Matthew McConaughey Is Interested In Reprising His True Detective Character

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/matthew-mcconaughey-true-detective-season-3?mbid=social_twitter

>“I miss Rust Cohle, man,” McConaughey admitted on DirecTV’s Rich Eisen Show. “I miss watching him on Sunday nights.”

>The sentiment is not only shared by first-season True Detective viewers, but by HBO, which dealt with disastrous reviews when the second season of the Nic Pizzolatto-created drama, starring Rachel McAdams, Vince Vaughn, and Colin Farrell, failed to live up to the first. In fact the feedback to the sophomore season was so troubling that HBO reportedly only agreed to grant the show a third season if Pizzolatto changed the way he runs the series. Pizzolatto and HBO are presumably looking for a season-three Hail Mary, and McConaughey hinted that he reached out to his former collaborator to discuss the possibility of returning, despite the show's anthology format.

>“It would have to be the right context, the right way,” McConaughey told Eisen. “That thing—when I read [the original script] I knew in 20 minutes if I can play this guy, Rustin Cohle, I’m in.”

Please god

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KqMQbjaKV5s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fallen on hard times?

It wasn't the characters desu it was the shitty directing and writing

While that would be Great, what would it be about?

prequel about Rust

Pls let it happen and be good somehow.

Critics are a big reason why film and TV are so unoriginal these days. Anytime someone tries something different they trash it.

They're even more conservative and retarded than general audiences at this point.

If Rust reappears and the same direction is taken for the third season then theres a chance the character will be ruined. I'm fine with Rust as a cameo, but to bring him back because they think thats what made S1 so good is ridiculous.

Please. I would really like this.

That would probably be better than a sequel. After the hospital scene I'd like to think Rust just retired and lived out his days in peace. I know the cult is still out there but let someone else pick up the case Rust has suffered enough.

I'd watch it. McConaughey is my kino husbado and Rust was incredible.

>>“I miss Rust Cohle, man,” McConaughey admitted on DirecTV’s Rich Eisen Show. “I miss watching him on Sunday nights.”

He's so unlikeable.

As much as I'd like this, if they fuck it up and spoil the character I'll be pretty disappointed. S1 is great, I don't want anything to ruin it. It's bad enough it shares a name with that piece of shit season 2.

Solution: bring back Fukunaga as well, it's not like he's been doing anything worthwhile since TD S1, and maybe this time they would let him do more episodes like he wanted

Yea a Rust cameo might be better than having him as a leading character that's true.

So either a prequel about his time as an undercover cop or a new story where he just makes a cameo appearance.

prequel series about how Cohle lost his faith in humanity while a drug addict undercover. get Ray Liotta to be his handler/boss. Ian Mcshane as the big bad. Mia Kirshner as Cohle's wife, who gives up on him when their kid dies. either Schrader, Ferrara, or Carnahan to direct all eps.

>it's not like he's been doing anything worthwhile since TD S1
Beasts of no Nation?

I could live with a sequel set 10-15 years down the road. Rust acts as a mentor to a new detective that is investigating the cult. However, the protagonist begins to distrust Rust because of all the conspiracy theories behind everything which in turn leads the detective to become massively paranoid about everyone in his life.

Shoggoth makes an appearance

>>it's not like he's been doing anything worthwhile since TD S1
really? dude did Beasts of No Nation, worked like half a year or longer on adapting IT, and is now adapting The Alienist. he's been quite busy on worthwhile projects, mate.

Thats retarded ! You are moron!

I don't feel that what took place before Rust joined needs to be shown, how it was described was perfect for what the series needed. Anything taking place after would feel hollow because things were wrapped up pretty nicely.
I love Rust and I loved S1, but to do anything more with it would be wrong. Shit sucks but I really don't see how they could realistically bring him back while being as good as s1.

Only if they ditch Pizza and get a competent writer/director team. Pizza would 100% ruin the character and fuck everything up.

Truly an underrated director.

wouldn't that make Rust like in his 50s or 60s? how old was he at the end of season 1? anyone have a season 1 timeline?

I'd only watch it if the director of the 1st season came back.

This.

TD Season 0

yeah, Sin Nombre and his Jayne Eyre adaptation are topnotch, too.

This would be fucking awful. Also what happened to this guy's career? He had a great run for a couple of years but after Interstellar he completely vanished. Will that movie about him being in Japan or something ever come out?

Late 50's. But u swear it matters. Wouldn't affect the character.

Here is the interview. if you want the full interview just click on rich eisens main page.

youtube.com/watch?v=KqMQbjaKV5s

I really hope they come back for another season one day.

Season 3 will be rust and McASSdoms

He's got a movie coming out like this week, dude.

The Dark Tower series

civil war movie come out Friday, user.

I hope this is gud. I really do.

nah, love him or hate him, TD is Pizz's baby. kinda like how NYPD Blue was Milch's and it never recovered after he was gone. then again, the quality of the show was getting spotty during his last couple of seasons with Ricky Schroeder at the main cop. Caruso and Smits era was tops.

>If Rust reappears and the same direction is taken for the third season then theres a chance the character will be ruined. I'm fine with Rust as a cameo, but to bring him back because they think thats what made S1 so good is ridiculous.

it is guaranteed to be ruined if they bring him back.

Pizza is a hack.

>0%

dude takes a little break after filming back to back to back tv series and films, mate. give him a break. he's loaded and there's more to life than work.

He's doing that Napoleon project that Kubrick had planned at some point.

Why not do it during that inbetween time when Rust was in Alaska? Whether you pick Summer or Winter, you've got a setting that's rife for an unusual lighting scheme, and the ability to tell a mostly isolated story.

>He had a great run for a couple of years but after Interstellar he completely vanished.

you don't need have a movie come out every year to have a good career. he works on what he wants to work on. if he doesn't feel like working, he won't work.

They should bring back Vince Vaughn if only for the vinceposting

I wanna see his deep cover drug interdiction shit. It would be so easy for them too

a reference/callback would be the absolute maximum they should do, and even that would be silly. bringing him back into the series is dumb and only shows how desperate hbo is. of course, in truth they really are desperate; got is almost over and all they have left is the leftovers (rimshot) and nothing else coming in their pipeline except maybe the next david simon series which we all know won't last longer than a single season.

yeah, i read that's next on his slate after The Alienist. the Napoleon one is really the project to look out for. i don't see how he can do another TD unless HBO pushes back the Napoleon project for a cop series. then again, McConaughey, Fukunaga, and Pizzolatto returning would be pretty sweet deal for an ailing network (quality-wise).

that's a pretty good idea. make it a 4-6 episode series with Rust still battling his demons returning home to Alaska only to find you can never really go back home. not to mention he's still haunted by the case in Louisiana. think you hit the nail on the head here.

well, they do still have David Milch in their stable of creators and he's desperate for money so...

Winter, too. never count that guy out.

Perhaps someone he knew is the killer. Rust deciding to hide the crime fits with his character, and gives a good reason nothing about it ever pops up or is mentioned when he's talking about where he went all those years.

i would rather they leave that case as it is. make this one a standalone, with references to the first season but not the driving force behind the new narrative.maybe while he's in Alaska, an old buddy asks for his help on a new case, and seeing how that one goes is the reason he returns to Louisiana. maybe he's haunted by visions of the old case. just my two cents.

THE WAR WAS LOST

i hope

THE TREATY SIGNED

Holy shit yes please HBO please

I WAS NOT KEKED

THE CHILD ISN'T MINE

SUMMER LOVIN HAD ME A BLAST

I really like the Alaska setting for TD.

They could have it during that downtime but I also think it's the only thing I could see working as a sequel story.

Rust retires to Alaska, trying to live out a peaceful, quiet life alone. Maybe after the experiences of S1 he's even become some what interested in native spirituality or something like that, not saying he's full on religious now as I think the TD S1 ending was more about him connecting with the pain of losing his daughter than it was about him "finding God" but still he had some insane experiences and that can change people, maybe he's become more curious what other people think about life after death or something like that after what he experienced. He starts interacting with local native spiritual types, which could be very interesting with Rust as an open minded but highly skeptical individual, like he wants to learn what they think but doesn't necessarily want to become a believer. During this time mysterious things start happening on the reservation and rust gets pulled back into the world of being a detective.

Native American religion leaves room for all sorts of pseudo supernatural shenanigans, like maybe the people think the killer is a Wendigo, and it would be interesting to see a slightly changed Rust confront something like that again.

i dont know what you wrote but i disagree that green paint = green ears = carcosa

Huh?

Autentic Investigator: Rust Cohle - The Crash Years