Is this what it feels like to have a franchise abandon you...

Is this what it feels like to have a franchise abandon you? It's not that I hate any one element of the new stuff they're rolling out, but I get the distinct feeling that I'm nowhere near the desired audience any longer, when previously, Star Wars was my wheelhouse.

I really went in to Force Awakens with an open mind, came away disappointed, and Rogue One looks boring as fuck. What happened? Does Disney despise the old Star Wars fanbase, or do they merely take it for granted that they'll show up and support the series?

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5965187/top-ten-rules-of-space-opera
twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/716676038902681600
youtube.com/watch?v=Kj08Jwp-2q0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Star Wars was always bad and for casuals

I'm not even discussing the quality, really. Like, the prequels were garbage but I was still more entertained and felt more appealed to by them. I even recognize Force Awakens is "better", yet it doesn't appeal.

why shit up the empire with diversity crap?

I don't know about you, but I'd kiss her little chipmunk face like there's no tomorrow.

I felt the same way OP. However I had 40k to fall back on and went back to painting my miniatures for that. Stars wars just doesn't interest me anymore besides the space ship designs, and the occasional lightsaber fight. I used to love it as a kid though, going so far as building my own spaceships out of legos (pic related). Even before the prequels I used to watch the OT over and over again.

It just isn't the same now and I've moved on now, and maybe so should you?

They know damn well that fans of the originals will show up. It's named star wars and has a massive budget. You, me and everyone who likes the original space opera will show up. SO WHY WOULD THEY PANDER TO US? Genuinely, when they are trying to make a box office record breaking hit, why would they give us what WE want? There are a million other demographics, why cater to the one that will show up no matter what as long as they have the rights to put starwars on it? Honestly. It makes no sense to please the "fans"(because that is all we are) when you could draw in women and blacks. ( don't pretend they did not pull massive viewers and dollars out of that demographic by casting a black storm trooper, because Obama would have been elected a king if it were an option)

I knew when I heard Disney was buying Star Wars that they were going to shit out a bunch of stuff that would make the fanbase upset.
Disney is mainstream as they get, they are marketing to kids and people in the inner city with 1mil+ incomes and are liberal as fuck who spend huge money to come to their parks. They don't do it for old fat nerds who watch comic book movies.
In twenty years this will be the 'nostalgia' movie.

It's literally the same space adventure shit it's always been.

i've completely lost interest

i was a hardcore star wars fan

feels like a part of me has died but it just seems like they don't give a shit about the mythology

Time to grow up.
Should've stopped watching after ESB.

>Does Disney despise the old Star Wars fanbase, or do they merely take it for granted that they'll show up and support the series?

Despise? They don't despise, they just don't care who they are addressing at all except for who will make more money. They run a bunch of charts to producers and, as it is expected, a younger audience is what they need, first because that's a lot of people, second because that people is more likely to buy their figures and toys and whatnot and third because they build a new fanbase that may watch SW movies in 2030. Perhaps they know the old audiences will be loyal to SW and watch it, but even if that was not the case, it would still be worth it. And it doesn't matter if you like it or not, just if you are willing to pay for it and watch it.

The only reason the movie industry attempt to make something at least slightly good or watchable is because of the logic that the better it is the more likely people will rewatch it, buy it, pay for it in some way. Except that logic is not really true. That's why if you are willing to watch something for the franchise name alone, you're corrupting that very franchise into something that dismisses quality.

I'll just leave this here...

>does Disney despise the original fan base of Star Wars?

Look at Simon Pegg's role in 'The Force Awakens' if you want an honest answer:
>Unkar Putt
>disgusting, bloated, petty individual
>tasked with caring for/protecting Rey (the future of Star Wars)
>keeper of the Millennium Falcon
>neglectful of Rey
>only cares about scavenging parts for the wreckage of the original trilogy
>has to watch as Rey and Finn fly away with his ship, leaving him behind.

When you recognize that Plutt is a caricature of Pegg and his generation of fans, you'll understand the contempt Disney has for you.

Go to bed, JJ.

The star wars fanbase is considered a "built in" fanbase which means you'll go see all of the movies no matter what. So they don't need to cater to you.

>Is this what it feels like to have a franchise abandon you?

That's what I felt during the prequels

These new Star Wars movies are much closer to the feel of the OT

no wonder i had an affinity for that guy

fun fact:
still havent seen TFA.
have no plans to either.
no desire to.
im 27, M.
born n raised in chicago.
so proud to say i havent seen it.
wont see any of the next 3 either.
i was nnevera fanboy of any of them, but i did enjoy the originals.
anyways, carry on son, you have school in the morning.
let the adults speak now

Holy Shit....*slits wrists*

i don't know exactly what it would take to make you happy, Sup Forums is incapable of enjoying anything. but no matter how upset you are always remember, you will never be as upset as the fans of resident evil were before they made every fucking movie about Alice.

imagine the fans, they heard a resident evil movie was coming out, they'd been waiting for years, talking to their friends "this will make a great movie series one day!" all of these awesome games. and then the movie gets released, and it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the games. you will never know that level of sorrow.

>Is this what it feels like to have a franchise abandon you?

Are you one of those who have popped up in recent years who unironically enjoys the prequels?

How could you think a corporation like Disney cares about anything but money

pottery

intriguing, very intriguing.

>original space opera
Star Wars is not remotely a space opera. It's pure fantasy.

I don't. I think they're pretty bad. I wouldn't watch em' again. I do think, however, they're more creative and feel more Star Warsy than the new ones are.

>more creative
>feel more star warsy
Can you elaborate?

Can't, really. It's an indescribable feeling. Same reason why the new ones don't appeal to me. They lack something, and I have no idea what it is.

You stopped being the desired audience when you aged past 18. It's all about getting the kids interested so they can get mommy's credit card to pay for toys of their favorite characters.

I'm 18 and I think tfa was shit

Hrm, I asked you to elaborate because I'd say the exact opposite. I do get that TFA was basically just ANH with different characters, but because of the prequels I think it had to be done.

Why is there a tourist in the background?
Why does Pegg look like he's in a mid-budget TV show, and not a massive film?

Unless you are chinese I don't think you're in a demographic they particularly care about.
All the massive reshoots are being made to make the movie more palatable for China.

Seriously?

Is "white America" not a big enough or excepted enough demographic or something now, you know, the original fucking demographics and greatest fanbase of Star Wars.

Chinese see more movies. They don't care about you anymore, Yankee.

It's all about the global market now. Why do you think everyone harps on about the Chinese market as it's own thing instead of just saying "non-American market?"

if you read memo stuff they want to hit 2 billion regularly, not just as one offs and they're reshooting Rogue One to feel more like starwars.

>Chinese go to the theater more often.
*fixed

Some hard bait you're throwing there but just in case you were serious, or anyone else was curious: Google is your friend. Don't ignore him

>be 8
>Luke crashes his ship on Dagobah
>see that shitty set
>immediately understand that Star Wars is a big budget glorified tv soap opera
>never felt epic once again

Part of the core of being a space opera is being sci fi, something that star wars patently is not.

io9.gizmodo.com/5965187/top-ten-rules-of-space-opera

Got any sources for your shit opinion, or are just incredibly uncredible?

>gizmodo is the authority on the matter of anything
top kek user you crack me up

>27
>adult

Kek

>Can't back up his own opinion

Sounds like you haven't argued anything but emotionally driven bias before so I'll just turn 360 degrees on this one

>swn nibble your earlobe
;_;

>sci fi
>SCI FI IS ACTUALLY SCIENCE WAAAAAAAH

fuck off with that noise, nerd. it's not a small bunch of 60s authors jerking themselves anymore. fuck. right. off.

You're kidding but Pablo also said a very similar thing
>Kylo & the FO are collectors & OT purists who think the Empire was teh best & hate PT things like Jedi & Senate :)
twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/716676038902681600

It's OK user. I kind of doubt even Simon Pegg realized the joke was on him when he was given the role.

Y-you're not him, are you?

the only good thing after the prequels was the legacy series, KOTOR, and shit like that

and now it's gone.

No more jango fett as mandalore

no more yuhzan vong

no krayt

it's all "poof" non canon. Fuck em

THIS IS A REBELLION ISNT IT?

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj08Jwp-2q0

>people unironically liked the yuhzan vong and prequels

I didn't think this was possible

I'm with you OP. SW has been my shit since I was 4 (28 now). When I saw Ep VII, I left the theater feeling empty and unimpressed and almost embarrassed that I spent money on it. I feel the same about Rogue One. I cancelled preorders I had for figures from Ep VII and everything. Killing Han Solo was basically a metaphor for killing my fandom of the series. I no longer care about any of this new shit. At least we have the OT and cool video games from the past and that's all I'll care for. It sucks but what can you do.

The worst part is watching everyone else around you being overly hyped when anything about the new movies surfaces and I just feel left out.

Who is Pablo?
And I'm completely serious. I feel bad for hardcore original fans when Disney makes its low opinion of them so readily apparent.

can you even read? Are you blind? Retarded? there's a word in their called "after"

I didn't like the prequels. Fuck your bait.

If you're an adult who feels like an entertainment franchise can "abandon" you, well it's a pretty clear signal that you've still got some growing up to do, heed its call.

>or do they merely take it for granted that they'll show up and support the series?
Why did you even make this thread?

Let me spell it out for you

Star wars fans will see a star wars movie regaurdless to who it caterd to. Females dont want to watch star wars. So in order to make more jew gold, disney are now catering to the stronk female audience

Shit sucks

>backs his opinion up with gizmodo
also just an fyi i'm not the guy you were talking to moron

I'm a huge star wars fan, but I didn't see it in theaters. I just watched the torrent.

Is 2016 the worst year for movies ever? There's nothing I'm looking forward to except Neon Demon.

Why wouldn't Disney do that though? They're in the business of making money, not art, in which case they wouldn't be making star wars in the first place.

Star Wars has always been for a wide fanbase. How the fuck do you think it made so much money over the years? Do you think a secret club of nerds just bought that much shit and normal people just discovered it? Stop whining. Star Wars is for everyone, not just for you.

There's Suicide Squad.

Why would I look forward to that?

nah, the worst year for movies was probably from sometime before the invention of the camera. Hard to say though.

Because it's going to be good.

wow your technicality sure showed me and changed my mind. Just kidding, fuck off.

The triple-whammy of video games, comics and now Star Wars was pretty hard to bear, but now I'm more focused on real life, so I guess it's a plus.

Still kinda sucks to have all my escapist outlets taken away though.

Disney literally reshot all of Rogue One just to recapture the old Star Wars aesthetic feel.

They haven't "abandoned" anyone.

You're just feeling flustered and annoyed because women and people of color are headlining these movies instead of your precious white males so you feel threatened.

That's literally all there is to it. You're a scared little manchild afraid of a world that no longer revolves around you.

WHOA CHILL

It is annoying. I bought into all this liberalism stuff on the idea of equality, unity and togetherness, not the drive for outright replacement and ostracization that you sjw's are gunning for.

At least we still have Star Trek though.

One of the members of Lucasfilm, he's a big part in the storygroup. They oversee canon decisions for the lore of star wars. Everything goes through them when they make a decision. Its just funny Pablo recognizes how retarded the fans are. His twitter is gold because he deals with autistic shitheads everyday.

It's not like Han Solo and Kylo Ren, two white males, aren't in the movie or anything.

>Disney literally reshot all of Rogue One just to recapture the old Star Wars aesthetic feel.
This is a good hook to get in oldfag fans that didn't like FA. The old "we reshot to make it more like how it used to be" bait.

But white males have to be the hero that every kid wants to be! No one wants to be an old dead man or an emo 29 year old father-killing virgin!

Does sci-fi really just mean "lasers" to you guys? That's like saying that any movie with a horse in it is a western.

Sci-fi is all about asking questions. You take current moral problems and then enhance them with technology, like a police state that knows what you're going to do before you do. Or you imagine what new moral issues will arise because of technology, like if androids can have humanity.

Star Wars doesn't ask any questions, it's a classic fantasy tale. You have heroes, magic, swords, sage old knights, a damsel in distress, strange and exotic creatures and locations, and the hero must undergo a quest to find himself or save the universe or whatever. That's fine and there's a reason why it's so popular. But the genre is space fantasy, not sci-fi.

>whiny bitch, loses to Mary Sue
>dead old man, did nothing but praise Mary Sue
uhhhhh

So hes just trolling the internet

Fanboys hate him.

Only because he crushes their stupid dreams and calls them out for being stupid. Someone's gotta do it.

But then there's the fact that they literally are reshooting the movie retard.

Look at the shit he puts up with.

>SNOKE CONFIRMED PLAGIUES
>IS KOTOR CANON
>A RED LIGHTSABER = REVAN
>2 YEAR OLD PACKAGING CONFIRMS BOBA MANDO

Are you too stupid to know those were confirmed fake rumors just like the force tree? Is this board filled with complete retards or lazy sacks of shit who cant search?

so? that means it'll be good and like the original star wars? wew
sorry I don't follow sjwars more closely.

I feel you senpai. I deliberately stayed out of the Sup Forums hate box around sjwing in muh comics but it's gotten too present and in your face to ignore.

The prequels and the OT had an overwhelming amount of care from all of the audio visual departments that gave it its charm. Now they do the bare minimum and it feels like a 5/10 superhero movie

cool blog faggot

Its only getting worse as time goes on. Wait until 2017

Theyre reshooting to add more jokes because they were worried it was too dark retard

yeah it's a bunch of women writing horrid "alien romance" novels

every time i look at the SF/F section of amazon i want to vomit

this is the era of the studio, not the director.
everything good and bad from that era (from 80s to late 90s) came from directors: stealing work (star wars is a ripoff of the seven samurai, an old jap flick), imitating movies they like (predator, universal soldier), or just doing what they want. it was a directors movie, so it was different.

today the lack of directors and the fact the studios dont want to let anything to chance (the profits have also increased in some cases threefold from an old action or summer blockbuster) means you will get PG-13 like movies, without any actual tension, as tension is usually involved with, you know, actual drama, which is kinda going away for now.

I expect we will have raw, 80s type movies back in 10 years or so when we get bored of the clean aesthethic.

that movie was so forgettable i didn't even know he was in it until now... kinda sad desu.

Who is this? I haven't seen read up on any of the sequels. She's gorgeous.

I've seen it twice and didn't know he was in it until just now. I recently showed it to someone who hadn't ever seen Star Wars, and she thought it was boring. For the first hour or so, it's just one action scene right after the next without really any plot movement.

>I get the distinct feeling that I'm nowhere near the desired audience any longer
I feel this way too. Like Disney don't even care anymore about the old fans with the way they got rid of the extended universe, yet decided to pick and choose elements from there, replacing characters and names and making a movie out of.

Movies like Rogue One are made for people who never read any Extended Universe games, TFA wasnt made for the die hard fans that like to see new content - something that Lucas never let us down with even though it was risky... and hence Disney takes no risks.

DC/Lucas Prequels = risk takers
Marvel/Disney = doing the same thing over again

It looks like something that would be "cool" for young teenagers and no one else.