How do I listen to ambient music? What frame of mind do I need? Do I need to do research on it or something...

How do I listen to ambient music? What frame of mind do I need? Do I need to do research on it or something? How do I not get bored from it?

I listen to it just like any other kind
>oh but eno said it's background music
I think that if you're really interested in the genre you will end up paying attention to it anyway

I do like to listen to it in the background like said, but I also listen to it in bed sometimes.

ambient conveys emotion and elicits pleasure just like any other music but it does so in a much more visual and personally engaging way, it's really up to you to shape the enviroment and the mood

Ambient 1 is actually ambient, but I honestly find Ambient 4 just as engaging as any other contemporary electronic music. Check it out if you're too bored by Ambient 1

i really only listen to ambient when i'm doing work or trying to fall asleep.

ambient is music contextualized by your surrounding environment. it's music for experiencing passively. it has no function in the same way a gust of wind or a distant siren has a function. it's just noise for sitting, you going nowhere and somewhere all at once in the same direction and pace of the noise itself

Sometimes, but you're thinking about it too much for it to be truly passive.

Have you tried listening to it at the airport?

well yeah, you can still think on a high level about the music you're listening to while still connecting it to the world around you. it's active listening and passive experiencing. punk music is kind of the opposite

In all seriousness I listened to it on a night flight once and it was perfect

Selected Ambient Works II on the overnight Megabus was absolutely amazing

i think ambient exists to be listened to in two ways: completely passively or taking your full attention. Its not something to be checked into from time to time, either you be fully immersed or just let it accent whatever activity you ar doing.

i disagree. i think much of ambient's attention is to sneak up on you, much like life

intention*

Listen to something better than this eno shit.

Ambient music should be consumed at night, alone and under the influence of narcotics.

There's ambient music meant to be purely background stuff, and then ambient music meant to be listened to like regular music is. Stuff like Music for Airports falls into the former category, and albums like SAW 2 are more the latter (though I'd recommend listening to that particular album in sections rather than all at once).

Just pick an album that's clearly meant to be home listening music (so, not a soundtrack or art installation piece or anything), dim the lights, and let yourself be taken by the music's atmosphere.

Ambient 4 is the strongest of the series in my opinion. It's aged incredibly well and sounds a lot closer to contemporary ambient/drone than the others.

>Eno
>Shit

just pick an artist that resonates with a feeling you already know