Daily Thread: Good OC Edition

ITT: we /daily/ or /blog/

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/....

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uxUATkpMQ8A
youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alex_g/race/
agnf.bandcamp.com/
ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/inward-eye
advaita2.bandcamp.com/album/sun-of-earth
rateyourmusic.com/release/mixtape/amnesia-scanner/as-truth/
youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=1619s
youtube.com/watch?v=UwWFLYglsJM&list=PL00016CABFD8D3EAE
youtube.com/watch?v=Rvx5ed7Px3o&t=4s
rateyourmusic.com/~dave
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eiafuawn/birds_in_the_ground/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

DEPORT

YAMIR

bless

fascist

we'll see about that kiddo

Im not mexican im puertorrican i have american citizenship

@transcore
Still need 2015 recs?
Lightning bolt- fantasy empire
Felix laband- deaf safari
Destroyer- poison season

ITT stuff yo listened to because someone compared something yu like to it, dismissively*

youtube.com/watch?v=uxUATkpMQ8A

>kinda builds up step by step until the last chorus so it never feels redundant
>gang shouts
>truth be told I'M LYIN'! xD
>the lamest fucking "guitar solo" of all time paired with that pose in the video xDD
>dat sarcasm in general
>catchy as sin but that's kind of a given
i love it, what more could you ask from this kinda sorta thing?

reminds me of Hellogoodbye's early stuff too, which i dig

*actually co idr if that review implied aar was bad but it's how found some real good stuff that i unfairly just didnt feel like bothering with ever like MSI, haven't made a list of what exactly but i shoulda, just for myself, idk

i accidentally closed the topsters tab a while ago lul

Gives You Hell is semi-unironically great. It's fun, at the very least, albeit primarily for nostalgia factor

AAR songs get really dull really quickly though—there's way too much cloying repetition in the singles at least. I'd blanket state that AAR is bad, but I admittedly haven't listened in years

Speaking of trash, I'd rec you Kevin Rudolf. You might actually enjoy him, no joke.

I posted a William Carlos Williams poem on /lit/ telling them it was by Rupi Kaur and have got two pretty funny/ignorant responses so far.

Review of For Philip Guston, let me know if it's of any worth:
While much of the European avant-garde of the 20th century were concerned with the on-paper composition of their music, attempting to progress from the continent's extensive historical background in art – reforming traditional rules of harmony, melody, and notation – many artists in America, with less history to work off, took to turning music into something that was not so much the product of academic construction but an event, or "happening", relying upon chance and natural incidence as much as human intention.

The American avant-garde scene also saw some of the greatest abstract painters such as Rothko and Hofmann. Of course, this music is inspired by Philip Guston who, during his participation in abstract expressionism, worked with a reduced palette to create works that channeled the directional geometry of Mondrian and the ambiguity of late Monet.

These characteristics seem to show up here in Morton Feldman's music to me; the simplicity (or at least sparseness) of the melody and the precision of rhythm and timbre reflect a certain mathematical rigour, but meanwhile the scale of the work (over 4 hours) and the combinations of different time signatures playing simultaneously creates a mist of obscurity over the piece. It becomes a monolith of subtle sound that is balanced almost equally with silence – something that came to be respected with great reverence in 20th century composition – that can fall completely into the background due to its minimal sound, or hold the listener in a strangling trance as each note or chord seems to anticipate the next with extreme tension.

Also what should my 900th RYM rating be?

Sugar Daddy by Joe King Kologbo and the High Grace

hmm i might still try one of their albums someday
>Kevin Rudolf
i'm not sure which commercial this song was in
did he "sample" the crowd from the Faint video?
wayne's verse is just 30 seconds, probably for the best
his voice & technique is complete shit, i'll pass that as "emo influence" i guess
yeah it's my kinda shitty mainstream pop

just like, from the related videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY
>we keep it gangsta, poppin bottles at the crib every night
this is the kind of lyric you really come to relate to as you get older

[1/2]

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
>Psych Rock

First of all - wild that this was a controversial album. Sure, some of the songs are a bit political in nature but they’re all pretty positive overall. Musically, this isn’t too crazy by today’s standards either. It’s poppy, albeit psychedelic rock with a lot of that heavily distorted laser-like guitar tone. Nice vibes on here, with some more upbeat cuts and many darker, acid-y, political ones.

“Hey Frederick” is dope and exactly what I like about this band. It’s basically everything they do well. Grace Slick belting out over thick, psychedelic guitars and such. It feels like a nice little jam session, with pounding piano, crashing drums, etc. It’s heavy without being too overwhelming and psychedelic without feeling cheesy. “Wooden Ships” has kind of the same feeling - there’s that really heavy, psych guitar kind of sound that just blasts through the track and it’s awesome. I suppose it’d be annoying if they did it for a whole album. But at the same time, the normal pop songs are just so bland that they just don’t match up to the peaks on here with that dope guitar.

“Eskimo Blue Day” builds on some of those ideas. There’s a little flute thrown in as well to give what I’m assuming they felt was a mystical feel. It’s a bit cheesy but damn does it work. There’s some very funk-influenced little drum breakdowns that are just great. In addition to all of these heavily psychedelic rock tracks, there’s some pop cuts. “The Farm” feels really quaint, with the group singing about life on in the country. It’s quite positive and comfortable imo. And “A Song For All Seasons” has a cool country twang. Most of them, though, don’t really do much. The first two tracks on here are probably the weakest, not gonna lie.

Shows some stylistic versatility, solid songwriting and some really groovy tunes. Solid overall, even if the first two songs are kind of duds.

3/5

[2/2]

Cat Power - Moon Pix
>Indie Folk, Slowcore

This style of female vocalist has become one of my favorites. Probably isn’t the right word to describe it but “sultry” is the first word that pops into my mind when I hear this. There’s something oddly passionate about a voice like this in the lower registers and I just can’t get enough of it. Cat Power (Chan Marshall) uses her voice to perfectly match the really depressing style of indie folk. In a lot of ways, this album reminds me of Geek the Girl. It feels deeply personal, powerful and just downright depressing.

I’m a sucker for this type of folk, so basically I absolutely loved it. Also, it has a song that incorporates rain, which automatically bumped it a star.

Gonna dive back into this again soon, I can already tell. Probably my favorite so far.

4.5/5

>sdc watches uncommentedpannen
patrician

Give me recommendations based on this image
Preferrably EPs because i dont have time for music

Im making a 4x4 chart so please dont give me too many

a jimmy jazz press is a jimmy jazz press. you can't say it's only a half
My friend recommended me that cat power album a while ago. I really should give it a listen.

This isn't an EP, but it's only 30 min so hopefully that's short enough
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alex_g/race/

agnf.bandcamp.com/
ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/inward-eye
advaita2.bandcamp.com/album/sun-of-earth

i like this review, but i feel like maybe you forgot to mention a thing or two. I think it's not that americans didn't have much history to work from, at least not on Feldman's case, but rather that he was fucking tired of everyone being about either Schoenberg or Bach. He said that in an interview i think, and he also expanded saying that on the art scene everyone was doing their own thing, so he got influenced by that (can't speak for indeterminacy as a movement tho). You also mentioned obscurity, but it's more about sadness really. Guston and Feldman had fought hard so they didn't talk to each other, and then Guston dies years later and he gets really sad about it, so it's his way to mourn his death. Good review tho, you explained very nicely how i feel about the composition, props to that

Yeah, I'm probably overrating it because I love that style. But I'd definitely recommend giving it a chance, especially if it sounds up your alley

Ulver - Bregtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
[1995]

Nice. Third norwegian black metal record I've listened to and so far they've all been great. This one has a folkier/softer approach, better production and a mix of ethereal and growled vocals; there's even a bit of field recordings on the third track and it's actually overall pretty diverse and eclectic with the instrumentation. Very hyped to hear Nattens madrigal now.

o shit

listen to this rateyourmusic.com/release/mixtape/amnesia-scanner/as-truth/

Nana Vasconcelos - Saudades
Andrew Poppy - The Beating of Wings
Terry Riley - Persian Surgery Dervishes

Thank you, really great feedback here. Perhaps I'll edit it for more accuracy.

can anyone rec me some psychedelic idm/techno albums like these?

youtube.com/watch?v=1SDa_Jqmuiw&t=1619s
youtube.com/watch?v=UwWFLYglsJM&list=PL00016CABFD8D3EAE
youtube.com/watch?v=Rvx5ed7Px3o&t=4s

i forgot to mention this but the recs also have to be good

thanks

TOTAL
DOMINATION

which one of you did this also should i finish this old chart i never finished it

classical curves is neato even though I don't love it personally

no, nothing interesting left
do this instead

what's the last album on the chart?
also the one in the 3rd one in 3rd row looks like grouper's carrying a dead deer up a hill but the picture was taken 10 years prior

Martha - Blisters in the Pit of My Heart

listen to classical curves and ditch it

wtf

nine more
gimme bleeps

no

Ata Kak - Obaa Sima

Jam City - Classical Curves
%]

jimmy jam city

o ou
do it...

>The Necks - Chemist

Unlike most of their albums, this is a multi-track affair that starts right out of the gate with “Fatal”. This track immediately features The Necks’ always stellar drum and acoustic bass combo, establishing a dark, mysterious tone at a steady pace. Organ synths punctuate the open spaces between the steady drum beats like a tuneful morse code. Jets of quiet noise burst in the left and right channels briefly as the piano steadily streams over everything. What sounds like a violin can be heard in the background pensively humming, rising in volume before fading again. The same is done with a heavily distorted guitar. These pieces move in and out of the fray while the drum continues its steady beat. This is one of their most well put-together tracks, with all the elements fitting together perfectly to create quite the hypnotic atmosphere. As the track slowly evolves over the course of its 20 minute run-time, the tempo slowly but surely increases and the aforementioned elements start popping up more frequently. The piano becomes more restless and the noise gets louder, drowning out the steady background beat, until the beat fades out and we are swallowed by the noise. The noise then too fades out and the track ends. It’s an okay ending, not as cathartic as it could have been, but satisfying nonetheless.

(1/2)

The next track, “Buoyant”, opens with some microsound while the drums ever so lightly tap in the background with some bass and piano flourishes gradually added in over time. This is the majority of the track until the drumming gradually increases in tempo and volume and becoming the main focus as the microsound experiments disappear entirely. Then the drumming exits and we are left with a single synth note, the piano, and bass. This track really isn’t all that interesting at all, and is mainly where the album loses points with me. The microsound, while cool on its own, feels way out of place and they really don’t do anything interesting with it.

The final track, “Abillera”, opens slowly with single note acoustic bass plucking for about 3 minutes. Once the bass fades out, heavily distorted piano and heavily reverbed guitar fade in and shimmer for a little bit before ahh there’s that drumming again, always the best part, chugging away at a really odd, almost mathy time signature. This continues for a little while before the drumming fades out and the piano becomes the main focus, playing an incredibly happy, hopeful melody. This continues to the end of the track as everything fades out once again. Another rather uneventful track but more pleasant and cohesive than the previous one.

So by far, the first track is the best, showing off what the band can do within the constraints of minimal, improvised jazz while sounding fresh and not retreading previous ground. The electric guitar was a nice touch, but it’s quite underused in the next two tracks. Overall, I’m a bit disappointed. The energy doesn’t come through on this record like it does in some of their best work. Take Hanging Gardens for example. If this review intrigued you at all, check out that album instead. Still, if you like The Necks, and you haven’t heard this yet, this album is well worth your time.

nattens is a lot more repetitive and strictly black metal, but it's still cool. glad u liked bergtatt!

ranking 2017: curated by Rod

btw, is AS' first ep worth a listen too?

deepchord presents echospace - liumin
objekt - kern vol. 3
phuture - acid tracks
dj sprinkles - queerifications and ruins
scuba - fabric 91
herbert - around the house
blawan - what you do with what you have
joe smooth - promised land
sandwell district - sandwell district
terrestre - secondary inspection
avalon emerson - whities 006
joe louis - love of my own

>btw, is AS' first ep worth a listen too?
they've yet to come close to bettering it

will start tomorrow

at first i was like 'wow this looks like a meme' now im like hey this looks kinda cool

the vocals sound very badly recorded

yeah yeah i'll do it

thankyou

>BC comp 2.5
that's what you get for listening to a basic channel comp

also what do you intend to do with all those fish

Angels Rig Hook?
if a 15 minute cosmic radioplay about the ultimate cyber hybrid fusion of humans that goes hard as fuck sounds good, go for it.
yourdicklooksgreatinthoseheels.com

but is it worth listening to

sorry finished the chart before i saw this

as ep

every time you post this chart i get an erection

either one is fine

ye I stick to their EPs now

I intend to become a fish thru immersion

but how much is the fish? %0

I'll just check all their stuff out

and rod is this what you're into?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

dave who? mustaine? that dave mustaine?

Dave Bowie? :0

>yourdicklooksgreatinthoseheels.com

what album is that picture referring to?

what dave is it
dave mustaine
dave brubeck
dave (that one minion from despicable me)

Dave & Buster's? :0

all wrong
rateyourmusic.com/~dave

dirty projectors? aka david (dave) longstreth

non
nope :0
see bottom
this dave v
yes! winner! next 22ashillion right here folks

My chart for next month (mostly shit I had in my backlog for a long time and never got around to listen).

Opinions? Recs?

>Opinions?
fabulous muscles is a fantastic entry point to xiu xiu. it's literally nobody's favorite album by them, once you're done, go for another one of their albums depending on which song style you liked most.

>Recs?
can't really rec you anything if i don't know your opinions!

>great
just got back, hounds of love
>good
fetch, new album
>shit
humility in the light, grandeur of hair

oh also that brave little abacus album is shit

Thanks man. Actually Fabulous Muscles it's the only Xiu Xiu studio album I've haven't heard yet, the new one was fucking awesome btw.

Also, the chart is reflective of my general tastes, so idk, I listen to hip hop and japanese rock mostly.

Well that's sad, I'm hopeful for those albums you mentioned as bad :(

are you all excited for my new album/totally new musical project :0 ?

Christian Calon / Chantal Dumas - Radio Roadmovies (2003)
>field recordings, musique concrète

Around halfway through this I realized how sad it was to be sitting alone in the dark listening to field recordings of storms, but whatever, this is cool. It plays out like a movie in a lot of ways. The first disc's setting is very serene and connected to reality, while the second disc's setting is in nature, disconnected from humanity, and the lack of any vocal recordings really drives that home. The first disc contains a lot of interview-esque recordings and some recordings of domestic life, which is more evocative than the storm sounds and nature sounds on the second disc, but the second disc is simply more interesting to listen to. I like the first disc just fine, but it tends to drag on a lot, especially when the speech recordings are presented with no manipulation. The storm sounds are interesting with or without manipulation, but the sparse musique concrète elements add quite a lot. I'm glad I gave this a listen, definitely deserves it's AntiWarhol given cult status.

3.0+

Oomp Camp - We Too Deep (2001)
>southern hip hop, crunk, gangsta rap

I'd probably like this a lot more if it wasn't /reaaaaaly/ repetitive. It starts off fantastically, the beats and the MCs are both on fire, and the aggression is palpable. And then it just kinda repeats the same thing for an hour. It's never not enjoyable, but they play their niche so much that it loses it's impact, and they're much better at gangsta tracks than booze/sex tracks. Fun listen, not much more.

dirty projectors album is bad
like funny bad

i've heard a depressingly low number of albums on there but Blood Visions is one of my favs of all time so I hope you like it.

hey weren't you the guy behind iron? is this similar to that because i might just listen to it

BTW come to the bandcamp threads! we are usually very friendly and will listen to you if youre not a meme genre and listen to other people. we also made a chart recently with the best boys from the threads.

i get sad whenever i've heard almost no albums on a chart
i've heard 3 from there :(

6 albums :|
alcachofa has a god tier opener but then it just turns into what feels like unfinished villalobos demos

>is this similar to that because i might just listen to it
Basically, Miss Miracle is Iron only I take it more seriously. Similar in style, though.

Diary is a great album, haven't heard anything else so i can't give much else of an opinion

i've heard 4 from user's chart, i haven't even heard hounds of love for chrissake!

and oof, hope alcachofa's at least worth the 70 minutes.

oh yeah diary's cool too, "Seven" and "In Circles" are some of the best '90s emo jamz

The few obvious ones I've heard are good. Recs: where are the /daily/ boys albums tho?

I like how this is just /chart/ these days also...

TMT panned it lol

their review was good actually

>Einstürzende Neubauten - Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.

Hmm. It's far more immusical (there are "normal" instruments, most prominently the bass, but they are just another sound alongside the mechanical noise rather than actively working to create anything conventional) than their later works. This seems like a mostly textural experience like most trve industrial , and I'm generally not hugely into that sort of thing. The bleak post-apocalyptic atmosphere is nice, but it does not really diversify itself much - or, perhaps, it does, and I just do not really have the ears to appreciate it.

>Steve Gunn - Time Off

It's very inoffensive. The atmosphere lacks any of the rustic Americana charm he's trying to channel from the likes of Fahey and Basho. I'm not really feeling the "psychedelic" nature of this album either, bar the final track. On the topic of that last track, I feel like Gunn would be better off exploring that Indian influence than he is sticking with a more traditional folk sound. I think Gunn could make something good if his sound were more refined, but this album is a dud - not terrible, but it's very bland and forgettable. The cello ended up being my favorite part.

Kanzler owes me an album with less than 100 ratings on RYM, as does tripup

Satchmo, more like TRASHmo

i think they gave it too much credit actually

Thank you boys.

>Plan B
FIRE

the singles weren't THAT bad from my memory, it seemed worth a 2.5 (by tmt standards) if everything was around that quality... are the non-singles that bad?

oh shit
you'd probably hate telstar drugs so
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eiafuawn/birds_in_the_ground/
yeah, actually,
the songwriting is consistently generic alt r&b and the production is consistently generic glitch pop with even MORE pop and wackiness

mfw all these peaks of music moments i need to listen to

>mfw zane has no face

but "little bubble" and "i see you" are decent
can't stand the pitch-shifting though
maybe tmt nailed this one

I've done something autistic. I can't say much but I'm working on a long project. Wrote a very long thing about a very long thing almost nobody heard

ok It wasn't Bach but Stravinsky, sorry for that mistake, here's the quote

>In my youth, for example, it was either Schoenberg or Stravinsky. One or the other. And yet, there were hundreds of other composers during that period as well.

and the context of that was more about how it's either Stockhausen or Cage, so yeah sorry for that mistake. Btw if you liked that one check out Patterns in a Chromartic Field. This one is more obscure in tone and really interesting too. Not as good as For Phillip Guston but it's a very good listening. Also what was the score man?

please never post this image ever again it made me cry

still havent listened to the new Sunkilmoon, for some reason just the thought of listening to 2 hours of that pisses me off

id say so but i'd have to listen to the whole thing

I haven't even listened to Benji
I haven't listened to Red House Painters either, now that I think about it

>moomin - time circle
solid deep house ep, first song is kinda uninteresting but loop no. 1 makes up for it. last song is basically a hip hop instrumental, i'll drone your 5 favorite albums if you rap a verse over it

i'll make sure to check it out soon. ran out of space in my chart :(

/daily/ has always kinda been /chart/ desu

those are some amazing round restrictions omg

did you draw this

no one should ever listen to 2 hours of sun kil moon, let alone one hour

>no one should ever listen to sun kil moon

FTFY