uncivilised like you does not understand this.

good post

Symbols are for counties and duchies.

I suspect you need an overarching simple colors scheme to help incorporate all the smaller more unique ones.

Hey, dont be salty.
It works out fine with yours.

Here is an a-grade flag.

>Why not have a symbol of your country instead of a few lines?
Because that's what the coat of arms is for?

wew
For a moment I thought it's a food can wrapping.

Do you want the monarchy back?
Your former king seems pretty popular, at least from what I read on Wikipedia

I'd rather have a tricolor than a foreign symbol on my flag.

But wait, there's more!

Honestly if your flag doesn't have a machete or an assault rifle in it I can't even take it seriously.

>George Cross

Yes. I have nothing against it, I just don't see why it should be on the flag.

eternal imbecil

So you want it gone?
Maybe replace it with the Cross of Malta?

Wasn't it done because the Brits were too lazy to award all the crosses after WW2?

>too lazy
Bit rude mate it was to show we have solidarity with your island brethren and we have great respect for them

The Maltese cross ain't Maltese either, I'd either have it plain white and red, or have it re-designed. The George Cross was given to the Maltese for bravery during WII (or to shut us up because the country got rekt from the air raids).

>This is a legit flag.

You think that's bad? look at this vomit.

Ah yes, sub-Saharan Africa. It's always fun to see what they come up with.

Because they all decided to copy our style.

>good flags

American
British
Brazilian
Argentinian
Korean
Cuban
Spanish
Portuguese

>shit flags

Italian
French
German
Polish
Romanian
Irish
Canadian
Australian
Any other tri or dual color flags

>burger talking shit

Why is this something that people think they can just not put any work into it? It's supposed to be a big deal.

Maryland's flag is often held in high regard, but it causes me eyestrain.

As a general rule, the smaller a territory gets, the worse its flags become.

Pocatello's flag is so bad, wikipedia only has a tiny .jpg version of it.

Zagreb County coat of arms
the thing in the centre is supposed to be a spring

Dude disregard the spring, what the fuck is that thing on the top left?

>this is an actual flag
I think we have a winner.

literally no clue
some human bean, I guess

behold, the genuine flag of a county in cali

Original flag reporting in.

This is now a national emblem thread

Germany's flag is alright, it has unique colors and is easily identified

oh, no I just found out that the thing in the top left is supposed to be A FUCKING LEOPARD also, pic related is from wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_counties_of_the_United_States#Louisiana, but I still cannot believe that this is genuine

Can you imagine that this abomination actually won in a contest? It is a kitchen sink flag.
I also like the colors. The geometry is boring because it's just a horizontal tricolor. I liked the proposed Nordic Cross flags for Germany from 1919 and 1944 I think.

>American
No it's ugly and uninspired

Amsterdam has the best flag.

This was a 1919 proposed flag for Germany.

It's actually perfect in every way. It has amazing color contrast, it's incredibly distinct, it has 50 stars for 50 states. We have 13 stripes to represent our 13 original colonies. It uses the three best colors that exist. It is flagkino.

The German flag would look way better with less saturation.

This here was proposed by the German resistence against the nazis by Stauffenberg and his allies.

We have the gayest flag in the world man, what are you talking about?

And this one was a proposal for Western Germany (Federal Republic of Germany) in 1948. Take your pic, I like them all.
Idiot

Why are all German flags so depressing?

That is officially the gayest flag ever.

It are supposed to be those leaves that float in Dutch rivers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuphar_lutea

JUST

Ordnung. You will find nothing but tricolors, bicolors and emblems on German flags.
I still like the color combination of that one.
You'll have to look for football flags to find something out of the ordinary.

Bremen is a notable exception.
I liked the blue-white version.

Why did they make it red.

HELP IM DROWNING

the flag

So it resembles a monkies ass.

yes

hey shut up that's my flag

Extraflags?

What the fuck is Naruto doing in your coat of arms?

better than my state's flag

What is it supposed to represent?

I see a B2 bomber going after some British ship.

nothing wrong with pan-african colors

Well it sucks. But that's okay, mine sucks too. It's pic related with a baked lion in the middle.
Ja hier
Could be worse. Could have a plain blue background. But the seal is terrible.

the red and white was the flag of spain at the time they discovered and mapped us
aaaaaaaaand they plopped the state seal onto it

Personally, I dunno, and I don't really care. I think it'd be great if our parties no longer had to fight for presidency and we'd have him as a glorified diplomat because that's basically what the president is, but his heir is not very popular.

Also he himself is not as popular as you might think. A lot of people are sore about the fact that he overthrew Antonescu and sold us to the soviets.

>having a rectangular flag
how uninspired

actually that isnt my flag, i was shitposting
pic is my actual flag

t. red cross

I like the Dutch Caribbean flags.

His heir is a woman right? And succession law prohibits that, no?

Antonescu was pro-Axis and was overthrown for a pro-western government just as the commies arrived? Am I right? And that led to Ceausescu eventually

Good flag.

I didn't have fried egg in a long time