Post artists you think are industry plants

post artists you think are industry plants

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kitchen_Tapes_(Weezer_album)
youtube.com/watch?v=byfEFAzl2Cw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Go back to /x/

The how do you explain Pinkerton

All 'artists' within the capitalist music industry are by definition industry plants at least to a certain extent

Tobias Jesso Jr.

>didn't play the piano until he was 27
>on adele records at 28

What does this industry plant meme mean? What industry? what's the purpose?

Music industry. To sell absurd amounts of records.

KISS

People like Florence Welch and Lana Del Ray. Always turns out daddy was very rich.

Pretty sure Skrillex's adoptive father basically paid for him to be the singer in From First To Last before he decided to make wubwubs.

I read somewhere that Weezer were playing a lot of the blue material at several la bars and venues before they made the blue album. I think you are jelly.

What artists aren't plants that don't want to sell records?

Theyre just jews.

Good ones.

The fuck is an industry plant

Have you been tested for autism

So there are no good artists?

I doubt that

The Weeknd
Lana Del Ray
Post-Malone
Chainsmokers

Wings are really good.

Well no, they worked within the music industry and tried to sell as many records as they can.

Try again.

getting signed to a major label with no material and having ric ocasek produce your first album.

>with no material
[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kitchen_Tapes_(Weezer_album)

Beck

lol what

For the same reason as Skrillex

What reason is that?

these idiots

How so?

not really
THIS is the quintessence of industry plant

Lol, no

No
Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes
Yes
No
No

How is a plant different from a regular artist? Aren't they both discovered by the industry and then turned into a product unless the band actively fights it?

Scientology
>
>No
See above

The difference is being discovered or created.

Lana del rey. She was failed musician who went by a different name. Then daddy invested a shit ton of money into her appearance and singing. He paid for her plastic surgery. Her daddy also got her with a big time label. Thus, she also did a complete 180 and created a new persona. I feel sorry for pretty flacko for associating with that fake witch.

I think industry plant has become sort of a meme. Isn't it a good thing for labels to invest in and develop talent before they're ready for their debut? No stumbles that way.

She also was fucking her label head for 7 years

wow that is pretty pathetic

>Scientology
But none of his songs are about Scientology and he refuses to even discuss it

To make it more depressing her music is awful

I'm not sure if it's confirmed or not but Korn was most def a plant. I think Jonathan Davis's father was a big guy in the music biz. Probably the only reason the rest of the band let him in his original stuff was weird as fuck.

>disappears into the ether between releases
>barely maintains a corporeal form
>has to wear specially designed clothing to award shows so he doesn't evaporate
>industry plant

His dad was a keyboardist for Zappa.

>His dad was a keyboardist for Zappa.
So was everyone at some point. Go at any record store in anytown, USA, and you'll know a guy, whos sister or whoever dated a Zappa keyboardist or bass player, or whatever.

plants dont do this shit
youtube.com/watch?v=byfEFAzl2Cw

I just checked, its not confirmed.

U2
Oasis

>U2

>implying

There's a difference between a label seeing somebody with potential and grooming them until they release great art which also sells well (Kate Bush) and plucking a random off the street because they are easily marketable (Halsey; her status as a plant is ridiculously well documented and transparent)

a) Nice devil trips
b) I appreciate what you mean. But I think the term industry plant has become grossly overused. Just look in the thread and see some of the acts people are naming. It's just silly.

I think the issue with this thread is that people are reading "industry plant" as if it were some kind of deep and troubling conspiracy, when it is really just meant as a way to describe musical acts that are "mass produced" from the ground up.

For some reasons "scandals" in the music industry have a kind of absurd gravity when you consider how little they really matter. Like I've never understood the big deal about payola--yes, it's bribery, but it's not like they were bribing government officials to arrest their competitors or something. They were just paying commercial radio DJs to play their music. I guess at the time it was more consequential because many people only got music via the radio, so payola was "unfairly" limiting their options, but even without outright bribery the music on the radio is still generally limited to top 40 and a few christian and classical stations.

Well, payola IS illegal so there's that.

None of these would surprise me at all, but [citation needed]

The only reason for payola to be illegal is that radio is regulated as an essential service in the public interest. Radio stations have to be licensed to broadcast, so they are subject to widely applied rules and standards.

But something like an internet-only broadcast or a critical blog or whatever wouldn't be regulated in the same way. If Pitchfork were being paid off by certain labels, it would piss off their readers I guess, but it wouldn't be illegal. To be honest I can't really see any good reason why it should be, considering that there's no way online-payola can actually hurt anyone (or rather, it can't be any more harmful than unregulatable activities like "fake news" and trolling on the internet).

I understand what you mean. Sort of enters the larger Law & Technology spectrum of issues.

When big rappers take lesser-known rappers on their labels and feature them in huge-budget videos over and over again in order to promote those artists, are those lesser artists "industry plants"?

It has always seemed really obvious to me that it's no different from the creation of The Monkees, but people get mad at me when I suggest they are doing it for profit motives.

not really, he had plenty of work under his belt before college dropout.

Idk the Monkees are a little different in that they were created for the TV show. If the Monkees never had the TV show and were presented only as artists it might be different. No one claimed the Monkees had a rags to ritches sorry and were burgeoning artists.

I think it's a first amendment issue. Speech, including paid speech, can be curtailed when there is a compelling public interest. Just as I could be arrested for shouting "fire" in the proverbial theater, it could also be illegal for me to pay someone else to do so. So the question becomes whether there is a sufficiently compelling reason to outlaw payola. If it's the case that radio is necessary for public communication in emergencies (e.g., through the emergency broadcast system), it is constitutional to curtail speech (such as through broadcast rules that must be observed to maintain a license).

Since individual websites on the internet (including commercial websites) aren't licensed like commercial radio stations, there would appear to be no identified public interest in regulating them. The equivalent mechanism for the internet to the one that makes payola illegal is probably "net neutrality." I.e., it has been recognized that it isn't a problem for individual websites to promote certain interests for profit, but it is a problem for an internet service provider to modify the totality of users downloaded data for the same purpose. So Kanye can try to bribe Scaruffi, but he can't try to bribe Comcast to make Scaruffi's website appear to favor him more.

That's probably a good balance, and highlights how a policy of absolute net neutrality is neither too restrictive to legitimate commerce nor too narrow to effectively assure the public interest in reliable communication through the internet.

But rappers are created to make videos (and the videos are often created for product placement).

Good post, thank you.

Not really Post Malone, he was doing all sorts of music until he found his niche in hip hop. He played country in his late teens and a couple years before White Iverson he tried out to be a guitarist in Crown The Empire but was cut after his string broke. He has a good sense of theory and tried making beats and got recognition through that till he make WI

They were just a rock n roll cover band that caught on the song structure of catchy pop songs and wrote their own

travis $cott no doubt

Childish Gambino beyond any doubt