A scientific study proved people stopped discovering new music at age 33...

A scientific study proved people stopped discovering new music at age 33. Have you picked your favorites before they are locked in for good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rDKGkWU0lWQ
pigeonsandplanes.com/news/2016/10/the-who-roger-daltrey-rap-music
avclub.com/article/new-study-shows-people-stop-listening-new-music-33-218752
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hopefully i'll raise cool patrician kids who read pitchfork 2.0 on the brainwaves to keep me in the know

>Einstürzende Neubauten
>Swans
>Ismo Alanko
>Pimeys
>Björk
>Blixa Bargeld
>Amason
>Aphex Twin
>Kate Bush
No problem

>mfw I still have 8 years

My dad is always listening to new stuff, I call bullshit.

Yeah same. I think this is probably true on a general level since most of my friend's dads like music from their time or stuff that is reminiscent of that, but then there are people like my dad who keep up with new and interesting music better than most young people I know

>Ismo Alanko
noice.

perus suomikamaa/typical Finnish stuff
Ismo Kullervo Alanko is his best

Scientific research proved the moon is made of cheese.

Bullshit.

A scientific study proved OP is a faggot

37 y/o here

It's true. We stop caring because we realize
1) music is tied into nostalgia, and thus it's more enjoyable to continue to hear artist we liked in our teens and 20s rather than dumb shit we've never heard before, and
2) we don't have time to invest in discovering new music because we got work/bills/kids/wife/mortgage/etc

Nice Youtube copypaste.

Tell me how is 10th grade is coming along?

"Most people in the world don't actually like music. Those who do usually become musicians."

-- Kurt Cobain

If I'm still alive at 33 I've done something wrong.

I think it's bullshit anyway since I've gone out of my way to find new music for the past 8 years anyway. I don't think I'd just stop in 9 more.

But my teen years were in the early 2000s; I have no particular love for that era of music.

Are you a NEET?

Discovering music is one of my favorite things and I don't think age will stop it.

Even if that study is real it doesn't take into account that people older than 33 didn't have the internet for a good portion of their lives

Not employed but I work.

I don't want to get old and most of the stuff in the material world doesn't interest me so I have no desire for a career.

>Not employed but I work.
What do you do for a living?

How about your wide and kids?

Oddjobs, usually cleaning and babysitting.

I don't believe in marriage and I don't want kids.

Christgau said many of his peers started to give up on new music during the Carter years. He did also note that a lot of them were still able to maintain a candid admiration for punk and alternative bands, but hip-hop was completely beyond them.

So you are pretty much just a 19 year old

All I listen to is Shoegaze and Dreampop and I'm 20. Guess I'm settled

That's not a generational thing so much as it was that black music in general is pretty indigestible to most white people. Most of the white baby boomers he's referring to probably didn't listen to soul and funk in the 60s-70s either.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I have freedom which is the most valuable thing to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=rDKGkWU0lWQ

>being a manchild isn't a bad thing
Sure

Enjoy being a slave.
I'll enjoy having a life.

Still, many dadrockers like Bob Dylan had a candid admiration of hip-hop. Roger Daltrey said that sadly enough, rappers are the only artists around today who have anything meaningful to say.

I know this is bait, but you could've made it a little more believable. What if you're a musician? Incorporate that into your pasta and you might get a lot more of those sweet (You)'s.

They're professional musicians, a quite separate breed from the casual listening white dadrocker who only cares about whatever was out when he was 15.

Sure it is. The study he decided not to post for some reason. It's bait, simple as that.

Please post that interview. There's an ever growing list of people to get disappointed in.

>Enjoy being a slave.
I'm self employed.

Enjoy flipping burgers
>What if you're a musician?
I am actually.

pigeonsandplanes.com/news/2016/10/the-who-roger-daltrey-rap-music

It's funny because I already said what I do.

You're still a slave.

>It's funny because I already said what I do.
Odd Jobs?

Yeah enjoy flipping burgers in no time

>You're still a slave.
How so?

At least sage when you reply to bait.

>I disagree so it must be b8!
Excellent critical reasoning user

Yeah probably. In fact, Christgau said when he first started, most rock critics didn't give a shit about black musicians other than Chuck Berry and bluesmen. He was one of the only guys that took an active interest in James Brown, Diana Ross, P-Funk, etc, and there was definitely a snob/racist undercurrent with a lot of rock critics.

Nope, I'd just go without working. Thanks to my excellent leeching abilities I actually have enough to live off of for quite some time.

avclub.com/article/new-study-shows-people-stop-listening-new-music-33-218752

I call bullshit. that study just shows that top 40 music listeners are younger

Man if it ain't bait it's sad.

>Thanks to my excellent leeching abilities
So you are a NEET

That thing I already said I was? Yeah, not much of a surprise.

Learn to manipulate people and gvt, live virtually free.

Why? What's the problem?

>rappers are the only artists around today who have anything meaningful to say

Because they're black, grew up in a shithole with little to no future prospects? Same could be said for the hundreds of millions of deprived white people.

i havent given a shit about discovering new music since i was maybe 22

im locked in

>a scientific study
>proved

stopped reading there

i think you can still enjoy new music but it would need to have some kind of familiarity to you or just blatant influence from stuff that you liked or were exposed to

>I call bullshit. that study just shows that top 40 music listeners are younger
It's all music listened to on Spotify, and the conclusions reasonably explain the lack of older people listening to new music

The stuff that I do has a very low mindless-fun quotient, which is important to all forms of mass entertainment. Unless you can do the dishes to it, unless you can talk over it, then it's drawing too much of your attention. For the broadest base of American pop-music consumption, the mindless-fun quotient is very important. You buy a record because it reinforces your lifestyle. Not necessarily to listen to it, but just to have it with you, just to be in the atmosphere of your life so you can groove along with your peer group with this thing supporting your aesthetic. You're upwardly mobile, you're a groovy guy, kinda modern, so you have fusion music. You're a laid-back, romantic person, you have the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt. These are artifacts that support your lifestyle. Now what kind of a person buys one of my records? Obviously people who don't necessarily conform to the standard configuration. But they need to be entertained just as much as the other people. Everybody is entitled to listen to the kind of music or see the kind of film or whatever entertainment that makes them feel good. That's what entertainment is for – to make you feel good. And theoretically, there must be people out there who use the records that I make to reinforce their lifestyles or whatever image they have of themselves or whatever image they have of the way they live. The easiest way to figure it is that there are lyrics on the record that say things you agree with. People who listen to my records are cynical. Nobody wants the feeling that they're totally alone.

I'm 33 and still discovering

36 here still look for new stuff though I will admit it's slowed way down since my twenties.

That study is for casuals, those of us that have been into music since children are still checking out the new release pages

/thread

>Most people in the world don't actually like music

Yeah okay junkie

32 here

Unless I fucking JUST myself in the next 6 months, I dont see how I'll stop seeking new music. Once I'm 33.

>"Most people in the world don't actually like music. Those who do usually become musicians."

>Googles this
>the only result is this thread where you typed this

Aren't most rappers just bullshitting, don't most of them come from the middle class or higher?

>"a" scientific study
this is some "I FUCKING love science" tier shit. Go back to facebook.

>nobody at work who listens to music
>no friends who you talk to about music
>the time you are now spending pouring gasoline into your car comes directly from your 'discover new music' time, naturally

Have you ever even met someone over 30 who is really into music? They do not use spotify. People over 30 who are really into music are buying vinyl on discogs, ranting about how "mp3s never sound good to me, man". I'm 26 and there is a lot of stuff from the early 90s I listen to that is not on Spotify simply because the record companies are either gone or holding out (or simply don't care to put the records/bands on there).

Just as people were wrong in analysing 'general music trends' through last.fm, they're wrong to do so with Spotify and YouTube. But gotta get them clicks, yo.

>Have you ever even met someone over 30 who is really into music?
Yes
>They do not use spotify.
They do.

Any other questions?

>I'm 26
Opinion discarded

>Yes
You have to exclude yourself user
>They Do
What did I just say?
>Opinion Discarded
Same here

>Any other questions?
How is it being a faggot?

Some do, some don't.

IIRC Jay Z and 50 Cent used to be drug dealers involved in actual shootings.

I've somewhere over 2,000 compact discs
Filled a 160 gig iPod

I swore to myself I am not going to start buying vinyl

Don't know how long I'm going to last before I give in.

do you always back up your posts this well? I feel thoroughly mentally emancipated.

music for this feel?

>You have to exclude yourself user
I don't use Spotify.
>What did I just say?
Something not relevant.

>How is it being a faggot?
I wouldn't know.
>do you always back up your posts this well?
What do you want? In know people my age who use SPotify, so user is incorrect. There's nothing more to say.
>I feel thoroughly mentally emancipated.
There's a first time for everything

>Don't know how long I'm going to last before I give in

I like to think of them more as merch of my favourite bands. Cooler on my shelf than some crappy t-shirt that will fade in a few weeks

>mfw still have 14 years

There is also the nostalgia.

When I got about 5 years old I'd look through my dads records all the time.

UNDERAGE

GTFO

>le die young meme

33-14=19.
Learn to math faggot.

The real locking in doesn't happen til much later, and it happens with more than just music obviously
We're all fine

Liar

Zappa knew what he was talking about

love when under-21ers get so butthurt about being called underage

>A waste of money says that this BS is correct, tomorrow it will be false.
0/10

Not possible

>Kurt Cobain
>Respectable musical opinons
kek

>Manipulate people and gvt, live virtually free
time for your free helicopter ride, famalam.

How's your music career coming?

>Kurt was a musician so his opinions are deffo valid

Kinda stagnate right now, you know? But hey, at least I'm not famous for being an edgy, suicidal junkie

Trump is a cuck who isn't doing anything.

Thanks for paying for my food.

>implying my response has anything to do with any politician, living or dead.
nice deductive skills, detective

19 = underage.

He's right

>you know?
I wouldn't know. I play in several bands and have to turn down gigs constantly
>at least I'm not famous for being an edgy, suicidal junkie
I could only wish

>I wouldn't know. I play in several bands and have to turn down gigs constantly
I dont believe that
>I could only wish
Careful not to cut yourself on that edge, desu

Only people who act that stupid are Trump memers.

Kinda obvious.

>I dont believe that
I don't care what non-musicians believe
>Careful not to cut yourself on that edge, desu
Like when you implied Cobain's opinions weren't respected or that he wasn't musical?

Never said he wasnt musical.
Never said his opinions weren't respected. They obviously are. I implied I didnt respect them.
Also, being a musician doesnt entitle you to a monopoly on musical criticism. I disagreed with Cobain's opinion. I thought it was stupid. That's not edgy. That's a normal thing to do. Try again.

>I implied I didnt respect them.
Why not?
>being a musician doesnt entitle you to a monopoly on musical criticism
No but it just makes my criticism better than yours.
>I disagreed with Cobain's opinion.
What opinion?
>That's a normal thing to do
Blindly disagreeing wioth someone you've never met about a thing you don't understand is a normal thing to do?

>No but it just makes my criticism better than yours.
No, it doesn't. It absolutely does not. Just because you partake in some activity doesn't automatically make your criticism more valid than someone else's.
>Blindly disagreeing wioth someone you've never met about a thing you don't understand is a normal thing to do?
I wasn't blindly disagreeing. I read the quote that was put forth, and I disagreed with it. I rather enjoy music of many kinds, and I'm not a musician. You don't have to be a musician to appreciate music. I think his opinion on the people who "really like music" was a stupid opinion. Were any of his other opinions stupid? I don't know, I haven't read up on them. Forgive me for saying I didn't respect his "opinions". I don't respect that particular "opinion".
Obviously, Cobain was a more talented musician than I am, because I'm not a musician. That doesn't mean I have to bow to every one of his opinions simply because of his superior musical knowledge.. He said something I disagree with. That's it. The whole edgy suicidal junkie thing was really more of a joke than a serious insult.

>"Most people in the world don't actually like music. Those who do usually become musicians."
This hot take is correct.

Non musicians don't actually know what it takes to make music for a living. Not many people would choose it as a profession when they realize what it involves.

Musicians don't just like their own music either, they buy records from other people and listen to music more than most of the public does.

>Blindly disagreeing wioth someone you've never met about a thing you don't understand is a normal thing to do?

Not him, what's wrong with that?

Practically everyone listens to music regularly. To say they need to become a musician to enjoy it is absurd, maybe 10% of everybody I know has picked up an instrument in their lives, so the other 90% are incapable of enjoying music. It's a stupid statement.

complete BS. my dad is in his mid forties and his favorite band, Being As An Ocean, is only a few years old. we saw them live and he said it was the best show he'd ever been to.